Match Thread Rangers v Malmö - 20:00 Tuesday - Premier Sports

Your defence of that performance is admirable, but we deserved to lose tonight. We stopped playing around 35 minutes. First leg might have been freak goals - I'd call them defensive lapses. Last week it was Goldson and Tav. Tonight it was Balogun.

Thats not a freak result.
Not going to argue with any bear tonight, yous are right. Im just shocked, they were lapses of discipline so little that I cant believe thieve created this outcome. That mob were mince. Yet here we are.

We came out the 2nd half without belief, why?
The game was there for us, wtf happened?
So disappointed with that performance, truly messed up with it.

Worse thing is I am not even angry. We could see that performance coming a mile off. The goal in the first half game us some hope, but we then reverted to type.

Gerrard needs to be ruthless and really shake this team up.

I'd be dropping Tav for Patterson, for instance.
Gerrard isn't even close to having the balls to do that to the players. He'll be back with the same defence that badly let us down. He'll not even accept what a monumental %^*& up tonight was and will be riddled with excuses for it.

Sometimes he just needs to call it out for what it was and do the right thing.

Hugely disappointing. Momentary slackness again the downfall. But issues across the park. Hopefully early season rustiness.

Malmo were a better team that people give credit. Not worldbeaters but certainly our level.

Well that was a bit of a let down.
Started well, in at half time 1 goal and 1 man up, then fell away to %^*& in the 2nd half.

Very disappointing, now got a nightmare trip to look forward to in the Europa :/

Once again, like the away leg, where do you start with that showing. The abject poverty of the performances of so many of the players at the same time was staggering.

4 games in 1 victory should we be worried? Your damn right we should. We were destroying teams like that last season but as I’ve said in previous posts we need to start playing this effing season. Nowhere near good enough Rangers.

When the players needed the crowd most they went quite, from 35 minutes in all you could hear was the union bears..standing with yer arms folded cause we haven't scored a second yet...

Absolutely sickening. We're a fair way off champions League level and now we'll struggle to find the money to bring in the quality required.

My thoughts from the half time I think Helander should have come on, Arfield off, 3 at the back, push the full-backs up, we seem to overload the midfield and there is no space for anyone to run into, seen it far too often over recent seasons

Confirms what I suspected, we are nowhere near being a Champions League team. We've just lost twice in a week to the champions of Sweden - not a great team, not even a good team by CL standards, a decent team on their best day.

If we win the league title & get access to the group stages, and I still think we will, we'll need to seriously upgrade our starting 11 or we'll just be whipping boys in the group stages.

First 30 mins brilliant, after that, words fail me. There are several players who look a shadow of last season, Goldson and Kent to name a couple. I've seen a lot of very poor displays in my time but thats up their with them.

F uckin head cases on here.
The team gave it all.
They just aren’t at that level yet.

The level of a Swedish team work a wage bill 10x lower than ours ?

This " not CL level yet" patter is chronic, we were in the early fucking qualifiers, nowhere near the CL proper.

Malmö were the easiest draw we could get and are levels lower than teams we beat in recent seasons

Bitterly disappointing. I've seen many European disasters but that 15 minutes after half time must be the worst quarter of an hour we've ever played - and against 10 effing men !!

That team are a shell of last season. Tav, Aribo, Kent, Arfield not nearly on it enough. And our back 4 are becoming a laughing stock.

Can't blame Lundstrom or Itten this time.

Tav was a shitebag at times in the second half. We need 2 goals and he passes when in a shooting position?!?

Kent, too. Several times he was set and passed instead of shooting, then when he does shoot he isn't set and blazes it.

At least Hagi and Sakala showed urgency.

Our defence is frail against any decent quality. Continuing on from last year in Europe, where we relied on trying to outscore the opposition, only we aren't scoring frequently so far...

Manager massively at fault and certainly players still cant handle the pressure and big crowds. Starting to look like Covid and no fans helped some of the mentally weak, our captain as one.

The shit thing is I’m not even confident of beating this team from whereverthefuckastan we have in the Europa play off.

Feels like 3 years progress lost.

We had them by the balls and let go, we never turned up early in the second half and balagoun should never see a CL game again after that sh*t show he has cost us a chance at the playoffs with his poor defending, why the f*co drop Helander who may well be a wee bit slower but is like Neil McCann was saying a better defender and if he was in the team imo we don’t lose those 2 goals.
Very few get pass marks tonight just not good enough and really disappointing as it’ll just give fuel to the fire of the myth we struggle to play in front of crowds

Better team won over 2 games, but tonight's first half hour showed we had the potential to beat them. gutted we're out but Europa League is our level just now.

I think that they used the injustice in that red card to their advantage.
Agree, I reckon it will have galvanised them and they would’ve came out thinking fk it, nothing to lose let’s go for it. Whereas our players probably thought job done, expected to win now, and started to switch off defensively, don’t need to press as much etc.

What an awful performance over both legs with a shit performance at the weekend thrown in.
A mystery how we can chuck away all the progress we've made in Europe in the last 3 years so meekly.

This is nothing new losing to lesser teams in the c/l qualifiers.
We were just not ready for such a competitive game and it shows.

Hard to find a single positive tonight.
Management got it wrong and it's as much on them as the players. Leaving Helander out was a ridiculous call.

Malmo anticipated almost every move we made, we were so predictable.

No excuses, that was embarrassing.

I just want to know where our self-confidence and belief has gone. ? We looked timid and scared tonight to try and win that game. Malmo are a decent side, but we've played similar European opposition and not thrown in the towel. That was a riddy, tbh.

Really poor tonight to compound our slow start to the season. So many of our players were awful. Balogun really poor for both goals and a host of other anonymous performances. We need to turn this around and quickly.

We are playing a decent side who are a 1/3 of the way into their campaign .

could we have been better - yes
should we have beaten them - yes

Are Malmo better than all other SPL sides - Yes

Will we improve - im certain
H
We've played terribly? bit of a stretch.

Fine, black and white statistics make it look horrendous, I get that.

But those players have committed and tried there best at every interception. This is a complete freak game imo. Not an excuse, but Ive seen worse games that we've won.
It’s not a freak game though - it’s out 3rd defeat in a row.

Fail like what?

We've reached the Europa League groups stages three times, last 16 twice coming through a glut of qualifiers. You can hardly suggest our European performances have been a failure.

It has been disaster of a qualifier, though. No one is arguing that.

Three defeats in a row is beyond a crisis at Rangers. Two matches against Malmo where we've switched off and gifted four goals and the tie. Pathetic defeat in the middle to Dundee Utd ffs. This isn't acceptable and I'm past the stage of going "ah well, we tried, we played well, bla bla bla".

Last season winning the league kept Gerrard in a job as he must have been close to being pushed after that defeat to St Mirren. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I've seen nothing that suggests we'll better our record from last season.

Back