Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, based on prior viewing of Lundstram, he offers nothing extra to the team that the players already here dont possess. And add his alleged salary and thats another bone of contention.
Sakala doesnt strike me as someone that can have a direct impact domestically - however Europa maybe a different case where his pace can be utilised.
Bacuna for me wont dislodge Kent/Roofe/Hagi/Aribo - again just my opinion.
We havent improved the first 11 for me.
What specifically is that extra you want Lundstram to add, and, second, why would you want the players you mentioned dislodged?

In my opinion, based on prior viewing of Lundstram, he offers nothing extra to the team that the players already here dont possess. And add his alleged salary and thats another bone of contention.
Sakala doesnt strike me as someone that can have a direct impact domestically - however Europa maybe a different case where his pace can be utilised.
How can you even begin to try and judge Sakala and Bacuna?

Its like claiming you know Alegria will be world class based on watching him in one half of football

No but when they join us I like to give them a few games before saying they are or are not good enough
Someone made a great point a few weeks ago, remember Coulibaly played well in his first 8/10 games and people were clamouring for us to buy him outright. People need to stop writing players off based on a handful of appearances.

They haven't strengthened though, have they?

Goalkeeper aside, they've downgraded their strongest 11 from last season.
They've taken a punt. Their top 11 from last year wasn't very strong and bombed dramatically. This is their last throw of the dice. Kyogo looks decent but the rest are loans or cost £2/3m each. That's lower English championship/league 1 level. They're on their way to becoming Scotland’s Sunderland!

People already knocking Sakala, Bacuna and Lundstrum. If these guys were ready to walk into our first 11 we would have to have paid much higher fees or they would be elsewhere. Our coaching/management team have obviously seen something they can work on and improve and develop the player. This doesn't happen overnight. Look at how Ryan Jack, Alfie, Tav, Goldson performed when they first came to the club. Fans were calling them out as hopeless and wanted them punted. Good managing, tactics, fitness and coaching improves players. I'm sure, given time the new signings will prove their worth.

What specifically is that extra you want Lundstram to add, and, second, why would you want the players you mentioned dislodged?
I dont want them dislodged, but if we are signing attack minded midfieders - that has to be the aim no?
As for JL - his salary could have went to replacing Scott Arfield for example - a midfielder that breaks the lines is what we miss in the team on a regular basis.

How can you even begin to try and judge Sakala and Bacuna?

Its like claiming you know Alegria will be world class based on watching him in one half of football
No idea about Alegria to be fair, Sakala is based on what I have viewed thus far (as is all I can do to judge him) and Bacuna is based on (again limited) viewings on EFL along with (dangerous territory) the viewpoints of those fans who have watched him over a prolonged period.
Its not a final judgement obviously as players adapt differently, suit diff leagues and styles better than others etc. however it is my gut feeling that they arent improvement on the players that already possess the jersey.

I dont want them dislodged, but if we are signing attack minded midfieders - that has to be the aim no?
As for JL - his salary could have went to replacing Scott Arfield for example - a midfielder that breaks the lines is what we miss in the team on a reguular basis.
It's a squad players playing in the same team; each bringing something to contribute to the success of the club. The same squad that won the other day; the same squad hindered by suspensions and injuries etc in the early part of this season.

The first (rumours and deals) and second (squad) posts have been updated.

For those who want a quick look, Transfermarkt provides the overview as well as the squad by position options.

The goalkeeping slot is well covered, with three main goalies and Firth as back-up, whatever his role at the club is.

We`ve got 4 primary centre-halfs, with Bassey also an option.

Each fullback position has two players, with Balogun an option for RB too.

The DM role falls unto Kamara and Jack, either of which will partner Davies, possibly Lundstram.

CM is covered with lots of utility folk who can play deep or more forward.

The front three slots (assuming we keep going with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) can be filled with quite a few people, as there is some versatility now. You would hope that we stop playing people out of form - or shall we say, not at 100 %. We`ve got Wright and Sakala now, so let`s use them.

Quite a lot of those who have nearly no chance to get minutes have been shifted out, and we all have to wait and see what becomes of Barker. With Stewart, Jones and Middleton away, he is one of only 3 "real" wingers left (I don`t few Hagi as a winger), even though we hardly ever used a strict winger.

All in all, we can be happy that we have kept all of our best people, let`s hope the team clicks again and keeps getting results.

NB: Kevin Nisbet will have endeared himself to the Hibs support if he - as cwoodloyal noted - had agreed a deal with us. Maybe January then.

We are still better than our closest rivals in every position, multi-million pound signings or not. It's been a good window as strengthened squad and kept all our key players.

I think we now have at least 2 strong options for each position, something Gerrard has strive for. Good competition pushing each other on. Anyone not making the grade will be replaced on a 1 in 1 out basis

A lot of deadwood has been cleared out and despite the smsm rumours that we must sell to survive, we are clearly in a strong place.

Most of our loanees are genuinely out to get 1st team experience as opposed to being put in shop window.

The B team is going great and some real talents coming through

Another strong year from us and we make champions league and we can start to identify the types of players to move us up a level

More than happy with the club direction

Broken record and all that...

This was the most disrupted, messed up summer of transfers since the windows were introduced. Keeping a strong squad together was an achievement, even more so after losing to Malmo.

Heerenveen’s technical director has confirmed on a Dutch podcast that we never made a formal approach for Veerman.

