Potential Future Manager

Having re-read my initial post, nowhere can I find anything suggesting that because Lampard may have 'spoken well' of Rangers in the past that this would in any way qualify him to be a future Rangers manager. There is in fact, no connection between the first sentence in my post and the observation that followed.
You quoted my post where I said he has done nothing to show he would be any good and opened your argument with the 'tbf' nonsense.

You followed that up with the 'observation' that he has perhaps learned his lessons.

Solid reasoning. Well argued points.

Sign the man up, let's not miss our chance.

Some of the replies on here are absolutely mental.

Xabi Alonso is an interesting one, although I'm not sure he'd fancy it.

I threw his name out because he's very highly rated in Spain. Likely dependant on the future succession plans at Real Sociedad, where he currently manages their B Team. He could see the trajectory Gerrard has had here and fancy it. Wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

So hang on a minute, I thought that was perhaps the best argument for a Lampard appointment?

Now he has to do it somewhere else?
Yes, if he succeeded as manager elsewhere at a decent level, then yes, he possibly could be considered as a future Rangers manager. This isn't - or shouldn't be - a hard concept to grasp.

Rebrov has impressed me as a manager, I wouldn’t mind if we went for him.

I can attest, he did a fantastic job at Ferencváros and Dynamo Kyiv prior to that. He was angling for the Ukraine job recently but when that didn't happen he ended up in the UAE.

Definitely someone we should be looking at. Europa League qualification and then Champions League qualification in his time at Ferencváros, on a much smaller scale budget than we have.

Yes, if he succeeded as manager elsewhere at a decent level, then yes, he possibly could be considered as a future Rangers manager. This isn't - or shouldn't be - a hard concept to grasp.
You are going round in circles here and now at the starting point of another argument and passing it off as your own original point.

Enjoy your night.

The shouts for Callum Davidson are mind-boggling.

It's akin to those who were calling for McInnes last time round.

Appoint a Davidson and be prepared for loads of our players contacting their agents and putting in transfer requests. And rightly so.
I reckon there's more chance of a Pokémon getting the job than there is of Calum Davidson. Then again some of these board members appointed Pedro, a guy who could barely speak English.

McLeish that took us to the last 16 of the Champions League that one and only time we've been there?
What counted against McLeish was the fact we were downsizing.

We had absolutely dominated Scottish football under Smith (and were arguably the biggest club in the UK in the early 90s) and spent big under Advocaat.

McLeish came in at the same time we had to tighten our belts financially and, unfairly on him, it all felt rather like after the lord mayor’s show.

Coming from Hibs, he wasn’t seen as an exciting or ‘sexy’ appointment. But he gave us two of the most exciting title wins in our history, two Scottish Cups, three League Cups and got us to the last 16 of the CL - the only time we’ve achieved that since the CL featured a last 16 stage.

Davidson could absolutely do a good job for us.

We should also remember that Man Utd’s most successful boss was poached from Aberdeen, and had been sacked by St Mirren prior to that.

So we shouldn’t be afraid of hiring managers who have only been at clubs smaller than us.

Can’t see it being another rookie, we were in a pretty desperate situation when Gerrard was appointed. We should hopefully be a more stable, attractive option for decent managers by the time Gerrard leaves. Plus there aren’t many rookies with the gravitas of Stevie G!

We should have a list though as Gerrard is almost certainly closer to the end of his reign than the beginning of it.

It won’t be the next appointment but we should be looking to develop our own coaches within. To have the best in the country training our players but also promote to head coach if they show potential.

I can’t see it being Beale, unfortunately. Glad it’s down to Wilson rather than the board to compile the list.

Came to this thread late and this has 45 likes.
No Diss, just wondering if you, or one of the people agreeing with you, could lay out your reasoning on this.
Just interested in why this is a popular opinion.
Surprised me.
Mainly because last season he really impressed winning two trophies with st Johnstone in one season. Beating us on there way to one as well. He done this on a tiny budget and has shown he can set up a good team that can play decent football. Obviously it would be a step up if he came to us but if he’s a good manager then he’ll be able to make the step up. Another positive is that he does know our game as well which is a positive in that he wouldn’t need to adapt as much.

