Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate if this does happen on Saturday as I said on another thread on this topic which ended up locked, I will stop attending Ibrox.

I will also have no alternative but to leave the stadium immediately.

It seems surreal and unreal that I am saying these words and having to take this personal action but this is where I am now at and it pains me horribly.

I honestly could not accept Rangers players being booed by a section of 'supporters' for making a stance against racism they themselves have and are suffering on account of their ethnicity and skin colour.

I realise that Rangers FC and the vast majority of supporters have done and are doing everything possible in their fight for equality and inclusiveness for all.

Maybe the club will make comment before the game reminding those who need reminding that their actions and conduct are vitally important.

It defies belief that in the midst of a celebratory mood on Saturday that 5 seconds before we kick off a new season as invincibles that it would even cross any Rangers supporters mind to boo the players taking the knee.

It has truly become the enemy within that we are dealing with.
Why did you not stop attending Ibrox when our Catholic players were subjected to anti Catholic songs for the entire 90 minutes?

The selective offended on here are unbelievable.

It’s not classed as racism they both are just cobbled together as the same charge.

I’d you think they are class the same could you imagine the punishment for a club who’s fans sang about upto their knees in the blood of a derogatory term for black people.

our club was not punished for racism so absolutely stop being disingenuous and trying to portray it that way

Rangers has never and will never have a racism problem

The “F word” is classed as both racist and sectarian, both in Scottish Law and in terms of UEFA’s rules.

You might not like that, but it’s just the fact of the matter.

“a charge which incorporates sectarian singing.”

There isn’t a debate to be had around taking the knee. There isn’t scope to play semantics. Our players will take the knee for as long as they see fit. I will support them. If you don’t support them, then our captain, our vice captain and other members of our squad are well entitled to think that you’re racist. And they’d be right.

There isn’t a debate to be had around taking the knee. There isn’t scope to play semantics. Our players will take the knee for as long as they see fit. I will support them. If you don’t support them, then our captain, our vice captain and other members of our squad are well entitled to think that you’re racist. And they’d be right.
Everything about the knee aside

Anyone who claims Rangers were punished for racism is lying and I really have to wonder about the motives for trying to spin the way uefa puts charges together

You’re another who it’s a binary agree with me or you’re racist mate so we will have to agree to disagree and as don’t see any point in us discussing this.

I'm not sure we can even say it was "wrongly". We've had so many warnings from UEFA, we know FARE have it in for us, and yet some utter morons in our support give them exactly what they want. Our enemies dig our grave for us and we willingly lie down in it.
I say wrongly because 19th Century Terrorist doesn’t equal Catholic but that debates been done to death on here so let’s just leave that and not derail the thread.

If, after every explanation given to you by the players about this gesture not being political, not about marxism and all that bollocks, defunding the police etc, you still decide to boo our players for taking the knee then I honestly don't know what to say to you.

All you have to do is keep your mouth shut for 10 seconds and give these players who have suffered vile racist abuse for months and disgusting social media pile ons of abuse led by nationalist politicians your support.

Why wouldn't you give them your support ?

If, after every explanation given to you by the players about this gesture not being political, not about marxism and all that bollocks, defunding the police etc, you still decide to boo our players for taking the knee then I honestly don't know what to say to you.

All you have to do is keep your mouth shut for 10 seconds and give these players who have suffered vile racist abuse for months and disgusting social media pile ons of abuse led by nationalist politicians your support.

Why wouldn't you give them your support ?
Who are you directing this at? Everyone on here, well apart from one mischief maker, has said they wont boo them.

All I'm reading is morons, get to f**k from the club, ect. Your aiming this at the wrong people. Take it to the ones who are doing it, which will be Ibrox tomorrow.

There will be very few doing it, shouldn't take long to sort it.

Who are you directing this at? Everyone on here, well apart from one mischief maker, has said they wont boo them.

All I'm reading is morons, get to f**k from the club, ect. Your aiming this at the wrong people. Take it to the ones who are doing it, which will be Ibrox tomorrow.

It may help get through to people who were reading this and considering booing but haven't piped up. Or, it may have convinced people who know someone who has said they might boo to try and talk them out of it. Or, it might have convinced people who are going to the game on Saturday to cheer our players while they take the knee to drown out the boos.

