Is Sherrif beating Madrid the biggest upset in CL history?

Is Sherrif beating Madrid the biggest upset in CL history?

• Yes

Votes: 534 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 98 15.5%

• Total voters
The only one I can think of as a similar eyebrow raiser was Barcelona 0-4 Dynamo Kiev with Kiev being 3 up at HT with a Shevchenko hat-trick.

That was in a season Barcelona won the league, cup and UEFA Super Cup.

But it was still Dynamo Kiev so I think Sheriff pips it.

Just seen on Twitter they were only formed in 1997! Beating Real Madrid in the Bernabeau o_Oo_O bursting coupons all over the uk tonight lol!

Sheriff were best price 25/1 tonight. Just for reference, the odds for the other suggestions on this thread were:

Rubin Kazan away to Pep’s Barca?
A massive 22/1

The first result I thought of that rivalled it was Shaktar beating Madrid at home, with a number of their players out with Covid.

Reckon tonight tops it though.
14/1 to beat Real in Madrid last year

Single result probably

APOEL getting to the quarter finals was mental too.
5/2 to qualify v Lyon

Its nowhere near at all though is, really lol
Liverpool were 18/1 to qualify that night. Not 25/1 I grant you but not a million miles off.

595.jpg

Where you digging these from, out of curiosity?. :))
oddsportal.com mate

I find it interesting to look back at the old historical odds from matches down the years.

APOEL to knock out Lyon only being 5/2 definitely surprises me, like others on this thread I remember feeling like that was a huge shock at the time.

oddsportal.com mate

I find it interesting to look back at the old historical odds from matches down the years.

APOEL to knock out Lyon only being 5/2 definitely surprises me, like others on this thread I remember feeling like that was a huge shock at the time.
Thanks, I may look at that in future.

What odds were we to beat Lyon, I’d guess maybe 7/2?.

After 200 votes, still sitting at approx 15% that don’t think it is. Surprising IMO.

I'm guessing they have a bit of money behind them? One look at their starting lineup and not a Moldovan in sight, filled with South Americans and Africans

I'm guessing they have a bit of money behind them? One look at their starting lineup and not a Moldovan in sight, filled with South Americans and Africans
They don’t actually spend a lot on players, at least in terms of fees - biggest buy was £900k. Their stadium cost £150m though, and they have a large scouting network hence the abundance of foreign players.

Peach of a goal to win it! Any win over Real is special, but I would caveat that this particular Real side are on the poorer end of the scale. Still some feat!

the South American and African players are signed for a reason, they are cheap-ish, decent enough players who also come from areas that are either poverty stricken or use to living in not so great conditions/poorer countries.

I remember Davie Robertson discussing this when speaking about signing players to go to India to play.

Sheriff were best price 25/1 tonight. Just for reference, the odds for the other suggestions on this thread were:

A massive 22/1

14/1 to beat Real in Madrid last year

5/2 to qualify v Lyon

Liverpool were 18/1 to qualify that night. Not 25/1 I grant you but not a million miles off.

I had £20 on Liverpool to qualify v Barcelona. Went to a gig that night and rapidly lost interest as the goals started flying in. What a night.

Reactions: G33
Think the game was in the reserve stadium. Shame for them.

Nah they are back in the Bernabeu. Not full capacity as still works going on but still a healthy crowd.

Sheriff's last 5 CL matches v Real Madrid, Shaktar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb & Red Star Belgrade:

Scored 9
Conceded 1
Won 4
Drawn 1
Lost 0

Just watched highlights show not knowing score.

Sebastien Thill will now have a more famous goal on his wiki than the Rangers one.

Scored something like 30 goals in their last 6 games ,I was going to post it as a FF super single tip but couldnt be arsed getting the ridicule.

Back