more James McCarthy fitness concerns

Bet his agent was pissing himself laughing when they agreed to 4 years, he probably would have accepted one year to prove his fitness

Post on Kerryfail Street about him-

“He was appalling today before that tackle.

His awareness of what is going on around him is shockingly bad.

He seems scared to turn on the ball and only plays in the direction it came from.

A couple of those ridiculous passes to nowhere and then headed the ball to their striker, again because that was the way he was facing.

Another bizarre performance.

Still better than Soro.”

:D
Its the last line that gets you though!

They play full pelt for the 25/30 mins but start to go down hill quite quickly. By the 60th minute quite a few of them look done.
Already a few times this season you find yourself saying if they haven't killed the game by the 60th minute you fancy the opposition to get something. And you are usually correct.

How many games have they dropped points from a good start/winning position?

What I find interesting about this is the fact that it has now appeared in two different places.

Someone is not happy with training methods and getting their message out to the media. The fact that Phillips mentions sports science and players should not be flogged during the week tells me that some has definitely had a word in his ear.

They play full pelt for the 25/30 mins but start to go down hill quite quickly. By the 60th minute quite a few of them look done.
This is pretty much how our game against them went. Contain and control in the first half while looking to break. Second half step it up and squeeze them till they give up the goal then contain and control until the end (bar about 5 ish minutes).

I do like a thread where the Tim's come out looking like clowns. But is his injury record as bad as it's made out? I looked at his stats when he signed and iirc he played about 25-30 times last year, which was about consistent for previous years.

He's a pretty average player even when on his game. The fact they have given somebody who they need to immediately "manage" a 4yr deal is just music to all our ears.

You just know every midfielder in the country will be crunching into tackles with him to test his mettle - hopefully he is on a bumper wage just to top it all off.

It's fun to read but if you are paying attention to what Kevin Phillips is saying then you need to get off it, or on it. or something.

No shit Sherlock, he's done and the fact he's on a multi year multi million pound deal is glorious.
However Wtf is Football insider? And why does Phillips get trotted out regularly as if he has any knowledge on Scottish football? Seen quite a few threads with him that are moon howling scribbling guesswork about our club, players, transfers
Darren Bent was busy?

He is the last guy you would want to sign in a system that (allegedly) is high intensity and energy. Add him to Rogic and Turnbull and you would be lucky to get a combined 90mins out of them!

I reckon once Jack is back, we can get back to our high intensity pressing midfield game and cause them all sorts of problems

I do like a thread where the Tim's come out looking like clowns. But is his injury record as bad as it's made out? I looked at his stats when he signed and iirc he played about 25-30 times last year, which was about consistent for previous years.

loves a few days, eh sorry, months on the sick!

Playing regular men's football aged 16. Was always going to take its toll at the end of his career. Similar happened to Rooney

ANGE POSTECOGLOU must be careful with his training demands of James McCarthy, according to Kevin Phillips.

The former England international has warned the Hoops boss McCarthy won't be able to last at the weekends if he faces too much physical work during the week.

The claims come after McCarthy suffered a knock in the 1-1 draw with Dundee United at the weekend.
Last week a report from The Athletic also claimed McCarthy was struggling with the pace and intensity of Celtic training.

Now Phillips has urged Postecoglou to keep McCarthy fresh for the weekends by monitoring his fitness during the week in training.

Phillips told Football Insider: “McCarthy is not a young player anymore and when you sign a player like that you have to manage him right. You have to do your due diligence with the sport science guys.
“If you want the best out of him on a weekend you cannot physically flog him during the week. You don’t want to tire him out otherwise he won’t be able to last long at the weekend.

“I’m a little surprised they gave him a four-year deal.

“They need to manage him now. It will be interesting to see how many minutes he plays this season.”

B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D B-D
Bet they wish it was 4 month deal.
Talk about being sold a lemon!

I was just about to ask why is he all of a sudden interested in Scottish football haha? He seems to have an opinion on everything these days.
He's probably looked at the pundit class up here and concluded the barrier to entry is low enough for him to be in with a shout of a regular gig. Imagine competing with the likes of Neville and Carragher vs. Stewart and Hartson.

Harold had no idea he was signing or who he was
I doubt he’s stupid enough to make a “grand stand” signing like that
All the better mate. Their recruitment is a total shit show. Long may it continue. Especially ones that will be on a decent wage like him.

I hope he gets fit soon he is absolutely woeful, their Graham Dorrans signing.

Playing regular men's football aged 16. Was always going to take its toll at the end of his career. Similar happened to Rooney
15!

But you could say the same for James McArthur (16 on his debut), and he’s still going strong with Palace, and about to turn 34.

I think McCarthy has just been a bit unlucky with injuries, including losing a year to a leg break. On the other hand, he does seem to pick up a hamstring injury nearly every year.

I was a bit nervous when I read about Celtic signing him. I thought he's a good, solid midfielder and this is a strong signing for Celtic. But then I re-read the headline again, chuckled and carried on with my day when I realised it was James McCarthy and not James MacArthur they were talking about!

15!

But you could say the same for James McArthur (16 on his debut), and he’s still going strong with Palace, and about to turn 34.

I think McCarthy has just been a bit unlucky with injuries, including losing a year to a leg break. On the other hand, he does seem to pick up a hamstring injury nearly every year.

I was going to say 15 but it was the day before his 16th birthday when he made his debut.

Mcarthur didn't play as many game when he was that age, he only played a handful before he was 18? Going by wiki anyway.

A lot of body developing happens in those 2 years.

I was a bit nervous when I read about Celtic signing him. I thought he's a good, solid midfielder and this is a strong signing for Celtic. But then I re-read the headline again, chuckled and carried on with my day when I realised it was James McCarthy and not James MacArthur they were talking about!
James McArthur wouldn't sign for Selik.:cool:

Back