Cardoso Champs League debut

Remember Murty preferred Bates and Martin to Cardoso and Alves. He also preferred Cummings instead of Morelos.

And many on this forum agreed.

Mental.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but given we had to pay them both off anyway, I'd have kept Alves & Cardoso as back up to Goldson & Katic in Gerrard's first season instead of Worrall and McAuley. Who knows how they'd have done under Gerrard's coaching given the improvement in the likes of Jack and Tavernier.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but given we had to pay them both off anyway, I'd have kept Alves & Cardoso as back up to Goldson & Katic in Gerrard's first season instead of Worrall and McAuley. Who knows how they'd have done under Gerrard's coaching given the improvement in the likes of Jack and Tavernier.

Think at his age and experience Alves has learned as much as he was gonna in the game.

Think at his age and experience Alves has learned as much as he was gonna in the game.

True, I guess more in terms of playing in a structured, well-coached team that had an idea what they were doing, we might have seen the best of him. He did well for a couple of seasons in the Serie A after he left us so I think he'd have done well under Gerrard, especially in Europe.

Never had the aggression or physicality to make it in our league but fair play, he has at least gone on from the Pedro days and carving a decent career in Portugal

I think on this seasons form they’d destroy us to be fair, I’m basing that on the fact diddy SPL sides are getting through our defence without too much bother lately.
I take it you have not watched them much this season. They may have won all games in the league this season, but like us, been very poor in most of them.. No team in Europe would hammer us the way the guy i quoted said.

Beat us yes. Hammer us no.

Clearly more suited to the Portuguese game than ours, don't think it's rocket science. He came to us when he was still young and didn't fancy it.

What have Brugge got to do with it? PSG would annihilate us.

The point is Brugge are probably at a similar level to us and they managed to contain PSG.

Look at Walter's result against Barca in the past.

Anything can happen during a game. On paper of course they'd pump us but it's not always as simple as that. Look at Real Madrid tonight.

To be fair Cardoso has done well to get to playing at that level given how his career went with us. He certainly wasn’t the worst but just wasn’t suited to Scottish football. Good luck to him
He'd be battling for 3rd choice cb with balogun. Criminal that we paid him up and he joined another team the next day, anyone with half a brain could see that he had potential.

I take it you have not watched them much this season. They may have won all games in the league this season, but like us, been very poor in most of them.. No team in Europe would hammer us the way the guy i quoted said.

Beat us yes. Hammer us no.
HAHAHA. Staunch mate, shame that level of staunch comes at the cost of common sense and logic.

To be fair Cardoso has done well to get to playing at that level given how his career went with us. He certainly wasn’t the worst but just wasn’t suited to Scottish football. Good luck to him
Bowman deliberately and viciously elbowed him in the face, splatttering his nose. A disgusting and shameful unprovoked attack on another player.The ref allowed play to continue, despite seeing him lying bleeding on the ground. Rangers did not even get a foul for that.
He just wanted out of Scotland after that shocking incident. It epitomised how utterly disdainfully we were treated by everyone in Scottish football at that time.
Never forgive, never forget.

Bowman deliberately and viciously elbowed him in the face, splatttering his nose. A disgusting and shameful unprovoked attack on another player.The ref allowed play to continue, despite seeing him lying bleeding on the ground. Rangers did not even get a foul for that.
He just wanted out of Scotland after that shocking incident. It epitomised how utterly disdainfully we were treated by everyone in Scottish football at that time.
Never forgive, never forget.
He wasn’t all bad:

nintchdbpict0003028277591.jpg

The point is Brugge are probably at a similar level to us and they managed to contain PSG.

Look at Walter's result against Barca in the past.

Anything can happen during a game. On paper of course they'd pump us but it's not always as simple as that. Look at Real Madrid tonight.

I’d agree it’s not beyond possible to get a result and it’s 11 men against 11. In previous seasons I would have fancied our chances because I think we had the belief based on consistently getting results. We rarely lost in Europe and played with confidence.

The CL qualifying seems to have killed that confidence entirely and we struggled against a pub team in the EL playoff. Had we had a harder tie I think we’d have been beaten.

It’s painful to watch as we seem like a shadow of last year when we all thought we’d kick on and be a serious team.

Back