Tackle on Harvey Elliot

IMO, yes it was overly physical. HE's studs didn't catch on the turf and the physical actions of the Leads player led to the injury.
Just had a look, and as much as its a horrible injury it is not a red. If the boy hadn't been injured noone would even be suggesting a red.

Guy is young enough, and with the best of doctors etc to come back. Here's hoping he does

Wonder if the players are holding back a bit after that, not many full blooded challenges since.

I said on the other thread.. You guys saying it was never a red card. I bet your opinions would be different if it was Brown on Jack or Morelos. It was a stonelwall red card leg break or not.

Just had a look, and as much as its a horrible injury it is not a red. If the boy hadn't been injured noone would even be suggesting a red.

Guy is young enough, and with the best of doctors etc to come back. Here's hoping he does
Yeah the idea that we should have a rule whereby if a player is injured after a fairly innocuous tackle, then the defending player should be be red carded, is just bollocks to me personally.

Wonder if the players are holding back a bit after that, not many full blooded challenges since.
Cooper made a pretty much identical challenge since it happened which imo shows that it’s just bad luck that it happened like that with Elliot.

Not sure how it was a red card when he didn’t blow the whistle initially for a foul but hopefully Elliott is back fit soon as he has great potential

Two go in hard for a 50/50, ball in middle of both players and one comes out with a broken ankle. Red card?
I think so . Players need to be aware of the consequences of their actions. Careers can be ruined because of heavy physical challenges. Freak accidents happen but today HE has a bad injury due to the physical nature of the challenge him by an opponent.

I always think that there is maybe a weakness in the break area before it’s happened. Some totally innocuous challenges end up with horrible breaks.
I broke my foot in March and the pain was horrendous when it happened but I felt literally no pain afterwards or during the healing process.

Totally agree, I dislocated my ankle (2009) looked quite similar to Harvey's there only my ankle was pointing in the way. No pain at all until I went to hospital to get it put back in place. Never felt pain like it!!

I'd been doing lots of road running entirely on the balls of my feet somehow thinking that was a good technique but it just weakened my ankle.

Fairly innocuous challenge at football and my foot was bent inwards. 2 nights in hospital and 6 weeks in a cast. Didn't really go to physio but took a year out to let it have a full recover and build my strength.

Hopefully Harvey's is straight forward and with the best of medical care he can get back in the new year.

Aye, let's hope he make a full recovery. My opinion is that if a player does want to be heavy physical or is prepared to go 100 mile a hour into challenges then there could be consequences.

I always think that there is maybe a weakness in the break area before it’s happened. Some totally innocuous challenges end up with horrible breaks.
I broke my foot in March and the pain was horrendous when it happened but I felt literally no pain afterwards or during the healing process.

Agreed.
Larssons was one of the worst I've seen and it was so innocuous. I've been kicked in the back of the calf before a he'll of a lot harder than that on a standing leg and it didn't result in anything like that.

I've not seen it back but if you snap someone's leg in a tackle then it should be a red card.

I know it sounds strange but if its a clean break then it's much better than ligament damage when it comes to rehab.

If it's a clean break then I wouldn't be surprised to see the lad back playing in January/February.
Not necessarily true mate. I got my leg broke when playing and I’m sure the guy had no intention other than a good strong tackle. I also broke a lads leg in a full 50/50 tackle with absolutely no malice.

I think so . Players need to be aware of the consequences of their actions. Careers can be ruined because of heavy physical challenges. Freak accidents happen but today HE has a bad injury due to the physical nature of the challenge him by an opponent.
Nonsense.
Its a physical sport.
Hope the boy makes a full recovery amd continues with his promising career. The challenge was in no way malicious or with intent.

Nonsense.
Its a physical sport.
Hope the boy makes a full recovery amd continues with his promising career. The challenge was in no way malicious or with intent.
I never said the Leads player was malicious or went with intent. But there's got to be consequences for horrific injuries that happen due to the physical nature of other players.

I said on the other thread.. You guys saying it was never a red card. I bet your opinions would be different if it was Brown on Jack or Morelos. It was a stonelwall red card leg break or not.
Nope.

