Cristiano Ronaldo - Record Breaker

Never said Guatemala is a country, it’s a national team which Messi has played and scored against.

Guatemala (/ˌɡwɑːtəˈmɑːlə/ (About this soundlisten) GWAH-tə-MAH-lə; Spanish: [ɡwateˈmala] (About this soundlisten)), officially the Republic of Guatemala (Spanish: República de Guatemala), is a country in Central Americabordered by Mexico to the north and west, Belizeand the Caribbean to the northeast, Honduras to the east, El Salvador to the southeast and the Pacific Ocean to the south.

You are an absolute moron.

They hardly ever crop up in major tournaments so how is it a side Messi scores regularly against? Argentina have played them 3 times and Messi’s played against them once and scored a hat-trick.

You think Haiti’s in South America but I’m a moron. Yeah just let the personal insults fly because you’re raging. Hope your team get humped :))

Hong Kong and Guatemala aren’t even countries and Haiti is in the Caribbean mate. But loving the rage because someone posted up numbers that prove beyond doubt that he’s been a flat track bully on the international scene in an era where more games are played than ever and where you get to play regularly against borderline amateur sides (if you play in European qualifiers). Tremendous B-D

Fitting that he broke it playing against a guy who flopped in the SPL. And can you be a GOAT when you’re trailing in Ballon D’ors? Soon to be 2 behind.
Oh look, Spooge greeting about Ronaldo…again.

They hardly ever crop up in major tournaments so how is it a side Messi scores regularly against? He’s played against them once and scored a hat-trick.

You think Haiti’s in South America but I’m a moron. Yeah just let the personal insults fly because you’re raging.
Where did I say I thought Haiti was in South America? I suppose you also think I imagine Hong Kong is in South America as well. Personal insults, you’re insulting my intelligence with your absolute drivel and presumptions so aye, I’ll call you a moron.

Where did I say I thought Haiti was in South America? I suppose you also think I imagine Hong Kong is in South America as well. Personal insults, you’re insulting my intelligence with your absolute drivel and presumptions so aye, I’ll call you a moron.

Then why did you mention them? The point made was Ronaldo plays against the sort of dross mentioned in qualifiers regularly. If you think Messi plays against Hong Kong and Haiti regularly then that would suggest you think they compete in the same tournament.

Last edited:
Oh look, Spooge greeting about Ronaldo…again.
@Scaramanga

Jackie-McNamara-1240650.jpg

‘Isnae even a good GOAT…’

Then why did you mention them? The point made was Ronaldo plays against the sort of dross mentioned in qualifiers regularly. If you think Messi plays against Hong Kong and Haiti regularly then that would suggest you think they compete in the same tournament.

Enjoy your holiday mate.
Never said anything about him playing them regularly either. If anybody needs to take a holiday it looks like it’s you, if I didn’t know better I’d assume you were wee Lionel’s dad.

It doesn't but the fact Ronaldo has done it in 4 leagues and won Portugal a trophy(something that never happened with the greats like Figo and Eusebio) with his sheer determination to succeed and dedication to his fitness and conditioning is why I think he is. Don't disagree with your summary. How many times in football have we seen great players fail to make an impact at another club in a different country. That's never happened with Ronaldo. Messi has a chance to do it this year. TBH I used to think Messi but Ronaldo setting records, maintaining trophies etc and Messi failing to impress at World Cups for me started to sway me.

Ronaldo won Euro 2016 whilst standing on the sidelines...his teammates won it for him (btw, Portugal finished 3rd in their group and only got through due to a rule change that year). They didn't win one game.

Out of interest, what World Cups has Ronaldo impressed in? Messi won player of the tournament in the 2014 WC...not to mention Messi has won more international player of the tournament awards than the likes of Ronaldo (R9), Zidane, Pele, Maradona and CR7.

Ronaldo could win the league with Man Utd and the World Cup with Portugal, but it still wouldn't make him a better footballer than Messi.

Far too much emphasis placed on team awards when it comes to Ronaldo instead of individuality.

Ronaldo won Euro 2016 whilst standing on the sidelines...his teammates won it for him (btw, Portugal finished 3rd in their group and only got through due to a rule change that year). They didn't win one game.

Out of interest, what World Cups has Ronaldo impressed in? Messi won player of the tournament in the 2014 WC...not to mention Messi has won more international player of the tournament awards than the likes of Ronaldo (R9), Zidane, Pele, Maradona and CR7.

Ronaldo could win the league with Man Utd and the World Cup with Portugal, but it still wouldn't make him a better footballer than Messi.

Far too much emphasis placed on team awards when it comes to Ronaldo instead of individuality.
Ronaldo scored an assisted in semi final
He also scored 3 In group stage including a back heel.

Messi getting an award at the World Cup 2014? Was humiliating for him imo

Great player, fantastic pro and career, a poseur that rates himself the GOAT, whilst few at the top of the game agree. Not the best team player and not even the best Ronaldo.

There's been at least 5 better than CR7, namely Maradona, Pele, Ronaldinho, the Real Ronaldo + Messi, not in that order.

The ref certainly helped with some Fergie time at the end.
A right kick in the stones for the Irish losing like that.

Imagine being a fully grown male and not being able to just appreciate both Messi and Ronaldo.

