Goldson Contract ?

If its causing unrest in the team fair play to him, if a club is offering 50+k a week more on a wage or whatever your going to take it, almost anyone would do the same, the defence needs folk who want it to be here

If its causing unrest in the team fair play to him, if a club is offering 50+k a week more on a wage or whatever your going to take it, almost anyone would do the same, the defence needs folk who want it to be here

If true then I stand by with what I posted a few weeks ago, unless we have no one else then he shouldn't be near the squad. Best trying to save on wages and letting him go early if he signs. This isn't a dig at him but it's human nature that you won't take any risks while playing the now that could affect that next contract. A 50/50 ball would probably be avoided etc. His head would always be a bit elsewhere like everyone's would be. We need players on the park who's focused on the game being played and not making decisions on the park with avoiding injury being the priority and not the team.

I think Gerrard will be gone at the end of this season
I think so too. It feels a sizeable rebuild will be required with McGregor, Goldson, Davis all likely to need replaced, and decisions on Kamara, Alfie, Kent required. You couldn't blame Gerrard for not having the desire for it.

The big hope for our future is that we win the league. Champions League money and hopefully a sale will make that rebuild easier and, more importantly, quicker.

The club have to start moving players on for a fee - you can't blame the players, if you could get yourself a move to a better paying job you would.

Really he is not that good. Too many lapses in concentration against good teams

He's an excellent defender and has also got the best distribution out of any central defender I've ever seen in the flesh at Rangers.

Definitely the best I've seen in the air too.

Before anyone asks, I was too young to see Butcher and although I saw Gough play, I was too young to appreciate him.

Wilson will really need to earn his corn in January this year. I expect a decent amount of pre contracts this winter window, hopefully of a better quality than last year.

Mcgregor, Goldson, Balogun, Davis all out of contract.

Realistic bids for borna, Kamara Kent and morelos will be entertained.

Winning the league this year is almost more important than last year, we need CL money to move up a level.

I'm perfectly okay with Goldson being described as not that good, as it, ironically, probably means he really is that good and makes the game look easy most of the time. Bobby Moore was before my time really, but I was watching a thing about a year ago where the former coach of Man City, Malcolm Allison, was talking about Moore, and said he went through games as if he didn't do much- Allison was apparently an early mentor of Moore's, so he knew him well. Goldson is obviously not another Bobby Moore, but he probably does a lot more than he's given credit for.

Goldson would comfortably get a game for West Ham, he is class, some of our supports breakdown of his ability is so weird.
I disagree, I think he’s struggle to get anywhere near their first team. He isn’t anywhere near the level of Kurt Zouma or Issa Diop.
On last seasons form he would get a bottom half premiership team, but people seemed to have forgotten his first 2 seasons where if he’d been sold not too many would have been too disappointed.

He’s not signing a new contract by the look of it & if he’s got a mega bucks offer from West Ham I can fully understand it.

As for it being Gerrard’s last season of course it’s a possibility.

If we go straight into UCL groups am sure that would tempt him to stay, but he might get an offer from a club that’s in there every year & think the time is right for his next career move. Or we might win nowt this season & off he goes…

I disagree, I think he’s struggle to get anywhere near their first team. He isn’t anywhere near the level of Kurt Zouma or Issa Diop.
On last seasons form he would get a bottom half premiership team, but people seemed to have forgotten his first 2 seasons where if he’d been sold not too many would have been too disappointed.

I wouldn't say people "forget" they probably just don't dwell on the negative, and even saying that, your analysis of his levels those 2 seasons is slightly exaggerated and totally dismisses the circumstance of performance, i.e having to oft play with Worral who was more culpable more often than Goldson.

re West Ham, Craig Dawson has played for them this season and did last year, Rangers would be a measurably worse football team if they were to make a straight swap of Dawson for Goldson.

He’s not signing a new contract by the look of it & if he’s got a mega bucks offer from West Ham I can fully understand it.

As for it being Gerrard’s last season of course it’s a possibility.

If we go straight into UCL groups am sure that would tempt him to stay, but he might get an offer from a club that’s in there every year & think the time is right for his next career move. Or we might win nowt this season & off he goes…
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Gerrard at the end of the season . Personally I think he'll be away, but can't see him being offered the Liverpool job. Will he take another job down south ?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Gerrard at the end of the season . Personally I think he'll be away, but can't see him being offered the Liverpool job. Will he take another job down south ?
I can't see him moving on until Liverpool. 2024 Klopp's contact is up i think.

He's got plenty more to learn.

As for Goldson, as much as a rock he's been for us, i think he'll struggle in the Prem.

Maybe he will want to stay for CL football but it does feel like the bulk of the team will be broken up in the summer

I can't see him moving on until Liverpool. 2024 Klopp's contact is up i think.

He's got plenty more to learn.

As for Goldson, as much as a rock he's been for us, i think he'll struggle in the Prem.
Is Goldson better than Ajer ? ask yourself that question.

Ajer is now a regular for the team currently sitting in a respectable 9th place in the EPL - if you think Goldson would struggle in the EPL that is your barometer.

not to mention Shane Duffy who was a bomb scare @ Celtic is playing week in week out at Brighton this season.

