Doncaster to face SPFL grilling over EBT letter to SFA

He's clearly been caught doing someone else's bidding. Just a slap on the wrist no doubt but it's a step in the right direction he is being made to explain his actions

Neil Doncaster will be asked to explain the letter that called for a review into the use of EBTs at Rangers when the SPFL board had made it clear any such review must not focus on the Ibrox club.
The SPFL chief executive is under pressure to explain the headline on a letter to SFA counterpart Stewart
Regan that called for a review into the use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs) at Rangers.

SPFL officials called for no such inquiry and now they’re set to demand clarification from Doncaster at their next board meeting on Thursday.

To add to Doncaster’s embarrassment, Hampden sources confirmed Rangers have written to express their anger and dismay at the way the issue has been handled.

Pressure is mounting on Doncaster after his letter, received by the SFA on August 18 and referenced in correspondence between Regan and Celtic chief Peter Lawwell.

The SPFL board includes Ann Budge of Hearts, Les Gray of Hamilton, Martin Ritchie of Falkirk, Morton’s Warren Hawke and Iain Dougan of Stranraer.

Doncaster, new SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan and independent non-exec director Karyn McCluskey are also on it.

The SPFL board met to discuss the aftermath of the Supreme Court verdict in July that ruled EBTs were taxable income, bringing an end to a long-running dispute between Rangers and HMRC.

Ibrox managing director Stewart Robertson is also a member of the SPFL board but was not allowed to take part in discussions and played no part in the decision taken by his colleagues.

In the end they agreed a review of processes aimed at avoiding future financial traumas among Scottish clubs as well as how such events would be handled in future would be beneficial.

Significantly, however, the SPFL board made it clear any such review must not focus on Rangers and its use of EBTs that ultimately led to its financial collapse in 2012.

Despite that, Doncaster’s letter to the SFA was headlined, “Independent review of use of tax avoidance schemes at Rangers FC and actions of Scottish football authorities”.

Surprisingly given the headline, it’s understood the narrative of the letter followed the terms of reference handed down in the original brief by SPFL board members.

Three days after receiving the letter, Lawwell also wrote to the SFA expressing his disappointment at the decision of their board to draw a line under the issue by refusing calls for further inquiries into the Ibrox financial collapse.

He wrote: “I am disappointed to note the position of the Scottish FA board in relation to our request for a review and indeed the request by the SPFL, on behalf of the 42 clubs in Scotland, for a review.”

The SPFL refused to comment last night.

But the big Japanese eye told me to do it, liewell said it was ok. Absolutely riddled by them. As another poster said everything they touch turns to s.hit

If he has went ahead with the letter against the wishes of the board then he is finished. The next question is why did he do it? I think the majority know the answer to this.

If he has went ahead with the letter against the wishes of the board then he is finished. The next question is why did he do it? I think the majority know the answer to this.

It's not exactly rocket science either , we all know who was behind it

There is a short video in that article summarising events, saying club went into admin, despite the fans best efforts, liquidation!...............................

He should be finished - he had no right to go ahead with this and it appears he's done it purely on the instruction of Celtic. Despite the fact Celtic firmly believe they run Scottish football and have to a massive extent been allowed to THEY DON'T. If Celtic want something to happen like this it needs the approval of the whole board. The fact they clearly haven't sought this it should see Doncaster sacked and Celtic reprimanded for trying.

About time Celtic's bullying is put to bed.

Is the Rhetard telling us which side the members will line up on?

"The SPFL board includes Ann Budge of Hearts, Les Gray of Hamilton, Martin Ritchie of Falkirk, Morton’s Warren Hawke and Iain Dougan of Stranraer." Good guys?

"Doncaster, new SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan and independent non-exec director Karyn McCluskey are also on it". Whanks?

Neil Doncaster will be asked to explain the letter that called for a review into the use of EBTs at Rangers when the SPFL board had made it clear any such review must not focus on the Ibrox club.
The SPFL chief executive is under pressure to explain the headline on a letter to SFA counterpart Stewart
Regan that called for a review into the use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs) at Rangers.

SPFL officials called for no such inquiry and now they’re set to demand clarification from Doncaster at their next board meeting on Thursday.

To add to Doncaster’s embarrassment, Hampden sources confirmed Rangers have written to express their anger and dismay at the way the issue has been handled.

Pressure is mounting on Doncaster after his letter, received by the SFA on August 18 and referenced in correspondence between Regan and Celtic chief Peter Lawwell.

The SPFL board includes Ann Budge of Hearts, Les Gray of Hamilton, Martin Ritchie of Falkirk, Morton’s Warren Hawke and Iain Dougan of Stranraer.

