Where is Stephen Kelly

greggakd

He seems to have dropped away from the first team squad last few weeks? Is it just a case of having plenty of options in the same position or is there something else? I’d like to see him getting more game time as he has looked good any time he’s gotten on the park.

I genuinely don't think a loan move to a championship team would do him any good. He'll be learning a lot more training with the likes of Davis, Kamara and Lundstrum than playing against shite like Dumbarton or Partick Thistle.

I think we've treated him badly here. Had a good pre-season and was probably denied going on loan with the promise of a chance of first team action. The range of options in midfield now is such that he's unlikely to get that opportunity. An SPFL loan would probably have been pointless - he's done that - but maybe a stint down South would have been beneficial.

I think he deserved a chance. I think Gerrard saw him as back-up to Davis with Lundstram taking Jack's position. However, Lundstram had such a calamitous start that I think Gerrard gave him a run-out in the Davis role as he saw it as carrying less pressure to create further forward. That's scuppered Kelly's chances. Although I still think that, ultimately, we will see Lundstarm on the right rather than in Davis role.

He isn't as good as Kamara, Davis, Lundstram or Aribo. Nor Arfield.

Therefore he can't get in the team as it would be folly to deliberately weaken the team at this time. The fact it's Davis ahead of him for his position is the biggest factor.

He just needs to get the head down in training and keep learning until he is seen as a better option that those ahead of him. Bassey has shown him the way.

If they are not going to play him then he should have been sent out on loan imo , for the good of his career he needs to play

He's already had his loan.

I think he is destined to take over from Davis next season. A year learning from him and Gerrard whilst getting some minutes in the first team seems to be the current plan.

Just don’t really get the fascination with Kelly.

He’s got Kamara, Davis and Lundstram ahead of him in the queue unfortunately and I’ve not seen anything to suggest he’s a better option than any of those.

I get the desire to see him go out on loan and develop but I think we need to put the club’s interests first. The rules for Euro competitions and home based players are obscene so we need to keep him around for that and also with Jack still working his way back to fitness.

I don’t think it’s a complicated situation. There’s a few players ahead of him but we selfishly need to keep him around for a bit of depth. That might change in January if Jack is fit and healthy.

Just don’t really get the fascination with Kelly.

He’s got Kamara, Davis and Lundstram ahead of him in the queue unfortunately and I’ve not seen anything to suggest he’s a better option than any of those.

I get the desire to see him go out on loan and develop but I think we need to put the club’s interests first. The rules for Euro competitions and home based players are obscene so we need to keep him around for that and also with Jack still working his way back to fitness.

I don’t think it’s a complicated situation. There’s a few players ahead of him but we selfishly need to keep him around for a bit of depth. That might change in January if Jack is fit and healthy.
Kelly doesn’t really matter for HGQ as he’s on the B list, next year would be different though.

I genuinely don't think a loan move to a championship team would do him any good. He'll be learning a lot more training with the likes of Davis, Kamara and Lundstrum than playing against shite like Dumbarton or Partick Thistle.

You don’t learn more in training than you do from playing.

A player needs first team football to develop. There is no substitute for that.

I know it’s tough with Covid and also our youngsters having their own games but we could be doing with reserve/bounce games more often to get players minutes and also ease players back after injury

Yep. No chance Kelly will be given game time barring an injury crisis.
And there’s plenty opportunities for an injury crisis with covid on the go. Nobody knows what it’s going to be like through the winter so the more players we have around the better.

He’s earned a place in the squad. Now he has to earn minutes by being better than Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Lundstram etc.

I think Gerrard is a bit Walter- appearances aren’t handed out for the sake of it. He has said in the past that the team decide when a young player gets in- because they show they trust him in training. Maybe Kelly hasn’t yet convinced the other players in the way that Patterson did

He’s earned a place in the squad. Now he has to earn minutes by being better than Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Lundstram etc.

I think Gerrard is a bit Walter- appearances aren’t handed out for the sake of it. He has said in the past that the team decide when a young player gets in- because they show they trust him in training. Maybe Kelly hasn’t yet convinced the other players in the way that Patterson did

Patterson didn’t get a run in the team until Tav was injured. And, even then, the manager tried Balogun at RB first against Antwerp.

Yeah. Not so great for Stephen Kelly, though.
He’s a Rangers player and we need him for the good of the club. That’s what comes with being a youngster breaking through and it’s up to him to be ready when needed to show he deserves a more regular spot going forward. It’s all experience.

You just knew he disappear as soon as everyone was fit and available.

Don't know why he wasn't put out on loan that was the best option for him.

He’s a Rangers player and we need him for the good of the club. That’s what comes with being a youngster breaking through and it’s up to him to be ready when needed to show he deserves a more regular spot going forward. It’s all experience.

He‘s coming up for 22. When does he stop being a “youngster”?

Ian Durrant had four years of first team football at that age. No one gets better watching games.

Ian Durrant had four years of first team football at that age. No one gets better watching games.

He isn't a youngster but he isn't as good as the other players in his position. Durrant, on the other hand, absolutely was.

Who does he play ahead of right now?

He should be getting game time we are playing too many defensive midfielders especially at Ibrox. We lack creative player's and goal scoring midfielder. He couldn't play any worse than our current midfield players The boy must be pissed off with his lack of opportunities this season.

