Bruno Alves v Jordan Rossiter

To people who go to games, yes.

The relationship between players and fans had become a rudderless disjointed mess with the players causing little more than frustration to the majority of fans.

It is a thing people who don't attend games will possibly not understand but going from the likes of Black and Law to then players who clearly cared and bothered about the club to the extent the likes of Halliday and Tav do is massive.

Easter Road (6-2) in particular was the first genuine actual step back on the road to fans getting Rangers back, and Halliday was excellent that day, his relationship with the fans always continued, even up to Maribor, the reaction of Halliday and Gerrard after that game is everything most fans want to see from their players and management, Halliday remained despite not being at the level required because numerous others completely failed with higher profiles while dialing in performances signed for far greater fees at far greater cost, Halliday attempted to make the most of his limitations, fans DO appreciate players who do that

Your dismissal of Halliday is incredibly disingenuous, he was a player we signed on trial while we were in the Championship who ended up playing a key role in us making the group stages of Europe, the notion he often went down without fighting is just a complete miss with events that often took place on the park.

I mean we have your assessment of him "But when the chips were down he too went down without a fight" and then we have this.

Gerrard confessed: “I love Andy Halliday.

“When I came in there was a list of players. Some had ticks, some had question marks and some had crosses.

“It was important to see them close up, eye to eye, in a few sessions, to see if they had the ability or the level.

“At the same time, you are looking at them off the pitch to see what type of characters they are. Andy has just been perfect since day one.

“It was a bit of a shock, really, from what I’d heard or read. His performances are getting stronger and stronger.

“He’s almost like a captain in the dressing room.

“In fact, he is the unofficial captain of this club. He glues everything together.

“He helps the foreign lads a lot and he’s someone who cares about the club. You need these people about.

“It would be naive of me at any stage of my life to judge someone with other people’s opinions. I like to judge people face to face.

“When you come to a club this size you have to give people a chance, especially people that are supporters of the club, people who care and will give you blood, sweat and tears. These are the people you need about the place. Andy, in his head, thought he was gone and not wanted.

“He probably felt the new manager would come in and not want him.

“From the very first training session to the final whistle in Spain on Thursday night he has given absolutely everything.

“I honestly can’t fault him off the pitch either, he’s been magnificent.”

He was still being praised by Gerrard for his impact after he had departed

First off, you’re talking to someone who had a season ticket for over 15 years so you might want to pontificate a little bit less. Secondly, why are you quoting Gerrard? Gerrard wasn’t in charge when Halliday and his team mates collapsing under the pressure and throwing in the towel.

Furthermore, I don’t care where Halliday was or who he was when we signed him. He wasn’t ever going to be good enough to get us where we ultimately wanted to be. His team mates who took considerably more flak were also rocking up from mediocre championship sides, it means little in the context of the discussion. He might had have had leadership qualities in the dressing room, but having two working eyes I can say he was no better than the rest when we were being humiliated.

First off, you’re talking to someone who had a season ticket for over 15 years so you might want to pontificate a little bit less. Secondly, why are you quoting Gerrard? Gerrard wasn’t in charge when Halliday and his team mates collapsing under the pressure and throwing in the towel.

Furthermore, I don’t care where Halliday was or who he was when we signed him. He wasn’t ever going to be good enough to get us where we ultimately wanted to be. His team mates who took considerably more flak were also rocking up from mediocre championship sides, it means little in the context of the discussion. He might had have had leadership qualities in the dressing room, but having two working eyes I can say he was no better than the rest when we were being humiliated.

So if you have had a season ticket the last 15 years you would surely have seen for yourself how damaged the relationship was between fan and team and how much players like Halliday did to repair that then, if you were attending games.

Gerrard has been in charge during Hallidays time with us and worked closely with the player and the personality, if he had noticed the following "But when the chips were down he too went down without a fight" surely he wouldn't have spoken about him in such glowing terms, if such a statement actually had any form of truth to it.

Halliday was rarely one who did throw in the towel, he was a squad member who had stepped up to actually be in the first 11, many of the others who had thrown the towel in reached a stage they didn't even muster the effort to manage that.

Where Halliday came from clearly is relevant, your dismissal of the arrival of the circumstances is slightly odd to be honest. He was a player signed on trial for buttons. In season 2017/18 he was displacing high profile additions signed on excessive wages for large transfer fees by the time he was apparently not playing without fight, many many more players were the root cause of our issues before Halliday was, THEY had failed to deliver on their promise leaving a player like Halliday to try and carry that weight, we had chucked a fortune at players to try and move on from him, they had failed and Halliday had to swallow the shit for that.

He was never signed as someone who was supposed to be "good enough to get us where we were meant to be" that is a false opposition, a red herring, he was a player signed on a free to get us out the Championship on the back of a trial, it was an addition to thicken out the squad for that level, his performances very nearly managed to get us a Cup in the process, he was let down in doing that by others.

He had already admirably performed the role asked of him and was a sticking plaster to mask the failings of poor scouting, player identification and player recruitment by the time Murty was taking him off against Celtic. He then AGAIN performer an admirable role even after that.

