Goldson - what’s going on with him?

Was always the worry when your main central defender doesn't commit to the club. His transfer situation has been handled very badly.

We should have had a replacement lined up if he didn't sign the contract but now we are left relying on a player who cannot be 100% fully committed to the cause.

Allowing him to run his contract down is on us.

Come January, we have to make him choose - sign or leave. If only to stop other players from getting the same idea. If Goldson is allowed to do it, what's to stop Alfie ? Or Kent ? Or Aribo ?

Or Kamara.....I would think the club know what they are doing but it is not easy to control if a player chooses to run down his contract.....this notion the club has total control is a nonsense.

We also don't know the detail here, GK as I pointed out took time to fix.

I think he’s been the poorest of our main three this season, he was fine over the past couple of games and brilliant against Livy.

Not sure if it’s a coincidence of his contract running down, or whether it is playing a part in his performances (I think it may be).

Not in the sense he’s intentionally playing poorly or anything. Today was poor, he’s the vice captain and a mentally strong bloke.

I’m sure he’ll pick it up.

Do we know if Katic has even played any games yet in Croatia ?
Don't even care if he has played in Croatia (I think he has, and performed well) it's how he played for us and he put it all on the line to get the points/win.

Right now, to me, he's no less of a bomb scare than Goldson has been so far this season.

He had a poor performance today. As did Tav. As did Roofe. As did Morelos. As did a few others. Nothing to do with his contract situation I'd suggest. In fact, last 2 or 3 games Goldson has looked much better than his early season form.
Add to that Aribo though he scored the goal from a wonderful flick from Morelos but he was getting caught to much and the midweek game he was honking I was surprised he kept his place.

Don't even care if he has played in Croatia (I think he has, and performed well) it's how he played for us and he put it all on the line to get the points/win.

Right now, to me, he's no less of a bomb scare than Goldson has been so far this season.
He’s played 12 minutes.

And yet the manager said Katic needs game after a terrible injury to get back to his level.....Goldson hasn't been a bomb scare, he had a nightmare today as did Tav and a few others.....

Or Kamara.....I would think the club know what they are doing but it is not easy to control if a player chooses to run down his contract.....this notion the club has total control is a nonsense.

No one said we had total control. But you at least play your hand accordingly.

What you don't do is make it clear that you are comfortable with him leaving on free rather than selling him for a lesser value. What else is Goldson going to do in that situation ? We've virtually told him we're comfortable with him leaving on a Bosman. In our financial situation, it's a bizarre decision.

Replacing him will be hard. Replacing him with no money for him will be harder.

The reality is he will know exactly where he is going in the summer. His agent wouldn’t be doing his job if he hadn’t sounded out potential suitors, and thus been able to advise CG if Rangers’ contract was the best on offer. No agent will advise their client just to sit tight and see what comes in in January. That just doesn’t happen.

Rumours from nowhere about West Ham. It may not be them but by this stage, the agent will have the contract in draft.

Gerrard’s lack of comment lends credence to this. It’s on him if he thinks he can continue to trust CG when he’s waiting on a life-changing contract.

Add to that Aribo though he scored the goal from a wonderful flick from Morelos but he was getting caught to much and the midweek game he was honking I was surprised he kept his place.
There's very few who can say they played well today. However, after any poor performance it's a chance for some folk to get on the cases of the players they've never taken to. Tav and Goldson will bear the brunt for today. On another day it will be Lundstram or someone else getting it. It was the latest in a run of poor performances and we need to sort it quickly. Does not auger well for Thursday as I don't see Sparta missing those sort of chances. There's a handful, or more, of our players need to rediscover their form. Rapidly.

Not following him, but I saw something on FB a couple of weeks ago, only 12mins is a bit of a bummer :(

I still think he should be home with us and Simpson loaned out :(
Easy to say with hindsight mate, their roles in the squad and potential mean they are different.

Simpson was signed to play the odd game, Niko has good potential and needed the game time after missing a year. He wasn’t going to get that here.

And yet the manager said Katic needs game after a terrible injury to get back to his level.....Goldson hasn't been a bomb scare, he had a nightmare today as did Tav and a few others.....
I don't think Goldson has looked comfortable at all this season, European and domestically :(

Is it his contract situ? I don't honestly know, but it has to be resolved sooner rather than later.

There's very few who can say they played well today. However, after any poor performance it's a chance for some folk to get on the cases of the players they've never taken to. Tav and Goldson will bear the brunt for today. On another day it will be Lundstram or someone else getting it. It was the latest in a run of poor performances and we need to sort it quickly. Does not auger well for Thursday as I don't see Sparta missing those sort of chances. There's a handful, or more, of our players need to rediscover their form. Rapidly.

Absolutely spot on, it's a recurring theme on FF.

In fact I'd wager that certain posters, OP included, have their threads typed up ready to hit send before the final whistle is even blown.

It's sad.

Nobody is willing to pay a transfer fee for a reason and he’s happy to run down and get a great signing on fee.

If it was up to me depending how things are in January or if he’s not sorted his game out he should be out the door for whatever we can get for him and it’s not a big loss depending how and where we are in the league.

No one said we had total control. But you at least play your hand accordingly.

What you don't do is make it clear that you are comfortable with him leaving on free rather than selling him for a lesser value. What else is Goldson going to do in that situation ? We've virtually told him we're comfortable with him leaving on a Bosman. In our financial situation, it's a bizarre decision.

Replacing him will be hard. Replacing him with no money for him will be harder.

Yes but we don't know the detail. I don't believe SG is going to endanger himself and the club by playing a player he believes is not committed.

