Hibs ending all Match Programmes (including digital)

Ferrybear73

My Hibee mate (Yes I know, I have a Hibee mate !), has just made me aware Hibs are stopping producing these as from now.

They did not even consult their fans and are using some feeble excuses, such as environmental reasons. (They will not even be publishing a digital programme as a fall back, but have said they will publish a quarterly magazine).

What are your views on this and how would you feel if Rangers went down this road ?

Written Publications

That starts with our matchday programme. We used the international break to analyse the readership, downloads, and purchases of each edition and have made a decision to no longer continue with these in their current format.

We do, however, understand that there is a section of our supporters, currently and historically, that like to purchase written publications from us. With this in mind, we’ve come up with an alternative and will produce a 100-page quarterly magazine.

The magazine will attempt to bring you closer to the club, our players, our staff, and aim to give you a great insight into Hibernian FC.

We aspire to print the first edition in January 2022 and we will provide all supporters who have purchased the printed programmes so far this season, from Curtis Sport, the first one free of charge.

More details on the quarterly magazine will be released in due course.

Equally, we will produce a number of new features on hibernianfc.co.uk, so make sure you check that out! We’re hoping that it’ll provide you with all your content needs ahead of a matchday.

Will be a simple matter of economics, I'm sure.

They won't be making enough profit on them to keep them going.

I think in the days of social media, internet forums and 24-7 news there's no real need for a match day programme in all honesty.

Obviously there's folk that collect them and enjoy the tradition but I don't think I've bought a Rangers programme since I was a wean so I wouldn't bat an eye lid if we stopped production tbh.

I wouldn't want us to stop if they're a good money-maker though. If the sales mean we need to consider it though, then that's fine by me either way.
Ah well as long as its ok with you we'll do it then...

Programmes are absolutely gash anyway. Only good for a collection

My Hibee mate (Yes I know, I have a Hibee mate !), has just made me aware Hibs are stopping producing these as from now.

They did not even consult their fans and are using some feeble excuses, such as environmental reasons. (They will not even be publishing a digital programme as a fall back, but have said they will publish a quarterly magazine).

What are your views on this and how would you feel if Rangers went down this road ?
At price we are charging I wouldn't be sad to see them go

I can remember the days when you bought a programme to find out who was in the team, both teams actually.

The programmes must have been printed the day of the match or maybe the day before.

Half time scores were put up with a letter or number beside them and you needed a programme to know which match was which.

Also each programme had a lucky number. Drawn at half time.

Happy days!

:D

Will be a simple matter of economics, I'm sure.

They won't be making enough profit on them to keep them going.

I think in the days of social media, internet forums and 24-7 news there's no real need for a match day programme in all honesty.

Obviously there's folk that collect them and enjoy the tradition but I don't think I've bought a Rangers programme since I was a wean so I wouldn't bat an eye lid if we stopped production tbh.

I wouldn't want us to stop if they're a good money-maker though. If the sales mean we need to consider it though, then that's fine by me either way.
Fair enough points m8. I think Hibs have basically decided, for purely financial reasons, to do away with match day programmes. As one of the bigger clubs in Scotland though, I am surprised by this. Even small clubs and some junior clubs produce programmes.

Cant be many left who collect to make it worthwhile producing them
That guy who is opposite the Main stand on matchdays is always busy, and he sells programmes from loads of different clubs..there was a time I'd buy Chelsea and Lingfield programmes from him.

I used to love programmes when I was younger and now have some collection (including every game home and away from the four years in the lower leagues) but like newspapers, they are dated and are becoming a thing of the past.

I've never been a fan of football programmes. They're always filled with boring, bland clichés and stuff we already know. Fanzines were far better.
I used to buy Fanzines, but they have unsurprisingly, died a death, due largely social media.

Numbers are artificially higher because they’ve tempted people with mygers points

I bought about 15 for the points but all got fired straight in the bin

What made you that desperate for 15 points? Just curious.

Unless you were 15 points below a tier and absolutely dying to move up. But still seems a bit nuts in all honesty!!

As a traditionalist, it’s a real shame. I’d be interested in the age demographic of those buying programmes. I wouldn’t imagine too many youngsters pester their parents for one so they’ll undoubtedly be on the decline. I rarely buy one now, I bought every one for our home games in the 3rd division as a kind of ‘this could be a good memory one day’ type thing.

What made you that desperate for 15 points? Just curious.

Unless you were 15 points below a tier and absolutely dying to move up. But still seems a bit nuts in all honesty!!
@Valley Bluenose told me if bought them I’d be closer to the top of gold so I listened to the wise man

I was about 60 points off maximum so turned into a total virgin and bought programmes for points. Very silly in hindsight

As a traditionalist, it’s a real shame. I’d be interested in the age demographic of those buying programmes. I wouldn’t imagine too many youngsters pester their parents for one so they’ll undoubtedly be on the decline. I rarely buy one now, I bought every one for our home games in the 3rd division as a kind of ‘this could be a good memory one day’ type thing.
I'm 48 m8, I still buy a programme, even at away games. I agree it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown. Perhaps in years to come, programmes may only be published for big games or cup fjnals I suspect. I would personally find that a shame.

I'm 48 m8, I still buy a programme, even at away games. I agree it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown. Perhaps in years to come, programmes may only be published for big games or cup fjnals I suspect. I would personally find that a shame.
Yeh I’m 42, and in my early years of attending matches loved getting a programme. I was a football geek though and loved reading the Rothmans Football Yearbook as well. As others have said, kids these days can get their football fix from the internet, FIFA ultimate team etc.
The relentless March of ‘progress’ makes it inevitable they’ll disappear at some point, same as the Rangers News and those Saturday teatime football papers!

I know the hibs fan that owns almondvale programmes decent guy

Yeh I’m 42, and in my early years of attending matches loved getting a programme. I was a football geek though and loved reading the Rothmans Football Yearbook as well. As others have said, kids these days can get their football fix from the internet, FIFA ultimate team etc.
The relentless March of ‘progress’ makes it inevitable they’ll disappear at some point, same as the Rangers News and those Saturday teatime football papers!
I used to love the Sports pink papers too ! :)

Are programmes a British thing?

I’ve been to games in Europe, Spain and Italy mainly, and it isn’t a thing. I can remember heading to the Stadio Olimpico in Rome for Lazio v Juve and asking my mate Pino where I could get a programme and he looked at me as if ‘what do you mean?’

Souvenirs for big games, cup finals and tournaments I kinda get, but in reality you are just making a donation to the club in essence aren’t you?

Are programmes a British thing?

I’ve been to games in Europe, Spain and Italy mainly, and it isn’t a thing. I can remember heading to the Stadio Olimpico in Rome for Lazio v Juve and asking my mate Pino where I could get a programme and he looked at me as if ‘what do you mean?’

Souvenirs for big games, cup finals and tournaments I kinda get, but in reality you are just making a donation to the club in essence aren’t you?
I know in Spain some teams used to give away free programmes in the stadiums. It's certainly not as big culturally on the continent as it is in the UK.

Back