Goldson Contract ?

Who is paying money for him in January when his deal runs out at the end of the season? Only way we're getting money for him now is if a lower grade EPL side or promotion chasing Championship side has an injury problem at the back and they need some urgent help.

There is always a club

I think goldson is still playing fairly well. Id sooner see him stay and go for free (hopefully winning us league) then sell in jan.

Goldson leaving would be an immense loss for the side. He, especially on Sunday, was creating most of the chances going forward in that first half.

The diagonal ball he plays for us is so important in fact, it would completely change our style of play. It speaks a lot about the midfield's current form when you are picking out a defender and praising him on his through balls.

This is just something I've noticed however, and I may be wrong.

Ok, so belittling anyone who dares question what a bunch of millionaires are doing?

It wouldn't be the first time, or the last time "millionaire businessmen" at our club have made an arse of things, much less player trading arrangements.

No not belittling anyone. Simply pointing out that guys funding the club will have weighed up all the pros and cons and, thankfully, maybe aren't seeing everything from simply a business view or realise that keeping him might actually result in better business either with someone we want being available next summer or by us getting to the CL.

Additionally the offers on the table for Goldson,if there even were any, may have not made business sense.

Big job for Wilson to get it sorted.

I think Gerrard will want a crack at the CL on his resume.

We will be whipping boys though unless we spend some serious cash. Taking a few doings in the CL and finishing bottom of the group won't really add much more to his CV.

We are looking at a massive rebuild. Gerrard might think this is the perfect time to hand the reigns on as well. If he was to do 2IAR and leave the club in the CL it would be job done for his part.
Who knows why lies ahead, but I would not be surprised if Gerrard leaves in the summer.

Not necessarily for another job, but "has taken us as far as he can" and to spend time with family and move back home etc.

We are looking at a massive rebuild. Gerrard might think this is the perfect time to hand the reigns on as well. If he was to do 2IAR and leave the club in the CL it would be job done for his part.

I've had this feeling as well.

If Gerrard wins the title this season, his job is done up here. Taken us to the top and kept us there.

I'm not convinced he'd hang around for another rebuild which is what we are basically having to do next summer.

I also think he'll need a couple of seasons down south or abroad before Liverpool even consider him for their job

I've had this feeling as well.

If Gerrard wins the title this season, his job is done up here. Taken us to the top and kept us there.

I'm not convinced he'd hang around for another rebuild which is what we are basically having to do next summer.

I also think he'll need a couple of seasons down south or abroad before Liverpool even consider him for their job

I think he’d want a shot in the CL.

Also needs to get the cup monkey off his back, imo.

Saying that, he might not fancy a pumping in the CL.

Are you genuinely a WUM or are these your actual opinions? Should we play our best centre back to try and win the league and earn the guaranteed Champions League spot or drop him because he won't be here next season? It's a tough one.
Are you old enough to remember what happened to Laudrup in his final season with us? Downed tools in January and was an empty Jersey for his final 5 months.

If we win the league and get CL Gerrard will definitely stay, he won't get CL with any other team open to him unless Liverpool were prepared to give him a chance this early.

Goldson isn't signing a new deal.. if he was it would have been finalised by now.

For the money we'd get in January I'd gamble and keep him in the hope he helps win the league and we get that CL money.

He hasn't been excellent.
I think he has, not the ridiculous levels of last season but he’s been very good. Was a 1 man band again at the weekend beside Simpson and covered his arse consistently. Even at the goal he still managed to get back and win the tackle.

He's offski or it would be signed by now
Sell him in January for what we can get we gave him a platform and it looks like he has been got at by a club down south, if they don't pay up sit him on the bench until he goes, we owe him nothing, he owes us.

If we win the league this season and bring in some quality I'd be hopeful Kamara signs on. Goldson I think is going. The rebuild we have ahead is something to be excited about.

There are some good Bosmans out there with a bit of pedigree who should be gettable

Albert Gudmundsson 24 yr old AZ Alkmaar right winger. Icelandic international, well over 100 games in top flight Dutch football and a good age.

