Potential Future Manager

There’s not a chance Callum Davidson would take an offer like that. That’s a downgrade he’s going from being a manager of a club to an assistant manager. No good manager worth there salt takes a job like that.
Do not agree , from manager of St Johnstone to asst manager of Rangers with the prospect of being manager in the future.

Of course by then he may have a better offer.

It’s all about opinions though.

We need to aim so much higher than Callum Davidson. All he has done is managed a diddy wee team and he has hardly any experience. He would be a massive risk and chances are he will go to the English lower leagues and bomb.
Who do you have in mind if you want to aim higher than Callum Davidson? Alex Mcleish had only managed a diddy team he worked out quite well. Davidson has experience of winning trophies as well which is also quite important for a club our size.

Who do you have in mind if you want to aim higher than Callum Davidson? Alex Mcleish had only managed a diddy team he worked out quite well. Davidson has experience of winning trophies as well which is also quite important for a club our size.
McLeish was good initially yes. And he took Motherwell to 2nd and Hibs to 3rd. His Hibs side were pretty decent with Latapy, Sauzee etc.

So it wasn’t really the same.

Gerrard had something that other ex players from his era lack.

Mind saying at the time I wouldn't have touched Giggs, Campbell or Lampard with a bargepole but Gerrard was different.

He just carries himself the way a leader should and to me it's what the other three lack. Lampard was forever blaming others and Giggs had the leadership skills of a used Johnny.
His brothers used johnny at that

We need to aim so much higher than Callum Davidson. All he has done is managed a diddy wee team and he has hardly any experience. He would be a massive risk and chances are he will go to the English lower leagues and bomb.
I think that’s unreasonably dismissive of Davidson. “All he has done is managed a diddy team.” Yes and won 2 cups with that diddy team. That’s two more than our current manager could do with by far the best team in the country. I’m not saying he would be the right appointment but the magnitude of his achievement should not be ignored.

I think that’s unreasonably dismissive of Davidson. “All he has done is managed a diddy team.” Yes and won 2 cups with that diddy team. That’s two more than our current manager could do with by far the best team in the country. I’m not saying he would be the right appointment but the magnitude of his achievement should not be ignored.
They’re currently 8th.

I think Beale would take it. Seems to enjoy living here. His family is here as well. Stint here then abroad. In my view it needs to be someone internal as Gerrard will be taking most of the current staff with him so we need someone to stay that’ll know what’s needed in terms of replacements to keep things as stable as possible.

McLeish was good initially yes. And he took Motherwell to 2nd and Hibs to 3rd. His Hibs side were pretty decent with Latapy, Sauzee etc.

So it wasn’t really the same.

In reality, McLeish was the very definition of mediocrity.

One 2nd place aside, he finished 3rd bottom twice with Motherwell, left them 2nd bottom to join Hibs, got relegated, promoted then finished mid table and 3rd.

When he joined us he was on a run of something like 1 win in 8 games

In reality, McLeish was the very definition of mediocrity.

One 2nd place aside, he finished 3rd bottom twice with Motherwell, left them 2nd bottom to join Hibs, got relegated, promoted then finished mid table and 3rd.

When he joined us he was on a run of something like 1 win in 8 games
The Hibs side that finished third were pretty strong. He assembled a decent side on a low budget, hence why we went for him.

Davidson would just be a massive hit and hope, and his side aren’t even currently in the top 6.

Beale and I'd even offer Defoe it if he wants to get into management.

Defoe isn't a name I see posted a lot , maybe for good reason but IMO he'd be good and it worked with Gerrard. Arguably Defoe is in a better position than Gerrard as he knows what the SPL/Rangers is about now and knows how to play etc against certain teams etc.

Not 100% sure how much I'd want to go for the tried and tested to be honest. It didn't work out for us pre Gerrard for a long time and we seen the troubles that lot had trying to get a "decent" manager in.

Might be a risk but someone new in Gerrard worked for us and I'd like to see us give it another try.
Defoe would command instant respect like Gerrard did. Not knowing either man personally (obviously) this is just guesswork but I could imagine Gerrard being a bit more ‘old-school’ with a dressing down of a player for example and Defoe actually could be the same. His standards for himself are so exceptionally high he wouldn’t tolerate less than 100% from any player young or old.

It’s an interesting one but I don’t think it looks too likely in the near future. Having said that, Robbie was 34 when he took over at Hearts and he impressed so much he got bigger opportunities. MK Dons didn’t work out but he has again been a relative success up here and back at Tynecastle, sometimes the fit is just right.

Back as assistant to Nuno at Spurs

I still reckon he could turn into a decent manager at the right club with a decent budget but anywhere but Rangers for him to try that :D
I felt for him at Hearts. He came in with sceptics and was unorthodox in his methods (some say forward-thinking) and was always fighting against the tide. He was often running blind regards to recruitment as well, he had a clear way he wanted us to play but the players never matched the template.

He will some day be a decent manager though, probably abroad in a lower tier foreign league.

