Joe Hart - Daily Record’s elite comments

Joe Hart has massive flaws to his game. Flaws that professional coaches have said they can't sort. He had a nack of saving loads with his feet about 10 years ago when he was much younger and more agile but he isnt of the same standard he was back then... If he was another English team would have taken him. They were always going to sign another goalie, just be thankful it's not lurch and its not someone who fits into the fat aussies style of play.

Someone do the right thing and cut & paste.

What the elite say about Joe Hart as Celtic transfer target receives 'best in world' review from Steven Gerrard​

They are about to become rivals but Rangers boss Steven Gerrard was a huge admirer of Joe Hart during their England days.​

Gavin Berry
0_joe-Hart-2jpeg.jpg

Joe Hart suffered a spectacular fall from grace as he went from a Premier League champion with Manchester City and England’snumber one to a Burnley benchwarmer.

And there has been no shortage of critics happy to give the 34-year-old a kicking on his way down.

But there has also been plenty of support for Hart during his tough times and at his peak he was regarded as one of the best shot-stoppers around.

Not least from the man who will soon be his fierce rival after Rangers boss Steven Gerrard paid his old England team-mate the highest compliment.

The Hoops will be hoping he can recapture the form he showed at the Etihad as he helped City become top dogs in England.

It turned sour at the Citizens when he dropped right out of favour under Pep Guardiola after a dismal Euro 2016 campaign.

Record Sport looks at what pundits and those who know him best have said about Hart ahead of his move to Celtic.

Steven Gerrard​

0_England-v-Italy-UEFA-EURO-2012-Quarter-Final.jpg

Joe Hart and Steven Gerrard of England sing ahead of the UEFA EURO 2012 quarter final match b (Image: Alex Livesey)
Speaking on the eve of England’s Euro 2012 penalty shoot-out defeat to Italy in Kiev, the then Three Lions midfield and current Gersboss said: “I think ew have got one of the best keepers in the world in Joe and I think he will eventually go on to be the best in the world.”

Gianluigi Buffon​

It’s only six years since Italian great Gianluigi Buffon rated Hart as one of the top three shot-stoppers in the world. Speaking in 2015, the Juventus legend said: “I’ve been watching his game for a few years now, and Joe Hart is now for me one of the top three goalkeepers in the world.

“Since his return to the team after being dropped, you won’t think of a better goalkeeper in the world.

“It’s not just about the saves he makes, but the way he organises with such confidence. He is a real leader.”

Wayne Rooney​

0_Derby-County-v-Real-Betis-Pre-Season-Friendly.jpg

(Image: Getty Images)
The former Manchester United striker put city rivalry to one side when he hailed the City shot-stopper following an outstanding display against Borussia Dortmund.

After watching a string of stunning stops in the draw against the Germans, Rooney wrote on Twitter: “Have to say Joe Hart has been incredible. For me best keeper in the world.”

Urbano Cairo​

When it started to turn sour at City for Hart, he had loan spells away and one was to Italian side Torino but the Turin club’s president wasn’t too complimentary after he returned to England.

He said: “Hart made a few mistakes, especially when coming out for the ball. He is an important goalkeeper.

“We probably didn’t expect so many mistakes from an England International, but he did some good things, too.”

Roberto Mancini​

0_Italy-v-England-UEFA-Euro-2020-Final.jpg

(Image: Getty Images)
Despite helping Mancini win the league at City, they had an uneasy relationship and the Italian made some negative comments about his goalkeeper.

After he was beaten at the near post by Adam Johnson in a Boxing Day defeat to Sunderland, Mancini said: “It’s not strange because he did two or three mistakes this year and it’s not good for us.

“Joe is a good keeper but a goalkeeper can’t do a mistake like this.” Later the same month he said: “If Joe continues to make mistakes, he goes on the bench.”

Chris Sutton​

Following a mistake against Stoke City while playing on loan for West Ham, Record Sport columnist Suttonsaid Hart should have been dropped from England’s World Cup 2018 squad.

He said: “There are three better goalkeepers than him. How can (Gareth) Southgate go away and feel he can trust Joe Hart in an England jersey again?”

Leigh Griffiths​

It could be an awkward meeting at Lennoxtown after the Celticstriker’s unforgettable free kick double in the Auld Enemy clash.

And when asked for his take on the keeper during an acceptance speech at sports awards night for our sister paper the Sunday Mail, he joked: “I’ve ruined him!”

But Hart didn’t take the blame for those goals and said: “As a goalkeeper, you set your wall up, sometimes there’s nothing you can do.”

Peter Shilton​

When Hart was first linked with a move to Parkhead 12 months ago, we spoke to England legend Shilton who gave us his exclusive verdict.

He said: ““The last two or three years haven’t been great for Joe but hopefully if he goes to Celtic it will be the start of him coming back and establishing himself again.

“All goalkeepers have their own style and Joe had his but like all goalkeepers you’re judged on mistakes and in the last couple of years Joe has probably made more than in his peak.

“But hopefully if he gets a move to Celtic then that would be the boost he needs as Celtic are obviously the top side in Scotland at the moment and it might be just what he needs.”

