Calvin Bassey

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.
He was decent, nowhere near great.

there’s a reason Barasic is rated so highly and it’s his “numbers”

that being said Bassey is young and can learn under a great left wing back.

He just needs to work on his final ball, that will come with experience and game time.

Exactly.

It isn’t a crime to offer up constructive criticism on a match thread.

He had a really good game today and I think those of us who said anything negative about him said it in the terms of offering advice on how he can get even better.

I genuinely hope this young lad is with us for years to come. He’s only going to get better with experience and more game time.

He won’t get better sitting in the stand every week

No sure what you mean by that? Hes backup for Barisic and will and has been getting plenty game time for his development stage. I'd hazard a guess that from working day in day out with this squad, Gerrard and Beale etc that he will get better pal.

I really like him as a back up. He has a lot of potential. Athletic, powerful, driving runs. I think his crossing is being harshly criticised. I know it wasn’t as good as we expect from Barisic and Tav but I think he put a couple of decent balls in.

I really like him. Yes, his crossing isn’t yet of the impeccable standard of Borna’s, but he’s very direct, very powerful and never hides.

And it clearly needs stressed for some on here but, he’s still only 21.

He’s going to develop into a cracking player.

He is still raw for sure. His crossing needs to improve a lot but will get better with more games he plays. Athletically he has all the attributes to be very good.

He's taken an absolute battering in the match thread but I thought the big man was great today.

His delivery isn't Bornas but he's much more direct, as strong as an ox. He'll get better.

My MOTM today.

Anyone getting a slagging in the match thread has probably played a blinder.

I swear that thread is where Mumsnet send the posters who've had too much internet for the day and need a lie down.

He was hardly getting a hammering in the match thread it was just people not being happy with his final ball, probably because he got that muvh of the ball today it was possibly more noticeable than usual

I thought he was solid and as others have said he needs to work on his crossing

I like the big fella , hes as strong as an ox and quick , he needs to work on his crosses and his final ball but that will come with working hard

Thought he had a decent game and big improvement from last year. I am sure they will work on his crossing of the ball but cannot fault his work rate and attacking at every chance he gets.

If he works on his crossing and can send them in like Borna, we will have an absolute diamond on our hands. Livingston tried everything they could but couldnt get past him down our left.

Thought he had a good game got forward at every opportunity and defended well when he had to do so. Played a part in the 3rd goal as well there's definitely a player in there just needs more games. His final ball was frustrating at times but that will come in time.

He was decent, nowhere near great.

there’s a reason Barasic is rated so highly and it’s his “numbers”

that being said Bassey is young and can learn under a great left wing back.
Sorry but there us far more to him than 'numbers'. He doesn't give up, does the dirty side well and what a lot of people might be missing ( not a criticism) is that he causes absolute chaos when he is in the opposition penalty box. An absolute monster who will obviously get more refined with coaching.

Really, really like him. Great alternative to Borna.

He was one of my top 5 players in the 4 friendlies.

But wasn't one of my top 5 players today.

My MOTM today.

Give him his due he gets forward at every opportunity, defenders bounce of him but, and when comparing him with Borna it is a big but, his final ball is dreadful. Found himself in numerous great positions today and not one decent cross to show for it.

My Motm as always looking to drive forward. Yes delivery was poor but he didn’t hide and kept trying.
We were laboured at times today but he was always adding pace and impetus he is young with plenty of room to improve.
He may not be a Rolls Royce like Borna but a Mustang can get you to your destination too!

You’re not gonna pick a boy up for free out an academy without him having some stuff to work on.

Bassey needs to develop his crossing, it’s inconsistent. But he shows plenty of promise in other areas. Well worth sticking with.

If he gets to work under Gerrard and his team for a couple more years, he has the potential to be an excellent player. Just needs to keep developing.

H'mmm ...not sure he is going to make it at Rangers.
To replace Barasic a tall order anyway.
But he is not greatest team player imho.
Takes way too many touches, which slows play down.
Def has to work on his deliveries as well.
tbc

The Boy has lots of potential. Great attitude and by all accounts he’s willing to learn. When you think of some of the back up players we’ve had in past , he’ll do well.

To put it into perspective, Hibs value Josh Doig at £5m
We have an immense talent on our hands and Gerrard is the man to polish his game. Like Nathan learning from Tav, Bassey and his delivery working with BB can only improve

He's a fantastic prospect.
Still got a bit to go before he's the finished article but he's certainly got the talent.
I really like him!

Looked good at times and has a lot of very positive attributes.

I know people are saying compared to Barisic his delivery is poor but even taking that out his delivery is very poor. It is an aspect to his game that we really need to work on. He is only 21 so still has a long time to develop his crossing.

Hopefully the coaching staff put Bassey on an individual training program to improve his crossing. If we can develop his crossing in the next year or 2 we could have a very good player on our hands.

My MOTM today.
Agreed. Especially his first half performance. Always wants the ball, bursts a gut, decent skill and some effort for 90 mins in the first game of the season.

Glad to see other Bears singing his praises!

Sorry but there us far more to him than 'numbers'. He doesn't give up, does the dirty side well and what a lot of people might be missing ( not a criticism) is that he causes absolute chaos when he is in the opposition penalty box. An absolute monster who will obviously get more refined with coaching.

Really, really like him. Great alternative to Borna.
He doesn’t cause chaos. Fuckin hell.

ask the gaffer how important numbers are to the team and then reply.

he’s a decent back up, he’s got bags of potential. Let’s hope he can be the best player he can for us.

No sure what you mean by that? Hes backup for Barisic and will and has been getting plenty game time for his development stage. I'd hazard a guess that from working day in day out with this squad, Gerrard and Beale etc that he will get better pal.
What I mean is, people are saying he isn’t good enough- he’s not going to improve if he doesn’t get games under his belt

Played well.

Used his strength and pace.

Yes a few crosses could have been better. Maybe some decision making..

He is a young player who like most at that age need to fine tune certain parts of their game. He has already improved in other parts and also has his own strengths. He is a final ball away from being a well rounded player. Like the big man.

We kept a clean sheet and them not having one single shot on target, lad done exactly what was asked of him.

Reactions: TQ3
A unit with pace, clearly maturing under our watch, and played his best game today, imo.
He hasn’t Borna’s deliveries, but not many have, that said he showed himself to be a decent defender and an outlet on the left to compliment that side. He played some sharp first time passes down the line that fed Kent/Aribo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back