Edmiston Drive being resurfaced at last

Tbh, the whole area in front of our Main Stand should be pedestrianised, there is no need for vehicle movement along it, it's only used as a short cut onto PRW, or from it.

Obviously on match days a facility would need to be put in place for team coaches etc, but outwith that, why is Edmiston Drive still being use a thoroughfare.

It would have been better to make it a single carriageway and make the pavement far bigger.
I remember a meeting between RST members and Gilligan and Robertson years ago and them saying they were trying to pursue this with the council.

Surprise, surprise it seems to have been rejected - they’ve no issues cutting roads and flinging cycle lanes all over the city though.

Tbh, the whole area in front of our Main Stand should be pedestrianised, there is no need for vehicle movement along it, it's only used as a short cut onto PRW, or from it.

Obviously on match days a facility would need to be put in place for team coaches etc, but outwith that, why is Edmiston Drive still being use a thoroughfare.
It soon will be pedestrianised with VERY VERY special access out with

There was a large marble slab before the entrance to the main door at Ibrox long time ago. Can't find much history to it but it was a feature to the entrance when the Stand was built. Also there was no extended through road to Broomloan Road at that time.

If I recall correctly the last time the road was resurfaced was the Commonwealth games in July 2014.
I remember saying we get a road resurfaced & that mob at the piggery get plenty out the games.

If I recall correctly the last time the road was resurfaced was the Commonwealth games in July 2014.
I remember saying we get a road resurfaced & that mob at the piggery get plenty out the games.
I think we got our pitch resurfaced after the games it was tore to shreds with the rugby

Looks like they got a team of ‘tar your drive mister’ pikeys in to do it. Couple of potholes in it already.

I assume you are not overly familiar with the roads in the area around the Ibrox area. It’s an A class road and is the main thoroughfare for the emergency services.

It would suit me for it to be pedestrianised but you have to bear in mind that we use it about once a fortnight (a wee bit more), and it is closed at those times, whereas people are using it as a road every day.

It would suit me for it to be pedestrianised but you have to bear in mind that we use it about once a fortnight (a wee bit more), and it is closed at those times, whereas people are using it as a road every day.
It would be nice, however the chances of them doubling the traffic into an area with housing and having large diverersions so we can pedestrianise a bit of road with no housing on it to keep a few rangers fans happy 20 odd days a year is negligible

It would be nice, however the chances of them doubling the traffic into an area with housing and having large diverersions so we can pedestrianise a bit of road with no housing on it to keep a few rangers fans happy 20 odd days a year is negligible
Could they not work with Rangers by selling us the Ibrox complex, we could then reconfigure the pitch layout to move the road over and allow the current city direction to be pedestrianised?
Yes I know it's expecting a lot from an snp council.

I just drove down it there and if that’s it finished then it’s a shambles. It’s better but no way the same basic standard resurfaced roads should probably be.

Said to the wife when we were down at mygers today, shocking finish.
Full of wee tiny bits of gravel.
Not tarred properly.
Whoever did that should be feathered.

Could they not work with Rangers by selling us the Ibrox complex, we could then reconfigure the pitch layout to move the road over and allow the current city direction to be pedestrianised?
Yes I know it's expecting a lot from an snp council.
That would involve knocking down the school, moving the main road onto a small residential street and not building all the social housing earmarked for the other end of the street.
It is just not going to happen.
People don’t want a main road moved onto their street, everyone in the area here would object if it went to planning and it would be rightly chucked out.
If the council said they wanted to reroute a main road to run right by your house what would you say?

Drove past the ground at tea time. I think that’s still a work in progress, there is no way that job is finished.

Drove past the ground at tea time. I think that’s still a work in progress, there is no way that job is finished.
Think that’s it, they never planed the top surface, just skimmed over the top leaving the ironwork lower than the surface. As Tommy S would say ‘it’s a disaster’

Should be made a single carriageway with the eastbound side of the road (closest to the main stand) "pedestrianised" imo.

That would involve knocking down the school, moving the main road onto a small residential street and not building all the social housing earmarked for the other end of the street.
It is just not going to happen.
People don’t want a main road moved onto their street, everyone in the area here would object if it went to planning and it would be rightly chucked out.
If the council said they wanted to reroute a main road to run right by your house what would you say?
I was thinking more moving one lane over from the school up to the other end of the main stand. Rather than a carriage way it could be an ordinary road and the Ibrox complex would still be in between the road and the housing.

I was thinking more moving one lane over from the school up to the other end of the main stand. Rather than a carriage way it could be an ordinary road and the Ibrox complex would still be in between the road and the housing.
I would say that could be feasible to make it a standard bit of road, the traffic on the A8 is nowhere near the levels of pre motorway.
Any ideas of totally pedestrianisation however are pie in the sky.

Why does it need to be pedestrianised on any day other than a match day?

It really isn’t, they haven’t redone the road they have merely skimmed it with a wee layer of tar to patch it

Parked on it yesterday when at the training event.

Probably one of the worse resurface jobs I’ve seen.

Thin layer of tar put straight on top of old surface.

Crumbling at edges already!

Parked on it yesterday when at the training event.

Probably one of the worse resurface jobs I’ve seen.

Thin layer of tar put straight on top of old surface.

Crumbling at edges already!
Got to agree with several posters the the surfacing is not up to standard for this road. It is still an A Class road ( roads can be declassified) and fronts a listed building and prime destination. Compare all the surrounding residential street around Ibrox and the continuation of the A Class route PRW Edmiston Drive and Shieldhall Road all surfaced with Asphalt. What we have outside Ibrox is a spray and chip surface like cheap wallpaper on cracked walls. I'm hoping it's a temporary surface but have doubts. Why is the cheapest of surfaces outside Ibrox and of course the finished workmanship can be seen on attached some pics from Sat.

Last edited:
Got to

Got to agree with several posters the the surfacing is not up to standard for this road. It is still an A Class road ( roads can be declassified) and fronts a listed building and prime destination. Compare all the surrounding residential street around Ibrox and the continuation of the A Class route PRW Edmiston Drive and Shieldhall Road all surfaced with Asphalt. What we have outside Ibrox is a spray and chip surface like cheap wallpaper on cracked walls. I'm hoping it's a temporary surface but have doubts. Why is the cheapest of surfaces outside Ibrox and of course the finished workmanship can be seen on attached some pics from Sat.

Was it the council who carried out the job? If it was near Parkhead it would be the best materials going.

It doesn’t. It would be a monumental waste of money.
Edmiston Drive is effectively pedestrianised from when the Police barricade is put in place - no traffic allowed and fans can walk freely. It doesn't need to be a formal dual carriageway to deal with the daily traffic flow compared to Copland and Broomloan Roads. The northside cw could be pedestrianised with facility to allow special or abnormal traffic if required. All that is required is the will of GCC :confused: and probably ££input from Rangers

Was it the council who carried out the job? If it was near Parkhead it would be the best materials going.
I agree. It is a public A Class road and the Council are responsible for the maintenance of the surface and the type of surface regardless of whether their own DLO or Contracted out. If it was done by a Utility as part of covering up say new water main then they must resurface with the same as original. Which as you can see it isn't and again the Council would be responsible - as example see attached from 2008 and 2017
https://postimg.cc/vxFXcvr3
https://postimg.cc/D8Vyw4t0

Back