Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s gesture politics that has no place in sport.
So should we now stop singing songs about the pope, the Vatican and rosary beads as not to hurt the RCs who are players ?
You appear to just start repeating the same point that's already been explained to you once you drive your argument down a dead-end.

You've already been told that yes we should stop singing those songs, not just for the reason you quote but also for the fact that it is not allowed under the rules, the club has been penalised for it previously and there is also a policy within the club to ban anyone caught doing so.

You oppose players silently taking a knee for a few seconds prior to matches as "ramming something down your throat" and "nonsense", but think it is "fascist" to stop/oppose people singing "Fck the Pope"?

It’s gesture politics that has no place in sport.
So should we now stop singing songs about the pope, the Vatican and rosary beads as not to hurt the RCs who are players ?
We should certainly stop singing those songs when it clearly damages the club and it’s reputation i.e. with UEFA fines and stadium closures. It’s quite clear that it damages Rangers and it’s blatantly obvious that booing our own players will achieve nothing positive as well.

We’re trying to convince Glen Kamara and Connor Goldson to sign new contracts here. Do you think fans booing them will make them more likely to stay?

And where should the gestures stop? Should we stop minute silences? Should players stop blessing themselves going on the pitch or raising their hands to the sky like Morelos does every game? The knee is not doing anything that harms you or anyone else. If it makes them feel better then let them get on with it for all of the five seconds it takes.

Interesting to see those defending the booing on here claim they won't boo it themselves. At least they're ashamed enough of their stance to not own up to booing.

Antiracism is racism. We are all apparently guilty because we are white. ask a Jew where that ultimately leads. The Critical Race Theory that BLM promote collectivises all white people under the rubric of White Supremacy imputing the racial guilt of our ancestors to the present generation. All of us are guilty just because of the melanin content of our skin. We have no right to speak any kind of truth within this paradigm. It’s kind of ironic the number of peo0le on here telling others to shut up. CRT is evil and it is divisive. I don’t see antiracism when I see the knee being taken, I see the exact opposite. Because, fundamentally, that is what the symbols means. To boo is to register a protest against this. To those who understand, this isn’t optional, it is necessary. Maybe most on here are happy to end up in some white gulag. If you do, you will have plenty of time to reflect on this. On your knees.

Communism advances through the actions of the useful idiots who promote and perpetuate and promulgate its values, symbols and principles without even understanding they are doing so. in Scotland, that would include football players, amongst many others.
Your lack of respect for the players who 1) have done so much for us and 2) have experienced worse racism than you or I ever have or will is, quite frankly, reprehensible.

"Useful idiots", ffs.

Im not sure why this has went on for 16 pages TBH.

Your choices really should be support it or dont, but do both quietly and thats it.

I find it incredulous that any white person can think they get to tell black people how they should go about showing support to victims of racism.

I doubt anyone being aginst it is of any relevance (I dont particularly support it myself) but to boo it to the point where its clearly audible in a half empty Ibrox is really quite saddening.

You seriously suggesting that's a major desecration of your human rights or something?
No, not at all. It was a simple question.

How long does this go for and what is the desired end goal? What are the demands of the campaign so we can help work towards that and move on?

Really wish our players come up with something original that gets the point over because every game it’s going to be the same.
Why should our players have to come up with something else. Its an established symbol against racism across the world, and particularly in sport now, but because wee Jimmy fae Pollok read that it's a Marxist conspiracy and can't keep his stupid mouth shut for the 10 seconds or so it takes then we should change it?

Remember when we pilloried that lot for introducing a minutes applause when someone died because their arsehole fans couldn't behave? That's what you're suggesting now.

Let's just root out the arseholes. Problem solved.

The kneeling is just another example of the Americanisation of global culture.

People around the world are just desperate to copy Americans they follow on social media.
America is the global symbol of capitalism.

By opposing Americanisation, you're actually furthering a Marxist agenda.

Ask yourself, why is it that people want to be more like Americans? What is it that is appealing about it, and why is that a bad thing?

No, not at all. It was a simple question.

How long does this go for and what is the desired end goal? What are the demands of the campaign so we can help work towards that and move on?
Having respect for our own players wishes and maybe showing a bit of solidarity with guys like Glen Kamara would probably be a good start.
I don’t disagree that any solution or end point is I’ll defined but again not really a valid reason to take issue with what the players are saying / doing.