Last edited:
So if you have had a season ticket the last 15 years you would surely have seen for yourself how damaged the relationship was between fan and team and how much players like Halliday did to repair that then, if you were attending games.

Gerrard has been in charge during Hallidays time with us and worked closely with the player and the personality, if he had noticed the following "But when the chips were down he too went down without a fight" surely he wouldn't have spoken about him in such glowing terms, if such a statement actually had any form of truth to it.

Halliday was rarely one who did throw in the towel, he was a squad member who had stepped up to actually be in the first 11, many of the others who had thrown the towel in reached a stage they didn't even muster the effort to manage that.

Where Halliday came from clearly is relevant, your dismissal of the arrival of the circumstances is slightly odd to be honest. He was a player signed on trial for buttons. In season 2017/18 he was displacing high profile additions signed on excessive wages for large transfer fees by the time he was apparently not playing without fight, many many more players were the root cause of our issues before Halliday was, THEY had failed to deliver on their promise leaving a player like Halliday to try and carry that weight, we had chucked a fortune at players to try and move on from him, they had failed and Halliday had to swallow the shit for that.

He was never signed as someone who was supposed to be "good enough to get us where we were meant to be" that is a false opposition, a red herring, he was a player signed on a free to get us out the Championship, his performances very nearly managed to get us a Cup in the process, he was let down in doing that by others.

He had already admirably performed the role asked of him and was a sticking plaster to mask the failings of poor scouting, player identification and player recruitment by the time Murty was taking him off against Celtic

Mate I don’t know why you need to many paragraphs to say so little. I’ll say it for you again, Gerrard was not in charge for the period of time people are discussing here, and regardless of how he performed or behaved under Gerrard, it doesn’t change the fact that he went down without a fight like most of his team mates when we were in the weeds under Murty.

By continuing to try and talk round this (and at great length) to exonerate Halliday you’re actually proving my point with regards to how he is given leeway by a section of fans, on account of being a boyhood fan.

Mate I don’t know why you need to many paragraphs to say so little. I’ll say it for you again, Gerrard was not in charge for the period of time people are discussing here, and regardless of how he performed or behaved under Gerrard, it doesn’t change the fact that he went down without a fight like most of his team mates when we were in the weeds under Murty.

By continuing to try and talk round this (and at great length) to exonerate Halliday you’re actually proving my point with regards to how he is given leeway by a section of fans, on account of being a boyhood fan.

The comment you have made is little to do with who was or wasn't in charge, your comment about Halliday was "But when the chips were down he too went down without a fight" he didn't, he didn't do that, and based on Gerrards comment it clearly isn't something he, a competent manager, spotted in his personality either.

I am not denying your point I literally questioned it in earlier in the thread, of course fans give more leeway to players who are boyhood fans, you were there, you lived it you are an ST holder you saw him in with the UB yes? You have a season ticket and have for 15 years so understand fans do build relationships with players. The notion that doesn't create a feeling of seeing one of our own doing well is frankly removed the general ethos of what following a football club means to a lot of people, of course people want to see players who were boyhood fans of a club do well and give them leeway, that is such a glaringly obvious observation.

The comment you have made is little to do with who was or wasn't in charge, your comment about Halliday was "But when the chips were down he too went down without a fight" he didn't, he didn't do that, and based on Gerrards comment it clearly isn't something he, a competent manager, spotted in his personality either.

I am not denying your point I literally questioned it in earlier in the thread, of course fans give more leeway to players who are boyhood fans, you were there, you lived it you are an ST holder you saw him in with the UB yes? You have a season ticket and have for 15 years so understand fans do build relationships with players. The notion that doesn't create a feeling of seeing one of our own doing well is frankly removed the general ethos of what following a football club means to a lot of people, of course people want to see players who were boyhood fans of a club do well and give them leeway, that is such a glaringly obvious observation.

I know what my comment was about, you’ve moved to the goalposts to suit your own separate argument. The discussion was about what happened under Murty, so forget Gerrard already. I mean surely you have enough common sense to realise they because he conducted himself well and knuckled down under Gerrard doesn’t mean he did the same previously?

I know what my comment was about, you’ve moved to the goalposts to suit your own separate argument. The discussion was about what happened under Murty, so forget Gerrard already.

When did this happen under Murty? When did he go down without a fight while Murty was managing us.

When did this happen under Murty? When did he go down without a fight while Murty was managing us.

When we were getting scudded in OF games in humiliating fashion. Back in the days before Gerrard, given your memory doesn’t stretch back beyond Gerrard you clearly don’t remember any of this.

When we were getting scudded in OF games in humiliating fashion. Back in the days before Gerrard, given your memory doesn’t stretch back beyond Gerrard you clearly don’t remember any of this.

I do, Halliday barely played under Murty, can you go into any actual specifics of Halliday and his going down without a fight?

I do, Halliday barely played under Murty, can you go into any actual specifics of Halliday and his going down without a fight?

