Match Thread Faroe Islands v Scotland - sky sports main event 19:45

Genuinely awful, turgid football saved with a bit of magic from Patterson.

Not surprising considering the pish performance on Saturday that was covered up with a last minute goal.

They didn’t, but they did. Just like us when we played Dundee a few weeks back. That’s football, quality pays off and Patterson’s cross was a bit of quality combined with a fortunate finish.

The performance isn’t really important when you win.

I can give you a months notice now that Moldova away will be an equally grim slog, and we’ll also probably just about win it and the playoff will be ours.
Yes but who could we get in the play offs, just because we finish second doesn't mean we will be at the finals.

The result is all that matters here. The Faroes might have a small population but they are well organised and had a few flurries of decent play at points. I think the days of opposition thinking they will just turn up there and batter them 4/5-0 are gone. We weren't great tonight but got the result. If the Faroes play like this most games they will cause a few upsets. Another 3 points, move on to the next one.

Yes but who could we get in the play offs, just because we finish second doesn't mean we will be at the finals.

No, but it gives us a chance.

When was the last time we even got to a playoff for a tournament in the conventional way of finishing 2nd?

Could be wrong but I reckon it was Euro 2004 qualifying.

I don’t recall us finishing in the top 2 of a group since then, which is damning

As far as I can remember scotland have never had it easy in the faroes, even with a far better squad than we have now.

We seemed to play them a lot when they first appeared on the scene, and I don't remember us ever running over them up there.

Good shout.

We've drawn twice (1-1, 2-2) as well as won 2-0 twice. In that 2-2 game, we were 2 down and only got an equaliser in the last 10 minutes through Barry Ferguson.

Looks like he was drinking even more than me during that game

FBhuFuVWQAQquBj

McTominay is a bell end. Seems to think he’s some kind of hard man. You could deck him with a miss.
I think he has been a standout for Scotland recently.
As far as I can remember scotland have never had it easy in the faroes, even with a far better squad than we have now.

We seemed to play them a lot when they first appeared on the scene, and I don't remember us ever running over them up there.
Down 0-2 at half time under Berti Vogts ,and won 3-2 iirc 2002 or 2003

I actually didn't want Patterson to come on with 10 minutes to go. Thank goodness he did. Scotland were gash but the win is what mattered. Watching that tonight also reinforced my dislike of plastic pitches.

Patterson has to be starting every game now, what an assist. Crackin result that.
Gilmour has to be given a lot of credit for that assist too. As soon as Nathan came on he kept feeding it out to him. McTominay had a chance to do similar a few minutes before the goal, but turned around and played a pointless square ball infield.

Patterson and McGregor are both potent attacking weapons for Scotland.
Bearing in mind this is a team that doesn't have decent forwards, it seemed to be a huge gamble to remove useful attacking outlets and replacing them with players who posed less danger.
Needless to say, a fairly toothless team was rendered even more toothless.

Clarke got out of jail on Saturday and tonight he got lucky again, but he really isn't very good.
I would say Nisbet is more than decent. Thing is though Dykes is Clarkes type of striker.

Robertson, McTominay, premiership regulars with huge teams. Wow! Fraser gets a premiership gig. Wow!
Clarke throws on Nathan and Nisbet. 2 young guys to salvage a game.
I've said it before, big McLeish would have been hung drawn and quartered for some of the stuff Clarke has presided over. Strange.

Genuinely awful, turgid football saved with a bit of magic from Patterson.

Not surprising considering the pish performance on Saturday that was covered up with a last minute goal.
We played well for the most part on Saturday, but I agree we were awful tonight.

We do seem to be carrying a bit of luck at the minute so let's see if that carries forward into the playoffs, should we make it there...

That’s true that we’ve struggled there before. The current squad is perfectly decent though. We should be so much better than we are.

A draw tonight and he still wouldn't have walked or been pushed. Nathan has saved them there with a cracking ball in, expecting the Moldova game to be equally as turgid

Gilmour has to be given a lot of credit for that assist too. As soon as Nathan came on he kept feeding it out to him. McTominay had a chance to do similar a few minutes before the goal, but turned around and played a pointless square ball infield.
Was the same at weekend Patterson was awful for 45 mins but he had no help out there at all. Second half Gilmour kept coming right and the play between the two was fantastic.

No, but it gives us a chance.

When was the last time we even got to a playoff for a tournament in the conventional way of finishing 2nd?

Could be wrong but I reckon it was Euro 2004 qualifying.

I don’t recall us finishing in the top 2 of a group since then, which is damning
You're right it's damming but it seems like we finish second and we are there already, the press in Scotland are most to blame for this, all I say is not get carried away, second is what we should finish in this group but hopefully its not a glorious failure at the end.

Huge win but it would take a miracle to win a playoff then a final playoff. Can’t see it happening
The other advantage of winning tonight is it massively increases the chances of a home play off in the semi finals against one of the weaker 2nd placed sides.

That increases the chances of making the final play off and then who knows from there, but I agree the chances remain slim at the moment.

Great to be in with a shout for the first time in what feels like ages

I actually didn't want Patterson to come on with 10 minutes to go. Thank goodness he did. Scotland were gash but the win is what mattered. Watching that tonight also reinforced my dislike of plastic pitches.
To be fair, the pitch seemed a lot better than than the plastic pitches we have to play on in Scotland, but in general, yes, agreed. But do I hate VAR more than plastic pitches? A tough call.

Robertson, McTominay, premiership regulars with huge teams. Wow! Fraser gets a premiership gig. Wow!
Clarke throws on Nathan and Nisbet. 2 young guys to salvage a game.
I've said it before, big McLeish would have been hung drawn and quartered for some of the stuff Clarke has presided over. Strange.
Fraser was poor, what was Clarke thinking?

Boyd saying what I'd say, Fraser did nothing on that right side all night, don't even think he beat a man at all either

I was annoyed he didn’t start but understood why given his first half at the weekend. Seeing Fraser do nothing for 45 minutes should have made him our first sub. At HT. The one good ball we put in all night. Took him, what, 3 minutes? A potent Scotland has Nathan Patterson in the team.

%^*&! Didn't watch the game, read through later part of thread and thought Patterson had scored the winner...an assist is okay mind.

Will watch later.

Good shout.

We've drawn twice (1-1, 2-2) as well as won 2-0 twice. In that 2-2 game, we were 2 down and only got an equaliser in the last 10 minutes through Barry Ferguson.
A couple of draws certainly stood out in my mind, the 2-2 game especially.

That was the faroes just starting out and as I said we had a far better squad then. They're obviously improving, so I don't see where the idea of going there and having a nice easy win is coming from.

Winning was all that mattered but by God we were lucky.
Wrong team to start with, should be 2 down, slow to make substitutions, team far too deep and yet we stagger over line.
Maybe Clarke is a lucky manager - always better than good.

Back