Gerrard to Newcastle, we have seen this movie before

I think that we might be looking for a new boss; IF he was to be offered the NUFC project, assuming they can give him the eye watering budget that might be up for grabs.
Whatever the case hopefully the board already has had a long hard think about how they want to proceed when Gerrard does eventually go. I'd be sounding out Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, just in case.

The Geordies will be wanting a Rolls Royce manager like Pep/Klopp with a proven track record, not a relatively young inexperienced mgr like SG.
I'm sure SG would be interested in the position with a blank chequebook, but I don't think they'll be interested in him.

Yes, he has proven to be very talented, do you not like…watch us? He hasn’t really brought in “quality players” at all or even anything remotely close to “quality” in a wider lense. I would doubt many will look at solely the trophy haul and raise eyebrows when looking at the full body of work, more so in England for instance where work in Cups isn’t “really” seen as a massive priority to most or the likes of John Hughes, Callum Davidson, Michael Laudrup and Eck would have had stronger CV’s and Van Gaal still at Man U, or at least retained longer

As I mentioned in my previous post, numerous people in the actual “jobs like these” completely blow your criteria of the standard of candidates needed to get “jobs like these” to bits, it’s not just opinion it’s actually actively happening….because in this day and age the entire work is assessed as well as mangers being judged based on pull of personality which plays a factor. The appeal of working with him would likely strengthen the interest of players who would consider joining them for reasons other than just money as well, his name and brand is very very strong.
He's brought in players for 3, 2, 2, 3, 7, 4 &4 million over 3 summers to compete with the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hibs etc who probably haven't spent £5 million between them in the last 20-25 years. Quality players for this league with price tags no club in Scotland, except one of course, can compete with.

Cup success might not be seen as important in England but if you're recruiting a manager from the SPFL from Rangers or the scum then I'd imagine cup records would play a part especially when both us and the scum blow everyone else out the water. Worth noting as well that Gerrard has lost one cup tie to the scum while being knocked out by St J, St Mirren, Hearts and Aberdeen twice.

So your 2nd part, they're more than likely recruiting him for his name then, aye?

No idea why anyone would try and make Gerrard out to be better than he is. 1 trophy in 12 and a failed CL qualification attempt against Malmo.

The Geordies will be wanting a Rolls Royce manager like Pep/Klopp with a proven track record, not a relatively young inexperienced mgr like SG.
I'm sure SG would be interested in the position with a blank chequebook, but I don't think they'll be interested in him.
Exactly what I was thinking. They'll be wanting a manager who has proven themselves at Champions league level.

Exactly what I was thinking. They'll be wanting a manager who has proven themselves at Champions league level.

Like Mark Hughes who was the "first" City manager in their project?

Regardless of the pay packet, most of the very top managers aren't interested in a project for three years.

They will get their proven CL manager but it may very well take a few stepping stones first.

Newcastle last won a major honour in 1969 ( i seen them against us twice that season )
As a Professional SG knows that if he won a trophy there, he would be a God in Newcastle, Glasgow and Liverpool
That would be so tempting for him and his backroom team
I don’t think that’s all that tempting to him at all

Because you don't get offered a job with those resources and turn it down. Especially if your a relative rookie of a manager plying your trade in this football backwater.

Personally, I don't think they will go for him.
I also don't think he'll get anywhere near the Liverpool job for what it's worth.
I won't be surprised if we are his sole gig in management and after us.....it's comfortable TV an punditary work all from the comfort and base of his own home.
I don't think they'll go for him either.

But I completely disagree with the first bit. I don't think he'd have any interest in walking away from the chance to win a Treble and later stages of Europe etc, with a squad he's built himself over over last 4 years - to go and try to keep Newcastle up with no guarantees beyond that? Forget the resources and the billions this season, their immediate priority is survival.

It might appeal to Lampard who's out of work and trying to get back in after his career took a bit of a setback at Chelsea. Might be a shot to nothing for him. Gerrard is in a different position.

If you substitute Gerrard for xavi and Scotland for Qatar it holds true.
I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Zidane has won more over the past 5/6 years than any of your first tier. He's won three Champions League trophies, two Club World Cups, two UEFA Super Cups, two Spanish Super Cups and two LaLiga titles
World cups and super cups? What I said still applies. There’s a reason he isn’t still at Real - they were really poor last season. You’re only as good as your last game.

I don't think they'll go for him either.

But I completely disagree with the first bit. I don't think he'd have any interest in walking away from the chance to win a Treble and later stages of Europe etc, with a squad he's built himself over over last 4 years - to go and try to keep Newcastle up with no guarantees beyond that? Forget the resources and the billions this season, their immediate priority is survival.

