Celtics Annual Results - Shareholdings

Does anybody genuinely not believe that they’re going to be reflecting approx. £25m for the sales of Ajer & Edouard in next year’s accounts?

Their figures are de ent and their transfer policy provides good returns on funds invested. If it didn’t, they’d be dependent on loans from Fritzl.
Does anybody really care?

And we bought Ball, Shota, Nerlinger etc.

Forget the headline figure; it’s sales V costs.

Say Rangers got £7m for Jela, it’s irrelevant we spent say£4m straight away on Lafferty :oops:

The £10m quoted was after buying players, we brought in over 20m in sales and spent around 10. Might have been the beginning of the downsizing under Eck. We done similar a few seasons later when we sold Barry but ended up buying him back for a similar amount.

I’m not an accountant, but I suspect ours will be considerably worse. It’s all relative though, we still have a few assets - they have one or two at best.

Win the league, hope to fck the CL winners qualify through their league - and we will be in a good place.
Balance sheets will only show the amortised cost of players. We have a number of players whose actual value is way above cost e.g. Morelos. That will not show up in the accounts until the profit when sold. I believe Celtic have considerably less of this hidden value increase in their books. Their accounts are bound to look better relative to reality than ours. If players were shown at market value our accounts would look a lot better than theirs.

Balance sheets will only show the amortised cost of players. We have a number of players whose actual value is way above cost e.g. Morelos. That will not show up in the accounts until the profit when sold. I believe Celtic have considerably less of this hidden value increase in their books. Their accounts are bound to look better relative to reality than ours. If players were shown at market value our accounts would look a lot better than theirs.
Yeah definitely.

agreed, im struggling to think of double figure (millions) players in their squad. They have sold all their credible assets.

I would expect our accounts to be much the same, perhaps slightly worse in terms of a loss. I make a crude & unscientific assessment of our position below:

Our Turnover in 2019/2020 was £59m, so we have more or less caught them up in that sense, with them now at £60m Turnover this summer. Quite a contract to 2017 when their's was £101m and ours about £33m.

From our £59m Turnover in 2020 accounts, we will have lost about £12m income from European gate money with no crowds, a significant drop.

Our player spend in 20/21 will be similar to our spend in 19/20, about £10m (Hagi, Roofe, Itten) with similarly almost no player sales income again like 2019/20.

Our retail income should be significantly up from 19/20 based on the initial royalty payment from Castore of £5m and any further profit shares in what must have been one of our most lucrative year of retail sales ever. We also generated about £1m extra from MyGers memberships, and an extra £1 or 2m from Europa League group points awards than the year.

So I would speculate that our turnover for 20/21 may be down to around £55m, with a loss of about £15m.

Looking ahead since June, their sales of Edouard, Christie and Ajer will have funded their summer rebuild along with some profit and they will also benefit from 3 x home Europa League gates they never got least season, so i'd expect them back breaking even next summer.

Same with us, but due to the fact that we have spent zero money on player transfers, but will also benefit from the European full houses to the tune of about £12m.

So based on that, whoever wins the SPFL this season can start the following season confidently with a £30m head start with winners straight into UCL, making this title the biggest since........................................last year!

The final bonus from the Knew Balance deal, that’s why the league had to be called before the Adidas deal kicked in.

I posted it at the time, there was rumoured to be a crazy bonus for winning the league every season.
You spell check keeps spelling new as Knew mate , strange that mines probably the same :D .

I’m not an accountant, but I suspect ours will be considerably worse. It’s all relative though, we still have a few assets - they have one or two at best.

Win the league, hope to fck the CL winners qualify through their league - and we will be in a good place.

I was expecting worse but it is what it is.

We have assets but are yet to receive a bid that matches our valuation. The longer that goes on, the less time left on their contracts.

League title is an absolute must this season.

I was expecting worse but it is what it is.

We have assets but are yet to receive a bid that matches our valuation. The longer that goes on, the less time left on their contracts.

League title is an absolute must this season.
Definitely, factor in player ages too as our main assets will be 26 next season and clubs will feel they are running out of time to develop them.

Priority right now is winning the league and sorting contracts, but there’s a fair few assets that we need to tie down.

Total Loss £12.6m
Increase in Liabilities
Drop in Cash and equivalents.
Theres also, under Revenue - Other Income, a figure of £5m which was zero the year before. I can’t see what this relates to in the notes.
In other words, being as negative as possible, £5m has appeared without explanation under Revenue In this years figures, where last year‘s equivalent was zero. Why hide an amount of £5m under “Other Income”
Any ideas?

our accounts will have a heavier loss, however our assets are far better.
For now yes, however if we don’t get our finger out and either start shifting players for good money in January or extending contracts then we’re going to quickly find ourselves in a nightmare scenario next summer where all our top players are either out of contract or have just a year to go.

The £10m quoted was after buying players, we brought in over 20m in sales and spent around 10. Might have been the beginning of the downsizing under Eck. We done similar a few seasons later when we sold Barry but ended up buying him back for a similar amount.

that transfer period was a fućking car crash and we were in the midst of an economic omnishambles.

Not doubting that we made £10m in that reporting period ( I questioned as to whether or not we’d ever made £9.7m).

But for clarity, we sold Gio, Tugay and Alberto to buy Netlinger, Ball and the like.

p4105.png
Fair play, fair play

Definitely, factor in player ages too as our main assets will be 26 next season and clubs will feel they are running out of time to develop them.

Priority right now is winning the league and sorting contracts, but there’s a fair few assets that we need to tie down.

Next two (22 and 23) summers see a number of first team players out of contract. McGregor, McLaughlin, Goldson, Balogun, Davis, Arfield, Kamara, Morelos, Jack, Helander, Kent, Aribo. If transfermarkt are correct???

Four seasons into Gerrard’s tenure and we’ve still not made that sale (that’s not a dig at Gerrard).

A lot of work required next summer. I don’t know where the money is coming from?

As somone pointed out above, they are now out of sellable assets.

They face an extrenmely challenging period ahead.
They will get good money for Macgregor and probably Kyogo as well if he keeps his form up the whole season and doesn't burn out since he was well ahead of everyone else in terms of games. After those 2 then I would say they're struggling to have anyone else

They’ve got more than 16m in the bank where we rely on directors loans to keep the lights on.

This seasons league title is vital. We must win the league.
I thought the counted their credit facility as money in the bank. Why would they be borrowing at 8% interest if they've got the cash?

Is there any mention how much the refunds cost the club?

My pal who supports that lot said thousands were requesting refunds as a means of getting at the board

For now yes, however if we don’t get our finger out and either start shifting players for good money in January or extending contracts then we’re going to quickly find ourselves in a nightmare scenario next summer where all our top players are either out of contract or have just a year to go.

This was talked about towards the end of last season and during the summer but was shot down with the usual comments of; just enjoy ‘55, panty wetters etc.

Hugh Keevins is always saying they ( Celtc) have millions in the bank, it doesn't look like that to me?
They have money from Season tickets - but it will be long gone before next summer.

There is no treasure chest.

We didn't spend much on transfer fees this summer - will polish our accounts next year...

Total Loss £12.6m
Increase in Liabilities
Drop in Cash and equivalents.
Theres also, under Revenue - Other Income, a figure of £5m which was zero the year before. I can’t see what this relates to in the notes.
In other words, being as negative as possible, £5m has appeared without explanation under Revenue In this years figures, where last year‘s equivalent was zero. Why hide an amount of £5m under “Other Income”
Any ideas?
A loan from the Government perhaps?
I know we took up the offer from the Scottish Government as did most other SPFL clubs although it was noted at the time that they didn't appear on the list?

Back