Match Thread Rangers v Malmö - 20:00 Tuesday - Premier Sports

I just want to know where our self-confidence and belief has gone. ? We looked timid and scared tonight to try and win that game. Malmo are a decent side, but we've played similar European opposition and not thrown in the towel. That was a riddy, tbh.
One word to describe us tonight.

Meek.

We didn't want it enough. We went 1-0. Still didn't want it. They went down to 10 men. Still didn't want it.

I just can't fathom it at all.

What is wrong with the players?

They should have been playing like men possessed tonight, but it was all so pedestrian.

It was almost like they didn't realise it was a CL qualifier and thought it was just a friendly, where a run out and avoiding injury was the order of the day.

A total wasted opportunity and I'm disgusted with all of them.

Im not an apologist of the team btw. Im raging at that champions league opportunity and fortune to elude is. I just don't think we deserve to lose. Freak goals.

But aye, tbh if people are raging go with it. Im raging as well, just totally knocked out with how that unravelled.
I’m not so sure they were freak goals. Very good build up centre forward play - I’d have taken them all day!

Honestly cant get my head around that second half performance. We'd done the hard bit. Got the goal early and had the game in our hands with the sending off. All we needed to do was keep possession and wear them down in the second half. Instead we invited them on to us and got caught cold twice in quick succession again.

I went from wondering when Hagi would come on to make use of the extra man advantage to head in my hands in the space of a few minutes. The tie was there to be won. We blew it. Our defensive frailties in Europe once again exposed us massively. Kent was largely anonymous in the second half, normally he thrives in space but for whatever reason he just couldn't get involved in the game at all.

All of the first half effort ruined because we couldn't get our game management right. Europa League is our level with this squad atm. Got to pick ourselves back up after this set back. Last year is gone and now the CL dream is gone. Time to show a bit of resilience now.

Naive second half, a yard slower than them, letting them win fifty fifty balls and crossing against a big defence, need to be more intelligent than that. Still in Europe but need to get our heads up, increase fitness and confidence. Goes to show how important the league is this season in order to cancel out the qualifiers so early in the season.
Agreed. It’s direct entry to the group stages next year isn’t it? The league this year is absolutely massive.

Agree, I reckon it will have galvanised them and they would’ve came out thinking fk it, nothing to lose let’s go for it. Whereas our players probably thought job done, expected to win now, and started to switch off defensively, don’t need to press as much etc.
No. They used the fact that we had two centre backs that are not fit for purpose in high level European football. 19 goals against in 12 euro ties. If we were going to sign two players in the summer it should have been higher level centre backs. By the way our best centre back was on the bench.

We had them by the balls and let go, we never turned up early in the second half and balagoun should never see a CL game again after that sh*t show he has cost us a chance at the playoffs with his poor defending, why the f*co drop Helander who may well be a wee bit slower but is like Neil McCann was saying a better defender and if he was in the team imo we don’t lose those 2 goals.
Very few get pass marks tonight just not good enough and really disappointing as it’ll just give fuel to the fire of the myth we struggle to play in front of crowds
We conceded 2 with Helander in defence, and 2 with Balogan in defence. I'm inclined to blame all of our defenders.

Im not an apologist of the team btw. Im raging at that champions league opportunity and fortune to elude is. I just don't think we deserve to lose. Freak goals.

But aye, tbh if people are raging go with it. Im raging as well, just totally knocked out with how that unravelled.
They're not freak goals. They're horrendous defensive efforts. The 2nd one especially.

I'll be interested in what SG has to say about that because he's as culpable as anyone else.

You can tell by his demeanor that something isnt right. There's two different theories floating around and they've been discussed on here but as usual the discussion gets shut down by those that know best.

Yeah man. Its just a wee blip. We won the league by 25 points so all is well. Oh, I forgot we had more possession.

Balogun is a bombscare. I've said it for months.

Kent has hidden this entire second half. Absolutely unacceptable.

Gerrard got his selection wrong again.

Scunnered.
Yep Balogun is good against the jobbers in the spl, at this level - not for me.
Suddenly Gary Cahill isn’t such a bad idea even at his age.
Most worrying thing though is the regression of Connor goldson. He’s been utterly woeful so far and needs to buck up

3 defeats in a row is not good enough for any Rangers team. There are players in that team who think they are superstars and need dropped. And not just in a league cup game v Dunfermline. We have been shocking since we clinched the league. Anybody giving the team/manager pelters tonight has every right to do so.

Rangers are far too predictable. Same formation. Same tactics. Can read us like a book. We need to come up with a new way of playing because this isn’t working anymore !!
I really wanted a forward thinking playmaker like Veerman brought in (speculate to accumulate) as he wouldn’t have been afraid to have a go at the edge of the box.

I know I might be sounding like a Monday Morning Quarterback but we could have been doing with a bit of a spark.

A really thoughtful post, thanks.

And why are you quoting me?
McCoist and McInnes have just said he was poor for the goals ..but theyre being diplomatic coz they work on TV mate . I instead am sayin Baloguns a phucking donkeys arse !!

