The Goldson booking

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Incident was on the far touchline from us and didn't get the best view of it. But I got a text from a Rangers supporting mate straight after it saying he should have been sent off.

I'm assuming VAR at Ibrox last night, so if it was that bad he would have gone off.

Was he a bit lucky, or was my pal talking mince?

Also, do bookings in the CL and Europa qualifiers carry into the group stage for suspensions? We must have got a few yellows against Malmo and Alashkert, have we anyone a booking away from a ban? Definite advantage to the teams who go straight into the group stage if yellows in qualifiers count.

Incident was on the far touchline from us and didn't get the best view of it. But I got a text from a Rangers supporting mate straight after it saying he should have been sent off.

I'm assuming VAR at Ibrox last night, so if it was that bad he would have gone off.

Also, do bookings in the CL and Europa qualifiers carry into the group stage for suspensions? We must have got a few yellows against Malmo and Alashkert, have we anyone a booking away from a ban? Definite advantage to the teams who go straight into the group stage if yellows in qualifiers count.
VAR checked it and thought a yellow was sufficient. Probably because it was clumsy rather than malicious.

According to Heart and Hand there was a VAR review.

Was right in front of me, definitely yellow but think it would have been a harsh red.

All I’ll say is if that had been a challenge on one of our attackers I’d have wanted a red give how late and how high it was; and the majority here would have it down as a red. Thought it was a mental challenge and he was a bit fortunate to be honest.

Yes, it did get reviewed watching it back, its one of them where if you freeze frame at the right moment its bordering on a red to be honest but watching in normal speed looks a yellow

It was never a red card challenge, was a booking and that was it
100 percent booking, never a red card! Unfortunately I never made the game last night as I'm on holiday and had to listen to that idiot craigen who was making it out he was lucky it to get a red card. The guy is an utter prick!

I think it was one of those challenges that var wouldn't have overturned either punishment, had the ref given a red it wouldn't have downgraded it and with the yellow given var didn't upgrade it.

It was right on the borderline of yellow/red.

Goldson was high in the tackle and knew exactly what he was doing to stop the forward.

At the time I thought Goldson himself believed he may be in a spot of bother hence getting the physio on for treatment (as he was perfectly fine as soon as he got up).

i must admit to thinking he may go if VAR comes into play.

It was a bizzare incident, no idea what he was trying to do, it was a pretty bad challenge although the Lyon player ripped the arse out of it
What made the foul worse though was the height of his foot, near about waist height. A simple ‘innocent type’ barge would have sufficed and wouldn’t have risked receiving a red.

It was a bizzare incident, no idea what he was trying to do, it was a pretty bad challenge although the Lyon player ripped the arse out of it
Was just trying a cynical foul to stop Ekambi getting away and he was just to quick for Goldson. Had the fear at the time he had done a Jordan Jones and fecked himself when he was holding his knee.

It was in front of where I was sitting. A yellow, no more. Never a red in a million years.

At the time I thought var could have upgraded to a red , Goldson was high , late and as lucky boy

Was just trying a cynical foul to stop Ekambi getting away and he was just to quick for Goldson. Had the fear at the time he had done a Jordan Jones and fecked himself when he was holding his knee.
He often pretends to be injured when he thinks he is in trouble. Did the same v Malmo when the boy got sent off.

Goldson is quite a European style gamesmanship player in that sense. He's the one player in our side that has learned that at that level as a defender, if you get a slight touch on your back you will always get a free kick if you go down. He plays that side of the modern game very well.

Could have been a red, not only late but also very high.

The ref was probably one of them Continental Masons! ;)

Easy to say in hindsight because we’ll never know what would have happened. Felt it was quite needless as players were on the inside ready to cover.

At the time I thought Goldson himself believed he may be in a spot of bother hence getting the physio on for treatment (as he was perfectly fine as soon as he got up).

i must admit to thinking he may go if VAR comes into play.
My thoughts exactly

Although it wasn't intentional, it was a horrific challenge and couldn't have complained if it was red. No idea what hey was trying to do.

Booking was correct imo. Poor challenge but didn't quite get to serious foul play. That banger Craigan called it 'a really strong yellow'. For once I understood what he meant.

What I will say is, had that foul been committed on one of our players, we would be reading a ten page thread about 'Tim Referees' just now. :)

One of those decisions, where a huge number will think we got away with one. Probably just depends how you view the game now.

Was cynical much the same as Chiellini on Sako at the Euros.

Wasnt close to a red for me.

Rightly or wrongly, we’d have been screaming for a red of someone done it to one of our players.

An absolutely ridiculous challenge from a player who just doesn’t seem on it at all this season.

That’s the first I heard of it as being so bad.
That a VAR check had been done to see if it were a red!

It was a shocker from the big man. I was fully expecting VAR to overturn it to a red. I can only assume the fact it was clumsy, rather than malicious, got him some leeway.

Booking was correct imo. Poor challenge but didn't quite get to serious foul play. That banger Craigan called it 'a really strong yellow'. For once I understood what he meant.

What I will say is, had that foul been committed on one of our players, we would be reading a ten page thread about 'Tim Referees' just now. :)

One of those decisions, where a huge number will think we got away with one. Probably just depends how you view the game now.

in that case the ref made up for it the rest of the game
gave us little

the foul on Balogun that saw a booking was worse IMO

and was it Boateng that brought down Wright outside the box - if so, that should have been his 2nd yellow - telltale sign was him getting as far away from the ref as possible + his bench hooking him right after
That was going to be my question.
That and a comparison to the St.Johnstone player on Kent last Sunday.

Back