Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon in Rangers rethink as security concerns force BT Sport change with former Celtic duo off punditry

Sutton has piped up

I’m not allowed to work on the Celtic game tonight from a studio at Ibrox along with Neil Lennon as Stewart Robertson the Rangers CEO says we are a security risk. Good to see Rangers ground breaking diversity and inclusion campaign ‘Everyone Anyone’ is working well…
I’d say it’s working perfectly well, 2 bigots removed before they could cause trouble. That’s how to deal with them Rangers.

Could see the point if BT wanted to have one from our side and one from theirs for the evening, but two tims is just taking the piss
Thats exactly what they've done in previous seasons. The likes of Mjallby and Petrov have been in the wee Studio Box that sits at the Copland End of the Main Stand and I'd bet nobody has even said boo to them.

I suspect a bit of mischief making from the Rhebel on this. Sutton would be doing co-comms on their game and Lennon would probably get a few handshakes after his wonderful job last season.

Another poor decision from the club's board. If you want to say 'no Celtic people in our stadium' then fine, go with that.
To suggest 'security reasons' makes it look like our fans can't be trusted and Sutton and Lennon wouldn't be able to enter or leave the stadium safely.
People complain about negative PR but when our board and communications director continually %^*& it up are we really surprised?

That's to prevent Lennon getting drunk on our hospitality and being called a ginger cvnt.
Also prevents Sutton denigrating all things Rangers during the Celt*c game...Good decision.

An celtic ex player who hates us and an ex Celtic manager who hates us covering Rangers at Ibrox vs lyon.

Bizarre from bt.
They wouldn’t have been covering us. The pre match and HT FT stuff from the Celtic game would have came from the studio at Ibrox.

When they finish the pundits for our game replace them.

We have had McCoist at the piggery for games when we are away early.

‘Security risk’ is a terrible way to word it, that doesn’t do anyone any favours.

If they’re sitting in a room in Ibrox covering the tims because that’s where all the BT equipment will be, and then being replaced by McCoist and Weir before the Rangers game, I’m not sure I see a big issue with that.

If they’re banned for continually talking shite about the club, then that’s fine - but say that, don’t say ‘security risk’.

Nothing to do with “security concerns”. Based upon both “pundits” previous public remarks about Rangers. Good to see the club standing up for itself etc
Well they might want to come out and say that then given Suttons tweet that he has put out.

Last edited:
The question should be who in their right mind at BT felt it wise to have Sutton and Lennon inside Ibrox covering a Celtic game?

Even Celtic fans don’t want to hear Lennon.

We’d have given him a standing ovation likely anyway.

Another poor decision from the club's board. If you want to say 'no Celtic people in our stadium' then fine, go with that.
To suggest 'security reasons' makes it look like our fans can't be trusted and Sutton and Lennon wouldn't be able to enter or leave the stadium safely.
People complain about negative PR but when our board and communications director continually %^*& it up are we really surprised?
They didn’t do that.

I'm sure guys like Mjallby, Maloney and Petrov would be and have been welcome recently. Sutton is a professional troll and Lennon is one of the most toxic personalities ever in Scottish football. Like someone said it'd be like putting Boyd and Novo in Parkhead when there's no real need for it. Rangers can let anyone they want in unless contacts agreed dictate otherwise I'm sure.

I'm sure guys like Mjallby, Maloney and Petrov would be and have been welcome recently. Sutton is a professional troll and Lennon is one of the most toxic personalities ever in Scottish football. Like someone said it'd be like putting Boyd and Novo in Parkhead when there's no real need for it. Rangers can let anyone they want in unless contacts agreed dictate otherwise I'm sure.
Petrov is a pretty good pundit any time ive seen him cover our European games.

What a stupid move from BT Sports in the first place and just a stupid, pointless, petty wide up at best. Why would they actually want to go out their way to cause problems. That does BT absolutely no favours what so ever, absolutely nothing.

Why even consider two bitter, rabid, horrific Celtic fans to cover a Rangers game. The person responsible for even inviting them should have their arse handed to them.

Rangers have told BT Sport pundits Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon they won’t be allowed access to Ibrox on Thursday evening to cover the Old Firm’s Europa League clashes.

Record Sport understands Gers chiefs have informed BT of the decision this afternoon to refuse entry due to security concerns.

The former Celtic manager and striker have now been taken off punditry duty having been expected to make Ibrox the base for media duties for the Hoops' clash against Real Betis in Spain and then Rangers ' encounter against Lyon in Glasgow.

But the broadcasters were told it would not be possible to accommodate the duo and it is understood BT Sport have been forced to make alternate plans and host both games from their studios in London with a new punditry team.

Both matches are live on BT Sport 3, with Real Betis vs Celtic first up with a 17.45 kick-off.

That's followed immediately by Rangers hosting Lyon, which kicks off at 8pm, and the programmes will run together.

However, the whole thing will not be broadcast from Ibrox as planned following the decision made on Sutton and Lennon.
Only sensible thing to do as both are Haters of our club a blind fool would be better pundits.

What a stupid move from BT Sports in the first place and just a stupid, pointless, petty wide up at best. Why would they actually want to go out their way to cause problems. That does BT absolutely no favours what so ever, absolutely nothing.

Why even consider two bitter, rabid, horrific Celtic fans to cover a Rangers game. The person responsible for even inviting them should have their arse handed to them.
Again, they would have covered the Celtic game and gone. Like Sutton has done in the past and be replaced by the pundits for our game.

Change the thread title FFS. Folk are coming in and commenting without reading the thread. MD has stated it's nothing to do with security concerns
He has but the club haven't said that officially and told them they're a security risk. Sutton has a tweet out attacking the club about the Everyone Anyone campaign because they can't get in.

They weren’t covering Rangers, don’t understand why people aren’t grasping that.
Regardless of that why should they be given access to Ibrox? Set them up at their own midden. BT as usual trying to dodge having to pay an extra few quid. I don’t want any of those tossers anywhere near our stadium.

Good. Petrov is the only ex-celtc player who has done any punditry not dripping with hate recently. These two maggots shouldn't be near Ibrox.

An celtic ex player who hates us and an ex Celtic manager who hates us covering Rangers at Ibrox vs lyon.

Bizarre from bt.
They weren't covering us though.

Some amount of people on here clearly have trouble reading whole thread as it clearly states Weir and Super Ally are pundits for our game.

BT aren't trying to catch us out, they have had different pundits for both games for years FFS.

‘Security risk’ is a terrible way to word it, that doesn’t do anyone any favours.

If they’re sitting in a room in Ibrox covering the tims because that’s where all the BT equipment will be, and then being replaced by McCoist and Weir before the Rangers game, I’m not sure I see a big issue with that.

If they’re banned for continually talking shite about the club, then that’s fine - but say that, don’t say ‘security risk’.
They didn't. BT were told not to bring Sutton to Ibrox again in March 2020. Only time he was back was for the Premier coverage of the Celtic cup tie. Lennon is the most divisive figure in Scottish society over the last 20 years and his behaviour on a number of accounts has been reprehensible and the club would not want such a person on the premises.

Last edited:

McCoist and Davie Weir are the pundits for our game. Sutton and Lennon were only for the tim match. Hope this doesn't backfire. Personally I'd have liked the chance to thank NL for his efforts last season.

Keep the separate entity club and all associated with them well away, not welcome and their antagonist attitude is visible for all to see.
Can't be trusted, neutral studio so they can give their impartial opinions ?
Like the fans of that mob, they should be kept away. Car parks and roundabouts are there level.

Back