Potential Future Manager

True. However Gerrard was afforded a lot of time in comparison to trophies delivered due to (the pandemic ;) and) the mess he inherited.

Whoever the next manager may be I can't see being afforded that luxury.
Wouldn't necessarily need as much time as Gerrard though?

The rebuilding job isn't as big and defoe knows the league, teams and our style of play a lot more than Gerrard did when he took over. He should slot in a lot easier than Gerrard because Gerrard has let's be honest, done the hard bits.

Wouldn't necessarily need as much time as Gerrard though?

The rebuilding job isn't as big and defoe knows the league, teams and our style of play a lot more than Gerrard did when he took over. He should slot in a lot easier than Gerrard because Gerrard has let's be honest, done the hard bits.
You make a good case, for.

I just can't see it as effectively he's another novice manager.

Time will tell.

I don’t think Gary McAllister is destined for the hot seat. He’s probably more of a number 2. Michael Beale. Again, not so sure. I know people will continue to go back to the days of Souness and Smith but how often does that actually happen and be a success?

I think when Gerrard goes, the majority of his current backroom staff follow.

Will worry about future managers when the time comes.
For me that's the bigger worry.

Whilst Gerrard has built the club up enormously behind the scenes, how many key personnel will he be taking with him?

I think some of the comments about lampard are a bit harsh, thought he done well at derby with loans and no real transfer budget and it was his team that tuchal won CL with, aye he struggled to get results against so called lesser teams at the end of his tenure, but to achieve champs league football with the transfer embargo in place was a huge achievement in its self, bearing in mind he (iirc) had only been in management for less than 2 years
Lampard was deservedly sacked. His second Chelsea season was a disaster.

it will probably be Michael Beale but the Denmark manager if we could afford him would be a good appointment

Beale and I'd even offer Defoe it if he wants to get into management.

Defoe isn't a name I see posted a lot , maybe for good reason but IMO he'd be good and it worked with Gerrard. Arguably Defoe is in a better position than Gerrard as he knows what the SPL/Rangers is about now and knows how to play etc against certain teams etc.

Not 100% sure how much I'd want to go for the tried and tested to be honest. It didn't work out for us pre Gerrard for a long time and we seen the troubles that lot had trying to get a "decent" manager in.

Might be a risk but someone new in Gerrard worked for us and I'd like to see us give it another try.

Sorry I don't see the sense in this, I know the argument is that he has a little less experience than Gerrard but we were not in a strong position last time, we obviously are now. We need someone with experience after Gerrard, or Mick Beale stepping up.

Ross Wilson should have an ever evolving list of potential managers for every scenario which could arise. I have a feeling going by his Southampton hires our next manager will be an up and coming foreigner.

When he was at Southampton one of the agenda items on each monthly meeting was reviewing the clubs next managerial targets incase the clubs current manager left either to another club or downturn in club results.

Would review things such as recent managerial sackings across Europe, style of play etc to make sure it fit with club ethos. I’d imagine this would be utilised at the club as was very successful at Southampton when going from Atkins to poch to koeman.

Whoever it is, it would need to be someone with sufficient personal gravitas. Otherwise, it is unlikely to work out. Does Callum Davidson have similarities to Scot Symon at East Fife? Difficult to say, but Symon had the added benefit of being an ex-player. And Davidson’s side has hardly kicked on this term (so far).

Left field suggestions like unknowns from the English lower leagues are way out if you ask me.

It would interesting to find out who the board have their eyes on.

Domestically I'd be looking towards Callum Davidson what he achieved last season was remarkable with what is essentially a bottom 6 provincial club if he kicks on again this season the board will be considering him.

A coach from Europe then for me Urs Fischer from Union Berlin he got them promoted solidified them as a bundesliga club and now has them playing European football in the conference league I'd get someone like Neil McCann on his backroom team like we have done with Gary mac to help with understanding scottish football.

Sorry I don't see the sense in this, I know the argument is that he has a little less experience than Gerrard but we were not in a strong position last time, we obviously are now. We need someone with experience after Gerrard, or Mick Beale stepping up.
The tried and tested and experienced doesn't guarantee us success either. We seen that pre Gerrard. We can also look at that lots fiasco over manager the past few year and they've ended up with postaglue and before that Lennon.

No matter what it's a risk and IMO I feel like I'd rather take that risk with someone like Defoe given the success we seen with Gerrard. And certainly more than some of the other names being posted here - Mcinnes and Lampard for example. Defoe is also a super likeable / people person aswell - an important trait in todays managing role.

Of course if we're going in house Beale would be the best option, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Gerrard elsewhere.

I would offer it to Gary McAllister or Michael Beale and hope they would bring in Calum Davidson as his assistant who down the line would be our next manager.

I think Davidson would accept that offer.
There’s not a chance Callum Davidson would take an offer like that. That’s a downgrade he’s going from being a manager of a club to an assistant manager. No good manager worth there salt takes a job like that.

So was Gerrard

Gerrard had something that other ex players from his era lack.

Mind saying at the time I wouldn't have touched Giggs, Campbell or Lampard with a bargepole but Gerrard was different.

He just carries himself the way a leader should and to me it's what the other three lack. Lampard was forever blaming others and Giggs had the leadership skills of a used Johnny.

Gerrard had something that other ex players from his era lack.

Mind saying at the time I wouldn't have touched Giggs, Campbell or Lampard with a bargepole but Gerrard was different.

He just carries himself the way a leader should and to me it's what the other three lack. Lampard was forever blaming others and Giggs had the leadership skills of a used Johnny.
I wasn't bringing up Lampard etc btw - I originally mentioned the possibility of Defoe.

Hard if not impossible to compare Defoe to those people but I do feel like Defoe is more likely to be in your "gerrard-type" baskets than your "giggs/lampard type"

I wasn't bringing up Lampard etc btw - I originally mentioned the possibility of Defoe.

