"our problems"

It’s possible for two things to be true at the same time.

It’s possible for us to be comfortably top of the league despite not playing anywhere near our best.

It’s also possible to have worries about the standard of our performances.

You don’t have to be a “happy clapper” pretending that everything is going well and you don’t have to be all doom and gloom pretending everything is shocking.

It’s possible to criticise current performances whilst also viewing them in a wider context and not going overboard.

We might be top of the league but you’re kidding yourself on if you think all is well.

We will drop plenty of points if we continue playing like we are.
The real problems will start if we stop creating chances on an ongoing basis.

There are a number of small problems all of which are stopping us achieving fluidity in games.

Players just short of form
Players just short of full fitness
Players adapting to our style of play

It’s not like we need a new team and the above will resolve themselves in time. We’re a little unfortunate it’s coming at once but a little fortunate we’ve not been punished more in games.

Overall, domestically, it’s ok and going to get better

7 points as it stands clear of them, report back when there's a real problem.
We’ve been shite all season bar about 180 minutes, we are only one point clear at the top and are only seven point clear by virtue of them being absolutely shite.

Anyone thinking there isn’t problems within our squad are in denial.

Delighted with three points away from home yesterday but let’s get real.

Hope we can conjure something up from somewhere for Thursday because we don’t look close to hitting form.

I can see both sides of the argument here. Ultimately we’re in a healthy position, but Dundee had a ridiculous number of chances, and a better team would have scudded us today.

There’s only so much longer we can get away with playing so poorly and still winning, as the better teams in the league will punish us.

Hopefully we can continue to ride out luck whilst figuring out how to return to the levels we know this team are capable of, but we can’t have too many more “get of jail free” cards to use.

I wouldn’t say problems but there are concerns.

The defending again yesterday was poor. A better side would have punished those errors at the back.

Too many players off form.

The transition from middle to front is too slow, ponderous and predictable. Rarely do we up the tempo, there is a real lack of urgency, penetration and movement. Play in the final third is frustrating.

Only so long you get away with lethargic performances - we’ve already been punished this season and it’s not a matter of just flicking a switch and it’s all falls into place.

We’ve got a tough run coming up.

People have been saying “we’ll come good and hit form” for well over a month now.

Only thing is, we’re still waiting.

It’s definitely a concern. Form isn’t turned on instantly. It’s built over a number of games. We’ve played 14 competitive games this season already and there isn’t even a hint of a decent performance at the level we can produce. Sure, the results are somewhat ok domestically but our luck could soon run out.

We’ve got some tougher games coming up now which will require an improvement.

One or two off form you can get away with but to have so many off at the same time is a bit of a worry. We can only hope that they click at some point and get back to full tilt, for whatever reason it`s just not happened this season but it needs to happen soon or the school boy errors will be punished.

There are a number of small problems all of which are stopping us achieving fluidity in games.

Players just short of form
Players just short of full fitness
Players adapting to our style of play

It’s not like we need a new team and the above will resolve themselves in time. We’re a little unfortunate it’s coming at once but a little fortunate we’ve not been punished more in games.

Overall, domestically, it’s ok and going to get better
Its not just short of form. That midfield has a complete lack of urgency. Where is that going to come from? It's far too static. Kamara as great as he has been seems to have forgotten how to run. Aribo, despite the goal is not direct enough and looks lazy. Morelos may aswell be playing in midfield, where is the Morelos that used to barge through brick walls? Tavernier was all over the shop yesterday and Goldson doesn't seem to concentrate. Trips to Easter Road, Tynecastle and the Piggery will tell us a lot. Hopefully we will get going soon.

You can’t just go full ostrich- keep playing like this and we will drop silly points, which will give the vhermin hope.
Games like yesterday are the ones that suck hope out of you. The vermin would have been pig sick watching that on their illegal feeds, we play pish and save a penalty and stroll away with 3 points.

Taking care of business B-)

Arguably domestically I believe that next Sunday at home to the spoonburners will be our hardest game of the season. That mob always up their game against us, and their middle to front are good and our defence hasn’t been up to its usual high standards. A massive game…let’s go!!!

It needs to be addressed or we are going to get a doing off someone. We were lucky it was Dundee yesterday, and even then they might have got at least a point. I'm not sure if that penalty had gone in that we'd have scored a second, and you can only wonder what it might have done for them. This isn't just a wee dip in form. We've been poor or at best average in just about every game so far, bar the scum, Dunfermline and Ross County. We're almost in October so it's not down to players being rusty after no break with the Euros or the like. It's not a crisis obviously but it is concerning.

We have 2 games coming up at home v Hearts and Hibernian. These are games I'm looking to for us to hit a stride in, they won't sit back as much as Motherwell and we'll get space.

Its been proven we can rise to the occasion when required and better teams bring the best out of us. We have got through a sticky patch not playing well and sit top of the lot, let's see if we can kick on instead of being doom and gloom.

I think what our current performances show is there’s a need to freshen things up and start to sell some players and use the money to reinvest in first team players .
1. We can’t get new players in until January
And
2. It never ends well for teams that make wholesale changes to their team mid season

We go with what we have

It needs to be addressed or we are going to get a doing off someone. We were lucky it was Dundee yesterday, and even then they might have got at least a point. I'm not sure if that penalty had gone in that we'd have scored a second, and you can only wonder what it might have done for them. This isn't just a wee dip in form. We've been poor or at best average in just about every game so far, bar the scum, Dunfermline and Ross County. We're almost in October so it's not down to players being rusty after no break with the Euros or the like. It's not a crisis obviously but it is concerning.
The penalty never went in though cos our goalie saved it. They never got a lift from it because we saved it. We scored a goal, they didnae.

