Gerrard to Newcastle, we have seen this movie before

I don't think there are many that doubt Gerrard would be a success at Newcastle, moreso, in the short term he will need time to build.

I think many underestimate just how much of a shit show Newcastle and their squad is. Bruce may not have a sexy name in football circles but he's done well to keep a squad of mainly Championship players in the EPL - the same goes for Benetiz before him.

Whoever takes the job will take 2/3 years to establish Newcastle at even an Everton level on the periphery of the top 6.

It will take them at least 5 years to challenge for a CL spot imo.
I don’t think it will take that long simply because they are now the richest club in the world. A manager with the right charisma will be able to attract the best players, although a sensible one will make sure those players are still hungry and under 30.

Latest rumour to pop up on my Twitter feed a moment ago was Martinez (again). As much as SG would be a coup for them, I’m firmly in the established manager at the highest level camp for the appointment so I’m not worrying too much about this rumour mill.
Martinez will want to take Belgium to Qatar.
I really don’t see him turning his back on that dream with just 12 months left.

McGowan has been desperate to get Gerrard out of Rangers since he arrived as he hates the fact we have a world renowned icon at the helm and they have a fat sweating Aussie nobody.
Its definitely not the right time.

A real competitor like Gerrard will want to lead the team he built into the Champions League, into the greatest test in club football, at least once before he moves on.

If this opportunity came up in summer 2023 than you could say its the 'right time'.

Anyone saying otherwise is just a (not so) quietly terrified tim.

Klopp and Gerrard signed contact extensions at the same time, which respectively terminate in the summer of 2024.

Timmy can have all the wet dreams they like, SG's goal is clearly to cut his teeth as a CL manager with us and move onto Liverpool. It's a win/win scenario for him and us.

I have no idea what he's thinking, but the one thing I think we can mostly recognise is his family situation. How long he wants to be away from his family for so many days in the year is a private thing which may make a decision for him some day.

I'm not saying newcastle by any means, but somewhere that makes it possible for him to return home every night may well appeal to him.

Only two jobs I can see him going to , one is Liverpool the other is England.

Think this is all press hyperbole but as the old saying goes, never say never, especially when there is an extremely rich Arab involved.

These posts always make me laugh. Add all the negatives and ignore the positives. Idiotic arguing.

I mean in his first year as a manger he took us to the EL group stage through 4 qualifying rounds, which had only been done once before. In that season we beat celtic for the first time in years as well as competed with the likes of Villareal, Rapid Vienna etc.

2nd year the same and qualified to the last 16, same last season but this time we won the league.

Gerrard knows the cups haven't been good enough but to sit there and pretend there hasn't been progression year on year under this management team is utter p!sh.

'No idea why anyone would try and make Gerrard out to be better than he is. 1 trophy in 12 and a failed CL qualification attempt against Malmo. ' Im guessing you probably read that on Kerrydale, clown.
I was going to reply to that load of tosh, but I knew I would have been late to the party.

These posts always make me laugh. Add all the negatives and ignore the positives. Idiotic arguing.

I mean in his first year as a manger he took us to the EL group stage through 4 qualifying rounds, which had only been done once before. In that season we beat celtic for the first time in years as well as competed with the likes of Villareal, Rapid Vienna etc.

2nd year the same and qualified to the last 16, same last season but this time we won the league.

Gerrard knows the cups haven't been good enough but to sit there and pretend there hasn't been progression year on year under this management team is utter p!sh.

'No idea why anyone would try and make Gerrard out to be better than he is. 1 trophy in 12 and a failed CL qualification attempt against Malmo. ' Im guessing you probably read that on Kerrydale, clown.
Missed this post as largely ignored the absolute clusterfcuk that this thread is, but that’s a belter of a reply and much more reasonable than the absolute horseshit it was responding to.

With the rumours swirling around the possible departure of Steve Gerrard from Rangers to Newcastle Utd. It has to be remembered that Gerrard is still relatively inexperienced as a manager. His record at Rangers can boast some genuinely positive accomplishments, but inevitably there have been some missteps along the way. But in looking to find a replacement for Steve Bruce, would the new owners of Newcastle Utd., with an apparently limitless budget available to attract top echelon managerial candidates look to Gerrard, someone plying his trade in what many view as a pub league', and who still has much to prove.

The big argument in favour of Gerrard, is as been noted, his charisma and the widespread respect in which he is held in the football world, factors that might offset any doubts about his managerial inexperience. For Gerrard, the Newcastle job comes with risks to his long-term ambition to become Liverpool manager. If he screwed up despite having a huge transfer budget at his disposal, his reputation would be ruined and he could kiss the Liverpool job goodbye - along with the chance of ever managing a top club.