Allowing him to leave for free considering he plays every single game and must be considered our most important player. or do you think we should let our best players leave for nothing?
The vast majority of our players will sign, play, then leave us for nothing or about what we paid for them
Allowing him to leave for free considering he plays every single game and must be considered our most important player. or do you think we should let our best players leave for nothing?
Almost every player we sign will play for us then leave for nothing or just about what we paid for them.
Goldson has played 100+ games in EL 1&2, 29 games in the Championship and 3 in EPL before he signed for us. Who will pay big bucks for him when he's 29 in December? Let him help us win the league then he can go with our thanks.

Looking at our team at the end of the transfer window, we have strength in depth all over the pitch.

GK: McGregor, McLaughlin, McCrorie
RB: Tavernier, Patterson
CB: Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Simpson
LB: Barisic, Bassey
DM: Davis, Lundstram, Kelly
CM: Kamara, Arfield, Jack, Bacuna
W/AM/10: Kent, Hagi, Aribo, Wright
FW/ST: Morelos, Roofe, Sakala, Defoe

Obviously that's not exhaustive as our players are flexible and can play in a number of positions and we're also yet to see where Ofoborh fits in and if Barker comes back in at any point.

This transfer window was defined by the Malmö result, so I didn’t expect any major incomings. I did expect to lose a couple to balance the books though. That we kept our top players is a transfer window win given our stated desire to get into the player trading game. I’m genuinely surprised that we didn’t sell 1 or 2 of Kent, Morelos, Hagi, Goldson, Barisic, Helander, Tav, Aribo etc. Surprised and delighted given our financial position.

I‘m not overly fussed about missing out on McCann. Decent enough midfield prospect, yes, but I can’t see him getting into our first team. We do need someone to replace Davis eventually but I reckon that’ll be either Kelly or we will spend money on this position next summer if we are in the CL and actually have some money to spend.

Now we move on. Our squad is big enough and talented enough to win this league, even with the inevitable injuries that will happen, given the improving B team options. These boys need a pathway to the first team so it makes sense to me to invest in their development and not block their way by bulking out the first team squad unnecessarily.
… way to sensible mate - good post ;)

Looking at our team at the end of the transfer window, we have strength in depth all over the pitch.

GK: McGregor, McLaughlin, McCrorie
RB: Tavernier, Patterson
CB: Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Simpson
LB: Barisic, Bassey
DM: Davis, Lundstram, Kelly
CM: Kamara, Arfield, Jack, Bacuna
W/AM/10: Kent, Hagi, Aribo, Wright
FW/ST: Morelos, Roofe, Sakala, Defoe

Obviously that's not exhaustive as our players are flexible and can play in a number of positions and we're also yet to see where Ofoborh fits in and if Barker comes back in at any point.
Now that the window has closed we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief as we've kept the squad in tact and for me added to it with more pace, Lundstrum aside,but I don't think he was brought in for pace,more a ball winner. That's a pretty decent squad for me and once everyone is firing on all cylinders, we'll take some stopping.

No idea about Alegria to be fair, Sakala is based on what I have viewed thus far (as is all I can do to judge him) and Bacuna is based on (again limited) viewings on EFL along with (dangerous territory) the viewpoints of those fans who have watched him over a prolonged period.
Its not a final judgement obviously as players adapt differently, suit diff leagues and styles better than others etc. however it is my gut feeling that they arent improvement on the players that already possess the jersey.
Well instead of having opinions based on how they have performed over a very limited number of games or for other teams, why not give them the benefit of the doubt for 6 months or so?

Well instead of having opinions based on how they have performed over a very limited number of games or for other teams, why not give them the benefit of the doubt for 6 months or so?
They have the benefit of doubt…
Can still express displeasure at the clubs dealings whilst supporting players

I will never understand the self-flagellation around not getting bids for players because another team sold x for x sum of money. The spine of the team that has won the league and done last 16 back to back is still there with some extra added on top.

Would much rather that than coming out of a rebuild window with a bigger bank balance than what you went in it with.

Bacuna has literally not played a single second of football for Rangers.

Didn’t expect new signings but a bit surprised we let Itten go on loan without a replacement. If it had been a sale for a decent price then fair enough, maybe we cant refuse the money for an at best 3rd choice, but on loan surely the competition is more useful than just covering wages?

Cameron Carter-Vickers, Centre Back loaned from Spurs to the Tims late last night. Says he failed to impress at Spurs and not selected for any Premiership games. A few caps for USA.

Career full of loans hawked around about 7 English Championship clubs. Started his career at a club called Catholic United from Southend On Sea! Suitable acquisition for them then hopefully in the Shane Duffy mould.

Last edited:
The vast majority of our players will sign, play, then leave us for nothing or about what we paid for them
Almost every player we sign will play for us then leave for nothing or just about what we paid for them.
Goldson has played 100+ games in EL 1&2, 29 games in the Championship and 3 in EPL before he signed for us. Who will pay big bucks for him when he's 29 in December? Let him help us win the league then he can go with our thanks.
So let him sign a pre contract in January and not try a stroke for us no thanks

Cameron Carter-Vickers, Centre Back loaned from Spurs to the Tims late last night. Says he failed to impress at Spurs and not selected for any Premiership games. A few caps for USA.

Career full of loans hawked around about 7 English Championship clubs. Started his career at a club called Catholic United from Southend On Sea! Suitable acquisition for them then hopefully in the Shane Duffy mould.
Mate… that description could be Ryan Kent pre Rangers… well most of it.

Get the league won by Christmas, into the last 16 of UEL having won the group and spend all our winnings on gear.

Or Veerman.

Depends how far in front we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back