How important is being entertained ?

Don't think many of our wins this season have been secure tbh.
If it's a win then surely the 3 points are secured. That is unless the SPFL try to handicap us in some shape or form. As recent sh1t from the SPFL shows, wouldn't put anything by these bassas. The "lost" emails from Dundee. The curtailing of the league and subsequent handing of title to Septic.

Should fans not expect a team with all the advantages over their competition to at least look a level or two above the opposition? I get that you can’t win well every game but week to week we play the exact same way and every week is a slog .
I think that we are clearly a level or two above the opposition if we're winning and apparently by our own expectations not playing well. Expecting great performances every week is unrealistic to the point of stupidity. We're still top of the league, we're still in Europe and from where we were a few years ago, this is genuinely quite remarkable when you look at the gap they had over us at the time. Now we've closed the gap, we're upset that we aren't competing in the Champions League and that we aren't playing scintillating football and scoring 3 or 4 every week. Like I said, I think it's just unrealistic levels of expectations that are only going to lead to people being disappointed at best and angry at worst.

We are currently playing games in the league, League Cup and Europe. We also have players taking part in WC qualifiers across the globe.

The manager is not picking his best eleven on a week to week basis but using the squad depth to win games while trying to protect his best players.

at present winning is all that matters, with style will return!

I was at the Motherwell game and their goalie could have sat in the stand for most of the game as we barely forced him into a save. He won’t have an easier game all season.
That’s as maybe but, Tavernier, Roofe and Sakala all had shots in the first half.
Roofe missed a sitter in the second and there was a break when we were 3 on 2 and Davis delayed then over hit his pass.
Tavernier also came fairly close with a looping shot the the keeper woke up quickly to save and Tavernier also hit the bar from a free kick move.
Apart from that?

This year, the only thing that matters to me is winning this league. Don’t care how we do it, just get us into the champions league, cash in on some players and fresh the squad up with new talent.
Why do people start off saying all that matters is winning the league with 'this year'.

It's all that matters every year. If we win the league this year would you accept not winning it the following one if it meant we played more entertaining football?

I watch Rangers because them winning things, gives me a high that I can't quite put into words. So I'm more of a results man first and foremost. I enjoy it when we are playing well, but with what we face on a weekly basis, it's not a good environment or set of circumstances for attacking football to flourish. So I don't get hung up on the style of football too much. Very much in the camp of some weekends we'll thrash teams and others we'll have to gut out results for ourselves. I'm okay with that, so long as we win.

If I want to be entertained by football then I watch a better standard of league tbh.

Very important, People pay to be entertained. For people like us who are fans it’s about the result but for neutrals and the next generation it is very important for the product to be entertaining.
There are far more ways to spend your money and time than watching a poor product.

Couldn't care less. Go the theatre if you want entertained. Football is about waving shiny things above your head in the spring.

A three each draw is entertaining but it's no good to Rangers.

I was well entertained up at Dens today. I would have loved us to kill off the opposition but it wasn't to be.

Scottish Football is not what you would class as a form of entertainment . Though it has been known to rise to the surface occasionally . If we went to the games on the basis of entertainment we would all stop going .

I saw about half an hour of PSG v Lyon and the football was unbelievable. Totally entertaining. A joy to watch.

I’ve been thinking about this recently… it’s such a mixed bag.

I once read a quote about how football was mostly disappointment, peppered by moments that excite and entertain. It’s very true - anyone who has played the game at any level understand that half the time to are making up for mistakes of your own or your teammates.

My teenage and into 20s years were spent watching Rangers win NAIR and that entire run was built on solid 1-0/2-0 victories with a few 4 or 5 goal scuddings of opponents, and a few tight victories in games against big rivals that gave us all some great times.

Looking back, I’m not sure that I went to Ibrox to be entertained every other week - I definitely went to see a Rangers win but entertainment was a bit of a nice to have over the points.
The game, the salaries for players and the whole presentation of football as an entertainment option has changed over 30-odd year though and given the talent in this squad, and the expensive spectacle that football is nowadays then I think we are entitled to demand a bit more.

