Gary Cahill

I saw him at Hampden in the 2-2 Scotland/England game.

Physically one of the most impressive centre backs I’ve seen, just looked an absolute unit and proper carried himself as such.

That said, his complete lack of pace could mean he’s done at any proper level now.

Sure I heard Palace wanted him to stay, obviously they feel he’s still got more Premier league time in him. Maybe Brighton bring him in until they get a longer term replacement for White

I saw him at Hampden in the 2-2 Scotland/England game.

Physically one of the most impressive centre backs I’ve seen, just looked an absolute unit and proper carried himself as such.

That said, his complete lack of pace could mean he’s done at any proper level now.
He had pace as a younger player has he lost it big style ? Not seen him for years

I’d take him for a season and loan out Jack Simpson tbh!
This is one of those magical posts that will look completely insane in a couple of years.

Anyway, Cahill? Absolutely not.

His physical profile will be starting to decline, never been great with his feet, never been the fastest even if he did have decent recovery pace in the past, defence-first CB, Right sided where we are strong, right footed where we are strong, would command an immense wage, 35 years old and most important of all - Doesn't fit our defensive profile at all.

This is one of those magical posts that will look completely insane in a couple of years.

Anyway, Cahill? Absolutely not.

His physical profile will be starting to decline, never been great with his feet, never been the fastest even if he did have decent recovery pace in the past, defence-first CB, Right sided where we are strong, right footed where we are strong, would command an immense wage, 35 years old and most important of all - Doesn't fit our defensive profile at all.
I disagree mate . I would say his play does fit us he is tall and aerially commanding , he was pretty swift certainly faster than CG and FH and he is very good and pressing and commanding forwards into retreating that is he imposed himself early and presses them just like balogun often does . He is very experienced , extremely highly decorated and a leader and winner . Not a bad passer I’m pretty sure he is. He has good footwork which is why he can press in tight to forwards too .
Furthermore he has a good goal scoring record , very good in the opposition box and we get loads of corners each domestic game so a player that if he played 30 games could score five or more goals .
What I should say i haven’t followed Palace and him over the last two seasons so I have no idea how capable he now is , but , I think David Weir with this guy and I would be interested in Rangers making him the 4th CD if he is athletically intact and affordable .

note that is also based upon simpson going out on loan and for me I feel that we could also keep Niko Katic and get Cahill to help educate and work with him on his footwork and other skills . I reckon NK could be quite similar to him with some improvements .

Of course money could be another obstacle .

If we could do a deal at the right price, I’d take him in a heartbeat. Katic will likely go on loan and we need to always look to upgrade which for 1/2 seasons Cahill would be on Balogun and Simpson. He still performs at a very high level, doesn’t carry injuries and hasn’t lost much pace. 35 isn’t old for someone as fit as him

I disagree mate . I would say his play does fit us he is tall and aerially commanding , he was pretty swift certainly faster than CG and FH and he is very good and pressing and commanding forwards into retreating that is he imposed himself early and presses them just like balogun often does . He is very experienced , extremely highly decorated and a leader and winner . Not a bad passer I’m pretty sure he is. He has good footwork which is why he can press in tight to forwards too .
Furthermore he has a good goal scoring record , very good in the opposition box and we get loads of corners each domestic game so a player that if he played 30 games could score five or more goals .
What I should say i haven’t followed Palace and him over the last two seasons so I have no idea how capable he now is , but , I think David Weir with this guy and I would be interested in Rangers making him the 4th CD if he is athletically intact and affordable .

note that is also based upon simpson going out on loan and for me I feel that we could also keep Niko Katic and get Cahill to help educate and work with him on his footwork and other skills . I reckon NK could be quite similar to him with some improvements .

Of course money could be another obstacle .
I'd have to look at Cahill's stat profile in more detail from last season, but I highly doubt we'd be in for him.

Mostly because he epitomises type of defensive style we had under Walter in his second spell. Our management teams style of defensive football is empirically far better than what we had back then, so I highly doubt we'd regress for the sake of an expensive, ageing, free-agent.

That's besides the point because I just can't see him coming up here. The money in the Championship at some of the London clubs is much better, he's spent 9 years there and it's not like he has something to prove. He's won everything at club level.

I can only see him signing with Fulham/QPR in the Championship for a swansong.

Then there's the other question. Where does he fit in? Because he wouldn't come here to be a rotation option. He would demand a first team berth immediately.

Goldson is the Right-sided CB. Plays pretty much every game. Anyone going to argue he should vacate the place for Cahill?

Helander is Left-sided Centre-back, never lost a league game. Anyone going to argue he should he vacate his place?

It’s all about scouting and top level understanding which is way above me but I still say we have a gap for a 4th CD unless NK is ready which seems to remain an unknown . Yes I’m saying Simpson is not ready for our first team squad .
at his best Cahill is better than everyone we have , now I’m not saying he is still up there the likelihood is he is not . However , he could still theoretically be better than all of them . Look at the guys cv . Look at his medals .

maybe the Q would be that he is a player beyond his best and the management see further improving CG FH LB as preferred . Again I don’t know but it’s a valid point . personally I feel some CL experience could be invaluable and also I feel one of the shortfalls from last season vs SP and the one before against Leverkusen was CD . I'm just throwing about some chat and points here that occur , we shall see soon Mr M .

Back