Barnsley owner Paul Conway insists he can break the stranglehold of Celtic and Rangers as he sets his sights on adding to his group's football empire

Coatbridge Chancellor

Barnsley owner Paul Conway insists he could break the stranglehold of Celtic and Rangers if the SFA allowed him to purchase a majority stake in a Scottish club.

Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts and Hibs are paying Deloitte to conduct a strategic review of the national game.

And dual ownership rules will be one of the areas placed under the spotlight in a quest to attract new money to the Scottish game.

Conway’s Pacific Media Group already own Barnsley in England, AS Nancy in France, KV Oostende in Belgium, Den Bosch in Holland, Esbjerg in Denmark and FC Thun in Switzerland.

Their attempts to add Partick Thistle, Livingston or Dundee to the stable collapsed last year when the SFA capped the ceiling for owners of other clubs at 24.9 per cent.

Conway’s PMG acquired Oostende and turned the £1.7million purchase of Scotland defender Jack Hendry into a £4m profit from Club Brugge three months later.

He believes if they could apply the same data-led ‘Moneyball’ approach to transfers to a club in Scotland, they could finally give the Old Firm a run for their money.

‘If we had a Scottish club we could challenge the duopoly of Celtic and Rangers, 100 per cent,’ Conway told Sportsmail.

‘Look at our Belgian example. With the lowest budget in the league at Oostende we finished fifth. We have a team now which is aged 24 to 27, we are competitive again this year - and why is that? It’s because our biggest cash flow source is player trading.

‘Think about it and the biggest shopping market in the world is just a few miles south of the border. So if you have a bunch of young attacking players, you can buy a medium-sized club and, through the trading profits, you can be competitive.

‘The way it is set up now, you have the Old Firm who have control of the league and no strategic investment is going to come in to these other clubs.

‘Part of the problem is that the Old Firm, as I understand it, don’t want to encourage inward investment because they have an anti-competitive duopoly.

‘You pick Hearts, Hibs or any other middle-sized clubs and they obviously can’t compete because of the difference in the matchday revenue.

‘But that can be fixed immediately if they are generating £10m to £15m of transfer profit like Oostende.

‘We got into Belgium and in our first year the transfer revenue was two times what we paid for the club the year before.

‘We sold Jack Hendry. We also sold Arthur Theate to Bologna in Italy for £6.5m after we got him on a free the year before.

‘So, if you bring in some strategic investor to recapitalise a team outside the Old Firm and these teams are generating transfer profits, guess what? The league is going to get a lot more competitive.

‘And that will dwarf anything you can do to make commercial improvements to the league. It will also give you a chance of greater TV rights.’

The aim of the Strategic Review led by Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts and Hibs is to double the revenue available to Scottish clubs from £27m to more than £50m.

Aware of potential investors waiting in the wings, the American-based owners of four of the clubs want all options placed on the table - and dual ownership will be one of those in Phase Two of their study.

Warning that Scottish football will be left behind after Holland relaxed their rules enough to allow PMG to buy Den Bosch this summer, Conway added: ‘I will talk to anybody about this. Tell those clubs to give me a call or whatever works.

‘I spoke to the American guys at Dundee before. But I’m happy to talk to anyone about ideas for change.

‘We looked at probably four opportunities to buy a club in Scotland and eventually gave up. It just doesn’t work for us or anyone like us and we grew so fed up we moved on to four other countries.

‘We now have clubs in England, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Switzerland.

‘Scottish football is falling behind. And you either get on this bus or the league continues to suffer compared to the other leagues.

‘The Dutch league opened up to strategic investors in January and if you are an American investor you are certainly going to go into Holland way before you go into Scotland.’

gn20.png

Full of patter. Aye very good on taking Oostende to 5th. Theres a world of difference taking a small Belgian club to 5th and taking Partick, Livi or Dundee to a title infront of 2 clubs that dwarf any Belgian side in stature.

This "moneyball" thing is fine for improving clubs to levels they may not have been capable of. Its not a means of beating bigger wealthier clubs though. You only need to check out the league winners across Europe every year to see that.

Full of patter. Aye very good on taking Oostende to 5th. Theres a world of difference taking a small Belgian club to 5th and taking Partick, Livi or Dundee to a title infront of 2 clubs that dwarf any Belgian side in stature.

This "moneyball" thing is fine for improving clubs to levels they may not have been capable of. Its not a means of beating bigger wealthier clubs though. You only need to check out the league winners across Europe every year to see that.
Bang on mate, PMG only have eyes on making money, if that improves the clubs league position its a bonus, the star player will be sold to the highest bidder and no player will be allowed to run down contracts and moved on regardless of the importance to the team.

Yanks don't get the emotional attachment we have to the clubs, their clubs up sticks and move to a different city if the money's right.

