What's going on - Why have we stopped scoring goals

Bearinabluehose

This bit us on the arse last week almost again today.
That second goal means we are watching far to much nervous play .

We seem to have lost a cutting edge my own thoughts are the buff is playing a different game on instructions obviously and roofe is off from .

The midfeild looks a bit lost for ideas and a touch killer instinct again playing nervous.

Strangely John Lundstrom has had his best 2 games the last 2 for us and I for one is glad he has picked up .

The defence looks like it's suffering from a lack of communication with each other and when we are not scoring they look like they are barely coping with the pressure.

A couple of times today in the last 15 mins tav was done very easily on the right and Dundee had far to many free headers today !

Overall to many things are off. It's a bit concerning because we maybe getting results but it seems if we lose a bit of luck things can soon change when your playing nervous .

A side note if Dundee put the kind of effort in against us today most weeks they would do a bit better Inc their physical game today lots of late hits on other players.

We don’t play with a high press anymore so that limits the number of times we win the ball high up the park. This has actually been one of our strengths under Gerrard but we don’t seem to do it anymore.

Our forward players don’t produce enough “numbers”. I know I sound like a broken record at times but Morelos and Kent, especially, need to be producing more (goals and assists).

The main reason we’re struggling offensively though is because Tav isn’t playing at the outstanding level he did last season. He’s our most creative and productive player and he’s struggling to hit the heights he has previously.

Our forwards and midfielders are letting us down at the moment and their lack of production is affecting the confidence of the defence.

We need to get back to playing at a high tempo with a high press and putting these poor teams under pressure.

We're not our fluid best.

However, we scored 1 more than the opposition today. When all is said and done, that's all that matters.
Be interesting to see what Gerrard says he’ll be happy with the win but raging at the performance

Said it before our speed in transition is terrible. Lyon and good teams who play us when they regain possession they hit like lightning three passes and they are into our final third with bodies flooding the box.
We seem to have none of that, with the very odd exception like the 3 on 1 break last week v Motherwell when Davis took the wrong option.

If it’s far too slow, teams get back into shape.

We start games at walking pace and before we know it it’s half time

Its awful watching the opposition wasting time but how much time do we waste passing it along the back line. Its pointless possession and other teams dont care if we do it. What is the point?

Concerned too much with keeping possession, which maybe sounds a bit daft as ,if we have the ball then the opposition can't score.

We aren't creating enough chances as we are quite happy to get up the park,the opposition get their shape then we pass the ball back to the half way line and it all starts again

Goals win games...

Have a look at the top scorer charts, Aribo and Roofe have two each and they are our top scorers in the league after 7 games. That is utterly pathetic and grinding out 1-0 wins can't only take you so far before the inevitable dropped points.

Whole team is off at the moment but an chance we seem to create we aren't taking, its so infuriating.

Aribo and Lundstrum slow everything down to a crawl. I'm aware it's the goalscorer and Lundstrum probably MOTM as well, but I think it's very transparent when watching us currently. We're winning despite the set up. Won't last. It's not a criticism of either player either, it's the tactics and the set up. Kamara slow as well.

Definitely not pressing teams as well as we could.

When the ball is out wide we are too often dropping short for passes when we should be getting players in the box. (Hit the byeline and get crosses in which will at minimum result in more corners)

Can't really be too critical of the defence as overall we have a great record as well as injuries to contend with.

Patterson should be starting every wk. The lad is a star in the making ( only one over the summer to have a bid on him). But alas with tav as captain he ain’t going to get dropped. Missing that drive forward from Ryan Jack in middle too

Said it before our speed in transition is terrible. Lyon and good teams who play us when they regain possession they hit like lightning three passes and they are into our final third with bodies flooding the box.
We seem to have none of that, with the very odd exception like the 3 on 1 break last week v Motherwell when Davis took the wrong option.

Said it before our speed in transition is terrible.

This is what I've noticed too. Whenever we regain possession or hit on a break, we seem to be slow or take too many passes.

We aren’t quick enough

lost count amount of times it’s took us to get shots off in the box only to be blocked. Rarely making the keeper work

Morelos linked up well today first half and had a great assist for the goal but between him and Roofe, neither ever looked like scoring today.

We must be one of the slowest teams in Europe we simply have zero pace it reminds me of walking football for over 50s just now and it’s actually freaking me out because we are capable of so much more. I can’t get my head around it

Trying to play through the tightest spots on the field , woeful crossing , lack of out of box shots...

Just watched a rerun of our goal the build up and goal was fantastic,we moved the ball across the park with pace and precision,then for some reason we stopped playing with any pace going forward.

Correct. That is why we hear a lot of talk about breaking teams down. We need to do this because we're so slow at getting forward.

We pass the ball back too often, at some point we're going to lose a goal with a pass back.
Goldson must play more balls to our strikers than our midfield. we need our midfield to seriously up its game.

Back