Was it worth it?

No.
Thought that what happened to us was as corrupt as can be and a reflection on society where 'paperwork' is deemed more important that actual physical life. We owed money sure but were paying it back, I'm always in hope that someone will expose the whole shitshow, even though it will make no difference as you can't change the past.
On the upside it's my belief the Gerrard (and his ilk) saw us getting horsed in the top league with our Championship side making the 'showpiece' game an utter irrelevance and had to do something about it.

Don't think you could ever say it was worth it, for the most part it was a pretty miserable experience. Good people lost their jobs and a generation of young Bears were robbed of the opportunity to see a successful Rangers team.

It's certainly made the return to the top feel even sweeter, I'd agree with that.

I’d rather not have went through those years, but there’s a very good chance we wouldn’t have ended up with this genuine European-level back room staff and iconic manager if that hadn’t have happened.

The work that Gerrard, Wilson, Beale, King, McAllister and all the rest have done is beyond comprehension for me.
This is a huge point.

Gerrard and his staff have brought a level of standards and professionalism that the club have never seen before.

he’s had a massive job under huge pressure and probably unrealistic expectation. There was so much at stake.

look at daft Ange there’s no way his rebuild is anywhere near the job Gerrard took on and he will spend double the amount and fail badly at it.

We went throught absolute hell.

We trawled our way through the lower leagues.

We lost in the Ramsden Cup final...

We played in the Petrofac Cup!

We spent sleepless nights worrying about whether our club would ever get back to the top.

AND THEN

We appointed Steven Gerrard

We established a winning mentality across all levels of the club

We won 55 and essentially destroyed Septic (lets be honest, they are done as a club)

Was it worth it?
This is genuinely stupid question to ask, many fans lost a lot of financial investment in the club, including myself, if our finances were on a level footing we would have still have by successful on the pitch An idiotic question without a doubt

This is a huge point.

Gerrard and his staff have brought a level of standards and professionalism that the club have never seen before.

he’s had a massive job under huge pressure and probably unrealistic expectation. There was so much at stake.

look at daft Ange there’s no way his rebuild is anywhere near the job Gerrard took on and he will spend double the amount and fail badly at it.
So you don't think previous managers like Symon, Wallace, Souness and Smith brought a high level of professionalism to the club. Aye, very good, we weren't a successful club from the Struth era going forward because of a lack of professionalism in the club. Give us peace ffs

If you are 21 years old now......you may well think that it was worth it as all you will have known is us associated with failure. Which is a sad state of affairs.

Not a chance in hell was any of this worth it. The Journey was a load of shite and brutal, folk losing jobs and the hurt we all went through.

The only thing that the journey created was showing who had the backbone to support the club.

You look around you outwith the club......you realise we are on our own and that is what should never be forgotten. You remember who felt it on a daily basis whilst others just stepped aside, that's including our 'support', some folk just weren't interested. As for the press.....look at them now.....they just are desperate to be part of it.

To be part of it.....was only worth it as as it weaded out the week and those that were not important. Those who don't back when your on your knees shouldn't be allowed anywhere near when your on your feet.

As sweet as last seasons win was , nothing will ever make up for the pain and humiliation we as a club, and support went through.

No it wasn’t worth it at all.
I've not read the rest of the thread but I disagree with you. I can't imagine any Bear carrying 'pain and humiliation' around like a burden forever.

To reference our most famous anthem we went through the narrowest of narrow straits and follow-followed our way through them and I am proud AF that we emerged at the other end with a 55th title won with style, hard graft and panache.

Very few teams would have survived what we went through and, by Christ, were we close to extinction.

What I take from the past decade is the backbone we showed. 'Pain and humiliation' only get you down if you can't overcome it - and we did. With some gusto!

Here endeth today's sermon!

I've not read the rest of the thread but I disagree with you. I can't imagine any Bear carrying 'pain and humiliation' around like a burden forever.

To reference our most famous anthem we went through the narrowest of narrow straits and follow-followed our way through them and I am proud AF that we emerged at the other end with a 55th title won with style, hard graft and panache.

Very few teams would have survived what we went through and, by Christ, were we close to extinction.

What I take from the past decade is the backbone we showed. 'Pain and humiliation' only get you down if you can't overcome it - and we did. With some gusto!

Here endeth today's sermon!

Never once felt ashamed or humilated to be a bear tbh, Not even 2012. My comeback at the time was that i would still rather be Blue than Green any giving day.

I would watch my team from the kerb, None of those rats could say the same.

However, I genuinely believe it required something like that to drag us into the footballing 'present' with such a modern structure. If 2012 never happens it's not outlandish to think we'd have went back to Smith at somepoint, perhaps another PLG type appointment. Really hope the board are steadfast and maintain the DoF system permanently.

Look across the city. They're still miles from doing it properly - I still think they'll go big name experienced again before they'll overhaul everything. In Scotland the stakes are (or appear to be) so high it's just impossible to completely build from scratch when you're in a position of strength like they were.

I agree with this, said it for a while as well. It’s fantastic to have a club that is becoming increasingly modern and it’s mainly due to the troubles we’ve had otherwise we would of definitely been stuck in that old cycle, but 2012 and subsequent years will never be “worth it”. All we can do is enjoy the present, I suppose.

