Start sakala, bacuna and patterson thursday

Steven Gerrard will not be resting players from a vital Europa League match to 'save' them for a routine League match against Hibs mate. I'd say the opposite is more likely - there's more chance the names you mention will feature against Hibs than against Sparta. Though I'd not be disappointed to see Sakala start on Thursday for his pace on the counter.

Agree I’d like to see Bacuna start a game but as already said, international break after weekend so go with strongest/form 11. If that includes Bacuna/Sakala then great as I feel they deserve a chance to show what they can do.

Steven Gerrard will not be resting players from a vital Europa League match to 'save' them for a routine League match against Hibs mate. I'd say the opposite is more likely - there's more chance the names you mention will feature against Hibs than against Sparta. Though I'd not be disappointed to see Sakala start on Thursday for his pace on the counter.
Sakala needs to replace Roofe for me if we are going to play on counter attack on Thursday.

I think the point is more about their particular abilities rather than just about resting guys. I could see Patterson and Sakala having more of an impact away from home in Europe than Tavernier and Morelos (on current form). At home to Hibs there is less opportunity to break with pace. Maybe not both but I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing some pace to the starting lineup.

Last edited:
Madness. Morelos is the club’s top European goal scorer of all time, and any time we drop him, we don’t win. Bacuna has rarely kicked a ball for several months, and even then, hasn’t been impressive for over a year. Tavernier is our captain and essential for big away European games.

We need to win on Thursday. It isn’t the time to be messing with the line up.

If we lose on Sunday, we can still win the league. If we lose on Thursday, we could be out of the Europa. It’s a false economy to be putting your all into winning a domestic league, if that domestic league holds no standing or value. And you get standing and value by winning in Europe.

Imo we need to go with freshness, pace and folk who can break fast but imo more importantly we can rest 3 key players for Sunday vs hibs.

Imo Sunday is massive with them also having a tough game.

The 3 mentioned have the ability to go cause problems on Thursday on the counter.
every game is massive, the next one more important than the last.

we don't rest players in europe

I doubt that will happen but understand the desire to try and freshen things up. We really need something to spark the team into life as its just all a bit slow just now.

Reactions: Moz
He actually said after the game at Dens that he was happy to have been able to keep a few players fresh for Thursday, so it's pretty clear he'll be playing what he considers to be his strongest possible starting 11.

Strongest team, get the points and the money involved and up the road ready for Sunday where we should again play the strongest team and then players can have a break.
That's it players that don't go on internationals get a week off so give there all for 2 games and then they will get the rest required.

giphy.gif

2 games before another international break. All out to win them both then rest players and keep anyone with knocks away from International get togethers.

I agree with starting Sakala and Bacuna if fit but I wouldn't drop Tav on Thursday.

Teams will know how to stop us now, especially in europe.

We should give them a surprise and really hit them fast on the counter imo.

Lose on Thursday we are on 0 points with 4 games to go one of the games away to Lyon. We need to start our strongest team and at least get a point from this.

I'd play Sakala off the left beside Alfie and Patterson as Tav's been off form a bit.
Not sure if Bacuna is ready but if he is why not?

Very few of the players could complain right now if they don't keep the shirt.

McLaughlin, Lundstram, Balogun and Bassey are the only ones getting a pass from Saturday for me.
Fair to say for a club like ours that's falling short of the standards required.

Our “best team” has barely played together this season yet for some reason people want to see us go with rotation often
Kent 0 goals in 9 games
Morelos 4 goals in 12 games
Roofe 5 goals in 9 games (x2 against Dunfermline)

Our 3 best attackers certainly aren’t clicking, it’s time Sakala gets a run of games IMO.

Kent 0 goals in 9 games
Morelos 4 goals in 12 games
Roofe 5 goals in 9 games (x2 against Dunfermline)

Our 3 best attackers certainly aren’t clicking, it’s time Sakala gets a run of games IMO.

The three of them have barely played together this season re the 3 you mention, it isn't a huge shock they aren't clicking.

I think some people believe Patterson is Dani Alves when the reality is, he's a good prospect but as his two performances this season have shown, he's not good enough yet.
Hes scored and played well in Europe already and created a goal on his international start, he is good enough.

My point though is he might be a better option for the counter attack and it means tav is fresh for Sunday also.

I’d play a forward line of sakala, Morelos and roofe on Thursday. Sakala’s pace could be a good replacement for kents which should hopefully stretch the game a little for roofe and Morelos

None of the three of them will start, Paterson has minimal experience in Europe, and the other 2 have none. Sakala and Baccuna might get some minutes depending how the game is going.

Imo we need to go with freshness, pace and folk who can break fast but imo more importantly we can rest 3 key players for Sunday vs hibs.

The 3 mentioned have the ability to go cause problems on Thursday on the counter.
Steven Davis is known for his break fast.

I’d play a forward line of sakala, Morelos and roofe on Thursday. Sakala’s pace could be a good replacement for kents which should hopefully stretch the game a little for roofe and Morelos
No way. Wright, Hagi or Aribo. All three of your forward line will make identical runs as we see with Roofe and Morelos a combination that hasn’t worked since the Celtic game.

I'd start Patterson instead of Tav and Sakala ahead of Roofe. Not seen enough of Bacuna to say he should start.
These are changes I'd make going forward, not just for Thursday. Much easier to rotate forward in my view.

Back