It might appeal to Lampard who's out of work and trying to get back in after his career took a bit of a setback at Chelsea. Gerrard is in a different position.
Seems unlikely their new billionaire owners would go for a guy who looked totally out of his depth in his second season in the EPL.

He's brought in players for 3, 2, 2, 3, 7, 4 &4 million over 3 summers to compete with the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hibs etc who probably haven't spent £5 million between them in the last 20-25 years. Quality players for this league with price tags no club in Scotland, except one of course, can compete with.

Cup success might not be seen as important in England but if you're recruiting a manager from the SPFL from Rangers or the scum then I'd imagine cup records would play a part especially when both us and the scum blow everyone else out the water. Worth noting as well that Gerrard has lost one cup tie to the scum while being knocked out by St J, St Mirren, Hearts and Aberdeen twice.

So your 2nd part, they're more than likely recruiting him for his name then, aye?

No idea why anyone would try and make Gerrard out to be better than he is. 1 trophy in 12 and a failed CL qualification attempt against Malmo.
Sweet Jesus. I actually don’t think Newcastle will go for him but you are talking like one of that lot with your assessment of our manager!

What foreign manager like conte wants to live in the north east.
Thats a big factor.

I dont think hed be living in a scheme hoose tbf

He’d be in a multi million pound mansion

Football managers dont spend that much time seeing the sights Id imagine, its that hectic at that level, they spend their spare time with family

Seems unlikely their new billionaire owners would go for a guy who looked totally out of his depth in his second season in the EPL.
They might have to this season. They're not getting a Zidane or Conte right away, they need to stay up first.

Paulo Fonseca (ex-Shakhtar and Roma) being linked this morning.

Honestly that’s the type of name I’d expect in the short term, they aren’t jumping straight to a huge name manager with the squad of players they have now.

Reactions: TN8
They might have to this season. They're not getting a Zidane or Conte right away, they need to stay up first.

I agree, It will be a teir 2 manager they’ll bring in to get them safely through the season

Then maybe bring in a big name once its established that the owners are willing to back a big project

Im thinking along the lines of a Martinez

Reactions: TN8
Paulo Fonseca (ex-Shakhtar and Roma) being linked this morning.

Honestly that’s the type of name I’d expect in the short term, they aren’t jumping straight to a huge name manager with the squad of players they have now.
Latest rumour to pop up on my Twitter feed a moment ago was Martinez (again). As much as SG would be a coup for them, I’m firmly in the established manager at the highest level camp for the appointment so I’m not worrying too much about this rumour mill.

I think Gerrard will be very particular who he works for, I doubt the chance of being hired and fired in the space of six months by a Saudi billionaire with a new toy will appeal to him.
Very fair point and well made.

I do think we need to acknowledge the fact Gerrard won’t be here long enough to become our new Walter our new comfort blanket, I think he’s done what he came for his plan has worked to perfection bar us making this years CL which can be ticked off by winning the title this year.

He came in when we were 200 odd down the European rankings and being spanked stupid by the beasts, he’s given us group football four years on the spin in Europe and got our ranking back up to top 50 in Europe, stopped the 10 and delivered , and we now have a squad of players who even on a bad day is worth £100 million quid.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gerrard left one way or another at the end of this season or next, we need to celebrate him but mentally be prepared to move on without him , big shoes to fill but always remember Rangers will be fine, and who is to say if it doesn’t work out for him down south that one day he could return , he’s a young man after all. I’m relaxed about it all, different story had we not done what we did last season of course.

Not only is you glass half empty, it’s half full of stinking diarrhoea

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

World cups and super cups? What I said still applies. There’s a reason he isn’t still at Real - they were really poor last season. You’re only as good as your last game.
Then you might ask yourself what Allegri is achieving this season.

If and it is a big if - he does decide to leave then I would hope the board move heaven and earth to get Michael Beale to take over.

The problem with Newcastle is they are in a very dangerous position in the table and only have one transfer window to try and resolve it

I dont think hed be living in a scheme hoose tbf

He’d be in a multi million pound mansion

Football managers dont spend that much time seeing the sights Id imagine, its that hectic at that level, they spend their spare time with family
The draw of London with lifestyle , shopping , airports etc is far better than geordieland

These posts always make me laugh. Add all the negatives and ignore the positives. Idiotic arguing.

I mean in his first year as a manger he took us to the EL group stage through 4 qualifying rounds, which had only been done once before. In that season we beat celtic for the first time in years as well as competed with the likes of Villareal, Rapid Vienna etc.

2nd year the same and qualified to the last 16, same last season but this time we won the league.

Gerrard knows the cups haven't been good enough but to sit there and pretend there hasn't been progression year on year under this management team is utter p!sh.

'No idea why anyone would try and make Gerrard out to be better than he is. 1 trophy in 12 and a failed CL qualification attempt against Malmo. ' Im guessing you probably read that on Kerrydale, clown.

