Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

There was a game at Cathkin in the early 60s my dad spoke about, the gates got stormed and fans flooded in and swarmed on to the pitch.
League Cup tie maybe.

This looks like it.

It is that very game mate, a 2-0 win on 12th August 1961. Here's a cracking picture of fans breaking down the gates to get in, with two hardy policemen doing their best to hold back the tide :)):

PMf6U93.jpg

A great question, but not sure of the definitive answer, other than I think it is very much a generation thing, depending on who you grew up with.
I will go further back and cite Max Murray as probably a good example.
His goals to games ratio, was far superior than those immediately before him, like Billy Simpson and Willie Thornton, but despite that, I doubt he was ever loved to the degree that his predecessors were.
Murray's stats at the time, would have him in the Top 5 prolific Goalscorers in our entire history, alongside, R.C Hamilton, Wullie Reid, Jimmy Fleming and Jimmy Smith, but again, despite Murray's goalscoring exploits, I suspect most people from your Dad's generation, would have more love for Simpson and Thornton.
Millar and Brand who never quite reached the Goals to Games that Murray did before them, would still be held in much higher regard than Murray, by those who grew up late 50's/ mid 60's. Then came the teenage sensation that was Jim Forrest, who broke all sorts of scoring records, was two footed, and also a great passer of the ball, but that generation absolutely loved Jimmy Millar, for his all round work rate, effort and toughness, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in their 70's now, who does not still love Jimmy Millar.
Those of us born late 50's/early 60's grew up absolutely worshipping the hype, the price, the instant Hat Tricks, and the all round ability of Colin Stein to a degree that was probably not even afforded world class stars before him in Baxter and Henderson.
Having said that, getting back to your original query, those older pop pickers who would have witnessed Millar, Brand, Forrest and Stein in their prime, I suspect, most of them would have Stein just outside the top 3 of the 4.
Ask the same question in perhaps 15 years or so, when the older pop pickers, have popped their clogs, then you might find that Colin Colin Colin Stein, the greatest Centre Forward the World has ever seen, will be held in much higher esteem.
Although you are probably factually correct @MO_TxTruBlu, that is a less than rosy outlook for us older pop pickers

It is that very game mate, a 2-0 win on 12th August 1961. Here's a cracking picture of fans breaking down the gates to get in, with two hardy policemen doing their best to hold back the tide :)):

PMf6U93.jpg
I was there that day with my father and elder brother. We kept getting pushed forward and ended up near the touchline. I was too young to realise what was going on but never felt any sense of danger.

The night we beat Aberdeen 6-1 in the League Cup that season was as brilliant an attacking Rangers performance as I've seen.
Absolutely.
The 6-1 rout of Aberdeen is probably the best I've seen from us.
I’ve been following Rangers since 1968.

The demolition of Aberdeen is the best performance I’ve witnessed.

In your opinions, was Jock's 1977/78 Treble winning side better than his 1975/76 one?

In your opinions, was Jock's 1977/78 Treble winning side better than his 1975/76 one?
The 77/78 squad had a lot more flair, and was an absolute delight to watch. The 75/76 squad were much more of a hard working lot, but they both got the job done.
Just my opinion mind, and to be honest, those were GREAT times to be a bear after all that had gone on between 1965 -74!

The bold Eric Sorensen. One of the first goalkeepers to regularly punch the ball in Scottish Football.
Sorensen could be brilliant one minute and a clown the next, if memory serves me he cost us the Scottish Cup replay with a late blunder at tynecastle to gift hearts the winner. Mind you we should have won the first game at Ibrox. Hearts went on to lose to dunfermline 3-1 in the final.

Back