I'm sure there are, certainly wouldnt dream of suggesting otherwise. Only point i'll make is that from my comfy middle class world i've never had to worry about the colour of my skin holding me back from when i first walked into primary one, till this very day.

On that basis it would be appallingly disrespectful of me to deride others who have and continue to experience it from making some sort of statement to remind me (and people like me) that this uncomfortable truth remains alive and well in our society. Especially when they are playing for the team i support. Wouldnt even enter my head to make a stand against that. And as of this morning i haven't seen one cohesive argument for booing such an act.
And guess what? There's millions of black people will never experience racism either. Some are even encouraged to apply for jobs where white people are banned from applying. Crazy eh?

Not that I have strong feelings about either of these countries, nor would I claim to understand the nuances of each situation having had no involvement with either, but what exactly does that have to do with Rangers?
If you don't know that we have links to Ulster and the loyalist people over there, then i suggest you check it out.

So do you agree these songs should not be sung at any our games ? Yes or No
NPOR
F*** the pope and the Vatican
Trip to Ibrox

tenor.gif

NPOR
Trip to Ibrox
I think you've been told many times over the last however many years, not only be people on this thread, but by the club and (via punishment from) UEFA that no, these songs should not be sung at Ibrox.

At this point you are either drunk or trying to troll.

NPOR
Trip to Ibrox
No I don't. I don't think we should sing anything that could potentially lead to sanctions. Just incase you missed it, we've already had partial ground closures. Now the floor is yours, which fixture was it you imagined NPOR was sung at Ibrox?

Having respect for our own players wishes and maybe showing a bit of solidarity with guys like Glen Kamara would probably be a good start.
I don’t disagree that any solution or end point is I’ll defined but again not really a valid reason to take issue with what the players are saying / doing.
To be honest I think taking issue with any campaign thats demands are ill defined isn’t just valid but essential.

We need to be grown ups about a serious issue, if people are engaging in a campaign of protest which they are continuing for over a year, I believe that the demands of the protest need to be made formally known.

I’d rather know exactly what change the players seek and see if I agree or disagree and then what I can or can’t do to support them in trying to achieve it.

A blanket vague no racism and let’s all pat each other on the back while we perform “empty gestures” to quote Goldson isn’t solving anything.

If you don't know that we have links to Ulster and the loyalist people over there, then i suggest you check it out.
It's got absolutely nothing to do with my support of Rangers football club.

We've got links to every country in the world. The political situation in then means nothing to me and I'm not about to have my views decided based upon which football team I support.

So we show our tolerance by disallowing political dissent to political expression.
I'm sorry but is your political dissent somehow above criticism? because it's not that you're not allowed to. It's that you think that you shouldn't face any consequences for doing it. You've stated on here you back it, these are the consequences.
Walk me through what you consider to be the consequences of booing OUR players (you know, that multicultural group that gave us everything they had to deliver us the most important title of the last 20 years)?

Actually, for the record, I believe it absolutely isn't political dissent. If you really had an issue with BLM you would be spending time and money getting out information to counteract it. I'm yet to be handed a leaflet outside Ibrox stating that the players taking a knee is symbolic of a marxist ideology along with pictorial evidence of Scotty Arfield's Josef Stalin tattoo.

No I don't. I don't think we should sing anything that could potentially lead to sanctions. Just incase you missed it, we've already had partial ground closures. Now the floor is yours, which fixture was it you imagined NPOR was sung at Ibrox?
No sanctions exist in Scottish football, so for you it’s okay for us to continue to sing our songs in Scotland just not in European games?

That is how I see for what it’s worth, don’t sing songs uefa unfortunately punish us for but sing them loud and proud in Scotland where no sanctions exist for the club.

Dont try to be a smart arse with me. Many Rangers and loyalist people have died due to people who represent them. Maybe that's ok with you, it isnt with me.

What Rangers people have died at the hands of people representing Palestine?

To be honest I think taking issue with any campaign thats demands are ill defined isn’t just valid but essential.

We need to be grown ups about a serious issue, if people are engaging in a campaign of protest which they are continuing for over a year, I believe that the demands of the protest need to be made formally known.

I’d rather know exactly what change the players seek and see if I agree or disagree and then what I can or can’t do to support them in trying to achieve it.

A blanket vague no racism and let’s all pat each other on the back while we perform “empty gestures” to quote Goldson isn’t solving anything.
So to be clear booing Rangers players is valid on the basis that a full strategy review of taking the knee isn’t available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back