Danhilo Doehki - discussed at length, Captain of his team, 23 and schooled at Ajax for years. He's a big athletic lad well over 6 feet tall and broad shouldered. Former U21 international

Konstantinos Laifis, 28yrs old CB captain of Standard Liege and Cyprus. Left footed. Loads of top end experience in Belgium.
Kamara is not signing don't kid your self, Gerrard said the club had made him an excellent offer about a month ago, he is for off so we should get what we can for him and bring in a player who wants to play for us, at least for a season or two.

Reactions: BWO
Rangers are a football team with people paying thousands a season to watch the team. Not everything can be a business decision.

If we couldn't get a better centre half in for the money anyone was willing to offer for Goldson, which may well have been a pittance give SG has said there were no offers for our players, then we would have to spend money we didn't have with no guarantee of success.

You can't just assume there was a £7m offer on the table and another centre half willing to come for £4m of the same level. On that basis, the prospect of CL next year and better Europa results and therefore cash this year are the beta option.

I'm pretty sure the successful businessman at the club understand this situation.

Keeping in mind the league we play in and the players we attract currently 3/4m on a centre half is nothing to sniff at, no reason why we couldn't have replaced him for that, it's more than we ever really spend on players and anytime we have under Gerrard to my memory they've taken us up a level - Kent/Roofe/Helander.

It's more speculative and naive to assume we would win the title and have him committed and in form.

We have had a year to think this over and find a solution not a week before the summer window shuts so it's just really poor planning and you can see Kent, Aribo, Morelos and Kamara as a prime example of how that's a pattern not a one off with just Goldson.

As far as I have been told Goldson wants to stay however when lundstrum came in he was given a contract that makes him the 2nd highest earner at the club. Goldson believes he should be at least on par with lundstrum who is apparently on £36k per week

I’d be very surprised if Gerrard is still here next season.
was thinking this yesterday.

I get the CL pull and hopefully we win the league and hes here for next season too.

But i do keep thinking the fact hes family is down in Liverpool and next season would be hes 5th i have a feeling this is hes last

Have noticed this thread taking a turn and speculating about Stevie G's longevity. I also think this is either his last season or penultimate season. I think he would want a crack at the champions League proper.

No way is Goldson going to a CL team in the UK so he might sign a shortish extension.

I do wonder if signing Lindstrum, potentially on really good money has upset the applecart a wee bit. As in, goldson is our rock and plays if fit..he should he on more money than Lindstrum

As far as I have been told Goldson wants to stay however when lundstrum came in he was given a contract that makes him the 2nd highest earner at the club. Goldson believes he should be at least on par with lundstrum who is apparently on £36k per week
This will go down well here :))

£36k pw... I am not believing that.

However, Goldson deserves to be one of if not the highest earners at the club.

He is our rock. I would like to see him sign a new long term deal

£36k pw... I am not believing that.

However, Goldson deserves to be one of if not the highest earners at the club.

He is our rock. I would like to see him sign a new long term deal
To be fair, H&H said he was the second highest paid player at the club - so it would be in that ball park but £36k seems a wee bit higher than I expected.

(Presume Roofe is the highest paid, then Lundstram, then Alfie).

To be fair, H&H said he was the second highest paid player at the club - so it would be in that ball park but £36k seems a wee bit higher than I expected.

I'm surprised we have a wage structure that would give a player £36,000 that's a staggering amount of money.

That's the sort of money Murray was handing out to players in the Advocatt era.

I’m sorry but if goldson or kamara don’t want to sign deals then they shouldn’t be in match day squads.

no player is bigger than the club.

that’s IF that is the case with both of them

If that's the case can we have any of the guys he's going to be replacing?

