Pedri (Barcelona) on verge of new contract

It's £1bn so that no one ever activates it. There is not a chance in hell that someone is paying £1bn for any player, let alone Pedri.

He's very good and only 18 but they're just protecting their asset. It's all the can do now as they no longer have buying power.

All its intended to do is put Barca in charge of any transfer

They hold all the cards unless someone is stupid enough to cough up a billion bucks

He’s a great young player, Barca just need to appoint the right manager because they’ve got a good crop of young players coming through. They’ve got Koeman the now but he’s a dinosaur nowadays. There’s been rumblings of them appointing xavi as manager which could work.

A mess of a club but if they appoint the right people(they probably won’t) then there is a way out of the mess they are in.

He’s an absolutely outstanding talent.

Wouldn’t read too much into the release clause. No one is ever triggering it and I doubt Barcelona have the finances to be able to reject a very attractive bid, should a club ever make one?

as much as Barca as a club are a shambles atm they do have some ridiculous youngsters coming through.

Fati
Pedri
Gavi
Puig
Moriba
They’ll need to appoint the correct manager if they want to get anything from them though. Koeman is not the right man for Barca at all.

Are release clauses mandatory in Spain?

I've always wondered why they just don't include them?
It's actually general Spanish labour law. All employees are able to buy themselves out of their work contract if they so desire, regardless of if they're a football player, a receptionist or a train driver. Legally, the employer has to set an amount related to the value of the overall contract at the start of employment. You get a lot more fixed term contracts in Spain than you do here, owing to the economy being historically more seasonal.

Not a part of UK law (or others), so any talk about release clauses outside of Spain are normally just press inventions.

However, the release clause is between the PLAYER and the CLUB only. So when a club activates a release clause, it's actually the buying club giving the player the money in their bank account to do this. Pretty sure this genuinely happened with Javi Martinez at Bayern years ago and Neymar too; the player themself has to pay it!

It's actually general Spanish labour law. All employees are able to buy themselves out of their work contract if they so desire, regardless of if they're a football player, a receptionist or a train driver. Legally, the employer has to set an amount related to the value of the overall contract at the start of employment. You get a lot more fixed term contracts in Spain than you do here, owing to the economy being historically more seasonal.

Not a part of UK law (or others), so any talk about release clauses outside of Spain are normally just press inventions.

However, the release clause is between the PLAYER and the CLUB only. So when a club activates a release clause, it's actually the buying club giving the player the money in their bank account to do this. Pretty sure this genuinely happened with Javi Martinez at Bayern years ago and Neymar too; the player themself has to pay it!

I was going to say that about the law.

In Neymar transfer it was sent to his lawyers and then his lawyers went to the league offices to be turned away at first. Only until legal action was threatened they backed down.

I’m surprised it hasn’t became more common throughout football.

I’m also sure Carlos Cuellar’s contract had one and that’s how Villa ended up getting cheaply.

They’ll need to appoint the correct manager if they want to get anything from them though. Koeman is not the right man for Barca at all.
I tend to agree - but they are not in the position to attract the sort of manager they need ... at this rate they will be doing well to get into CL this season.

as much as Barca as a club are a shambles atm they do have some ridiculous youngsters coming through.

Fati
Pedri
Gavi
Puig
Moriba

Moriba left for Leipzig, Barca fucked him about and pursued expensive deals for Aguero etc when they should’ve tied him down.

I tend to agree - but they are not in the position to attract the sort of manager they need ... at this rate they will be doing well to get into CL this season.
There’s been rumours they are looking at xavi who’s style of play has apparently impressed in Qatar. Similar to the Barca tiki taka style.

He was asking for £100,000 a week tbf

Compared to what they are/were paying some of the duds on their books, not entrirely unreasonable for a guy that could’ve been in their midfield for the next 10+ years.

Back