Hard if not impossible to compare Defoe to those people but I do feel like Defoe is more likely to be in your "gerrard-type" baskets than your "giggs/lampard type"
There’s not a chance we take a gamble on someone like Defoe. When Gerrard first came in he was coming into a mess of a club that no good experienced manager would touch. Now when Gerrard does leave he will leave us in a very good state compared to that. It’s much easier to attract a good manager in that case. We won’t take a chance on an inexperienced manager when we most likely don’t need to given we won’t be a mess of a club.

Another bump for Callum Davidson. Think he has the material for it. Think he's the type of guy who would heart and soul the job (which is needed).

Yeh I saw that mate.

However, if a job with the magnitude of the manager of Rangers is offered to you in the cold light of day, it may be a difficult first manager's job to turn down.
More than that, he wouldn’t have a better opportunity for a first-time job considering he’s already bedded in. He’ll be able to make a name for himself before exploring overseas options

There’s not a chance we take a gamble on someone like Defoe. When Gerrard first came in he was coming into a mess of a club that no good experienced manager would touch. Now when Gerrard does leave he will leave us in a very good state compared to that. It’s much easier to attract a good manager in that case. We won’t take a chance on an inexperienced manager when we most likely don’t need to given we won’t be a mess of a club.
Like who? Anyone and everyone is a gamble as much as the next guy, unless you go to the top of the top managers where it might be a bit safer and we just can't afford them.

We've seen some names being banded round here - Mcinnes, Lampard. GVB is a decent shout but given he was in China and apparently went back to his family he's probably off the cards (Money and family wise).

Callum Davidson is also a huge gamble, and yet to be seen how he does this season - 1 good flash in the pan season shouldn't necessarily give you the job to manage us.

The best that lot could come up with was Neil Lennon and Postaglue. You could make an argument for them being in a shambles for Postaglue but Lennon they were flying high and looked to be all but guaranteed 10 in a row and whoever could get them there would be a hero. Yet he was their answer to Rodgers leaving. Stuff like that really does make you wonder what calibre of manager teams in scotland can attract these days.

The best that lot could come up with was Neil Lennon and Postaglue. You could make an argument for them being in a shambles for Postaglue but Lennon they were flying high and looked to be all but guaranteed 10 in a row and whoever could get them there would be a hero. Yet he was their answer to Rodgers leaving. Stuff like that really does make you wonder what calibre of manager teams in scotland can attract these days.

Celtic DID appoint Lennon, they also signed Barkas, they signed Bolingolli, they signed Ajetti

During a comparable time we appointed Gerrard, signed McGregor, Barisic and Roofe.

The underlying issue which hinges both is standard of recruitment rather than candidate and personnel. The appointment of Lennon for them felt wrong at the time, they all knew it, their board took an easy option.

Last edited:
We'll need a manager who's brave enough to trust youth. Using King ,Kelly, McCann or players of that age save a fortune (if they're good enough).
SG couldn't take a chance with youth till he was successful, I'm hoping our next manager comes in after SG has successfully moved on to the EPL.

I think Gerrard would move heaven and earth to keep Beale as a part of his team. It just depends if the chance at Rangers outweighs the big bucks of Liverpool and the EPL. Remember Davies was in with a shout of becoming the next Celtic manager but preferred to stick with Rodgers.

Davidson clearly has something. As a Rangers manager though, I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's to do with the fact it looks like he lives under a bridge.
Top trolling

I’m not sure about Lampard.

But your comment at the bottom was prevalent throughout a lot of threads, with regards to us appointing Gerrard.
Fair.

Gerrard was a gamble, for sure. He has moved us past that gamble stage though so one that paid off.

Lampard had better tools at his disposal than SG did at the start of his Rangers tenure and still failed.

Lampard's Chelsea were disjointed at best, clueless and nieve is probably fairer.

Not for me. Would be a massive step back in footballing terms just for a name.

Like who? Anyone and everyone is a gamble as much as the next guy, unless you go to the top of the top managers where it might be a bit safer and we just can't afford them.

We've seen some names being banded round here - Mcinnes, Lampard. GVB is a decent shout but given he was in China and apparently went back to his family he's probably off the cards (Money and family wise).

Callum Davidson is also a huge gamble, and yet to be seen how he does this season - 1 good flash in the pan season shouldn't necessarily give you the job to manage us.

Yeah but Defoe has zero experience at any level, Gerrard at least had experience as manager of the under 18s at Liverpool. After Rodgers they got lazy and appointed Lennon they didn’t even bother looking at other appointments, they just wanted the headlines of Lennon taking them to 10 in a row.

Your right every new manager is a gamble but Callum Davidson is a hell of a lot of a smaller gamble than someone like Defoe. Davidson has won trophies and has experience in the spfl. He’s shown this year that after losing their two best players they’ve started to pick up a couple of results.

It was said at both Derby/Chelsea that Lampards teams didn’t have a set style of play, so quite often the players didn’t actually have a clue what they were supposed to be doing

Thought that also mate, but i also beleive he is the brains behind all of this.
I agree and he has said he wants to be the boss one day so no better place than this with a club, fans and players who adore him. When SG leaves it must be our priority to get Mick to stay behind d

If it was CD my paranoia would tell me it’s because well be reigning in the spending
I hope it’s Beale

I always figured Gerrard would take his entire team with him when he moves on and that would include Beale.

I definitely wouldn't be disappointed with Callum Davidson. Looks like someone who could really grow into the role and he carries himself well too.

We need to aim so much higher than Callum Davidson. All he has done is managed a diddy wee team and he has hardly any experience. He would be a massive risk and chances are he will go to the English lower leagues and bomb.

Back