Gerrard to Newcastle, we have seen this movie before

I think they'll want a proven EPL manager, reckon it'll be Rodgers - he's an arrogant prick who realises he's reached the ceiling of what Leicester can achieve and will be happy to spend some dirty money to compete with the big boys.

I just can’t see it ( don’t want it either ha!)

These owners don’t need to gamble with a manager who is relatively inexperienced and then depend on him to build a wining team , they can go to anyone anywhere and ask them to name their price .

With that being said , I have a feeling they will go for someone like Martinez , EPL experience , plays a brand of football Newcastle fans will like and his Mrs is from central Scotland I believe so he would welcome the move ….

Behave.

He only identifies with clubs that can match his brand. We're an anomaly in that its a trade.

Gerrard is never going to manage a club like Aston Villa. His ego wouldn't allow it for starters.

So what does he do in the meantime ? Because I don't think domestic success up here with us is what Liverpool are really after as their next manager.

He's not going to touch the likes of Palace or Burnley etc with their shitey wee stadiums and their 20,000 crowds but I don't think he'd turn his nose up at the likes of clubs who can attract 40,000, have a forward thinking board and a bit of ambition. I'd imagine (unless he's been given a guarantee) he's realised that he'll need to prove himself in the EPL or a more high profile league than ours

Does he go abroad ?

So what does he do in the meantime ? Because I don't think domestic success up here with us is what Liverpool are really after as their next manager.

He's not going to touch the likes of Palace or Burnley etc with their shitey wee stadiums and their 20,000 crowds but I don't think he'd turn his nose up at the likes of clubs who can attract 40,000, have a forward thinking board and a bit of ambition. I'd imagine (unless he's been given a guarantee) he's realised that he'll need to prove himself in the EPL or a more high profile league than ours

Does he go abroad ?

What would be defined as success at somewhere like Villa - top 8, domestic cup? Gerrard has a lot to lose by going to a mid-level EPL club.

Liverpool won't be appointing him solely based on his managerial success. It'll be an emotional appointment. His European results with us are illustrating he has something, at least.

Does he go abroad ?

I just don't think he's risking his reputation going to a team like that. It doesn't feel the right fit either.

It's basically a case of binding his time until Klopp packs it in at Liverpool, be it 5,6,7 years.

It's a unique situation to be in but he's a special case.

With the oil money that have, they will aim higher than Gerrard imo
I've seen a lot of these comments.

Despite all the wealth, the profile of Newcastle as a club will need raising and who better than a former England Captain and Liverpool Legend?

On one hand I do think Gerrard has really taken to us as a club - he's has often talked about the similarities to Liverpool as a city and a culture - but equally I believe this season has been an eye opener to an extent in relation to our limits. Would he have been wrong to have thought we may have spent or shown that bit more ambition to secure CL football?

Personally I don’t think money is the driver for SG. He’s absolutely minted. I would be utterly shocked if he left us to go to Newcastle. Win the league and hopefully both cups this year, have a crack at CL next year then go to Liverpool…I think that’s his plan. And good fuking luck to him.

The problem is next year we are looking at one almighty rebuild

The Champions League money will help enormously but anyone thinking that's the answer to everything when we've still got a £14m financial black hole to plug as well is sadly mistaken.

Are six doings(and realistically what else are we looking at, especially with a new team) really going to do his CV any favours ?

I've seen a lot of these comments.

Despite all the wealth, the profile of Newcastle as a club will need raising and who better than a former England Captain and Liverpool Legend?

On one hand I do think Gerrard has really taken to us as a club - he's has often talked about the similarities to Liverpool as a city and a culture - but equally I believe this season has been an eye opener to an extent in relation to our limits. Would he have been wrong to have thought we may have spent or shown that bit more ambition to secure CL football?
There’s blame all round for us no getting into the CL, both the board & Gerrard, I still think we had a good enough squad to at least beat Malmö, also other clubs has oil money too, so the Newcastle job may not be as attractive as it seems on face value

Placed small bets on Conte and Zidane and Martinez.
Reckon they will want box office with track record.
Conte is a winner and available and did great job with Chelsea.
Zidane, immediately available and could appeal to him.
Martinez msy just feel he has taken Belgium to their limit and be open to it.

The Champions League money will help enormously but anyone thinking that's the answer to everything when we've still got a £14m financial black hole to plug as well is sadly mistaken.

Are six doings(and realistically what else are we looking at, especially with a new team) really going to do his CV any favours ?
That is exactly the things Gerrard needs to think about, 6 doings in the Champions League or worse still not qualifying for it in the first place, will do his reputation more harm than good. I don't know if he'll be offered the Magpies job or not, if he does he will jump at it. IMO of course.

You've really got to laugh.....little over a week ago we were getting constant digs at the state of play under SG and what had went wrong and now we are worried about losing him?

The brutal truth and I think we saw an indication of it after the Hibs game he will be disappointed in the support about how quickly 55 was taken for granted-he will never say it but I think it's a fair observation on how he and the squad/backroom staff feel.

