Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% bang on

Are Admin on Holiday ?

The amount of total colin nish they have allowed this past week is shocking

the wokery and negativity threads being permitted every day to sit top of page 1 is a lurkers fantasy

The place should be buzzing for start of 56 and the demise of the cover up club, instead every day we have navel gazing threads and those happy to spread unrest about "Alfie missing" - "bad Product" - it is obvious "sleepers" are on here to cause mischief to divert our attention.
Thing is mate, it's not. Sadly a decent chunk of our support really are greeting faced spoilt weans.

I know there are exceptions, Michael fucking Stewart, but I have always been into the idea of us picking up players from the academies of the better EPL sides,

These players will have had absolute quality coaching from a really young age, must have something to them and have really failed to find first team football as they aren't as good as players who are top end levels.

A player like McCann could be a Kamara but skipping out the Dundee part

and the £50K bargain and the Dundee 1st team regular

I'd agree both have different attributes.
Obviously both offer something different.
I'm just glad we have both on that side then tav and Patterson on the other.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate but I'm saying no more incase I'm accused of derailing the thread.

"Rangers make move for Ajax youth kenneth Taylor"
There you go a rumour made up by me. I don't have a Twitter with wee blue tick next to my name. Or any sources within the auchenhowie bogs so make of it what you want.
So... anyone for a Smail Prevljak rumour?

:))

Funny thing is, if we do actually sign someone or there is a big rumour a new thread is started and allowed.....
....so, what is the actual point of this thread?

Do you guys think we're waiting for CL qualification (money) plus/or sellings to buy ?
I think we're more than ok in attack and between the sticks, only signings I'd wait for are for CB and DM/CM positions.

Veerman deal seems complicated with PSV now.

Do you guys think we're waiting for CL qualification (money) plus/or sellings to buy ?
I think we're more than ok in attack and between the sticks, only signings I'd wait for are for CB and DM/CM positions.

Veerman deal seems complicated with PSV now.
I think we’re waiting to advance to next round in Europe, where if worst comes to it and we don’t qualify for the riches of the Champions League we have a €5m parachute payment on top of Europa league money.

After reading through the numerous and often contradictory posts on the 'McCann signing', I'm none the wiser as to why Rangers actually need him.

Granted, based on the youtube clips the young lad looks a fine player, but midfield is hardly a place that needs strengthening in the current Rangers squad. IMO, the only thing lacking is a midfielder that can shoot accurately from distance - an Albertz type if you will.
It does needs strengthening, we will have a big bid in for Kamara soon enough, Jack and Davis won't be around forever and arfield will be in that category. If we can get Kelly and McCann up to speed in the next year, conditioning to the squad and first team environment then we will be in a good place when they step in.

So because I'm bored and nothing seems to be happening transfer wise to keep us interested, I decided to try take an objective look at our squad to see where we are what we really need.

The main objective and what we should be looking at, is the squad good enough to win the league? The bigger picture here is obviously direct entry into the Champions League group stages. The riches generated from the group stages allow us an opportunity to further invest in the squad and become a team strong enough to make the group stages even if we have to go through the qualifying rounds.

We have to become self sustaining as a club, and soon. Getting into the group stages next year is a massive step towards this. We really should be focusing on ensuring we win the league and make it in next season. We also need to think player sales as well, we can't guarantee champions league football every season, I think the model the club is going for is the club revenue covers all our expenses out with transfer expenditure. Player sales will in the future fund our own transfers, along with any profits made in Europe. I think everyone is well aware of this tbh. We will focus on value, sell a high value asset for over 10m and replace him with someone who costs half that much but who has the potential to be better. The real challenge is getting the squad to a position where it is a simple case of one in, one out. We don't want to he in the position the mhanks have found themselves in where one player sale has to fund a whole new defence. The question, are we there yet? I believe we are very close.

Starting in the GK position.
Probably out lowest priority, at least for this season. McGregor, what can we really say that hadn't been said. Number 1 for a reason. Slightly concerned at his advancing years but nothing to worry about for the season ahead. McLaughlin is more than capable as a number 2, filling in when and where he is needed. Would we be comfortable with him, long term after Mcgregor retires, being number 1? I'm not so sure. Maybe we have the answer already in McCrorie, I haven't seen much of him tbh, maybe someone who has can answer that? In summary though, we do need to start thinking about the future, long term in the goalkeeping department, but it's very much the lowest priority area for us. By far and away the best in the league here.

Centre Back. Godson, Helander and Balogun more than good enough to rotate through the two centre back positions. No issues at all there, Katic can hopefully get back on his feet and fill in when needed, along with Simpson as 5th choice IMO, capable but not likely to be fighting for a start. We are well set here, and for a few years, maybe bring someone in to replace Balogun next season and watch what happens with Katic, if he can't find his feet he may need a replacement but fingers crossed the big guy hits the ground running. In terms of transfer value though, not the highest, Goldson would command a decent fee but I can't see him leaving now tbh. Katic maybe if he gets going again? Regardless, not a concern for the season ahead, more than good enough to win the league. Another low priority.

