Steven Davis in Europe

JuanOrtiz

Before everyone goes mental he can still cruise the SPFL I have no worries there but in Europe I think your 6 has to have physicality presence and legs most importantly, lundstrum looked decent after he went off what’s people’s thoughts on Davis in Europe is he done or am i smoking blues on a pipe?

He’s played way too much football towards the end of last season and the beginning of this, not to mention turning out for NI. We are so dependent on him with no real midfield choices to step in. I would imagine the wee man is jaded and he needs help to take the burden off him, because we are very reliant on him making us tick.

For me we need to look at getting a player to eventually replace Davis in the summer but didn't happen.

He has played alot of football at his age and maybe tonight caught up to him but he is still our best midfielder.

I think it depends who we’re playing, I don’t think he has it in him to play against a Lyon but I think he’ll be fine against Brondby and Sparta

Our whole midfield had an off night, Kamara doesn’t look the same boy he was last season and Aribo had a nightmare , lundstrom gets pass marks but it was all very laboured and scrappy

Davis is fine and will play well again , we played against a youthful team full of fitness and savvy tonight and it showed massively

It is heresy on here to be anything other than effusive about Davis.

But in all honesty, the fact most weeks he is a candidate for MoTM is not really the best sign that we have a real effective midfield.

Davis does his best work tactically and winning the ball back, and he is outshining other players week in week out.

We are expecting him to be a playmaker and I am just not sure how effective he is these days playing forward.

The midfield needed refreshed in the summer, Jack replaced and a playmaker signed to take the load off Davis.

It isn't a good look that Davis at 36 is outperforming Aribo and Kamara and Lundstram. It isn't great that Gerrard can't see this and address it.

Shown up big time tonight.

Tbf we shouldn't be relying on him at his age in these games anymore sums up how there is not much quality in middle of the park for us.

He needs a break. Only a mug would write him off at any level.

Exactly and he had a very good first half just seemed to be getting jaded not long after the restart.

He's played every minute of the season so far at 36 and hopefully that's the manager starting to manage his game time a bit better.

There was a point in the second half where he lost the ball and I've never seen him look so leggy trying to get back.

Would hardly be a surprise considering the amount of football he plays at his age.

As a massive fan I think we're asking too much of him to play so much. His quality is hard to buy but I noted with interest that Lundstram took over from him tonight and slotted into that position.

Before everyone goes mental he can still cruise the SPFL I have no worries there but in Europe I think your 6 has to have physicality presence and legs most importantly, lundstrum looked decent after he went off what’s people’s thoughts on Davis in Europe is he done or am i smoking blues on a pipe?
I think we need to manage SD better as he’s not getting any younger!

We could have done with a nailed on quality midfielder but events with Covid, list revenue, the fact we are heavily loss making and didn't get into champs league. I think any plans we had to bring in a Veerman type evaporated. Time will tell if Bacuna is up to it as an alternative.

I'll say it again though, Lyon are the best team we will play this season and we were well beaten. Put together a run and beat the next couple of Europa League sides and this will seem like a distant memory

BT said he's played 36 out of our last 38 games which is absolutely insane at his age.

Chuck in the NI games as well and we're running him into the ground.
This.

Lundstram’s performance was encouraging. Hopefully both he and Bacuna step up so we can take the pressure off him.

The wee man was terrible tonight.

We shouldn't be relying on a 36 year old Davis every game! Wasnt his best game but managed in the right way he still had a good few years left in the legs

Is there many other 36 year olds playing week in week out around Europe? He isn’t a normal 36 year old he is a dedicated professional but Father Time is undefeated I wonder if gerrard will persist with him in Europe tonight he was getting one two’d and you could see big gap in the middle of the park he’s good against teams sat in but against good sides in Europe were its a game of transitions then he just looks old

Telling for me that Lundstram looked significantly better when Davis went off.

I don't think the two of them are a good fit together.