Peculiar situation for anyone to step into. A club who just became an overnight financial giant who are going to be in a battle just to be in the EPL next season.

What a foul up if they were to go down.

Remember Souness to Liverpool, that hit us hard, but we had Walter Smith.

I would hope that £mega millions from Saudi billionaires who are using Newcastle as a PR exercise would mean Gerrard exercising caution.

Those Saudi Billionaires, let’s not kid ourselves, could turn his head with their bottomless pit of cash.

I would be especially disappointed in Steven Gerrard if he left, but it could happen, we always knew this.

We should know his mindset soon because his views will be sought especially with the English Media.

I hope the Rangers Board are awake, we will maybe have to look for another Walter Smith.
Too early for SG, Toon manager will be a big, experienced name in management if the Saudis take over.

You've really got to laugh.....little over a week ago we were getting constant digs at the state of play under SG and what had went wrong and now we are worried about losing him?

The brutal truth and I think we saw an indication of it after the Hibs game he will be disappointed in the support about how quickly 55 was taken for granted-he will never say it but I think it's a fair observation on how he and the squad/backroom staff feel.

He's made of sterner stuff than that. When interviewed for BT he actually said that he thrives on the ridiculous demands of the club.

He's made of sterner stuff than that. When interviewed for BT he actually said that he thrives on the ridiculous demands of the club.
Possibly but still think he will be disappointed on where we were when he joined and what he delivered and the reaction to the start of the season which has been disappointing but hardly a disaster.

Or maybe it’s seen as part of the education process.

He’s not at Ibrox to play teams 5/6 times a season. Europe is where he needs to learn. And, who knows, maybe it won’t be 6 doings and we finish third.

What are the demands at a Villa?

So he stays and shows an improved showing at a second attempt with another years CL money to rebuild further to a higher level?

I think SG will see out his contract with us.

I have said it before but i can also see him going abroad for a couple of years, Italy or Germany.

I just don't see him taking any job in England other than Liverpool.

I think Liverpool will be SG's last managerial appointment. I think he will build his managerial career around that, he's a smart boy, he wont be in any rush.

All imho of course.

Pretty sure that SG would love to manage Liverpool when the opportunity arises. He will have sufficient personal wealth at present, so money won’t be a short term issue. Steven is bright enough to figure out going to Newcastle carries an unnecessary risk. Lack of progress there could harm his chances of eventually getting his dream job at Liverpool.
Gerrard is apparently worth £60m.

Why? He’s proven himself to be a very talented manager, we’ve literally watched evidence of this
He's proved to be very talented? Disagree. He's proved he can bring in quality players with his name alone and get them working a certain system, sometimes exceptionally, no idea how that translates to very talented though. His trophy record alone still raises an eyebrow or 2.

He's got a long way to go before being considered for jobs like these.

He's proved to be very talented? Disagree. He's proved he can bring in quality players with his name alone and get them working a certain system, sometimes exceptionally, no idea how that translates to very talented though. His trophy record alone still raises an eyebrow or 2.

I’d agree with this.

1 trophy from 9 just won’t be looked on as a great return.

Qualifying for the EL four seasons in a row is the only thing in his CV that will even register outwith Scotland, and even that is a bit ‘meh’ if we look at it dispassionately.

It’ll depend on how seriously the Saudis are taking it, I suppose.

If they want the glitz of a ‘name’ and the PR that comes with it, they might consider Gerrard.

If they want to hit the ground running and challenge for silverware from the start they’re going for an elite manager.

I think they’ll have learned from the lessons Chelsea and Citeh made immediately after their takeovers, and will go for the proven top tiers managers straight away.

£55m compensation up front for Gerrard and his backroom team excluding Mick Beale, he stays!!.

If and it's a big if, NUFC come calling, they will double, probably treble his salary, he's offski.

This is a job. We all work, we all want top dollar. He's no different.

However, I suspect it'll be someone like Klinnsman.

I don't think he's anywhere near ready for the Liverpool job. I even think another three, four years up here will be of limited use.

In the EPL you're regularly going head to head with some of the best managers in football - Klopp, Pep, Tuchel. What prep has is regularly getting for that up here? Malky Mackay and David Martindale?

You have European football, but in the event of CL qualification, you're looking at 6 group stage games and a handful after that.

I don't think there's a chance he walks into Liverpool from managing in Scotland. I think that's the important distinction - it's not the managing Rangers bit that's hindering him, it's managing a team in Scotland. Ole still doesn't know what he's doing at United, Arteta is guddling along at Arsenal and Lampard lasted a year and a bit at Chelsea. The EPL will chew you up and spit you back out.

Does he go abroad ?
I think he just won't move from here until Liverpool is available(ofcourse he will still need to be successful up to that point here, which I feel will be his biggest challenge to maintain his last season title win and and good europa record). I really don't think their is a meantime. It'll be Rangers, Liverpool and possibly England eventually.

