Chris Burke talks of his regret on "lost" Ibrox years

I always thought Burke was a talented player, and that he could have went further in the game.

A little bit dissapointing to read that perhaps he did not maximise his opportunities at Rangers.

Best of fortune to him.

Last edited:
I remember talk of him being physically weak, getting pushed off the ball etc, maybe a but mentally aswell

Young boy that obviously matured as his career progressed. Always remember being excited when he got on the ball at Ibrox but final product was hit and miss

A damning indictment on his early years as a full-time pro. I can distinctly remember a game at the sheep pen when he was castigated for being in poor physical shape afterwards and not long thereafter he was down the road to Cardiff.

A talented player who has had a decent career and earned good money. I wonder if he would ever have truly made it even if his head was right.

One of the most frustrating players I've seen in a Rangers jersey.

The potential was there but never the consistency that was always his problem.

Tore it up in our CL last 16 campaign and was really in and out of the team after that for a while if I remember.

His performance in the league cup final v Dundee Utd was one of the worst I've seen it generally summed him up at times he could be brilliant or just shite there was no inbetween with him.

Always just think of that sitter in the 0-0 game at the piggery if we won we could of finished 2nd and been in the CL qualifiers the next season. All be it was PLG season but I seem to remember we done not too bad in Europe under him.

A friend of a friend knew him when he stayed in his flat in the Gorbals (I think) and used to say they were up to all sorts.

Maybe didn't help that perhaps his heart was never, truly, in it with us.

There was a spell he was top drawer

Think it was his mullet years. Defenders couldnt get near him at home and in Europe.

He had the tools
When exactly was this spell? He was promising initially, but always inconsistent.

He went on to do pretty well in the English Championship, but that doesn’t really mean all that much. I don’t think we missed out on too much.

There was a spell he was top drawer

Think it was his mullet years. Defenders couldnt get near him at home and in Europe.

He had the tools
I seem to recall that his finest hour was against Inter at Ibrox.

I can never get my head around the fact that there are still young players who don’t dedicate themselves to their profession 100%, especially those with the talent to separate themselves from everyone else. I guess that’s not a new thing whereby they think that their talent will get them by. What a waste.

Talent allied to application is what it takes and that’s why I respect ordinary players who maximise their potential by leaving no stone unturned.

Imagine having to realise that hard lesson of professionalism by leaving Ibrox to go to Cardiff City.

Shame, makes sense what he is saying. If hes not eating right and staying up till all hours then its no surprise he collapses at Pittordrie.

He was such a talented boy, what could have been .

He will not be the first to come out with that statement and will not be the last. When you are a young age your mates are all you care about and you want to live life to the full.

Being a professional footballer is a lot different to being a joiner or a plummer and you need to have a different mindset to get on and perform at the highest level physically and mentally.

Shame, makes sense what he is saying. If hes not eating right and staying up till all hours then its no surprise he collapses at Pittordrie.

He was such a talented boy, what could have been .
Prior to his physical nadir at Pitawdry, there was always stories in the press that he couldn’t shake viruses that explained away his lack of conditioning. Walter must’ve reached the end of his rope with Burke and Adam.

He then went and saw fit to sign Alan Gow. :eek:

Just goes to prove that personal profiles play a big part in player recruitment these days. In days gone by stuff like these situations were ten a penny and must’ve given clubs headaches trying to keep behaviour quiet and out of the papers.

Nowadays, thankfully, jack the lads and men about town are more of an aberration on the recruitment side.

Wasted years, not lost years. He wasted them, then when he ended up at Cardiff and realised he was just a number, he buckled down. Nothing to do with Rangers, other than not applying himself at training.
And I say that with a signed Burke match worn shirt.

My memory isn't great, but wasn't he 1 of those players who would give you 5-7 amazing performances a season and be piss poor the rest of the games.

He went on to do pretty well in the English Championship, but that doesn’t really mean all that much. I don’t think we missed out on too much.
Think it was round about 05/06 when we played Villareal he was flying. Opposition players couldnt get close to him.

Did he not suffer some kind of illness at some point?

He will not be the first to come out with that statement and will not be the last. When you are a young age your mates are all you care about and you want to live life to the full.

Being a professional footballer is a lot different to being a joiner or a plummer and you need to have a different mindset to get on and perform at the highest level physically and mentally.
I could tell you of an acquaintance or two who shunned having a laugh with their mates and went on to make it and earn a comparative fortune. And one who definitely didn’t miss out in their formative years and despite all the talent in the world, slipped out the top flight and dropped down the leagues.

Commented not so long ago about Kilmarnock being his family and that all his family follow them.

Maybe it's just me. As much as, I might have a soft spot for the team I play for, your first love always remains.

I seem to remember him putting in one of the worst cup final performances I’ve seen, was it perhaps the league cup final v scumdee Utd in 2008?

I think you're right, I seem to remember him having a bit of a mare that day, the fans getting on his back a bit and him not having the heart for the battle.

Shame, on his day he was decent but just seemed our jersey was too heavy for him.

I could tell you of an acquaintance or two who shunned having a laugh with their mates and went on to make it and earn a comparative fortune. And one who definitely didn’t miss out in their formative years and despite all the talent in the world, slipped out the top flight and dropped down the leagues.
The old cliche, you only get out what you put in. Everyday life is full of guys who could have made it but either got distracted or did not have the sense to use their head or screw the nut as my old dad used to say.

Last edited:
The old d cliche, you only get out what you out in. Everyday life is full of guys who could have made it but either got distracted or did not have the sense to use their head or screw the nut as my old dad used to say.
I know mate. It’ll never change. I’m sure the culture isn’t unique to Scotland, but we seem to excel at it. That’s why the national team is in the state that it’s in.

Was it not Easter Road he collapsed? Namouchi replaced him for his debut?
Pittodrie. 0-0 first game of 04/05 season. Happened right in front of me.

He started well during 03/04 - then disappeared until second half of 05/06. Sitter at Parkhead then knocked him back.

Always forget he played under Walter but was doing okay in the UEFA cup run - until the LC final.

When you see how he played under Clarke, I think he should have made it in a Water team.

Back