I hope Stevie G doesn’t go to Newcastle but if he does he’ll go with my best wishes. After a series of disastrous appointments, he’s managed to get us back to the top of Scottish football and making inroads into Europe. If he goes, and I think it’s a big if, his legacy will ensure that we will be able to attract a manager of a decent standing who will build upon our progress.

Stevie G is the best thing to happen to Rangers. Him taking the Ibrox hotseat put us on the World map again. I sincerely hope he stays.

IMHO SG is not ready for that job. And it’s a horrible job for first six months. Terrible squad with half a season to survive!
Rodgers, Martinez, Conte, or Zidane will be in front of him. He needs to win the league this season and ave a go at CL. Then he might be ready season after next for a move.

IMHO SG is not ready for that job. And it’s a horrible job for first six months. Terrible squad with half a season to survive!
Rodgers, Martinez, Conte, or Zidane will be in front of him. He needs to win the league this season and ave a go at CL. Then he might be ready season after next for a move.
Not ready?

He's above that job now.

Where that job might be in a few years time is a different story. But where it is now, he's above that.

Gerrard always said he couldn't manage a club against his beloved Liverpool...I can't see this happening, we will have him till his contract terminates.

With the money Newcastle now have they will be going for an experienced successful manager who’s done it a the highest level.

Depends. How patient are they going to be ?

The smart move is to let Bruce or some other sucker loose with £200m and get the core of the team together for 12 months as the manager arses it up before bringing in the big guns to take it to the next level.

Not many managers worth their salt are walking into a situation where Jonjo Shelvey is cutting about midfield.

With the rumours swirling around the possible departure of Steve Gerrard from Rangers to Newcastle Utd. It has to be remembered that Gerrard is still relatively inexperienced as a manager. His record at Rangers can boast some genuinely positive accomplishments, but inevitably there have been some missteps along the way. But in looking to find a replacement for Steve Bruce, would the new owners of Newcastle Utd., with an apparently limitless budget available to attract top echelon managerial candidates look to Gerrard, someone plying his trade in what many view as a pub league', and who still has much to prove.

The big argument in favour of Gerrard, is as been noted, his charisma and the widespread respect in which he is held in the football world, factors that might offset any doubts about his managerial inexperience. For Gerrard, the Newcastle job comes with risks to his long-term ambition to become Liverpool manager. If he screwed up despite having a huge transfer budget at his disposal, his reputation would be ruined and he could kiss the Liverpool job goodbye - along with the chance of ever managing a top club.
Not really.

Not ready?

He's above that job now.

Where that job might be in a few years time is a different story. But where it is now, he's above that.

Really??

He’s above managing possibly the richest club in World football in the best league in the World?

I take it as a huge compliment our manager is considered a contender!!

I don’t think he’ll get the job but we have to remember where we are. We will , for the foreseeable future, lose our best players / managers to the rich English clubs. Take their money reinvest it and move on. We will be here long after Gerard leaves but we should all be grateful he chose our club to start his managerial career and always be thankful for 55

Really??

He’s above managing possibly the richest club in World football in the best league in the World?

I don’t think he’ll get the job but we have to remember where we are. We will , for the foreseeable future, lose our best players / managers to the rich English clubs. Take their money reinvest it and move on. We will be here long after Gerard leaves but we should all be grateful he chose our club to start his managerial career and always be thankful for 55
I don’t think he wants the job.

See the post you quoted, read the 2nd and 3rd lines again

Just because Newcastle have tonnes of money doesn’t make that the biggest job in the world on Saturday 9th October 2021.

Of course, once their money take effect it will be a great job. Right now, it’s a relegation dog fight.

You are confusing Newcastle in 2, 3, 4 years time, with the rich shit show it is now.

Yes, Gerrard is above that on Oct 2021.

He might not be on Oct 2022. And we shouldnt be lifting our skirt to them now.

There’s more to life and football than money. Gerrard knows that. And he’s not poor. He’s set for life. Newcastle need to offer more than money. And right now they offer big money and bigger risk.

Would like to see Diego Simeone manage in the EPL. Hope they go for him.
A decent shout but I can’t see it. La Liga champions, CL and is the highest paid manager in the world. They’re on level points with Real Madrid and Real Sociedad just now so will fancy themselves for a second title.
Conte must be the obvious candidate.

Really??

Also, Gerrard will be grateful we gave him his big chance. ;)

Steven Gerrard will leave at some point in the not too distant future. I think he will want to win a second title with us and a cup or two if he can. After that, I think he will want to move on. I would love him to stay, but as far as I am concerned he is a Rangers legend. After what we have been through, winning the title last year is right up there with our greatest achievements.

"You know what, I think I'll go down to Newcastle for a relegation battle without experiencing Zadok the priest at Ibrox"

Aye f'in right:

Back