What he is suggesting is on a par with Barnsley making the top 4 in the EPL, are they there yet?

Another one who no doubt thinks Scottish football is a diddy league. Looking at his Barnsley transfers for the past 2 seasons and their position in the Championship it's clear his moneyball machine is broken.

He basically is basing his theory on having conned the bheasts out of several million for Jack Hendry - which probably wasn't that hard.

I welcome this. It would be great to have a more competitive league.

I think it will take more than 10-15m in player sales for it to work though, and I'm not sure how taking Oostende to 5th is evidence of anything. If they win the title in the next three seasons then I'd take notice. Also, the club that wanted to actually mount a challenge would eventually need to depart from the money ball strategy.

Say Hibs took in 15m from player sales in Season 2 of this project, they need to reinvest that into cheaper players and re-sell them at a profit later. So they won't be as competitive in Season 3. Then we get to Season 5, their players have matured, and they bring in 25m. Well at some stage they need to use the money to buy immediate quality, guys at the level of Goldson, Roofe, Helander, who might not be sold for much of a profit when you take wages into account, but can turn a team from a 3rd place finish into a 2nd/1st.

Would really like a team to come in and try this sort of thing in a sustainable way. Think we'll see it happen in the next decade or so as Scottish football has been on a downward trajectory for twenty years, accelerated with our financial issues and demotion. Us and them won't win the league every year forever, surely?

Would really like a team to come in and try this sort of thing in a sustainable way. Think we'll see it happen in the next decade or so as Scottish football has been on a downward trajectory for twenty years, accelerated with our financial issues and demotion. Us and them won't win the league every year forever, surely?
Well, I don’t care about them, if they never win another league game let alone a championship.

Not sure that citing Oostende proves the point he's trying to make. Or any of the other clubs. Seems to point more towards a model that is successful in making him money.

Im suprised a wealthy backer hasn’t bought hibs or hearts as a modest investment would see them challenging

Perhaps he should concentrate on applying his strategy to Barnsley and improving them rather than trying to operate other clubs?

That said, I’d be happy to see genuine investors in other clubs in Scotland to help raise the level / standard in a sustainable way. Would be good for everyone, including Rangers. I’m just not convinced that his multiple club moneyball strategy has the right objective and would actually do that.

Barnsley got into the play offs last season which was a ridiculous achievement considering they hardly had any right to be in the league in the first place.

He knows his stuff but Scottish football is a completely different kettle of fish.

Not even 6am and you’re attempting to get the likes in by breaking the staunchometer. I’m Impressed by that level of commitment.
You’ll see I’m not the most “liked” poster on the board.
I asked a question when the board changed over regarding “likes or quotes”.
Personally, I’d rather stimulate debate.
Likes are nice but the board needs different opinions to grow.

His stable of clubs aren't exactly setting the heather alight!

However he's certainly right about the footballing authorities being incapable of taking the game forward.

You’ll see I’m not the most “liked” poster on the board.
I asked a question when the board changed over regarding “likes or quotes”.
Personally, I’d rather stimulate debate.
Likes are nice but the board needs different opinions to grow.
Get a grip fs.

Bang on mate, PMG only have eyes on making money, if that improves the clubs league position its a bonus, the star player will be sold to the highest bidder and no player will be allowed to run down contracts and moved on regardless of the importance to the team.

Yanks don't get the emotional attachment we have to the clubs, their clubs up sticks and move to a different city if the money's right.

What he is suggesting is on a par with Barnsley making the top 4 in the EPL, are they there yet?
He's using the first rule of retail, buy cheap and sell dear. Money is his driver here, nothing else.

I don’t think anyone else will win the league as long as they have to play us and them 4 times a season.
If we went back to 2 games against each team it would happen more often for sure (would actually be a good thing for the Scottish game in the grand scheme of things).

Imagine if Man City bought Rangers and just used them as s feeder. Remember it nearly happened with Newcastle.

The current rules are correct as they protect supporters and did protect us

Although it’s definitely just a way to make this guy money. If he was splitting it with the clubs a little and improving them, then it’s better than some of the current owners of Scottish teams who are just happy to own a blazer and get a free bar after games.

I'm all for it if it creates at least a bit of added interest.
One thing though, when was the last time Barnsley won the EPL?

I don't think it his company will be allowed to buy a club in Scotland any time soon,however it would be interesting to see a different mentality to running a club in Scotland.
Rather than the usual committee of blazer wearing closed minds.

Because you can buy down south and get far more money back.
Yeah but you would have to spend easily 500m between buying the club and buying players to get remotely close to to competing at any level in epl. For 50m you could buy a club like hearts and compete straight away with potential champions league money straight away or at least Europa league

His existing sides have obviously done so much to break the stranglehold of the dominant sides in the countries they operate in.

:rolleyes:

Back