Goalies are normally better as they get older, only need to look at the likes of Zoff, Jennings, Yashin, our very own Mcgregor are just some examples.
Hart on the other hand is getting worse year on year and has been living on his reputation for years now.
I’m delighted they are throwing a fortune at him with zero return out of sheer panic

He was a decent keeper, no point in saying otherwise, but for some unfathomable reason he became shit. If he was still good, he'd be plying his trade in the EPL and would have just come home from the Euro's. He is better than what they have, but he's the answer to nothing.

Even their supporters don't rate him. Maybe a step up from what they have...maybe. Giving him a three year contract is madness.

"He said: “There are three better goalkeepers than him. How can (Gareth) Southgate go away and feel he can trust Joe Hart in an England jersey again?”

hahahahahah

Gerrard made those comments 9 years ago and tbf if they were signing the Joe Hart of 9 years ago it would be an outstanding, potentially game changing signing, but they aren’t... so it isn’t.

Reactions: o7o
He was a decent keeper, no point in saying otherwise, but for some unfathomable reason he became shit. If he was still good, he'd be plying his trade in the EPL and would have just come home from the Euro's. He is better than what they have, but he's the answer to nothing.
Agree with this mate. What do you think the reason was? It seemed literally overnight he dropped several levels and has never recovered. Age? Confidence? Attitude? He was a good keeper in his day but his fall has been rapid.

I’ve heard this paper is running a story on a Liverpool player that’s tipped for the top, think his names Steven Gerrard

What were they singing before the game? Will Timothy and Declan be happy with that level of offensive behaviour?

He was a great goalkeeper, ‘was’ being the key word, as the article mentions, he has suffered a spectacular fall from grace, in no way shape or form can he be considered a top class keeper anymore, that said, he will do a job in Scotland for them.

Was he ever 'great' though? Or was he just decent who had a couple of great games and it was blown into something ridiculous because he is English?

Fwiw I'm not totally sure of the answer myself here. I seem to remember him having a quite unbelievable performance in a CL game. Possibly Dortmund? You then see some of the howlers and it makes you wonder if he was really any better than the likes of David James?

Even for that bundle of arsewipe, that’s pretty desperate and hilarious stuff.

There’s no doubt he’d be an upgrade on the shambles they currently have, but that’s the epitome of damning with faint praise.

He has a red card at Ibrox in him for sure,

After Alfie bags the 6th he is going to kick the lady's front bottom out of the post and scream and roar at no one in particular then argue like %^*& with the ref to seem like he cares.

Full on meltdown, book it.

Desperation. The same when the scum get a drubbing in Europe and the headlines the next day are all about an opposition player saying how good the atmosphere was.

Mostly opposition people saying he's brilliant, please play him, don't leave him out.
Hmmmm.

Agree with this mate. What do you think the reason was? It seemed literally overnight he dropped several levels and has never recovered. Age? Confidence? Attitude? He was a good keeper in his day but his fall has been rapid.
His confidence took a battering when Pep decided he needed a sweeper keeper and that he just did not think Hart was good enough (which at the time shocked everyone), seems Pep saw the future. Since that point he just downed tools as every gig he has had has slowly descended into just grim performances - less than 80 games played in the last 5 season? Add to that the filth's defence is a train wreck. So he's going to be seeing plenty of action and that is not his strong point.

Even if he is a better goalie than anyone they have at the moment, he will still be behind a shite defence and there is only so much a goalie can do in those circumstances.

Very
Joe Hart has massive flaws to his game. Flaws that professional coaches have said they can't sort. He had a nack of saving loads with his feet about 10 years ago when he was much younger and more agile but he isnt of the same standard he was back then... If he was another English team would have taken him. They were always going to sign another goalie, just be thankful it's not lurch and its not someone who fits into the fat aussies style of play.'unt
Very true about lurch mate.
Have to admit it even though i hate to say so but the big bastard is an excellent keeper with those big navvy shovel honz.
Surprised he never made the first choice England goalie.
Hart on the other hand was always a circus clown who knew how to look the part,chewing the gum and snarling/waving his arms about.
Ladders and paint pots show coming soon!
This is by far Rangers best signing!!

Hart can't move his feet. He dives but lands in the same place he was a second ago. An excellent move by that mob. Plus he gets over excited and hyper leading to basic errors. This should be comedy gold.

Was he ever 'great' though? Or was he just decent who had a couple of great games and it was blown into something ridiculous because he is English?

Fwiw I'm not totally sure of the answer myself here. I seem to remember him having a quite unbelievable performance in a CL game. Possibly Dortmund? You then see some of the howlers and it makes you wonder if he was really any better than the likes of David James?
I think there was a spell when he was a very good goal keeper, I read the article where Buffon said Hart is in the top 3 keepers in the world.

Long time ago though, his career has hit a serious downward spiral.

Leigh Griffiths​

It could be an awkward meeting at Lennoxtown after the Celticstriker’s unforgettable free kick double in the Auld Enemy clash.

I don't know Joe Hart, but I reckon him meeting Griffiths would be more awkward due to the fact that he's now going to have to share a changing room with a grown adult who was asking kids for sexual photos.

Back