Use of the word "hun" - MSP response

My locals include Nicola Sturgeon, Anas Sarwar, Patrick Harvie, and Paul Sweeney... I'd be tempted to email them just to see if I get any sort of response!
It’s surely an open goal for Anas Sarwar! Doubt there is much point emailing the other 3.

email to Ian Murray tonight.

“Dear Ian,

I will make this brief but as my MP can you please address the issue of sectarianism in Scotland. I am sick and tired of being referred to as an Orange ‘b’, Hun ‘b’, DOB, DOBER, member of the Klan, Nazi etc etc etc. I am a Rangers fan and I simply want to walk down the street and wear my colours without being abused.

I have no religious affiliation whatsoever but I am sick of the SNP and low grade MSPs exploiting sectarian hatred and my vote is open to those who address it”

Yours etc.
Well done sir. Totally nails it.

I'm not as eloquent as most others on here but I'm perfectly happy for anyone who can't be arsed constructing an email to just copy my text and fire it off.

Make sure you remain polite and courteous, and avoid being abusive and giving them an excuse to ignore you.

Remember they work for you.

I emailed my MSP:

Hi Siobhian

I hope you are well.

I'm writing with regards the use of the word "hun" and the religious sectarian connotations.

Like a great many people, I find this term to be deeply offensive. Nil By Mouth, the anti sectarian organisation, recognise this term as sectarian and offensive, as do PSNI.

Why is this offensive term allowed to go unchallenged on Scotland? Personally I have heard it from presenters on BBC radio, it is all over social media, it is sprayed on walls (KAH = Kill All Huns), and it is chanted at football ground - all seemingly without fear of prosecution.

I'd like you to highlight this matter in parliament and ask that this term is treated in the same manner as the equally offensive term "19th Century Terrorist". There should be a zero tolerance and its use should be seen as a religiously aggravated hate crime.

The MSP for Glasgow Cathcart is very vocal in his campaign against anti Irish racism, and I believe this term should have an equal focus.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
FF Darth Vader

And here's the response:

Dear Mr Vader

Thank you for your email raising your very valid concerns regarding the offensive use of these words.

I would be happy to raise this on your behalf when in an appropriate debate in parliament.

Kind regards
Siobhian

Siobhian Brown MSP
Ayr Constituency

And my reply:

Thank you Siobhan, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sure such a debate will be forthcoming, especially given the disgusting sectarian and otherwise offensive language used by Daily Record journalists who are now under police investigation.

I also note that Janey Godley, the face of the NHS Scotland Covid adverts, has used this sectarian and offensive word (in addition to many other vile and abhorrent references including insults to disabled people and comparing someone else a Chernobyl burns victim) frequently over the years.

I feel this should see Ms Godley removed from our TV screens immediately because someone with such a questionable character is not fit to speak on behalf of the NHS and Scottish Government.

Again, I would be extremely grateful if you could raise this matter with the relevant people. It is deeply disturbing to see such an individual speaking on behalf of the state.

Many thanks
Darth

I'd urge each and every one of you to do your bit - email your MPs, MSPs (regardless of who they are) about the Record or any other injustice you see or hear, report crimes to police Scotland, and let's get some parity and even handedness back.

We are no longer accepting being a political football.

Enough is enough.
Why cant she just raise a question in a similar way that Pauline McNeil did last week about "anti-Irish/catholic bigotry? I actually want to know why no MSP has said one word about the hate crime tweets from the Daily Record Journalists. They all couldn't wait to open their mouths when they thought they could stick the boot into Rangers fans but now, they all appear to have lost their collective voices!

Admin-please help me here

I’m sure given the coverage of fans we have on this board we could write to all our constituency MPs and MSPs-using Darths template.

To ensure coverage could you coordinate.

I’m in Fife and happy to play my part.

Why can't we lobby the Justice Minister to answer questions on Anti Proteatnat hate crime and why the " hun" term even though there's case law to back up the fact its sectarian, NBM state its sectarian but we have seen many journalists at the Daily Record use it, Janey Godley use it, Paul J Sweeney use it!

