Could HIbs or Hearts challenge for the title this season. ?

I am confident we can win the league this year.
Celtic will be 2nd and I expected the Edinburgh teams to be a further 25 points behind them.

It would be mental though, to see Hibs or Hearts in the CL Group section. lol

£ 30 million spending money could see players they'd never dreamt of playing for either of those clubs.

Their problem is £20-30m they still don’t have the operational income to pay wages for the better players they could sign.

Hearts are looking better than Hibs if you ask me (albeit only seen a few games)

The challenge is consistency over a whole season, injuries. I think they could both finish above them

The best answer to this came from Dick Advocaat at a time round about this time of year and Hibs had started well.

On Radio Scotland Chick Young put this same question to Dick who literally burst out laughing. "No...no."
How much £££ did we spend in the Advocaat era?

If we and the tims stay so out of form then maybe.

Can't see it though.

I do think both of them should be thinking that 2nd is achievable, should the tims stick with Ange.

Hibs especially.

I reckon Hearts will fade as the season goes on but Hibs should have their eyes on 2nd. They just need to find the consistency they were missing last season (starting from 16th October).

It would be mental though, to see Hibs or Hearts in the CL Group section. lol

£ 30 million spending money could see players they'd never dreamt of playing for either of those clubs.
Yeah Franck Sauzee, Ray Wilkins, George Best, that kind of thing.

In all seriousness though, if one of them qualified and got that sort of money it would be a massive game changer. Timothy would be fcked :))

It's very difficult, largely due to the fact that they have to play us and them four times per season each.

Take Hibs. By the time the season's out, they'll have played 8 out of their 38 matches against us and the scum. That's potentially two trips to Ibrox and two trips to the Piggery.

Given the financial advantage us and the scum have over Hibs, it's very difficult for them to finish above us having played against us so many times.

If it was a simpler format - everyone plays each other once at home and once away - then they'd stand a much better chance.

People talk about Leicester, but they won the EPL which operates under the above format. If they had had to make multiple visits to places like Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad that season, they would have eventually dropped too many points and their title challenge would have ended.

Celtic are an absolute basket case right now. Hibs won't win the title, but they really should be aiming for 2nd place. Celtic have no divine right to finish in the top 2.

Personally I would love to see Hibs or Hearts finish 2nd and reach the CL group stage. Highly unlikely I know, but it would be interesting to see what the knock on effect of a non-Old Firm side getting CL cash would be.

It's the reason I'm a supporter of an 18-team league. Television doesn't pay enough to dictate our format. One trip a season to Easter Road, Tynecastle & Pittodrie would elevate these games.

As for this season, Hearts/Hibs will likely draw too many games. I'll be surprised (but pleased) if they finish 2nd & 3rd. It would be great for Scottish football...

Their problem is £20-30m they still don’t have the operational income to pay wages for the better players they could sign.
A player on 25k a week would earn £2.6 million over a two year contract.

Make the CL groups and they could easily use the money to sign five or six players on that basis.

And there would be plenty of players who would sign for them on that basis too.

It's the reason I'm a supporter of an 18-team league. Television doesn't pay enough to dictate our format. One trip a season to Easter Road, Tynecastle & Pittodrie would elevate these games.

As for this season, Hearts/Hibs will likely draw too many games. I'll be surprised (but pleased) if they finish 2nd & 3rd. It would be great for Scottish football...
My thoughts exactly.

I really do feel that if BT Sport is still a thing when the SPFL rights are up for renewal (there has been talk of BT selling it's sports broadcasting business) then the league should sit down with them and propose an 18 team, 34 match per season league with BT holding exclusive rights.

Current 12 plus:

Killie
Inverness
Partick
Dunfermline
Ayr
Hamilton

Two sides automatically relegated. 16th placed side go into a playoff with 3rd placed Championship side.

34 games per season versus the current 38 also means we could have a proper winter break in January with less chance of fixture pile ups.

IMO there is no question we'd get a good deal, even with only two OF league meetings per season.

BT were happy to show Scottish football even when Sky had the rights to all the OF matches, so clearly that wouldn't be a deal breaker for them. And their coverage is ten times better than Sky's.

Sky have absolute contempt for the Scottish game.

Last edited:
It’s just a mental situation up here that we think we are 6 ahead but reality is one point.

but they won’t sustain it hilarious if one finished second

No. Hearts are pish. Hibs are the better of the two but I see nothing to suggest they could sustain any challenge to take second spot from the Saviliers.

giphy.gif

If we go far in Europe they might hang in till Feb/March time but the biggest problem for clubs like them will be the January window.

Both teams are more likely to sell their best players rather than add to the squad then.

The best answer to this came from Dick Advocaat at a time round about this time of year and Hibs had started well.

On Radio Scotland Chick Young put this same question to Dick who literally burst out laughing. "No...no."
How many millions did Advocaat spend in comparison with hibs?

Its early days, yet but a hypothetical to ponder. If any of them actually won the League, they would automatically gain almost £ 30 million CL money. ? Yes, its a boring Monday night. lol
If hibs keep on getting penalties every game you never know.
But expect their challenge to peter out before the end of year. Usual 2 horse race will resume quite soon even though they are playing shite.

The answer is the same every season, they are challenging to finish a distant third.

However either Hibs or Hearts nicking in to win £30m would be a fascinating counter factual.

Nah, once the bheggars get the Japanese Messi back they will unfortunately be our only challengers this season. Depth and quality of squad is key to winning this league. We have both but the scum will definitely add to their wafer thin squad in January if they are still within touching distance and the other two wont have enough depth and quality to run the course of this season. Hibs look stronger though.

It's very difficult, largely due to the fact that they have to play us and them four times per season each.

Take Hibs. By the time the season's out, they'll have played 8 out of their 38 matches against us and the scum. That's potentially two trips to Ibrox and two trips to the Piggery.

Given the financial advantage us and the scum have over Hibs, it's very difficult for them to finish above us having played against us so many times.

If it was a simpler format - everyone plays each other once at home and once away - then they'd stand a much better chance.

People talk about Leicester, but they won the EPL which operates under the above format. If they had had to make multiple visits to places like Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad that season, they would have eventually dropped too many points and their title challenge would have ended.

Celtic are an absolute basket case right now. Hibs won't win the title, but they really should be aiming for 2nd place. Celtic have no divine right to finish in the top 2.

Personally I would love to see Hibs or Hearts finish 2nd and reach the CL group stage. Highly unlikely I know, but it would be interesting to see what the knock on effect of a non-Old Firm side getting CL cash would be.
The extent of our "financial advantage" was spending two million or so on a player from the english championship.

Its early days, yet but a hypothetical to ponder. If any of them actually won the League, they would automatically gain almost £ 30 million CL money. ? Yes, its a boring Monday night. lol
I think this season Hearts or Hibs will finish second and maybe even third I see no hope for celtic this season.

It would be nice if they could instead of it just being us and them every year, as much as I dislike them both.

People forget that Kilmarnock were second in the table as late as December in 1998/99.

There have been quite a few diddy teams over the years that look decent at this stage of the season before disappearing back into irrelevance.

Back