I’d agree with this.

1 trophy from 9 just won’t be looked on as a great return.

Qualifying for the EL four seasons in a row is the only thing in his CV that will even register outwith Scotland, and even that is a bit ‘meh’ if we look at it dispassionately.

It’ll depend on how seriously the Saudis are taking it, I suppose.

If they want the glitz of a ‘name’ and the PR that comes with it, they might consider Gerrard.

If they want to hit the ground running and challenge for silverware from the start they’re going for an elite manager.

I think they’ll have learned from the lessons Chelsea and Citeh made immediately after their takeovers, and will go for the proven top tiers managers straight away.
There's a bigger picture when it comes to the 1 in 9 trophies. Look at the mess he inherited when he came into the job as well as the financial position of the club. We were never going to be in a position to challenge for the league in his first season. The cup exits were a disappointment but had we won that league Cup final in 2019 then I think our trophy haul would be better.

I don't think Newcastle will want him they will want a bigger name but I think Gerrard will call it a day at the end of the season if we win the league given the rebuild ahead in the summer.

I can’t believe the level of disrespect to Gerrard on this thread. It’s obvious he’s on the path to being a great manager with a great backroom team. If he goes to Newcastle he’ll be a huge success. Look at what we’ve achieved in Europe with a very limited budget. They guy is an absolute star turn in football and with the media. I really hope he stays where he is, but if he continues to achieve with us we won’t be able to keep him much longer.

Sources in Scotland say Gerrard is “intrigued” by the job according to Craig Hope of the daily mail yesterday . Today it’s he’s “monitoring developments “ .

Wonder who these “sources” in Scotland are ...........

Very flimsy article .

I can’t believe the level of disrespect to Gerrard on this thread. It’s obvious he’s on the path to being a great manager with a great backroom team. If he goes to Newcastle he’ll be a huge success. Look at what we’ve achieved in Europe with a very limited budget. They guy is an absolute star turn in football and with the media. I really hope he stays where he is, but if he continues to achieve with us we won’t be able to keep him much longer.
I don't think there are many that doubt Gerrard would be a success at Newcastle, moreso, in the short term he will need time to build.

I think many underestimate just how much of a shit show Newcastle and their squad is. Bruce may not have a sexy name in football circles but he's done well to keep a squad of mainly Championship players in the EPL - the same goes for Benetiz before him.

Whoever takes the job will take 2/3 years to establish Newcastle at even an Everton level on the periphery of the top 6.

It will take them at least 5 years to challenge for a CL spot imo.

I have pals who are Celtic fans speak higher of him than that TBH - wild assessment

I’m not Mystic Meg.
You placed Allegri in your first tier of managers. ZZ wasn't included because he "was only as good as his last game" according to you.
Juve, under Allegri, haven't been very good this season so where does that put Allegri?

Delighted to see that "1 trophy out of 9" still has the puddle drinkers in absolute bits :)
Posters on here using it, even though one of those European qualifications was far more important than all 6 of those cups put together that they're using to bash him with.

League first
Europe second
Diddy cups after

Yes the cups are important. But not so much if we didn't win the league and we're not earning money and bolstering our clubs reputation in Europe and beyond.

Who here would have been happy with no league, no European football beyond the qualifiers and a league Cup win? F right off with that shit.

They will be looking for a manager for the first and immediate stage of the project. Europe doesn't come into it at this stage.
I think they will take an initial plan of five years, the owners need credibility in the UK, and one of the reasons they might look at SG
He is not long retired and would be a magnet for a lot of the best English players and English based players, most of the top managers have a lifespan of fewer than three years, except the ones that have Oil / Gas / American money behind them as they know they won't get as many funds at other Clubs
Any decent Manager in my opinion will be a success at Newcastle with the financial backing they will have
Plus any manager with any sort of ambition would jump at the chance.
I know I would as I've always loved a challenge

Posters on here using it, even though one of those European qualifications was far more important than all 6 of those cups put together that they're using to bash him with.

League first
Europe second
Diddy cups after

Yes the cups are important. But not so much if we didn't win the league and we're not earning money and bolstering our clubs reputation in Europe and beyond.

Who here would have been happy with no league, no European football beyond the qualifiers and a league Cup win? F right off with that shit.
well said, League and europe is whats important, the domestic cups are trinkets by comparison, winning the league is the be all and end all, as it gets us in the higher euro comps (which lets face it is the only decent footballing income when we play in this league), which in turn will help us afford/attract better players, as everyone wants to play in the CL, try selling Rangers to foreign players on our domestic comps alone will not cut it, I'm amazed that some fans don't get this, playing in europe is the biggest selling point to foreign players coming to us

Back