It needs to be reiterated that this is a sectarian term and police Scotland and the Justice Minister need to start earning their wages and work for ALL of us in this country and not just a section of it!

Last edited:
I've also contacted Nil By Mouth to ask for their support lobbying the Scot Gov on this issue.
They refuse to help, Id asked countless times for them to even make comments on the daily stuff and nothing. They refused to comment on Alfie being racially abused by the tramps at the last game. They refused to comment on Celtic fans seeing their team bus from their hotel before the last game singing an anti Protestant hate crime song and again.. they wouldn't comment.

For me , NBM need their charity status taken away as they have failed their mission statement

Why can't we lobby the Justice Minister to answer questions on Anti Proteatnat hate crime and why the " hun" term even though there's case law to back up the fact its sectarian, NBM state its sectarian but we have seen many journalists at the Daily Record use it, Janey Godley use it, Paul J Sweeney use it!

It needs to be reiterated that this is a sectarian term and police Scotland and the Justice Minister need to start earning their wages and work for ALL of us in this country and not just a section of it!
Done - as per my email above with some slight amendments - not only requesting this raised in parliament but also with Police Scotland.

Keith.Brown.msp@parliament.scot

It's not offensive - even though it's followed by "Bastard" and pretty much any other insult you could imagine.

I'm going to stick to my reply of 'You Enable a Convicted Paedophile Ring' to the Celtic fans.

It's true and it worrys me. How can you do that?

My local councillor is Fiona Hyslop (SNP). I went to her with an issue about 8 years ago. She clearly doesn't have a f*ckin scooby. She came across as an untrained receptionist. They're just idiots hiding behind a sign above the door. I wouldn't waste my time trying to raise an issue with her again. Fake news, as they say.

They refuse to help, Id asked countless times for them to even make comments on the daily stuff and nothing. They refused to comment on Alfie being racially abused by the tramps at the last game. They refused to comment on Celtic fans seeing their team bus from their hotel before the last game singing an anti Protestant hate crime song and again.. they wouldn't comment.

For me , NBM need their charity status taken away as they have failed their mission statement
I contacted them back in 2012.

Below was their initial response.

Thank you for your email.

Whilst Nil By Mouth are not obligated to provide a 'mandatory' response to anyone other than those bodies which provide funding to it I am happy to respond to your concerns.

If you forward your postal address I will respond to your points in full.

Yours sincerely

Dave Scott Campaign Director Nil By Mouth 51 Wilson Street Glasgow G1 1UZ

Tel:0141 559-5008

www.nilbymouth.org

Scottish Charity Number: SCO 30375

I emailed my MSP:

Hi Siobhian

I hope you are well.

I'm writing with regards the use of the word "hun" and the religious sectarian connotations.

Like a great many people, I find this term to be deeply offensive. Nil By Mouth, the anti sectarian organisation, recognise this term as sectarian and offensive, as do PSNI.

Why is this offensive term allowed to go unchallenged on Scotland? Personally I have heard it from presenters on BBC radio, it is all over social media, it is sprayed on walls (KAH = Kill All Huns), and it is chanted at football ground - all seemingly without fear of prosecution.

I'd like you to highlight this matter in parliament and ask that this term is treated in the same manner as the equally offensive term "19th Century Terrorist". There should be a zero tolerance and its use should be seen as a religiously aggravated hate crime.

The MSP for Glasgow Cathcart is very vocal in his campaign against anti Irish racism, and I believe this term should have an equal focus.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,
FF Darth Vader

And here's the response:

Dear Mr Vader

Thank you for your email raising your very valid concerns regarding the offensive use of these words.

I would be happy to raise this on your behalf when in an appropriate debate in parliament.

Kind regards
Siobhian

Siobhian Brown MSP
Ayr Constituency

And my reply:

Thank you Siobhan, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sure such a debate will be forthcoming, especially given the disgusting sectarian and otherwise offensive language used by Daily Record journalists who are now under police investigation.