Such was his uphill struggle to win the support of the Hearts faithful, at his lowest ebb he had a bender in the club shop and ended up wearing everything in stock at a presser:

JS114001307.jpg

I think it will be Beale and I would be happy with that appointment.
Cant agree with that. Rangers as a club need someone with a high profile to help us grow. My backing would go to Giovanni Van Bronckhorst. A playing career littered with success, including a Champions League win and captain of World Cup finalists, and transformed Feyenoord as a manager. He would come here with a better track record than even Gerrard had, so would have a head start.

We should 100% be thinking now about succession planning. Gerrard is a big character. Hard act to follow. I don’t see an underwhelming domestic replacement being the right move. I’d be keen on someone from the continent. Someone like Roger Schmidt from PSV. Experienced at a big club.

Cant agree with that. Rangers as a club need someone with a high profile to help us grow. My backing would go to Giovanni Van Bronckhorst. A playing career littered with success, including a Champions League win and captain of World Cup finalists, and transformed Feyenoord as a manager. He would come here with a better track record than even Gerrard had, so would have a head start.

Agree. Thats the kind of experience I think we’ll need post Gerrard.

They’re currently 8th.
Indeed. Although the sale of his 2 best players on transfer deadline day is a mitigating factor. I did say he may not be the right appointment. I was merely pointing out that he had done more than just manage a diddy team. Even in the backwater that is Scottish football winning 2 cups with the likes of St Johnstone is quite the achievement. Time will tell if last season was a fluke or an indicator of some managerial talent that he might have.

Let me start by saying I don't think Gerrard and his team are leaving anytime soon but if/when they do leave are there any current realistic managerial targets in mind?

Bored during the international break loyal.
What's Eddie hunter doing this weather?

Indeed. Although the sale of his 2 best players on transfer deadline day is a mitigating factor. I did say he may not be the right appointment. I was merely pointing out that he had done more than just manage a diddy team. Even in the backwater that is Scottish football winning 2 cups with the likes of St Johnstone is quite the achievement. Time will tell if last season was a fluke or an indicator of some managerial talent that he might have.
Sorry, but winning a couple of Scottish cups doesn’t really impress me much. The standard of our league is beyond woeful, and as I previously said I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to the English lower leagues and bombed.

I think I’ve seen this movie before .

I know what you are saying but I don’t know if Gio would come back.

Sorry, but winning a couple of Scottish cups doesn’t really impress me much. The standard of our league is beyond woeful, and as I previously said I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to the English lower leagues and bombed.

They had to beat the champions (us) to win that cup. Its a really big achievement for them.

We can disagree about the merit of his achievement. We are in agreement about not wanting to see him as the next manager of Rangers.

I don’t think Gary McAllister is destined for the hot seat. He’s probably more of a number 2. Michael Beale. Again, not so sure. I know people will continue to go back to the days of Souness and Smith but how often does that actually happen and be a success?

I think when Gerrard goes, the majority of his current backroom staff follow.

Will worry about future managers when the time comes.
I agree,U think McAllister us more likely to go with Gerrard,but I don't think he's Manager material,great assistant, but doesn't come a Ross as someone who'd kick ass so to speak. After Pedro I'm reluctant to go foreign although I wouldn't mind the Denmark coach who seems to get players playing for him

They had to beat the champions (us) to win that cup. Its a really big achievement for them.
I do agree. It’s also something that has been beyond our current manager and his 3 predecessors. That said, there’s still a feeling that he’s just a better version of Derek McInnes. He may turn out to be a very good manager - just not sure I want Rangers taking a punt on that.

Assuming Stevie goes at the end of next season with 3IAR a couple cups and a decent showing in the CL, you’ve got to hope we make an Advocaat-type appointment, someone with a bit of pedigree and experience of winning things. When you’re replacing a successful manager, you want to build on that. I’d imagine at that time, you’d look at who’s won things recently in divisions comparable to our own, and what their euro records are and work from there.

If things fall apart and Stevie leaves with us having not won the league, or having had a poor season. That’s when you look at up and comers.

FWIW I don’t see Beale managing Rangers, it looks to me that if anyone is being primed for it, it’s McAllister. Thomson, Davidson etc would fall into the up and comer bracket as well (and I think each of those would do a good job under that level of expectation.)

Assuming Stevie goes at the end of next season with 3IAR a couple cups and a decent showing in the CL, you’ve got to hope we make an Advocaat-type appointment, someone with a bit of pedigree and experience of winning things. When you’re replacing a successful manager, you want to build on that. I’d imagine at that time, you’d look at who’s won things recently in divisions comparable to our own, and what their euro records are and work from there.

If things fall apart and Stevie leaves with us having not won the league, or having had a poor season. That’s when you look at up and comers.

FWIW I don’t see Beale managing Rangers, it looks to me that if anyone is being primed for it, it’s McAllister. Thomson, Davidson etc would fall into the up and comer bracket as well (and I think each of those would do a good job under that level of expectation.)
Also, to expand on that, if Davidson was managing a provincial side in Portugal/Belgium/Holland and managed to win two cups playing decent football, he would absolutely be on our radar, so perhaps one to consider

Back