Ryan Kent - why wasnt he subbed earlier (or started from the bench)?

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
Clearly he wasn’t fit. Until he was subbed in the second half he was walking with a massive limp. I lost count of the time he went chasing for the ball and stopped half way there. That’s just not him.

Clearly he wasn’t fit. Until he was subbed in the second half he was walking with a massive limp. I lost count of the time he went chasing for the ball and stopped half way there. That’s just not him.
Just rest him for a few weeks instead of endangering him.

Was reported he played old firm with a hamstring injury. No point having a squad sometimes.

The boy hasn’t looked right from the start of the season . Also is it just me or is he playing much deeper and more centrally ? It just is not working he’s at his best flying down the wings and bursting into the penalty box. Whatever Gerrard and his team have changed with Kent , I hope he changes it back

Could’ve happened at HT & wouldn’t have batted an eyelid.

Passenger. Wasn’t willing to run at an 18 year old RB who hasn’t even played 10 first team games. (I do concede he looks a right good player.)

Also if it’s injury related, that’s on Gerrard. We don’t need him in these games if he’s not 100%.

Should have been hooked at half time as he was absolutely dreadful yet again tonight.

Totally off it and unless he gets out this slump, there won't be many teams queueing up to pay us even the 7 million that we paid for him.

Gerrard would have kept him on whole game if wasn't for that injury, total blind spot he has for Kent.

Ryan Kent hasn't hit any form this season.
However, Gerrard won't drop him.
When he is on his game Ryan is a match-winner, but this season he has been a bit-part player.
He made mistakes that were partly responsible for the loss of both goals, although the defending was poor.
That said, I hope his hamstring isn't serious.

Starting him I could see to an extent but Gerrard is shocking when it comes to in game management most of the time. It's a huge negative in his style.

If he is injured I only hope the boy takes some time out to rest and reset. Seems to be lacking something right now.

Could’ve happened at HT & wouldn’t have batted an eyelid.

Passenger. Wasn’t willing to run at an 18 year old RB who hasn’t even played 10 first team games. (I do concede he looks a right good player.)

I don't think it was willingness, I don't think he was able to. He looks a mile off it, which given he was reportedly carrying an injury only 2 weeks ago and went off with what looked a similar issue, then one can only assume he was nowhere near fit.

Which begs the question, why was he playing?

Should have been hooked at half time as he was absolutely dreadful yet again tonight.

Totally off it and unless he gets out this slump, there won't be many teams queueing up to pay us even the 7 million that we paid for him.

Gerrard would have kept him on whole game if wasn't for that injury, total blind spot he has for Kent.
He was our only threat first half

dreadful is very harsh

He hasn't looked fit all season. Hopefully it's just a strain and he gets the time to rest. We need a fully fit Kent firing on all cylinders.

I don't think it was willingness, I don't think he was able to. He looks a mile off it, which given he was reportedly carrying an injury only 2 weeks ago and went off with what looked a similar issue, then one can only assume he was nowhere near fit.

Which begs the question, why was he playing?
Again this so called “deep” squad we’ve built yet plays players who are half fit in games that aren’t must win.

Quite baffling really.

I’m not sure that’s the case. We lack genuine quality - Kent has those moments, though. He always has to be in your thoughts on occasions like tonight.
Used to be the one player who i thought made the difference now i honestly dont see what he brings

I’m not sure that’s the case. We lack genuine quality - Kent has those moments, though. He always has to be in your thoughts on occasions like tonight.

Not if he is carrying an injury that impedes his ability to move at anything close to 80% of his peak.

Now, he is possibly, having played a big part in concession of 2 goals, and doing very little in an attacking sense, going to be missing for a month or so!

1 good game in 7-8 games is not a good season pal.

That wasn't the case last season at all, bar a spell in the winter when he was off form, he was rarely below a 7 or 8 out of 10, with a couple of spells where he was unplayable.

This season, he has been way off that level, but it's been clear that he isn't anywhere close to peak physical condition.

Needs a good rest and his hamstring to fully recover.

He's been dropping deep because he knows he can't get in behind due to having a dodgy hamstring.

Hes not looked fit this season, neither has most of the squad
Yes, we don't seem capable of that high octane last third pressing game that was being produced last season.
Lyon defended well tonight, but when they were pressed they made errors at the back, we just couldn't keep a high press on them for any length of time.
The players don't seem to be as fit as last season.

Totally agree. Kent seems the whipping boy for a lot. To me he’s about the only one that can create chances at a real high level, a lot down to his speed.
Even tonight when he didn’t look great we had nothing when he went off unfortunately.
That wasn't the case last season at all, bar a spell in the winter when he was off form, he was rarely below a 7 or 8 out of 10, with a couple of spells where he was unplayable.

This season, he has been way off that level, but it's been clear that he isn't anywhere close to peak physical condition.
Let me remind you that we paid 7.5 million pounds for ryan kent. 7.5 million!

The boy hasn’t looked right from the start of the season . Also is it just me or is he playing much deeper and more centrally ? It just is not working he’s at his best flying down the wings and bursting into the penalty box. Whatever Gerrard and his team have changed with Kent , I hope he changes it back
The 2 might be related. Carrying a strain so keep him more central. But agree it doesn’t work against better teams. Lyon happy to let us put it wide and mop up crosses.

Morelos and Balogun looked to be limping about in the last phase of the game as well.

No clue why he didn’t protect them the game was clearly done by then.

The 2 might be related. Carrying a strain so keep him more central. But agree it doesn’t work against better teams. Lyon happy to let us put it wide and mop up crosses.
I know he had a hamstring tweak but still played against Celtic . We will probably now lose him for several weeks due to playing him tonight . Let him recover properly and come back the player we know he can be

And give sakala a chance to show what he can do

Was probably our best player in the first half and was involved in everything half decent we did.

He’s a genuinely terrific player and hasn’t been on form this season, but there aren’t many you can say have been.

If he isn't fit then he is being thrown right under the bus.

Really commendable if Kent is willing to play through the pain, but Gerrard needs to be managing him way better.

Hopefully Kent gets assessed and eased back in.

It was obvious early doors that he’s still struggling with fitness. We can’t keep risking him, he needs rested until fully fit.

We have a really big squad but our management team don't seem to rotate players at all, other than maybe 2 or 3 positions. Add in being reluctant to use players from the bench.

We seem content in running Davis, Kent, Morelos and Tav into the ground until being forced to replace them. Wright, Patterson and Kelly should have been on the pitch far more than they have been this season, it's actually becoming infuriating we don't see them more.

Was probably our best player in the first half and was involved in everything half decent we did.

He’s a genuinely terrific player and hasn’t been on form this season, but there aren’t many you can say have been.
I genuinely thought he was our worst player in the first half, lost the ball for both goals and wasn't making the runs he should be
If he is unfit he shouldn't be playing

Weird performance

looked class at times first half but massively to blame for both goals
We lose stupid goals in most games against decent sides in Europe. We are just a level below the likes of Lyon. It’s not great but just where we are

Back