Goldson is a tremendous player and has been a great signing for us .

I find it a bit strange that he hasn’t wanted the security of a new contract , it wouldn’t stop him leaving if a bid came in, and running down your deal is a massive risk in terms of if he were to pick up a bad injury in the second half of the season he would be screwed with no contract there for security .

I think , or hope , that he will sign a new deal

Is Goldson better than Ajer ? ask yourself that question.

Ajer is now a regular for the team currently sitting in a respectable 9th place in the EPL - if you think Goldson would struggle in the EPL that is your barometer.

not to mention Shane Duffy who was a bomb scare @ Celtic is playing week in week out at Brighton this season.
Amazing that Duffy is a regular pick down there

Goldson is a tremendous player and has been a great signing for us .

I find it a bit strange that he hasn’t wanted the security of a new contract , it wouldn’t stop him leaving if a bid came in, and running down your deal is a massive risk in terms of if he were to pick up a bad injury in the second half of the season he would be screwed with no contract there for security .

I think , or hope , that he will sign a new deal
I think we all know contracts mean nothing nowadays in respect to a player wanting to leave, just gives the club a bit of security on players value...you'd think Goldson would sign a new deal on better terms, knowing if a decent bid comes in he'll be away.

Amazing that Duffy is a regular pick down there
from his "performances" last season i agree - but to suggest Goldson who looks MILES ahead of both Duffy and Ajer would struggle is without foundation IMHO

I think we all know contracts mean nothing nowadays in respect to a player wanting to leave, just gives the club a bit of security on players value...you'd think Goldson would sign a new deal on better terms, knowing if a decent bid comes in he'll be away.
Also for his own security mate , he’s a commited guy on the pitch , it’s a risk for any player in any sport to run down their deal knowing an injury is just one mistimed tackle away

Wilson will really need to earn his corn in January this year. I expect a decent amount of pre contracts this winter window, hopefully of a better quality than last year.

Mcgregor, Goldson, Balogun, Davis all out of contract.

Realistic bids for borna, Kamara Kent and morelos will be entertained.

Winning the league this year is almost more important than last year, we need CL money to move up a level.
The next few weeks are massive, go on a winning run and they will implode psychologically like last season as they will drop points.

He's an excellent defender and has also got the best distribution out of any central defender I've ever seen in the flesh at Rangers.

Before anyone asks, I was too young to see Butcher and although I saw Gough play, I was too young to appreciate him.

He’s a very good defender and clearly a leader in the team and dressing room.

Massive challenge to replace him however, there are some well paid staff at the club who’s job it is to do just that

He’s a very good defender and clearly a leader in the team and dressing room.

Massive challenge to replace him however, there are some well paid staff at the club who’s job it is to do just that
Wilson needs to earn his quorn big tome

Think it’s blindingly clear that he’s away.

I hope we don’t regret not getting cash for him though. £3.5m fee and probably in our top 2/3 earners for all of his time at the club.

It’s slightly disappointing given we’ve provided him with a springboard to get his career back up and running at a good level, and we could have sold him for a decent amount.

He’s probably had more lapses in concentration this season already than the full of last season, it’s hard to think that it’s not related to the contract scenario.

Not close to Weir or Cuellar in the air for me, but agreed on distribution.

Big goal threat as well, I think that goes underrated a lot of the time.

Not close to Weir or Cuellar in the air for me, but agreed on distribution.

Big goal threat as well, I think that goes underrated a lot of the time.

He seldom, if ever, loses a ball in the air mate, plus he wins them cleanly too.

Terrific set piece marker imo.

I also think he probably scored more goals last season, than Weir and Cuellar combined in their whole Rangers careers.
Both of them were outstanding central defenders too, no question.

I suspect a few players are waiting until January to weigh up their options to see where we are sitting in terms of winning the league. I don't have any objection really to Goldson doing this - his choice will realistically be coming down to winning the league again this season with us and having a crack at champions league or having another crack at English Premiership with significantly better wages which could be his last major chance at that pay day.

Sad state of affairs when two of our best players might leave on a free, Goldson and Kamara, say what you want but thats total negligence from the club if that comes to pass, especially Kamara who should be going for big bucks. I'm worried about the clubs future something aint right.

Rangers have given him a platform. Personally I think the right thing to do if he wants to leave would b resign and have a release clause so we got something.

Sad state of affairs when two of our best players might leave on a free, Goldson and Kamara, say what you want but thats total negligence from the club if that comes to pass, especially Kamara who should be going for big bucks. I'm worried about the clubs future something aint right.
We will sell Kamara in the summer if he doesn’t sign an extension, still has an extra year on Goldson

I cant see how he does his job properly tbh

Weekend of the county game

Anfield Saturday lunch time
County Sunday lunch time
Liverpool Monday morning

As the person who told me this says - if he was the Liverpool manger he would be in his office/training ground day and night.
I’m sure his league winners medal shows he does his job properly :cool:

I cant see how he does his job properly tbh

Weekend of the county game

Anfield Saturday lunch time
County Sunday lunch time
Liverpool Monday morning

As the person who told me this says - if he was the Liverpool manger he would be in his office/training ground day and night.
If you have kids of your own, surely you understand his desire to spend as much time with them as possible?

Back