Hate to say it but they were better organised than us and their big striker was the difference. Balogun lost him for both goals. He was dragging both him and Goldson all over the place and was causing havoc. If Gerrard sells any players over the next couple of weeks we should seriously look at enquiring about this guy. We were flat as a pancake the second half and didn't have a clue what to do with the extra man.

Went to sleep for the first 10-15 minutes of the second half in both games. Don’t think we are creating enough for the amount of posession we have had in the last few games and too many off the pace.

If they think last season means they have made it they will be in for a shock this year. Hopefully just early season rust but after a solid and professional first half a very very poor second half showing.

Will take some stick for this but I don't care. James taverneir led us to 55. He can cope with a league set of games. He cannot deal with games under pressure. League cup/Scottish cup/champions League/Europa League. He was the captain when we did 55 but he's absolutely not my rangers captain.

We came out the 2nd half without belief, why?
We had belief, we didn't had as much as Malmo had, also what they had more was hunger to fight on.

Then we got scared, crumbled mentally and reverted to Tav and Barisic crosses that today went to nobody, fingers crossed Morelos can catch it. Play the damn ball, Sakala was there, Hagi and Wright were there, hell even KENT was there !

I don't know how to respond to the lack of intelligence in this point.
Bit early to call for Gerrard’s head, ffs, two games into the season and yes we lost a tie we all thought we would win tonight, there is definitely something not right at the moment, big changes to come bet you he is as raging as we all are.

I don’t want to hear “He’s a cuunt“ etc, as far as I’m concerned they’re all Rangers players and they've played badly and let us and themselves down, but I’m no Tim and don’t want to see our fans acting like them.

That being said, I want a strong manager who is prepared to drop players who are simply not playing well, and that applies to many of our nailed-on starters; McGregor, Tav, Borna, Goldson and Kent are all playing well beneath what SG should accept. No one should be guaranteed a game regardless, think Souness would have put up with that?

Obviously we don't have the funds to pay big transfer fees so instead we have to fish in the Bosman market.

Lundstram might be a free transfer signing but it is rumoured he will cost £6m over the three years of his contract, £1.5m signing on fee and £1.5m per year salary - not exactly cheap.
Oh please... I'm in enough pain.

I
Make that 30:00 to 95:00.
We can accept from 35-45 we flagged a bit. We managed that ok. The second half wasn’t even about coming out the traps. It was be calm, extra man, move them about. But we chose a central partnership that’s not robust and we chose self destruct.

And we are unfit from pre-season, which is brutal.

They're not freak goals. They're horrendous defensive efforts. The 2nd one especially.

A goal from a throw in with hardly anyone in our box. How is that possible? We cant even keep the ball at throw ins or as I call them throw aways.

Back to the training ground for some more fun and games playing dodge ball.

Tonight proves once and for all the defence is not what we liked to believe it is. Spare me last year. This is this year.

I'd say the manager has to take stock. Welcome to your first real pressure, Mr G.

Patterson at R/B. If you still want Tav in the team play him instead of Arfield. And I don't want him in the first team to start with.

Kamara and to a certain extent, Roofe, were absolutely crucial to this particular tie. That was out of our control. It was a wee step too far.

Fc_ucked again before the season has really started.

Welcome to the party Mr G. And against ten men too.

This. For good measure he should have started Paterson at Tannadice last Saturday.

Three defeats in a row is beyond a crisis at Rangers. Two matches against Malmo where we've switched off and gifted four goals and the tie. Pathetic defeat in the middle to Dundee Utd ffs. This isn't acceptable and I'm past the stage of going "ah well, we tried, we played well, bla bla bla".

Last season winning the league kept Gerrard in a job as he must have been close to being pushed after that defeat to St Mirren. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I've seen nothing that suggests we'll better our record from last season.

There was no chance he was being sacked after a last-minute loss to St.Mirren in the cup.

It's the easiest thing to shout 'change'. Given the progress and improvement culminating in last season's success, the management don't deserve to lose their jobs at the beginning of August.

People should show a little faith. However I'm not surprised the knives are already out.

We conceded 2 with Helander in defence, and 2 with Balogan in defence. I'm inclined to blame all of our defenders.
True let’s share it our then, I never seen the first leg just this and the Dundee Utd game, I think Sakala is going to be a good player for us his snap shot towards the end is exactly what was needed just went the wrong side of the post.

Truly embarrassing performance. 3 defeats on the bounce, thank god we are playing Dunfermline on Friday. Really, really worrying.

I don’t want to hear “He’s a cuunt“ etc, as far as I’m concerned they’re all Rangers players and they've played badly and let us and themselves down, but I’m no Tim and don’t want to see our fans acting like them.

That being said, I want a strong manager who is prepared to drop players who are simply not playing well, and that applies to many of our nailed-on starters; McGregor, Tav, Borna, Goldson and Kent are all playing well beneath what SG should accept. No one should be guaranteed a game regardless, think Souness would have put up with that?
McGregor is not playing beneath himself, that’s pish. Gerrard is managing beneath what is required.

If fans want to have a pop then so be it, this week we’ve seen many average, weak and lazy cunts.

I thought we were class that first 20 mins. WTF happened to out hunger, intensity, quality and directness!?

Back