What a sad existence.
It’s tragic.
Every single thread about either player goes the same way with posters arguing like spoilt children.
Both are astonishing and can be appreciated their own right without comparisons, which are utterly impossible to prove one way or the other.

Most goals in the history of football.

Champions League all time scorer.

Top scorer in the history of international football.

All from a guy who played the first 3/4 seasons of his career as a winger with minimal end product.

The evolution of his game is genuinely unbelievable and its down to hard work, sacrifice and a drive that no other footballer has ever had.

GOAT.

Most goals in the history of football.

Champions League all time scorer.

Top scorer in the history of international football.

All from a guy who played the first 3/4 seasons of his career as a winger with minimal end product.

The evolution of his game is genuinely unbelievable and its down to hard work, sacrifice and a drive that no other footballer has ever had.

GOAT.

I don't think I've ever seen Messi head one in. Has he? Ronaldo is a force of nature and I'm not disrespecting Messi but Ronaldo is the GOAT.

I don't think I've ever seen Messi head one in. Has he? Ronaldo is a force of nature and I'm not disrespecting Messi but Ronaldo is the GOAT.
Champions League final vs Man United.

At the same time the "he's never done it vs an English team" and "he doesn't score headers " chat was going about funnily :D

Messi is like the highlight reel of Maradona, Gazza, Cruyff, Best, Ronaldo but with the goalscoring record of Gerd Muller and Feranc Puskas to top it off.

If there was a choice of what player I'd like to see play between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, I'd pick Messi.

2 of the all time best.

It's ridiculous that they are so good and so far ahead of everyone else on the planet. Anyone else who has won European or World Player of the Year award recently outwith those 2 know deep down they only won it because people have taken their greatness for granted.

Its like LeBron James in the NBA. Far and away on a level of his own, even at 36 years old, but doesn't win MVP because, "well, that's just what he does".

Last edited:
His record speaks for itself.

What an absolute privilege to have been around at the same time as CR7 in his pomp.

The guy is literally unbelievable.

He is,

Players get better with time as well, Pele has basically turned into a mythical unicorn who scored about 15 goals a game to people who saw him, in 20/30 years time people who lived through watching Ronaldo will literally be able to speak about his actual stats and they will sound made up.

Because some aren’t as good as Ronaldo and others haven’t played in sides as strong as the teams he’s played in? Maybe they haven’t had his luck with injuries and played for as long as he has?

Remember he plays for a side that were good enough to win an international tournament without him. If you dropped Lewandowksi in that Portuguese side he’d wrack up silly numbers.
Did Ronald shag your bird mate?

I can just imagine you sitting McCoist down and explaining to him his goals record means nothing compared to Frank McAvennie because he scored too many against Raith Rocers while big Franks were mostly against Dunfermline

They’ve both scored against complete dross. Ronaldo has beaten pish in 4 different leagues instead of scoring 60 a year (and still losing titles) in Europe’s most open league for a decade

Did Ronald shag your bird mate?

I can just imagine you sitting McCoist down and explaining to him his goals record means nothing compared to Frank McAvennie because he scored too many against Raith Rocers while big Franks were mostly against Dunfermline

They’ve both scored against complete dross. Ronaldo has beaten pish in 4 different leagues instead of scoring 60 a year (and still losing titles) in Europe’s most open league for a decade
More likely his boyfriend, if you believe some in this thread.

They hardly ever crop up in major tournaments so how is it a side Messi scores regularly against? Argentina have played them 3 times and Messi’s played against them once and scored a hat-trick.

You think Haiti’s in South America but I’m a moron. Yeah just let the personal insults fly because you’re raging. Hope your team get humped :))
Let’s be honest mate you jumped in faaaaaaar too quickly thinking because you disnt think Guatemala was a country he couldn’t have played them and thrrefore his A Class goal record it tact

But it is, and he has, and now your scrambling around looking like a tit about Haiti instead. Braw

I find a lot of this thread tedious bickering and would rather not get involved but

How anyone can even still now suggest Ronaldinho is on any level a better player than Ronaldo is pretty absurd, and that's not to talk down Ronaldinho but Ronaldo has been that good he has basically reduced people who enjoyed Ronaldinho (and I include me in that) to cult following status, the careers are miles and miles apart.

Just a CL winning goal against Ronaldo's Man Utd.
Well I wasn't lying. I never saw that goal. Were there many more? There is no winner here. They're both going to be legends after they reitre. I guess I've just seen Ronaldo play a lot more than Messi over the span of both of their carreers.
I think Ronaldo gets flack because he's so much more, shall we say, arrogant than Messi.

Well I wasn't lying. I never saw that goal. Were there many more? There is no winner here. They're both going to be legends after they reitre. I guess I've just seen Ronaldo play a lot more than Messi over the span of both of their carreers.
I think Ronaldo gets flack because he's so much more, shall we say, arrogant than Messi.
They are both phenomenons who've been at the top of the pile almost from day 1 of their respective careers. But I don't think many people genuinely believe Ronaldo is a better footballer than Messi in terms of skill, technique or ability. Both players will be remembered for as long as football is a thing.

They are both phenomenons who've been at the top of the pile almost from day 1 of their respective careers. But I don't think many people genuinely believe Ronaldo is a better footballer than Messi in terms of skill, technique or ability. Both players will be remembered for as long as football is a thing.

Would depend what specific skill, technique or ability was being spoken about to be fair.

Back