He should be getting game time we are playing too many defensive midfielders especially at Ibrox. We lack creative player's and goal scoring midfielder. He couldn't play any worse than our current midfield players The boy must be pissed off with his lack of opportunities this season.

He is a defensive midfielder.

He isn't a youngster but he isn't as good as the other players in his position. Durrant, on the other hand, absolutely was.

Who does he play ahead of right now?

That‘s the manager‘s job to develop the player. Are you saying that there has been absolutely no opportunity, at any time this season, to give the player minutes?

He had a good season in the top flight last year, so not sure where the presumption he'd have been loaned to the Championship comes from.

He was doomed the moment Gerrard praised his pre-season. Any of our own youngsters who Gerrard singles out for praise are rarely seen or heard from again.

Working everyday with Davis, Kamara, Gerrard and Gary Mac surely much more valuable than playing in a struggling premiership side that have no concept of playing proper football.

He had a good season in the top flight last year, so not sure where the presumption he'd have been loaned to the Championship comes from.

He was doomed the moment Gerrard praised his pre-season. Any of our own youngsters who Gerrard singles out for praise are rarely seen or heard from again.

Gerrard first praised him in 2018. He’ll be our most promising player of 2025 at this rate.

Feel for him and McCrorie stuck in a bit of limbo land. Suspect the club are just trying to cover themselves due to the covid situation and don’t want to leave us too exposed, see Alashkert & Celtic game for example.

Not sure what the rules are, I take it if we were to loan them out we could only recall in January. Either that or clubs not willing to take a loan that could be called back at any time.

And yet he came on at HT to replace the struggling Balogun. Go figure.

Clutching here mate.

Patterson was suspended by the club for the first leg. Balogun came on at short notice for an injured Tav and did well as we won away from home.

Balogun rightly kept his place over a Patterson in the doghouse a week later. Gerrard then gave him a huge chance at half time in that game when it would have been easy to be stubborn given his misconduct. Patterson grabbed his chance. If anything, the Antwerp game should be used to praise Gerrard for his faith in Patterson.

And yet he came on at HT to replace the struggling Balogun. Go figure.
That was the second leg, Balogun was a
MOTM candidate at right back in the first leg but definitely had a howler the second.

Not unreasonable that he kept his place for that match IMO.

Clutching here mate.

Patterson was suspended by the club for the first leg. Balogun came on at short notice for an injured Tav and did well as we won away from home.

Balogun rightly kept his place over a Patterson in the doghouse a week later. Gerrard then gave him a huge chance at half time in that game when it would have been easy to be stubborn given his misconduct. Patterson grabbed his chance. If anything, the Antwerp game should be used to praise Gerrard for his faith in Patterson.

Not clutching at all. He picked Balogun ahead of Patterson and only brought him on because he had no choice. I don’t know what you’re arguing with over this.

He's already had his loan.

I think he is destined to take over from Davis next season. A year learning from him and Gerrard whilst getting some minutes in the first team seems to be the current plan.
I can’t see it .lundstrum I think was brought on a the successor to SD. Kelly has good players ahead of him and we are not great at bringing young players into the team if I’m honest. I think he will go out on loan in January again

That‘s the manager‘s job to develop the player. Are you saying that there has been absolutely no opportunity, at any time this season, to give the player minutes?

You answer my question and then I will answer yours.

I will ask again, who does Kelly play ahead of in our team right now?

In answer to your question, my opinion is that Kelly could have been given a start against Dunfermline.

The manager sees him in training every day. Maybe others deserved a start more.

That was the second leg, Balogun was a
MOTM candidate at right back in the first leg but definitely had a howler the second.

Not unreasonable that he kept his place for that match IMO.

Quite. And if Balogun hadn‘t had a “howler”, and Patterson hadn’t came on and scored with his first touch, would we have seen Patterson at all? We’d be reading people on here saying he needs to wait for his chance.

Nobody learns the game in the gym or playing 5’s.

Not clutching at all. He picked Balogun ahead of Patterson and only brought him on because he had no choice. I don’t know what you’re arguing with over this.

And rightly so given the performance the week before from Balogun in Belgium and Patterson having been suspended.

You are absolutely clutching at straws because you had forgotten Patterson was actually suspended by the club at the Antwerp game.

Ask George Edmundson and Jordan Jones how much of a second chance they feel Patterson got at half time in the home leg. Huge faith shown in him by Gerrard.

We’re not just going to play somebody because he doesn’t meet the definition of a youngster and we’re not just going to punt somebody that can help the team because he doesn’t meet the definition of youngster. We need a big squad due to covid so we’d have to pay somebody we don’t know to come in and fill that space. It seems sensible to use people we already have and know.

You answer my question and then I will answer yours.

I will ask again, who does Kelly play ahead of in our team right now?

In answer to your question, my opinion is that Kelly could have been given a start against Dunfermline.

The manager sees him in training every day. Maybe others deserved a start more.

Any number of the midfield could have been dropped at any point and any number of substitutions could have been made. The key is to introduce the player to first team football and build up their experience. That’s the manager’s job. You don’t sit them in the stand and tell the media they’ve got a great future. You can’t just play lip service to youth development. You have to actually do it. Waiting for a fully developed Steven Davis to come out of the youths isn‘t going to happen. You need to work at it. Players do not improve watching other people train. It doesn’t happen. Kelly is nearly 22 and has barely kicked a ball for Rangers despite the manager praising him. It’s a nonsense.

Back