Last edited:
It may help get through to people who were reading this and considering it but haven't piped up. Or, it may have convinced people who know someone who has said they might boo to try and talk them out of it. Or, it might have convinced people who are going to the game on Saturday to cheer our players while they take the knee to drown out the boos.
This is the thing though, I've met many bears as I usually do through the week and nobody has even mentioned it.

I wasnt particularly bothering myself about it, but on here it has got me worried. I hope to f**k nothing happens and they can do the knee for as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.

Mate if this does happen on Saturday as I said on another thread on this topic which ended up locked, I will stop attending Ibrox.

I will also have no alternative but to leave the stadium immediately.

It seems surreal and unreal that I am saying these words and having to take this personal action but this is where I am now at and it pains me horribly.

I honestly could not accept Rangers players being booed by a section of 'supporters' for making a stance against racism they themselves have and are suffering on account of their ethnicity and skin colour.

I realise that Rangers FC and the vast majority of supporters have done and are doing everything possible in their fight for equality and inclusiveness for all.

Maybe the club will make comment before the game reminding those who need reminding that their actions and conduct are vitally important.

It defies belief that in the midst of a celebratory mood on Saturday that 5 seconds before we kick off a new season as invincibles that it would even cross any Rangers supporters mind to boo the players taking the knee.

It has truly become the enemy within that we are dealing with.
I would urge you to reconsider this, no matte how appalled or frustrated you may feel. If we lose decent supporters like you - and you are in the vast majority of RFC fans - then you're leaving the club to the mercy of the brain-dead.

This is the thing though, I've met many bears as I usually do through the week and nobody has even mentioned it.

I wasnt particularly bothering myself about it, but on here it has got me worried. I hope to f**k nothing happens and they can do the knee for as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.
And that's great, but we know with almost certainty that some idiots are going to boo on Saturday because they did the same at all of our friendlies so far. Anything that stands a chance of getting through to them is a step in the right direction. The arguments on this thread have come about because the reasoning given by the people who are opposed to our players taking the knee is, quite frankly, risible.

And that's great, but we know with almost certainty that some idiots are going to boo on Saturday because they did the same at all of our friendlies so far. Anything that stands a chance of getting through to them is a step in the right direction. The arguments on this thread have come about because the reasoning given by the people who are opposed to our players taking the knee is, quite frankly, risible.
Is there no roar at Ibrox when the teams get ready to kick off, as they do it just as they're about to start, surely it's easily drowned out.

How many were actually booing? A lot, a few or did some boo the one's doing it.

One Glen Kamara sung by the fans would drown out any minority booing and show support for our player who suffered the worst on-pitch racism imaginable just a few months ago.
That's all it takes mate. Nothing hard about that and should in fact become a ritual at all our games.

I refuse to believe our supporters have all of a sudden become the sporting wing of the BNP. Never known it before, even back in the day when football was far more barking than it is these days.

If your opinion on this is informed by either extreme of these insane bot driven political divides I don't really know what to tell you but if you can't at least stay quiet whilst players collectively tell each other they have their backs then you could always just stay at home and chuck something at the tele.

If your opinion on this is informed by either extreme of these insane bot driven political divides I don't really know what to tell you but if you can't at least stay quiet whilst players collectively tell each other they have their backs then you could always just stay at home and chuck something at the tele.

I know you're being facetious, but there was a poster on here the other day who claimed he booed the knee against Real Madrid while watching at home on his laptop. 45-years-old.

That's all it takes mate. Nothing hard about that and should in fact become a ritual at all our games.

I refuse to believe our supporters have all of a sudden become the sporting wing of the BNP. Never known it before, even back in the day when football was far more barking than it is these days.
It isn’t the case and I understand the dislike of the movement behind the gesture and wish a more uniting alternative was available but the players have already explained that their motivation has nothing to do with that and we should respect that.

I think everyone can join in supporting Glen Kamara tomorrow.

Why did you not stop attending Ibrox when our Catholic players were subjected to anti Catholic songs for the entire 90 minutes?

The selective offended on here are unbelievable.
this is 2021. We are living in the UK a country that is rapidly moving towards a post christian society where the vast majority of the population are of no religion at all. We have a nation that has a long and proud history of immigration and integration. In most parts of the UK immigrants are assimilated and have provided great inputs to our nation. The west of Scotland has a bit of catching up to do granted.

At Ibrox we have had some great players in our team that aren't white protestants. The overwhelming majority of hte support couldn't care less what religion or ethnicity a player is they are judged on what they do on the park and what they bring to the club. Which is exactly the way it should be.