I remember prior to it all struggling to sell out champions league games, we were comfortable and took success for granted. Don't win a league? No bother we will win one in a season or 2. I think what we went through has certainly made us more appreciative.

You can shove 'The Journey' up your arse.

It was a shite state of affairs and Ill be glad if I never need to visit grounds like Brechin and Alloa ever again.

I agree with this, said it for a while as well. It’s fantastic to have a club that is becoming increasingly modern and it’s mainly due to the troubles we’ve had otherwise we would of definitely been stuck in that old cycle, but 2012 and subsequent years will never be “worth it”. All we can do is enjoy the present, I suppose.
It wasn't worth it no.

However, I genuinely believe it required something like that to drag us into the footballing 'present' with such a modern structure. If 2012 never happens it's not outlandish to think we'd have went back to Smith at somepoint, perhaps another PLG type appointment. Really hope the board are steadfast and maintain the DoF system permanently.

Look across the city. They're still miles from doing it properly - I still think they'll go big name experienced again before they'll overhaul everything. In Scotland the stakes are (or appear to be) so high it's just impossible to completely build from scratch when you're in a position of strength like they were.

While I know what you mean - I'm not sure I agree
I believe we've had 'revolutions' at different times in our history

Souness & Advocat eras being a good example of a successful 'revolution' prior to Stevie G
- but we've had other less successful attempts

Davie Whyte springs to mind -
I still believe if he'd won a trophy in his first season & Waddell hadn't played politics from the press hacks position to begin with - DW could easily have been very successful

PLG was intended to be revolutionary - but IMO - PLG was never up to it as an individual

So I'd argue we can have the necessary visionary & ambitious appointments - in line with Struths philosophy - but certainly don't need to be almost destroyed to achieve the 'revolution' required

We went throught absolute hell.

We trawled our way through the lower leagues.

We lost in the Ramsden Cup final...

We played in the Petrofac Cup!

We spent sleepless nights worrying about whether our club would ever get back to the top.

AND THEN

We appointed Steven Gerrard

We established a winning mentality across all levels of the club

We won 55 and essentially destroyed Septic (lets be honest, they are done as a club)

Was it worth it?
Yes

Everybody loves a good comeback story

strangely I’ve never felt a bond so close with my fellow fans than the Kilmarnock game after we went into admin standing for the whole game with three little birds being sung

in trying to kill us they only brought us closer together and more appreciative of success

In the darkest hours i honestly thought we might cease to exist, that was quite scary and imo galvanised the support into an unbreakable bond.

No it was'nt and reading the word humiliation a lot in a few posts, over time this period will be looked back (for me and my fellow Gers fans anyway) and the records will show it was the rest of scottish fitba, etc that were in the wrong and that ignorance lies at their door. We Gers fans stood like "Bands of Brothers" to the point of what would have been a fairy tale ending in any other country in the world (winning 55) - but once again this time police and top politicians waded in on our finest hour with nothing short of disgraceful and vile comments.

we could all write a book on what went wrong just before and during the years before King arrived, the cancer's been removed now but I am total Gers only now, thats whats changed for me. I dont mind other Gers fans choice its their decision, but since returning l will never set foot in another clubs ground or participate in anything to do with any of them. Gers / Ibrox only for me, where I am made to feel welcome and treated like a fellow human being

No, but our downfall forced us to rebuild and make a comeback that's as striking as anything that has happened in football in decades. Simultaneously while our downfall gave our rivals an era of easy wins, it also enabled a degree of vile triumphalism that they didn't bother backing up with actions or investment in building, and as a result they've been thoroughly exposed as a disgusting, hubristic and complacent shell of a club.

I’d rather not have went through those years, but there’s a very good chance we wouldn’t have ended up with this genuine European-level back room staff and iconic manager if that hadn’t have happened.

The work that Gerrard, Wilson, Beale, King, McAllister and all the rest have done is beyond comprehension for me.
That’s nailed it.
I think if we hadn’t been demoted and down and out for so long we probably wouldn’t have considered Stevie G. He’s done an incredible job with his colleagues. However, there were some on here who thought he was a big risk being an untested manager.
We’ve gone through the fire and been refined by it. The club is well ahead of where it was 10 years ago.

No no way, it was horrendous, the media narrative has demonised us for years to come, but we've come through it and are on our way back, the scars are very deep

we’re sitting here now after a fantastic title win and in the relatively comfortable position of moaning about a narrow 2-1 defeat in a champs league qualifier , so in general terms / from where we were, it’s an incredible turnaround, great high of what the 55th title brought

however, time has maybe dulled the memories of how bad things were / felt, every minute there seemed to be another breaking story / banter years calamity on Twitter / FF / newspapers, there was a lot going on, was a mad / stressful time, I don’t miss that at all.

I would also love to see the oldco rescued from BDO administration if it’s at all possible, for sentimental reasons perhaps (I remember Dave king said their was a potential legal mechanism to do it, though perhaps that’s a huge can of worms best left as is / their never ending dispute with HMRC and what was actually liable to be paid

Back