People happy to play the if and buts card instead of looking at what actually happened. We were not lucky to win yesterday, we won because we have better players who whilst way below par can produce brilliance like the play for the goal. And because our goalie is good, and because Dundee players are not as good and couldn't conjure up anything of note.

We have 2 games coming up at home v Hearts and Hibernian. These are games I'm looking to for us to hit a stride in, they won't sit back as much as Motherwell and we'll get space.

Its been proven we can rise to the occasion when required and better teams bring the best out of us. We have got through a sticky patch not playing well and sit top of the lot, let's see if we can kick on instead of being doom and gloom.
What you talking sense for mate.

The penalty never went in though cos our goalie saved it. They never got a loft from it because we saved it. We scored a goal, they didnae.

People happy to play the if and buts card instead of looking at what actually happened. We were not lucky to win yesterday, we won because we have better players who whilst way below par can produce brilliance like the play for the goal. And because our goalie is good, and because Dundee players are not as good and couldn't conjure up anything of note.

Of course that all happened. If this was a one-off game I'd agree with you completely. But it's been week after week from day one, bar the matches I mentioned in my post. If you want to ignore the fact we've gone right off the boil and are more vulnerable than we've been for some time so be it. But at the moment we are in the kind of form we were in post Dubai in 2019 and 2020 and sooner or later, if it's not addressed, we are going to get a sore one.

Of course that all happened. If this was a one-off game I'd agree with you completely. But it's been week after week from day one, bar the matches I mentioned in my post. If you want to ignore the fact we've gone right off the boil and are more vulnerable than we've been for some time so be it. But at the moment we are in the kind of form we were in post Dubai in 2019 and 2020 and sooner or later, if it's not addressed, we are going to get a sore one.

No, we aren’t.

That’s a staggering post lol

Hahaha %^*& me

That’s a staggering post lol

It's fine being happy now the game is over and we've won. I bet you weren't happy before the final whistle went though. All I'm saying is the team is not playing well. I'm not calling for this player or that player to be dropped or worse but the continuing poor form is concerning.

It's fine being happy now the game is over and we've won. I bet you weren't happy before the final whistle went though. All I'm saying is the team is not playing well. I'm not calling for this player or that player to be dropped or worse but the continuing poor form is concerning.
It wasn’t all you were saying you said we are in the kind of form post Dubai

Our “form” is actually perfectly fine and would see us win the league it’s not close to poor

We’re grinding out wins but the panic merchants in the support would have you believe we’re languishing mid table.
It's not panic, it's a grim reality.
That side is badly in need of freshening up in every department.
Tav and Goldson are miles off it.
Our midfield are creating virtually nothing, while our front three are not impacting games as they should.
We're papering over huge cracks and sooner rather than later that will come home to roost.

It's an accurate picture of where we are at the moment.
I'm staggered that you find it staggering, well I'm not really.
Well it’s really not, that’d you’d think our form now is the same as it was post Dubai 19/20 is, well, you know where this is going…wei…

It wasn’t all you were saying you said we are in the kind of form post Dubai

Our “form” is actually perfectly fine and would see us win the league it’s not close to poor

By "form" I meant the general play, and at the moment it's not good. Thankfully we have won the games we haven't played well in (mostly) but it concerns me it is going on too long. We need a good win over someone, a few goals and clean sheets against decent opponents and then maybe we will take off. That's what I'm saying.

By "form" I meant the general play, and at the moment it's not good. Thankfully we have won the games we haven't played well in (mostly) but it concerns me it is going on too long. We need a good win over someone, a few goals and clean sheets against decent opponents and then maybe we will take off. That's what I'm saying.
So you mean performance, because the points being collected differ from where your trajectory of the season is.

good win - we beat Celtic
Clean sheets - we did that against Celtic

“take off” is just a bit, I mean I don’t know where to go with that.

Hibs next Sunday will be a proper test.

Regardless of result in Prague I think the effort, desire and performance will go a long way to telling us where the team stand.

Europe this year seems more of a chore than a buzz this year. Even for the players.

If we’d played to half our capabilities we would be 12 ahead and have them under real pressure and be on way to bank champions league money next year

I'm happy we're top with a decent lead.

But 2 things can be true at the same time - we're also allowed to be concerned over our performances.

Because if they don't improve, we'll get turned over in Europe and eventually lose some away league games.
One point?

We aren't "grinding out" wins yesterday wasn't a defensive masterclass or being tough to beat we were very lucky yesterday and I'm assuming the people calling other people panic merchants have forgotten about the game at home to Motherwell last weekend

I think most people have concerns that we just aren't playing very well and are of course happy we are top of the League you are allowed to separate these things you know and not just start a thread being condescending to other people

Its quite clear this season is going to be a slog and we'll just need to get used to it

Last edited:
Our form with regards to league results is decent
Our form with regards to league performances is poor
These two things are separate things although connected as if we don't pick up on performances our results will eventually suffer as we can't continue gifting chances & failing to create / taking chances
What is it that is wrong?
For me it's all about the tempo we play at as when reduced the tempo we are simply not the same team & why this isn't being addressed from the management during games I simply don't understand
We for whatever reason seem prepared to try n going out result after result watching the same sort of performance.
For all that Gerrard was a positive player he seems to overly negative at times which gives opposition a sniff of what might be.
Look at kick off yesterday their player ran at us from kick off & nearly got to the edge if our area before eventually losing the ball. Might be a small thing but for me it is an example of our mentality with people so far off the pace in their mindset that it's no wonder our tempo has dropped & as a result our style of play has been badly impacted
Thus needs to change you don't change things like this without players being brave

Back