Nah he should be doing far better with the England squad he currently has. Shouldn’t be going anywhere near him. Tactically he’s clueless and probably the reason why England won’t win anything with him as manager.
Only missed out in winning European championships
he was good in world cup semi-final and great with media just like s Gerrard

Only missed out in winning European championships
he was good in world cup semi-final and great with media just like s Gerrard
He’s been carried by the squad he has. In both tournaments he’s been extremely lucky with who he came up against. The first good manager he came up against was Italy, he couldn’t come up with a good game plan at all to beat them. England should have won the euros they had all the advantage and they’ll come no where near winning the World Cup given there’s so many better teams now than last time.

He’s been carried by the squad he has. In both tournaments he’s been extremely lucky with who he came up against. The first good manager he came up against was Italy, he couldn’t come up with a good game plan at all to beat them. England should have won the euros they had all the advantage and they’ll come no where near winning the World Cup given there’s so many better teams now than last time.
beat Croatia Denmark Germany alll great teams also good manager s
Italy only beat them on penalties
my first choice was Rino Guttosa ( hope i spelt his name correct)

Nah he should be doing far better with the England squad he currently has. Shouldn’t be going anywhere near him. Tactically he’s clueless and probably the reason why England won’t win anything with him as manager.
Far better ?
A World Cup semi ? And a euros final ? Arguably better than any international manager from the UK ever in the small space of time he’s had.

They got beat on penalties
Tactically it was a stalemate

Far better ?
A World Cup semi ? And a euros final ? Arguably better than any international manager from the UK ever in the small space of time he’s had.
Yeah mate he should be doing better with one of the best number 9’s in the world(who for some reason he wants him to drop into midfield). Then you have Sandro, grealish, mount, foden, Bellingham. Then in defence they have the best right back in the world in TAA( he doesn’t play him for some strange reason), maguire and stones who both played really well last year. Then shaw who was one of the best left backs in the world last year.

He should have done far better with the squad he had. With that squad he should be winning the euros. The current England team has better quality all over the pitch than the so called ‘golden generation’

beat Croatia Denmark Germany alll great teams also good manager s
Italy only beat them on penalties
my first choice was Rino Guttosa ( hope i spelt his name correct)
Germany when he faced them were not a great team at all, they were a team at the end of a cycle with a manager. The current Germany under flick would win easily over England. Again Croatia aren’t a great team, they were at the peak of there abilities in the World Cup and Southgate couldn’t beat them. Denmark is the only decent team he has beat, wouldn’t class them as a good team because I don’t think they have the quality to win the euros or World Cup.

Callum Davidson, would be a great manager imo
I don't think the support would mind this and definitely has the right mindset to slot in but I'm not sure he has been around a team like ours enough to understand 100% that it takes a different sort of pressure to be in charge of us. Would prefer he did a stint in the management team before taking over fully.

Germany when he faced them were not a great team at all, they were a team at the end of a cycle with a manager. The current Germany under flick would win easily over England. Again Croatia aren’t a great team, they were at the peak of there abilities in the World Cup and Southgate couldn’t beat them. Denmark is the only decent team he has beat, wouldn’t class them as a good team because I don’t think they have the quality to win the euros or World Cup.
Crotia are a good team and England make Germany look poor
Also beat s excellent Czechoslovakia team
the point is Southgate is a good manager and i won't say no to him being the next Rangers manager but don't think it will happen

Just a thought that his career is being managed to prepare him for the top job. A spell coaching at the club followed by him learning management skills at a lower league club, maybe another, a return to the management team and ultimately the top job. Let's be honest we are going to continue to struggle to attract managers of Gerard's caliber and we need to develop our own. Remember that Sir Alex started his managerial career at East Stirling

Just a thought that his career is being managed to prepare him for the top job. A spell coaching at the club followed by him learning management skills at a lower league club, maybe another, a return to the management team and ultimately the top job. Let's be honest we are going to continue to struggle to attract managers of Gerard's caliber and we need to develop our own. Remember that Sir Alex started his managerial career at East Stirling
Kevin thomson will not attract the calibre of player we need at our club.
Maybe a number 2 under a big name, at best.

Mick Beale. Gerardo Seoane. Xabi Alonso.

Seoane is a really interesting one I could see him going on to real big things soon.

Back