I also note that Janey Godley, the face of the NHS Scotland Covid adverts, has used this sectarian and offensive word (in addition to many other vile and abhorrent references including insults to disabled people and comparing someone else a Chernobyl burns victim) frequently over the years.

I feel this should see Ms Godley removed from our TV screens immediately because someone with such a questionable character is not fit to speak on behalf of the NHS and Scottish Government.

Again, I would be extremely grateful if you could raise this matter with the relevant people. It is deeply disturbing to see such an individual speaking on behalf of the state.

Many thanks
Darth

I'd urge each and every one of you to do your bit - email your MPs, MSPs (regardless of who they are) about the Record or any other injustice you see or hear, report crimes to police Scotland, and let's get some parity and even handedness back.

We are no longer accepting being a political football.

Enough is enough.
The force is strong with this one.

The anti-sectarian legislation at Holyrood was deliberately drafted to ensure more arrests and prosecutions for alleged anti-Catholicism. It was never meant to show balance or equality. This is how they wanted it, so they created it.

FTP - sectarian hate crime
F@nian - sectarian hate crime
Anti-Irish racism - sectarian hate crime

FTQ - free speech
Hun - free speech
Anti-British racism - free speech

This is the corrupt two-tier justice system we now exist under.

My local councillor is Fiona Hyslop (SNP). I went to her with an issue about 8 years ago. She clearly doesn't have a f*ckin scooby. She came across as an untrained receptionist. They're just idiots hiding behind a sign above the door. I wouldn't waste my time trying to raise an issue with her again. Fake news, as they say.
These "untrained receptionists" make laws.

Regardless of their level of competence, let's keep the pressure on.

The anti-sectarian legislation at Holyrood was deliberately drafted to ensure more arrests and prosecutions for alleged anti-Catholicism. It was never meant to show balance or equality. This is how they wanted it, so they created it.

FTQ - free speech
Hun - free speech

Let's use our collective voice to level the playing field.

FTQ - free speech
Hun - free speech

There are blatant double standards in our justice system but nothing is done about it because politicians seem to be too scared to talk about it.

Politicians that do showing the courage to highlight the double standards get called conspiracy theorists despite a large amount of evidence to support the claim that there are blatant double standards.

It's run by Tim's is it not? Guy and his wife?

There are blatant double standards in our justice system but nothing is done about it because politicians seem to be too scared to talk about it.

Politicians that do showing the courage to highlight the double standards get called conspiracy theorists despite a large amount of evidence to support the claim that there are blatant double standards.

It isn't even a double-standard, mate. It is clear anti-Protestant discrimination enshrined within the Scottish judicial system, from the Crown Office downwards to local PF Offices. This is why the anti-sectarian legislation was constructed and drafted the way it is. It was specifically designed to " prove " endemic anti-Catholicism in Scotland, by warping and distorting arrest and conviction stats for sectarianism. If Protestants can't officially be victims of sectarian hatred under Holyrood legislation, then no anti-Protestant bigotry can ever exist in Scotland.

These "untrained receptionists" make laws.

Regardless of their level of competence, let's keep the pressure on.
I get that mate, but this dozy cow is like a rabbit caught in the headlights. She'll make a phone call while you are there and f*ck all will come of it. She's probably phoning herself. I pass her office on a daily basis and I've never seen anyone going in or out. It's just a front. The main point of her office is the sign above the door and so many people in this area vote for them. I'm genuinely baffult :oops:

I get that mate, but this dozy cow is like a rabbit caught in the headlights. She'll make a phone call while you are there and f*ck all will come of it. She's probably phoning herself. I pass her office on a daily basis and I've never seen anyone going in or out. It's just a front. The main point of her office is the sign above the door and so many people in this area vote for them. I'm genuinely baffult :oops:
You should have another few MSPs for your parliamentary region. Email them all. Keep them busy. Make them squirm. Be a (polite) pest.

I've just fired off another batch of emails to all of the South Scorland MSPs.

Outstanding sith lord!

And to Siobhan.

Hopefully the beginning of the end of the hypocrisy when it comes to sectarianism in this wee backwater of a country!

Back