As my username suggests, I value the mechanics of a successful team, the effort of working hard for the victory.. Nigel Spackman was the kid of player that NIAR was built on - he worked his nuts off to give the more talented guys their moment to entertain.
I enjoy that in football but it has to lead to some entertainment. Earn the right to play football and all that.

In the current team, I see the balance - we have workers and performers.. but something isn’t clicking.
Personal view is that this must be Hagi’s season to push forward and become a major player for us. A few minutes on the park the other night and Rangers had scored.. that’s the impact the lad has and that’s why I would want to see him as a major player this season and one to bring the entertainment on a regular basis.

The larger point is that they just moan whatever the circumstances are and shift the goalposts to continue being miserable despite what happens. It baffles me they pay hundreds if not thousands of pounds for the privilege. I genuinely think there's an issue around enjoyment of the sport and the expectations outweighing the reality of it at the very least.
It's not just at rangers mate. Charlton are one club I'll use as an example.

Under curbishley they were a settled epl side, just missing out on europe a couple of times, then their supporters started getting ideas above their station. Managed to get curbishley pushed out and as I said to a couple of them I knew, be careful what you wish for. Well they went down and haven't been back since.

Liverpool created fine entertainment tonight, i think their fans would have preferred a turgid victory.

I watch football for entertainment and competitiveness.

I watch Rangers to win.

I’ve always said that Rangers fans are at our happiest when we play poorly and win 1-0 because it allows us to moan like %^*& without (which makes us happy) without dropping points.

If you play shit every game and still win that becomes entertaining in its own right. Its still consistency ultimately. We don't have that.

I think this season, it’s going to be a case of winning the league through being the least worst.

it isn’t exclusive to Scottish football. It’s the aftermath of Covid’s impact. Look at the championship, most of the squads look pretty poor and you’ve got a side in 7th with 13 points from 9 games - that doesn’t even seem mathematically possible.

Nobody gives 2 flying fucks about being entertained. We are half the team we were last season and we got bullied about that park today. It will catch up with us, that’s a fact. We’re relying on the tims being shite.

Look at the championship, most of the squads look pretty poor and you’ve got a side in 7th with 13 points from 9 games - that doesn’t even seem mathematically possible.
Went and looked that up as seemed unbelievable

Last edited:
While it’s great that we are at the top of the league, I was wondering how important it is for people to be entertained?
Ultimately winning is the most important thing but I’ll admit that I haven’t actually enjoyed watching us for quite a long time. For the amount of possession we have we really don’t create many chances in games and for long periods of games we look like a mid table team. Am I expecting too much to want entertained while winning aswell when we have a budget that dwarfs everybody in the league other than the Tims
Were you entertained when Walter parked the bus against Barcelona and Man UTD,Anti football was the cry

At the end of the season, if the league trophy is staying put and we're adding one or two of the other cups, nobody is going give a shit about how dull it is at the moment.

What we did yesterday was manage the game; we secured the win by keeping as much possession as possible. Had we gone full tilt to score as many goals as possible Dundee may have found more openings, and wenmay have even lost the game. Some fans are being too critical, when the all important win was achieved.

Were you entertained when Walter parked the bus against Barcelona and Man UTD,Anti football was the cry
Yes, I was entertained by those games, especially when Cousin nearly won us the match against Barcelona, near the end. "Anti football" was really a compliment given by an opponent who got nothing from the game, but what it did was create a myth around Walter's style of play.