Kurt Zouma
Craig Dawson
Angelo Ogbonna
Issa Diop
Winston Reid

Good luck in getting games there
Ogbonna is 33 and out of contract at the end of the season. Reid is 33 and has one year left. Dawson is 31 and will have one year left too. Neither of those 2 are getting a new contract at West Ham at 34 and 32

When I was told I never thought to ask who was the highest, I presumed it was Alfie as he was getting a new contract every week at one point.

Ogbonna is 33 and out of contract at the end of the season. Reid is 33 and has one year left. Dawson is 31 and will have one year left too. Neither of those 2 are getting a new contract at West Ham at 34 and 32

anytime I’ve watched Dawson I’ve thought he was a bombscare at the back

Are you old enough to remember what happened to Laudrup in his final season with us? Downed tools in January and was an empty Jersey for his final 5 months.
Which is understandable, from a player's point of view. Rangers can't afford for this to be the case though.

Goldson isn't signing a new deal.. if he was it would have been finalised by now.

For the money we'd get in January I'd gamble and keep him in the hope he helps win the league and we get that CL money.
We could win this league with you and me at centre half. The Tims have Bolongoli back in the side, and Ajeti is now their best striker.

Really? It's a million times more competitive than the SPL and most teams can pay decent wages. The championship is a great league. I believe I read it was the 4th or 5th most competitive league in Europe.
It really isn’t a great league. It’s obviously miles better than the SPL, but it’s massively overrated and filled with over priced mediocrity.

I am a bit lost on how we would have been down money, we don't need to spend 6-8m to get a player like Goldson, especially given an entire years notice on the situation.

He's now out of form, is likely leaving for nothing and we have far less to go and bring in someone committed who can replace him or even hopefully bring us up a level.

The attitude of assuming it will gift us the title or there's no better out there simply means we won't be able to sell our assets and find new ones for less than we sell, that's supposed to be our business model.

It's an awful business approach.
Our business approach in general is worrying. We aren’t turning profits on players, we aren’t really generating any transfer income at all and we aren’t bringing youths through either. For a club with our financial history, this is all very worrying.

I thought the idea was we were going to become a modern, progressive club - one which would look to develop cheap, young players and turn a profit.

At the moment though we have a squad depreciating in value. I don’t see how this is a sustainable business approach.

That's the attitude that has led to Kamara and Goldson constantly being linked away though, if you do it with one player who you cannot replace then fair enough but it's a clear pattern of poor business decisions being made by the club.

We can't afford to be in a position where we aren't telling people here's a deal, sign it or leave right now.

Every player should be on a six year contract minimum! That way we'll never lose any player on a free.

Edit: And Lundstram's wage seems to go up every time it's mentioned on here.

I'm surprised we have a wage structure that would give a player £36,000 that's a staggering amount of money.

That's the sort of money Murray was handing out to players in the Advocatt era
Which was also 20 plus years ago. As much as money has went daft in football and Scottish football has got relatively quieter, inflation will catch up eventually.

Yip if he decides to leave ill not be very happy with him.

Gerrard&Fans have shown immense loyalty to him by sticking by him when he was woeful during 2019-2020 season after winter break.

Him and Kamara should sign contracts prior to Jan. Loyalty means so much to the fans.

I mean why would you want to move from Rangers when you are a regular starter. The only reason would be to go and play for the team you support.

and/or the extra £20k + per week you’ll get from a low to mid ranking EPL side!

Which was also 20 plus years ago. As much as money has went daft in football and Scottish football has got relatively quieter, inflation will catch up eventually.
£36,000 still seems very high though? Of course inflation and everything comes into play since the 90s/00s but that’s still a lot more than I expected

£36,000 still seems very high though? Of course inflation and everything comes into play since the 90s/00s but that’s still a lot more than I expected
It's a huge wage by spfl standards, but if we genuinely have ambitions of CL group stage football then we need to have a tier of 2 or 3 players on that sort of money.

Trust Goldson to give his all but the club should never allow key players to get into the last 12 months of their contracts.

We could now have a situation where he is playing for us after January but has a new move lined up and whilst his attitude is great that is always going to play a part in how he plays.

Back