He has been average since the start of the season.
As players grow older and mistakes creep into their game, you always get the fear that you are watching the rot set in.
However, the entire team hasn't exactly been anywhere near as sharp as we know that can be, so it is probably unfair to highlight Steven Davis.
It is a testament to his form last season that when you see him make mistakes it is so noticable.

He had an off night for me with his passing but he was up against a quality team. I can accept tonight from Davis as he’s highly consistent and probably one of the first names on the team sheet. Whether his game time should be managed better is another discussion right enough

He clearly loves playing for his country and is a record breaking legend for them.

Wish he would call it a day though and rest up during the international breaks but it is his choice.

Admirable of him to have the appetite and desire to keep playing for them but it does us no favours.

As I said, his choice.

Davo was way off it tonight and that was evident early on.
I thought Lundstram was okay. He certainly grew stronger once Davo left the field.
I also thought Glen Kamara had a quiet game too, looked a bit casual in possession a few times.

I love him , he’s outstanding .

Ive replaced Torry Gillick with Steven Davis when I sing the Rangers chorus .

Him & Kamara are so far ahead of our other midfield options , that they make them look ordinary , but the maestro, Davis is definitely needing his game time managed with a bit more consideration .

Don’t wish him gone too soon , he’s a once in a generation player , a rolls Royce .

Ryan Jack

Your smoking blues on a pipe

BT said he's played 36 out of our last 38 games which is absolutely insane at his age.

Chuck in the NI games as well and we're running him into the ground.
This every single day of the week. SD should be an option to play 50 to 70% of our games. We are running the guy into the ground. For what it's worth, tonight was the most obvious, but I think he has been one of the factors in our less than stellar start to the season.

It shouldn't be controversial to state Davis has obvious deficiencies which do hold us back at this level. He's a wonderful player who has performed phenomenally across his time here and particularly in the last year, but he's also 36 and even at his peak not exactly athletically dominant. When we do eventually replace him I'm absolutely certain the profile of player we do it with won't look a thing like Davis does and will likely be someone athletic who is comfortable pressing from the base of midfield and sacrifices some of Davis technical ability for a better standard of ball carrying ability.

As you say, he'll piss the SPFL and likely not look out of place against Sparta and Brondby; but when we meet teams who are on paper better than us and we're looking to upset them then I don't see why it's controversial to say Steven Davis at 36 has obvious limitations to his game which limit our options and ceiling we can reach.

He showed tonight that he just doesn’t have it, well tonight he didn’t anyway and was the worst midfielder on the park

I’m first to admit that SD had the proverbial stinker tonight.

But the challenge for you is to tell me the last time he had a complete stinker.

Steven Davis’ll do for me.

He had a poor game tonight and we need a long-term replacement but also he has to call it a day on the international stuff. He’s had a great career but we pay his wages, it can’t be making us weaker.

Thought he was 1 of out better players in the 1st half doing the things well that he normally does.
He did have a shocking start to the 2nd half, that’ll be him done again and ready for the scrap heap.
Hope we find some money 1st as it will cost us to find an adequate replacement.

As a massive fan I think we're asking too much of him to play so much. His quality is hard to buy but I noted with interest that Lundstram took over from him tonight and slotted into that position.

Thought Lundstram looked much more comfortable when he moved into that role when Davis went off

who was good tonight?

He showed tonight that he just doesn’t have it, well tonight he didn’t anyway and was the worst midfielder on the park

Not his best game tonight but these comments show that you just don't have it, well tonight you don't anyway as this is one of the worst takes on the forum amidst a lot of hysterical overreacting.

Last edited:
Thought Davis was alright tonight. Not his best game, but playing a very good team. I think Gerrard brings him off at 0-2 partly because we need an injection of pace to have a hope of getting back in it, but partly because he's thinking if it turns out the game is done then Lundstram at least gets an opportunity to step up while Davis gets a rest.

Back