During our 9 in a row years we still struggled to win some games and entertain with a team littered with top internationals. Defensive set ups still required a Gazza or a Laudrup to make the difference at times. Creativity and the ability to break teams down is the difference between feeling entertained or feeling that you're not good enough. We haven't got an individual capable of consistently creating opportunities so it becomes a slog hoping that someone gets there eventually. We're still a decent team as we're sitting pretty right now and we still have the potential within the squad to be better. Optimism would help a few fans.

totally different. We were playing teams levels above us in cup competition and it was the only realistic way of getting a result. This year domestically it hasn’t been good enough

Yes, I was entertained by those games, especially when Cousin nearly won us the match against Barcelona, near the end. "Anti football" was really a compliment given by an opponent who got nothing from the game, but what it did was create a myth around Walter's style of play.
I love nothing more than getting a result against an opponent who if you played another 10 times would win every time. I admire teams who can get themselves a result against a better team as it's a very difficult thing to achieve. We complain when teams park the bus but it's a compliment as the focus for them has to be tactics which give you a chance of getting something from the game. If you're good enough you'll win, this has always been the case. Messi and Barca just never had enough about them to beat us. They have to be better to win, it's simple.

totally different. We were playing teams levels above us in cup competition and it was the only realistic way of getting a result. This year domestically it hasn’t been good enough
So you're telling me that Dundee are the same level as us, it's survival at any cost

Winning entertains me.

That’s the important part, playing well is a bonus - so long as we have the shiny things come May.
If we continue this current form it will definitely only be one shiny thing come May, which is the bare minimum.

I love nothing more than getting a result against an opponent who if you played another 10 times would win every time. I admire teams who can get themselves a result against a better team as it's a very difficult thing to achieve. We complain when teams park the bus but it's a compliment as the focus for them has to be tactics which give you a chance of getting something from the game. If you're good enough you'll win, this has always been the case. Messi and Barca just never had enough about them to beat us. They have to be better to win, it's simple.
And Walter was a realist in those games. Messi's comment disappointed me, because the defending part was a skill, and Walter was one of the finest tacticians around; he deserved better plaudits after those games. The suggestion that we played like that all the time was allowed as a means to define much of his style, and it just wasn't true; the 1996 SC Cup Final is a case in point, and there other numerous games to prove it wasn't as well.

So you're telling me that Dundee are the same level as us, it's survival at any cost

Domestically we shouldn’t be scrapping through every game. The odd game maybe but it’s not good enough and the coaching staff don’t seem to be doing anything to really change it.

Domestically we shouldn’t be scrapping through every game. The odd game maybe but it’s not good enough and the coaching staff don’t seem to be doing anything to really change it.
We've had selection issues, no small thing. Getting a result to build confidence, especially in a very crucial season, for the club as whole, is a very wise move.

No matter what the team is, it's very hard to play against ten men behind the ball personally I hate it but it's the way other teams use to survive, maybe small teams could give the opposition more tickets and boost thier finances

What’s your solution? Change of manager

I think we’re naturally coming to the end of Gerrard as manager. I think the only thing keeping him here now is the potential of champions league next year . I think he will be away at the end of next season no matter what.

my personally solution would be getting rid of 4-3-3 as I think the predictable nature of our play is making it easier for opposition. I’d make Hagi a proper 10

I think we’re naturally coming to the end of Gerrard as manager. I think the only thing keeping him here now is the potential of champions league next year . I think he will be away at the end of next season no matter what.

my personally solution would be getting rid of 4-3-3 as I think the predictable nature of our play is making it easier for opposition. I’d make Hagi a proper 10
Sorry for this one bud but I reckon Gerrard and Beale know a hell of a lot more about tactics than you, Beale has shown a hell of a lot how good he can tactically set up a team on a football pitch for Rangers, would expect most will be inclined to back him and the coaching team than live in a world of “if we just played this way instead”

I think different seasons carry different nuances. I currently really miss some of the performances where we dispatched teams with entertaining ease last season, a season we entered into under the most pressure any Rangers side has likely encountered.

However, for me this season is about two things:

Firstly, direct entry to the CL and a likely bounty of around £30M.

Secondly, I strongly suspect this will be Gerrard’s last season with us.

For both those reasons, win at all costs. Entertainment is a distant third.

That all said, results are usually driven by performance, and performance and entertainment often go hand-in-hand. So far very few of our performances this season have been of the level we’re capable of. And when it is down to the whole team underperforming then the alarm bells will start to ring at some stage.

Back