Yes, he has proven to be very talented, do you not like…watch us? He hasn’t really brought in “quality players” at all or even anything remotely close to “quality” in a wider lense. I would doubt many will look at solely the trophy haul and raise eyebrows when looking at the full body of work, more so in England for instance where work in Cups isn’t “really” seen as a massive priority to most or the likes of John Hughes, Callum Davidson, Michael Laudrup and Eck would have had stronger CV’s and Van Gaal still at Man U, or at least retained longer

As I mentioned in my previous post, numerous people in the actual “jobs like these” completely blow your criteria of the standard of candidates needed to get “jobs like these” to bits, it’s not just opinion it’s actually actively happening….because in this day and age the entire work is assessed as well as mangers being judged based on pull of personality which plays a factor. The appeal of working with him would likely strengthen the interest of players who would consider joining them for reasons other than just money as well, his name and brand is very very strong.

Last edited:
If and it's a big if, NUFC come calling, they will double, probably treble his salary, he's offski.

This is a job. We all work, we all want top dollar. He's no different.

However, I suspect it'll be someone like Klinnsman.
Don't 100% agree with your comments, Gerrard isn't 100% motivated by Money but I do agree he'll probably be gone regardless - I just think the boost in his wages won't be the deciding factor.

Gerrard might not be swayed by the money but he might be swayed by being given unlimited amount of money and a shot at the PL. Almost no chance it goes wrong with the money he'll be given to spend and he gets to prove his worth in the EPL which gives him a bigger shot at the Liverpool job when he almost by default looks good in the PL.

If they do come for Gerrard I can only hope Gerrard does us a favour aswell as the board to get a healthy sum in compo. They have virtually unlimited money, we have Gerrard. If they want him they better start writing the 0s

Remember Souness to Liverpool, that hit us hard, but we had Walter Smith.

I would hope that £mega millions from Saudi billionaires who are using Newcastle as a PR exercise would mean Gerrard exercising caution.

Those Saudi Billionaires, let’s not kid ourselves, could turn his head with their bottomless pit of cash.

I would be especially disappointed in Steven Gerrard if he left, but it could happen, we always knew this.

We should know his mindset soon because his views will be sought especially with the English Media.

I hope the Rangers Board are awake, we will maybe have to look for another Walter Smith.
I’ve grown to hate that stupid “seen that movie before” line but I’ll play along.
How did the sequel pan out?
Not too well for the main actor with a lack of success, obvious excellent signings like Wright and Saunders not working out, and a fan base who once worshipped him becoming openly hostile towards him.

Newcastle last won a major honour in 1969 ( i seen them against us twice that season )
As a Professional SG knows that if he won a trophy there, he would be a God in Newcastle, Glasgow and Liverpool
That would be so tempting for him and his backroom team

Newcastle last won a major honour in 1969 ( i seen them against us twice that season )
As a Professional SG knows that if he won a trophy there, he would be a God in Newcastle, Glasgow and Liverpool
That would be so tempting for him and his backroom team

The gaffer has too much respect for us to leave mid-season for Newcastle. It’s not going to happen

The gaffer has too much respect for us to leave mid-season for Newcastle. It’s not going to happen
It's your opinion, mines are he might think he can't lose and also get us a few quid in compensation
John Greig refused to take a job in management as he couldn't put a team out against us at Ibrox, I don't think SG would have the same problem but he might think that about Liverpool, who knows. I hope he stays at least to the end of the season

Reactions: BWO
It's your opinion, mines are he might think he can't lose and also get us a few quid in compensation
John Grieg refused to take a job in management as he couldn't put a team out against us at Ibrox, I don't think SG would have the same problem but he might think that about Liverpool, who knows. I hope he stays at least to the end of the season
The few million we‘d receive in compensation isn’t going to make up for the Stevie shaped hole that would be left in our operations, he has too much respect/love for us to inflict that on upon us at this time of the season (IMHO)

Last edited:
Why would Gerrard leave his £1m a year job at Rangers in a small league to take a £10m a year job at Newcastle in the biggest league in the world?

Answers on a postcard.
You don’t need a postcard. This thread is full of answers, every one is basically an opinion or a guess. Where did your figures come from incidentally? I’m amazed that you’re privy to Gerrards wage offer before he’s even been offered the job.

I've still not seen anybody who states "if they want him he'll go" explain why? What's in it for him?

Your first paragraph is spot on by the way. But to then suggest Gerrard would be the "placemaker/holding manager" is a bit off. How many times has Gerrard explained why Rangers were the right fit for him?
Because you don't get offered a job with those resources and turn it down. Especially if your a relative rookie of a manager plying your trade in this football backwater.

Personally, I don't think they will go for him.
I also don't think he'll get anywhere near the Liverpool job for what it's worth.
I won't be surprised if we are his sole gig in management and after us.....it's comfortable TV an punditary work all from the comfort and base of his own home.

Back