We have made huge progress towards removing the sectarian baggage a lot of our fans had. That is great. You have to accept that the powers in UEFA or elsewhere aren't going to pay attention to any perceived nuances on discrimination. If we sing anti catholic songs they will punish the same as any racist chants. they see the both tags as discrimination and equal. Doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks.

We have to get the message here, the world has moved on. So have we in the main as a support. Thise that cant get that in their heads need to find something else to do on a match day. I don't care what it is but sooner or later they will be removed form the stadium if they persist with offensive add ons. Be much simpler to just stop this shit altogether.

Our biggest enemy and our enemies biggest asset is often the minority of our own support.

Rangers players, just like the England national team have clearly stated that taking the knee is not a political gesture but rather a humanitarian one. Football players from ALL backgrounds are coming together as one to show solidarity against racism.
Mark Walters :
"The fact that they are all coming together and doing something about it is fantastic and will help young players coming through, not only in football but ordinary people. Because it’s all right for Mark Walters or so-called well-known people, but it’s the ordinary person walking around who maybe gets abused in work, and it helps people like them."
Footballers are influencers and are using their position to highlight a societal problem. It's fantastic that racism against footballers like Glen Kamara is called out but who is going to speak up for the low paid workers who suffer casual racism on a daily basis in the UK?
A minority in society and therefore in every support will deny that racism even exists or that if it does we should just ignore it. The good news is that taking the knee is igniting a broader debate about racism.
Change takes time : when Walters played for Rangers in 1988 a Scottish journalist 'joked' that he could be eligible for Scotland on account of his great grandfather having eaten a missionary and Celtic fans threw bananas at him whilst making monkey noises. As a teenager in the 1970's I was part of a crowd singing "I'd rather be a P*** than a Tim."
Society has moved on since then but the fact Rangers players want to make this gesture now tells us we still have a long way to go. Why would they choose to do this if there is no racism?

Last edited:
I’ve said in this thread that I don’t know what I will do yet.

I’ve also said in this thread that my opinion isn’t worth more or less than anyone else’s.

What you are saying mate goes both ways, are people who are in favour of taking the knees opinions so sacrosanct that nobody is allowed to voice their disagreement to it?
Genuine question. What is it about taking the knee that you might disagree with?

The media still look for any crumbs to bring up George Square and its all about blackening Rangers name. The weeks after that day have seen the worst and most biased anti Rangers reporting seen in this country. The SNP have have openly joined the bandwagon to stick the boot into Rangers.
The moral of the story is our enemies will jump on any step out of line from the support and rub our noses right in it looking for maximum damage.
No matter your personal views on taking the knee for the sake of Rangers Football Club keep your loud mouth shut for 20 secs during it.

It won't pass without incident, we need to prepare ourselves for that. Our ire shouldn't be aimed at the reaction of the media or the damage it'll do to the reputation of the Club, it should be for the pain it'll cause our black players and supporters.

It's a tricky situation for the club but would it not be better if they fronted up and put out some messages on our social media outlets prior to the game?

It's a tricky situation for the club but would it not be better if they fronted up and put out some messages on our social media outlets prior to the game?
The Club have been unequivocal in their support of our players and their right to protest, the meaning behind the gesture/protest and also their views on those who disrupt it, I don't see what else they can do. Haters gonna hate, as it were.

If people can’t keep their mouth shut for 9 seconds then they are better just going into the ground after the players and staff have taken the knee.

There are at least two posters on here that I’ve seen in the past few days openly admit that they’d boo and various others defend the right to do so.

There are at least two posters on here that I’ve seen in the past few days openly admit that they’d boo and various others defend the right to do so.
I seen one, I have no knowledge of another. Are they Rangers fans or are they like some on here who have joined up to divide and conquer, whilst having a free dig at our fans.

I seen one, I have no knowledge of another. Are they Rangers fans or are they like some on here who have joined up to divide and conquer, whilst having a free dig at our fans.
I haven’t got a clue because I don’t know them. There’s actually three that I’ve seen, I forgot about another one (Barneybear I think) that appeared last night.

It’s happened at all three friendlies at Ibrox so far and that’s with a reduced crowd so it’s inevitable it’ll happen again tomorrow. It’s horrible we’re even having to worry about this when it should be a day of celebration.

