Potential Future Manager

TPB90

Let me start by saying I don't think Gerrard and his team are leaving anytime soon but if/when they do leave are there any current realistic managerial targets in mind?

Bored during the international break loyal.

He's made noises about going out on his own at some point and he would be the ideal appointment imo.

Hopefully it's something we don't need to worry about this season though.
He’s also said he sees his future in Brazil.

I think he’d be tempted, if offered it.

He’ll break away from Gerrard eventually - it’s just whether it’s before the Liverpool gig, or not.

Not interested in Lampard. He's still got it all to prove as a manager after a less than impressive stint at Chelsea.

The last few appointments have been more experimental. I'd like to think when Gerrard leaves we'll be in a position to go for a more established appointment given we have won the league and are regulars in Europe again.

Beale and I'd even offer Defoe it if he wants to get into management.

Defoe isn't a name I see posted a lot , maybe for good reason but IMO he'd be good and it worked with Gerrard. Arguably Defoe is in a better position than Gerrard as he knows what the SPL/Rangers is about now and knows how to play etc against certain teams etc.

Not 100% sure how much I'd want to go for the tried and tested to be honest. It didn't work out for us pre Gerrard for a long time and we seen the troubles that lot had trying to get a "decent" manager in.

Might be a risk but someone new in Gerrard worked for us and I'd like to see us give it another try.

What has Lampatd done to suggest he would be any good?

He failed with a better group of players than we currently have. Same players were almost instantly improved under different management.

Don't ask me for a name but would be hugely disappointed if we appointed Lampard.
I’m not sure about Lampard.

But your comment at the bottom was prevalent throughout a lot of threads, with regards to us appointing Gerrard.

The only thing putting me off Beale is the Ian Cathro factor, a man who is a great coach and incredibly respected but an appalling manager.

I’d be happy with Beale though, I trust the board to get the next appointment right :))
Beale has done far far more in his coaching career than Cathro had tbf

What has Lampatd done to suggest he would be any good?

He failed with a better group of players than we currently have. Same players were almost instantly improved under different management.

Don't ask me for a name but would be hugely disappointed if we appointed Lampard.
Apparently Newcastle are interested in Lampard.

I think some of the comments about lampard are a bit harsh, thought he done well at derby with loans and no real transfer budget and it was his team that tuchal won CL with, aye he struggled to get results against so called lesser teams at the end of his tenure, but to achieve champs league football with the transfer embargo in place was a huge achievement in its self, bearing in mind he (iirc) had only been in management for less than 2 years

Graham Potter would also be high on my list. Not sure if he could be convinced to leave the premier league though.
The man who has managed to mastermind a team with Shane Duffy playing at CB to 6th in the prem's stock is probably a bit too high for us.

When we lose SG it's going to be a massive job appointing the right person. I assume we'll lose Beale, Culshaw and MacAllister at the same time. And we won't accept another 3 year wait/ complete tear it up and start again job. I'd love Beale to be the manager, become the Walter to SG's Souness... but if SG gets a prem job it's because he also has the stock of being Steven F'n Gerrard. Beale will probably be more likely to get a good job after a few seasons as Liverpool assistant under SG than straight from us.

Someone with a huge personality and a coaching backroom team, that is the model which best works for us - Lampard with Billy Reid as assistant, something like that. The front face of it all has to be someone with huge personality.

The recruitment of an upcoming coach with little reputation on their own, just not sure it is for us TBH.

Last edited:
Back