He played under Murty though. Half hearted attempts for the ball, shirking responsibility , losing runners, nearly an entire team who couldn’t wait to get rid of the ball once they had it. Do you really need it explained to you why that team and those performances gutless and lacking any fight? I mean even the manager showed all the hallmarks of a coward.

But let’s talk about relationships between the players and fans instead which is clearly relevant here given the way most of the team were crucified B-D

He played under Murty though. Half hearted attempts for the ball, shirking responsibility , losing runners, nearly an entire team who couldn’t wait to get rid of the ball once they had it. Do you really need it explained to you why that team and those performances gutless and lacking any fight? I mean even the manager showed all the hallmarks of a coward.!

Go on, keep going, you clearly remember these incidents well, got any specific examples? I am not speaking about the team, you wanted to speak about specifics can you show specific examples of this happening with Halliday to evidence a lack of fight from him, lack of quality and lack of fight are quite removed.

Even in the 5-0 game when Halliday was pulled to bits at left back, in thanks to Murty and his tactics, it never ever appeared fight or battle was the issue with Halliday.

You go to games so clearly know fan and player relationship does matter, you didn't enjoy the atmosphere the last home game?

Go on, keep going, you clearly remember these incidents well, got any specific examples? I am not speaking about the team, you wanted to speak about specifics can you show specific examples of this happening with Halliday to evidence a lack of fight from him, lack of quality and lack of fight are quite removed.

Even in the 5-0 game when Halliday was pulled to bits at left back, in thanks to Murty and his tactics, it never ever appeared fight or battle was the issue with Halliday.

You go to games so clearly know fan and player relationship does matter, you didn't enjoy the atmosphere the last home game?
Mate come on, the only player with possible pass marks was Alnwick. The outfield players at the 5-0 game entered the pitch beaten

Mate come on, the only player with possible pass marks was Alnwick. The outfield players at the 5-0 game entered the pitch beaten

I am not disputing the fact he was good in the game or not, it would be silly to do that clearly, I would question that he was a player who went down without a fight, his general aggression in a game was never a huge issue, even in that game when he was given a thankless task he did at least work to make the most of a shit situation.

In a list of players who played without a form of fight in their Rangers career I would be well down the list before getting to Halliday, or ever saw that as being any form of issue with him, seems a really bizarre and uneducated critique of him to me.

Sick of hearing Halliday badmouthing players and managers of that era, as though he was Barry Ferguson.

He was a massive part of the fact we were a fùcking shambles on the park.

Actually slagging off Bruno Alves… insane.

Fùck all his daft pals on that podcast as well.
Not sure where in that clip he slagged off Alves. Said his skill was insane and it just didn;t happen at us. It didn'r. Bar one free kick he was hopeless.

As for the slagging team mates goes, i;m sure Rossiter would have a laugh about the clip now he is injury free and captain of Fleetwood. Telling a story about training incidents does not make you a bad guy.

He played under Murty though. Half hearted attempts for the ball, shirking responsibility , losing runners, nearly an entire team who couldn’t wait to get rid of the ball once they had it. Do you really need it explained to you why that team and those performances gutless and lacking any fight? I mean even the manager showed all the hallmarks of a coward.

But let’s talk about relationships between the players and fans instead which is clearly relevant here given the way most of the team were crucified B-D
There were a lot worse than Halliday in the scuddings we received of celic back in the day. Murty made him a scapegoat in one game by subbing him before half time when he could have subbed off any of the players.

There were a lot worse than Halliday in the scuddings we received of celic back in the day. Murty made him a scapegoat in one game by subbing him before half time when he could have subbed off any of the players.

There was, but that’s not saying much and it doesn’t really change the fact that he more or less folded like the majority of them.

The whole team chucked it in the 5-1 game at Ibrox apart from Miller. Every single one of them bar him.

Funny you say that I was racking my brians trying to think of players who actually showed a bit of spirit and fight and Miller really was the only one I could remember trying to stand up and take responsibility to make things happen. So I’d agree with that, doesn’t matter what upbringing any player in that squad had, bar Miller they were all rather pathetic. I felt that was the case during most of the doomed Caixhina and Murty reigns.

I walked out that game in the first half. I couldn't watch anymore of it. Pretty sure it was the week after standing in Hampden watching us capitulate to them. They were dark dark days.
Tell you what a few minutes remembering those days is enough to make me take stock and really appreciate where we are now. It was utterly grim what we had to suffer through.

I walked out that game in the first half. I couldn't watch anymore of it. Pretty sure it was the week after standing in Hampden watching us capitulate to them. They were dark dark days.

Wilson shitting the 50/50 with Lustig for their 5th.

This thread is a riot, would love to hear what some of you sound like. Halliday sounds like anyone you'd meet in and around Glasgow. Our teams from Glasgow. Don't agree with his spilling of the proverbial beans however, but I'll hold off on the personal abuse, especially towards a ex Rangers player who is a Rangers fan.

I left early as well. That week was worse than any point in the lower leagues in my opinion. At least there was a strange novelty to it. That week however had me believing we were 10+ years off of them.

Back