Some of the rhetoric is over the top and nothing to do with this post. The UEFA stuff has to be taken in context of the one-eyed influence of FARE starting with a punishment and walking their way back from there, no other clubs face this biased scrutiny, least of all those on the other side of the city
I agree that we were probably targeted more than most, but you'll find that we were far from innocent, hence the attention.

We were warned for years not to sing certain songs. Maybe even well over a decade actually. It was 2006 when Murray introduced the "Wee Blue Book" with songs that were allowed. Yet a section of the support couldn't help themselves. And this ties in with folk asking the club "to come out and speak out against BLM" as if it would make any difference. 10+ years of being told not to do something didn't change anything.

Even now, after all of the punishment and bad press, there are still some that can't help themselves, and there's folk in this thread asking if certain songs shouldn't be sung despite it been drilled into us

FARE were also present at other high risk games involving fan groups that were prone to breaking the rules. It wasn't just us and only us. FARE regularly listed all the games they were at and the teams which received fines or sanctions.

We just had a section of the support who were too stupid to think about the damage being done to the club just so that they could sing about the pope and feenyins.

I haven’t got a clue because I don’t know them. There’s actually three that I’ve seen, I forgot about another one (Barneybear I think) that appeared last night.

It’s happened at all three friendlies at Ibrox so far and that’s with a reduced crowd so it’s inevitable it’ll happen again tomorrow. It’s horrible we’re even having to worry about this when it should be a day of celebration.
How many were doing this? Was it double figures, hundreds or thousands. I have no idea, so tell me.

The “F word” is classed as both racist and sectarian, both in Scottish Law and in terms of UEFA’s rules.

You might not like that, but it’s just the fact of the matter.

It doesn't matter who says the f word is racist, but it is not racist.

The f word does not refer to a specific race of people. It is sectarian but not racist.

People who don't understand the difference between sectarianism and racism incorrectly conflate the two.

How many were doing this? Was it double figures, hundreds or thousands. I have no idea, so tell me.
I wasn’t at either of the three friendlies however it was clearly audible each time on Rangers TV and people at the games confirmed it. Unfortunately I wasn’t lucky enough to get my ticket in the ballot for tomorrow but I’d like to hope by the Old Firm game it will no longer be an issue.

this is 2021. We are living in the UK a country that is rapidly moving towards a post christian society where the vast majority of the population are of no religion at all. We have a nation that has a long and proud history of immigration and integration. In most parts of the UK immigrants are assimilated and have provided great inputs to our nation. The west of Scotland has a bit of catching up to do granted.

At Ibrox we have had some great players in our team that aren't white protestants. The overwhelming majority of hte support couldn't care less what religion or ethnicity a player is they are judged on what they do on the park and what they bring to the club. Which is exactly the way it should be.

We have made huge progress towards removing the sectarian baggage a lot of our fans had. That is great. You have to accept that the powers in UEFA or elsewhere aren't going to pay attention to any perceived nuances on discrimination. If we sing anti catholic songs they will punish the same as any racist chants. they see the both tags as discrimination and equal. Doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks.

We have to get the message here, the world has moved on. So have we in the main as a support. Thise that cant get that in their heads need to find something else to do on a match day. I don't care what it is but sooner or later they will be removed form the stadium if they persist with offensive add ons. Be much simpler to just stop this shit altogether.

Our biggest enemy and our enemies biggest asset is often the minority of our own support.
Still no one wants to challenge the biggest problem of the lot. Social media.

That's where it's all coming from. Yes it maybe 2021, but this last few years have seen a significant rise in division. When c**nts are being paid money in Macedonia to make up bullshit and cause all this grief, what are the sm companies doing about this, who's actually paying these guys would be somewhere to start.

I'm afraid we're now entering a phase of out and out hatred that goebels would have been proud of. I'm getting to the point of hardly trusting anyone on the web now.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who says the f word is racist, but it is not racist.

The f word does not refer to a specific race of people. It is sectarian but not racist.

People who don't understand the difference between sectarianism and racism incorrectly conflate the two.

Of course it matters - legally it's racist.

That's been confirmed by the courts. It's not a question of conflating racism and sectarianism; the word has been determined to be both sectarian and to be anti-irish racism.

"Racism" in law isn't defined in the limited way some people like to think, I'm afraid. That's the case per the Equality Act so far as civil discrimination is concerned, and in the Criminal Law so far as charges or aggravations to charges are concerned. The F word falls foul of all of these provisions.

UEFA have adopted a similar approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back