Full backs. Tavernier, Patterson, Barisic, Bassey. Best 4 full backs in the league. Would maybe struggle for squad rotation if one of them got a long term injury but all 4 are good enough. Maybe Bassey is sometimes a bit raw if being hyper critical but he has looked good preseason. In terms of value, Barisic and Tav would command a decent fee, even if they are getting towards their 30s. If Patterson has another good season and picks up more caps for Scotland, he would be worth an absolute fortune imo. Again, for the season ahead, more than good enough.

Midfield. Here's where it gets interesting. On paper, it looks like we have an abundance of centre mids. And we do.
However, you have to consider how we play. Gerrard likes 2 midfielders sitting a little deeper and one further forward.
The deeper role will be filled by Kamara, Jack, Davis and Lundstram. 4 absolutely quality players. However, Jack is plagued by injury problems and Davis isn't getting any younger, can he really be expected to play at the same level and intensity as last season? He needs to play a few less games than last season at least. Lundstram will undoubtedly help out here. But an injury to Jack and one other leaves us a bit thin here. Young Kelly looks more than capable of stepping up, but it's unfair to expect him to be an ever reliable presence at midfield when he's barely played a game for us. He should be with the squad this season, absolutely. Bed him in, making plenty of sub appearances and a few starts here and there and look to progressing him next season. Maybe he can be a straight replacement for Davis? Anyway, I would be happier with one more body to fill this role (Veerman or ths boy from Coventry would be ideal ). Not only for extra cover but to add a bit of value, Kamara is obviously one of our prized assets, but we are unlikely to sell any the others, at least for a decent fee.
In the more attacking midfield position, we have Hagi, Arfield and I like Aribo in this role too. Good blend of experience and youth here, enough quality to win the league too. Plenty of high value assets in Hagi and Aribo, who would both command sizeable fees. Another low priority area.

Forwards. Morelos, Kent, Roofe, Sakala, Wright, Defoe, Itten. Formidable strength here. Lots of different styles too. Want pace? Kent, Sakala, Wright. Want to hold up play and run a defence ragged? Kent, Morelos, Roofe. Two up top? Morelos, Roofe. Or Morelos, Sakala. Or Roofe, Itten. We are spoiled for choice here. And value too. Morelos and Kent are two of our highest value players, and Sakala and Itten both have the potential.to be. Maybe we could use another wide option for depth, (hopefully we get rid of Barker and Jones and if we don't bring someone in, maybe Mcpake or Kennedy could get a chance?)

To summarise, one more.holding midfielder. (And if you want to spoil me, a utility full back and winger for cover but that is absolutely not needed).Thereafter, it would just be replace whoever we sell with like for like, high potential high value players.

Long term, a replacement for Mcgregor and Davis (if McCrorie and Kelly don't seem like they will be good enough) and another first choice centre back.

The reality is though, our squad is the strongest in every department in terms of quality and depth in the league. No one else can really compete with us, it should be more than enough to see us through and into the riches of the champions league. I just don't want us to make the same mistakes the mhanks made and rest on our laurels. We need to address problems in the squad before they happen whilst we have the opportunity to do so.
Good post. I wont be overly fussed as long as we keep everyone until Jan at least. Lundstram and Sakala look really impressive already. Get past Malmo and at the very least we may see 1 Kent type signing possibly Veerman. Not that I've seen much of the boy but seems very highly thought of.

I think we’re waiting to advance to next round in Europe, where if worst comes to it and we don’t qualify for the riches of the Champions League we have a €5m parachute payment on top of Europa league money.
That 5m parachute is massive. With the crowds back and we progress thats serious money. The CL would be sensational though.

Don't get the McCann deal in all honesty especially if he's papped to the B team even a year there isn't gonna guarantee him a first team place 12 months down the line.

Looks a promising talent but a strange deal especially at the reported cost.

Essentially £750,000 for B team signing that's if he doesn't make our first team that's a risk.

Don't get the McCann deal in all honesty especially if he's papped to the B team even a year there isn't gonna guarantee him a first team place 12 months down the line.

Essentially £750,000 for B team signing that's if he doesn't make our first team that's a risk.
He won’t be coming to us to be a B team signing, he has talent and essentially will be for the future but i see him contributing to the first team.

Hope our manager at press conference tomorrow mentions update s on new signings
I don't think he'll reveal anything,poker faced,the way I like it, annoying as that is for us. It'll be all the more exciting to see who the two targets are. These things are never revealed until any deals are pretty much signed and sealed.

what deal mate?

I'm going with the recruitment team on this one mate. The £750K figure is a "could be" if he plays so many games, gets caps, gets sold on etc. If the lad signs it'll be with a plan to benefit Rangers IMHO.

Do you not think the recruitment team deserve our trust yet?

He's not being signed for the B team.

The club have a 6-12 month development plan. While he'll be playing regular games with the B side over that initial period, he'll be working with our excellent strength and conditioning team and settling in, he's very much being signed for the first team.

See tbh as much as I think Veerman is quality I don't think we need him he isn't even a Kamara replacement would be more of a Hagi replacement if he left imo with the emergence of Kelly our midfield looks really strong

See tbh as much as I think Veerman is quality I don't think we need him he isn't even a Kamara replacement would be more of a Hagi replacement if he left imo with the emergence of Kelly our midfield looks really strong
If Gerrard is considering spending 7m on him then he probably thinks he takes us to the next level. It’s okay saying our midfield looks really strong, which it does but we should always be looking to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back