Why so many punters think he would is beyond me.

he will be away, we should have planned ahead

hes been rank most of the season

tav has been even worse imo

In fact I'd wager that certain posters, OP included, have their threads typed up ready to hit send before the final whistle is even blown.

It's sad.
One of the downsides of FF. As you say, you can virtually guess the posters sometimes before you look.

I'd bring Katic back in Jan into LCB, Balogun into RCB.

Helander can fit either of those postions when fit.

My thoughts are Goldson wants back down south in the EPL and his recent performances and lack of signing a new contract are doing nothing to allay that suspicion.
Strange because who exactly wants a CD to play like that let alone in the EPL mate ?

Yes but we don't know the detail. I don't believe SG is going to endanger himself and the club by playing a player he believes is not committed.

Why so many punters think he would is beyond me.

I haven't said he's phoning it in. I said financially it makes no sense especially in our situation.

He’s not been the same player since the Slavia game for me - that interview he did when the Kudjela case was kicking off was brutal to see, he looked a million miles away describing the abuse that he and his teammates, family etc were (and regularly do receive). I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still struggling severely with the challenges that that whole period had for him.

Strange because who exactly wants a CD to play like that let alone in the EPL mate ?
Agreed, but after last seasons (for me) POTY, to be now so flakey, what reason can there be :/

Every time there's a ball over the top Goldson is giving me the literal fear right now, I didn't have that feeling last season.

We also don't know the detail here, GK as I pointed out took time to fix.
It has control in the sense of replacing him ahead of the contracts last 12 months and deselecting

I haven't said he's phoning it in. I said financially it makes no sense especially in our situation.
I'm not saying you are but we've seen for whatever reasons our players are not attracting offers.

We don't know he won't sign a contract but I'm guessing SG and the board will know where he is-IF we had got a decent offer in the summer in relative terms and it suited all parties then he'd be off.

Not sure what we could do. Unless of course takes his FF diploma in football and brings back Katic or heals Helander quicker or whatever other crackpot theories that are kicking about.....

It has control in the sense of replacing him ahead of the contracts last 12 months and deselecting

And do you not think our manager is capable of managing the best for the club?

It doesn't work like punters think it will £30M for Alfie £25M for Hagi etc.....or just get rid of.......why did Kamara's deal take so long by the way?

We simply don't know the detail.

It's sad.

Such a massive chip on tiny shoulders

Goldson doesn’t deal well with strikers who have pace and good movement IMO. Gets caught positionally. Why I think he will get a big shock if he thinks he’s walking into a EPL side.

He wasn’t the only player that was stinking today.

Tavernier, Kamara, Roofe, Morelos.
Got to agree with that, dreadful stuff. We should thank our lucky stars The we are in the position we are league wise because we have been dreadful in all honesty.
As for Goldson’s contract... I was told that he is off to West Ham at the end of the season. Don’t @ me, just passing on what I was told. The same guy told me about Lundstrum signing weeks before it happened.

Was always the worry when your main central defender doesn't commit to the club. His transfer situation has been handled very badly.

We should have had a replacement lined up if he didn't sign the contract but now we are left relying on a player who cannot be 100% fully committed to the cause.
Longer the season goes the less likely he is to throw himself in to a tackle and risk missing his next move.

Goldson was woeful today, but let's remember all the keep the faith and Rangers til I die posts, every player has a bad day at the office or a poor run Goldson has the character and the ability to weather this wee bit of turbulence.
The entire squad are under-performing, thankfully we're still grinding out the results, the confidence and flair will return, watch this space.

I think he’s been the poorest of our main three this season, he was fine over the past couple of games and brilliant against Livy.

Not sure if it’s a coincidence of his contract running down, or whether it is playing a part in his performances (I think it may be).

Not in the sense he’s intentionally playing poorly or anything. Today was poor, he’s the vice captain and a mentally strong bloke.

Agreed, mate.

He'll be lucky to get a new contract from us OR a new club in his current performances. He's been so poor.

I was very critical of both him and Tav the two seasons before 55 for their form collapsing after Xmas. So much so I wanted them gone as I didn't think they had enough of a winning mentality.

They both proved me wrong last season, and although I expect Tav to come good again I'm not keen on the idea of our vice Captain being uncommitted to the club.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong once again.

He was really poor today, but just 3 days ago there was a thread praising how great he was v Livingston.

In Follow Follow Land, you're only ever as good as your last game.

For certain, he is miles short of last season's amazing consistency. But he's not Bert Konterman reincarnated either.

He was really poor today, but just 3 days ago there was a thread praising how great he was v Livingston.

In Follow Follow Land, you're only ever as good as your last game.

For certain, he is miles short of last season's amazing consistency. But he's not Bert Konterman reincarnated either.
Wise-words from yourself, as per.

Tav was terrible today, and his mistakes caused Goldson the problems. Too many mistakes, too many poor passes, Tav has to be dropped.
Tav didn't have a good game. Neither did Goldson. How about holding them to account for their own performances instead of making excuses for them?

Goldson was utterly shit, and that is on nobody else but himself.

I think the supporters being in is having far more of an impact than any notion of him running a deal down.

Seeing a lot of Hamilton at home prior to lockdown type performance, jittery moments where you can see he’s indecisive.

Him and Tav on that side are giving up so many chances to the opposition.

See if having fans in ground is impacting his decision making, then frankly he can %^*& off anytime he likes, with thanks for last season. A player who isn't mentally able to concentrate with fans in attendance is of zero use to us.

Heid in the premiership, like with a couple of others, so much for loyalty. We the supporters are the only thing that's loyal about our football club.

Back