Doncaster, new SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan and independent non-exec director Karyn McCluskey are also on it.

The SPFL board met to discuss the aftermath of the Supreme Court verdict in July that ruled EBTs were taxable income, bringing an end to a long-running dispute between Rangers and HMRC.

Ibrox managing director Stewart Robertson is also a member of the SPFL board but was not allowed to take part in discussions and played no part in the decision taken by his colleagues.

In the end they agreed a review of processes aimed at avoiding future financial traumas among Scottish clubs as well as how such events would be handled in future would be beneficial.

Significantly, however, the SPFL board made it clear any such review must not focus on Rangers and its use of EBTs that ultimately led to its financial collapse in 2012.

Despite that, Doncaster’s letter to the SFA was headlined, “Independent review of use of tax avoidance schemes at Rangers FC and actions of Scottish football authorities”.

Surprisingly given the headline, it’s understood the narrative of the letter followed the terms of reference handed down in the original brief by SPFL board members.

Three days after receiving the letter, Lawwell also wrote to the SFA expressing his disappointment at the decision of their board to draw a line under the issue by refusing calls for further inquiries into the Ibrox financial collapse.

He wrote: “I am disappointed to note the position of the Scottish FA board in relation to our request for a review and indeed the request by the SPFL, on behalf of the 42 clubs in Scotland, for a review.”

The SPFL refused to comment last night.

If they want to draw a line under the matter, he shouldnt survive this.

Resign or be sacked should be the only option on the table at Thursdays SPFL board meeting with him.

His position is untenable. He did it because a big bad boy told him to, what an utterly pathetic spineless individual.
The whole title stripping nonsense is now dead and buried so expect to see the resolution 12 loonies being touted in the media in the weeks ahead as the next phase in the poets campaign is unleashed.

Can't help but feel something is going on in the background.

This is going too bad for Lawwell and Doncaster for it to be true.

Last edited:
Hopefully one of Peter's puppets on the way out but sadly I think we all know there will be another along shortly to take Doncaster's place. The bheasts have Scottish football stitched up

Hopefully the first to fall in the house of cards.

Unfortunately, I'm a massive sceptic when it comes to anything that involves the governing of Scottish football.

I am a bit confused by this whole affair... i was under the impression that the SPFLs original remit, when they released their original statement was that they were open to an investigation which would focus on their own internal processes and how the spfl handled it. Indeed, weren't they clear that there would be no impact on Rangers? there would be no support for stripping of titles or further sanctions?

I naively thought well ok... lets face it, they all could do with a shake up and we came out of that whole period damaged, we were slapped with illegal transfer bans, fined and robbed of our winnings that year, were funds withheld for players such as Steven Davies?

There was a whole load of dodgy stuff that went on, so i actually thought to myself that this would maybe even expose some of the miscreants and their devious acts.

Not quite sure how this went down the road of being an investigation into RFC and the Euro licence, it seems that shellick have twisted the whole matter to suit their own aghenda. Good though cos it looks like the Roman Empire over reached itself too far this time.

I will shed no tears mind you in Doncaster goes, i was baying for his and Regans blood in 2011-2012.

Maybe it is Lawwell's end game go get Doncaster sacked or to resign so he can get someone in who is more befitting. Time will tell.

Stewart Robertson was obviously excluded from discussion because of conflict of interest.

I have no recollection from Lawwell being excluded from any discussion over the last 5 years concerning us though.

Just like the Craig White trial where the jurors were asked if they supported Rangers however, no one thought to ask them if they supported Celtic.

Overstepped the mark which takes some doing in Scotland ! incredible arrogance from the mentally challengeds they should be charged for bringing the game into disrepute

He should be given until Thursday to resign, if not sacked at the meeting.

I also hope that the SPFL use a different recruitment firm than Nolan Partners though I won't be holding my breath on that.

Liewell's puppet.

The scum have completely misjudged this one.

Slitty Eyed Pete thought he could just bully everyone into having another go for our titles and yet more financial penalties.

In fact, all he has done is bring a sharp spotlight directly upon himself as conspirator #1 and revealed the full extent of his deviousness behind the scenes. I think the other clubs are now finally realising that the Fat Japanese has no interest in Scottish football. He is obsessed with ruining us, and if the game goes along with that, too bad in his mind.

Lastly, as you said, Doncaster has completely outed himself as Liewell's puppet. No question.

Why did he and McKenzie request a meeting with Adolf O'Rhourke?

Have they also requested a meeting with Rangers fan group?

To cut a long story short "We canny do any more - so you need to put pressure on Rhegan and the SFA............"

Back