I watched it live. Ref never gave a foul at the time and I think most people initially processed it as a good recovery tackle and were following the ball. The guy wins the ball with his right foot and unfortunately his left boot connected with the back of the guy’s leg in a way which caused a break (and I’m still really not sure how).

If you watch replay after replay out of context when you know what you’re looking for then you’re going to view it differently.

I’d be gutted if we lost a player to an injury like that but there doesn’t always have to be outrage and someone to blame. It’s a contact sport. You saw how the Liverpool players were decent with the Leeds player in the aftermath. If they thought he’d been out of order their demeanour would’ve been entirely different.

Was a great tackle imo. Think it says more about the can of worms opening in you can now be sent off for someone getting an injury. Go up for a heeder clash of heads, broken eye socket.... Red card?

I never said the Leads player was malicious or went with intent. But there's got to be consequences for horrific injuries that happen due to the physical nature of other players.
It’s a contact sport. Injuries happen. Sometimes they can be career wreckers and still be fundamentally down to bad luck. That’s why insurance exists.

Not necessarily true mate. I got my leg broke when playing and I’m sure the guy had no intention other than a good strong tackle. I also broke a lads leg in a full 50/50 tackle with absolutely no malice.

It's not about intent though.

If you go into a tackle with enough force to break someone's leg then IMO you're using excessive force and it's a red card.

VAR an absolute disgrace there. If they deem that a red then they’ve failed by not sending Cooper off as well, as surely he’s endangered the Liverpool player in the challenge he made 5 mins later

Where does it end though? Morelos holds off a player, using his physique and turns the defender and the defender twists his knee....Morelos fault? Thats where this goes. The lad has taken a sore one today but it wasnt intentional, in fact Im sure the Leeds player will be in bits about it.

The boy i’m afraid was just unlucky there’s no way that’s a red i didn’t see any malice in the tackle and said at the time what a great tackle guy won the ball fair and square plus Klopp was over the top with his actions

Nope.

I watched it live. Ref never gave a foul at the time and I think most people initially processed it as a good recovery tackle and were following the ball. The guy wins the ball with his right foot and unfortunately his left boot connected with the back of the guy’s leg in a way which caused a break (and I’m still really not sure how).

If you watch replay after replay out of context when you know what you’re looking for then you’re going to view it differently.

I’d be gutted if we lost a player to an injury like that but there doesn’t always have to be outrage and someone to blame. It’s a contact sport. You saw how the Liverpool players were decent with the Leeds player in the aftermath. If they thought he’d been out of order their demeanour would’ve been entirely different.
I like you point of view. But as i have said before. If that was Brown. or another mentally challenged on Morelos or Jack you are happy with it?

ps.. Did he actually win the ball? And remember winning the ball does not always mean it is not a foul, especially from behind the player. He has hit the boy and snapped his leg. How is that endangering the player?

Only reason I think it’s a red, is his trailing leg catches the player in a “scissor” style, which is a red card. Admittedly I’ve only watched it once, and at full speed so could be totally wrong!.

I like you point of view. But as i have said before. If that was Brown. or another mentally challenged on Morelos or Jack you are happy with it?

ps.. Did he actually win the ball? And remember winning the ball does not always mean it is not a foul, especially from behind the player. He has hit the boy and snapped his leg. How is that endangering the player?
He did win the ball. If you stopped it before his leg was in the air after being broke you would say it was a good tackle

If they’re making dangerous tackles with excessive force then I agree. But that tackle falls into neither category and he really didn’t deserve to go.
He has went through the boy, hit his leg and broke it. How is that not excessive or endangering a player...

He goes in with his left foot and wins the ball his left leg tucks under as his right leg follows through which I think causes the boy break his leg. It’s probably a red due to the follow through I don’t think it was malicious but the damage is done

Only reason I think it’s a red, is his trailing leg catches the player in a “scissor” style, which is a red card. Admittedly I’ve only watched it once, and at full speed so could be totally wrong!.
His scissor kick action caught the boy and broke his leg all from behind. It was a stonewall sending off... You are correct. I posted a link to it up the page.

Back