Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Both, but the James St version was coming to a finish, when I was in there a few times circa 1977.

The Keystane was the greatest pub for me. In that North East corner with Auld Bain and Brad.
I’m ten or so earlier, 18th, 21st, and stag.
Effie was still in firm control.
There was a waitress in James st during all these times.
By now we had married/moved away.
Old firm game at park head, we go into Landressy st up to the bar, and she is there.
” hi boys, how are ye doin” as if we were in the night before.
Her daughter was working there as well.
Happy memories of Walkers, Regent ( before name changes) seven ways.

Did big Eck not have an extremely poor run against them as well. Not as bad as the two we mentioned though.
Definitely had one horrific season mate, where we'd a losing run of league and cup games.
Let's not forget, when McLeish took over the reigns from the Wee Dick, Rangers had lost FIVE consecutive games to the Filth, and looked incapable of ever getting a result in that fixture.
McLeish turned that stat around immediately, going undefeated in the next 6 games v Them,
which included a League Cup Semi Final, a Scottish Cup Final, and a League Cup Final.

Last edited:
Let's not forget, when McLeish took over the reigns from the Wee Dick, Rangers had lost FIVE consecutive games to the Filth, and looked incapable of ever getting a result in that fixture.
McLeish turned that stat around immediately, going undefeated in the next 6 games v Them,
which included a League Cup Semi Final, a Scottish Cup Final, and a League Cup Final.

He also won a Treble, which is sometimes overlooked, in comparison to our other Trebles imo.

W
I’m ten or so earlier, 18th, 21st, and stag.
Effie was still in firm control.
There was a waitress in James st during all these times.
By now we had married/moved away.
Old firm game at park head, we go into Landressy st up to the bar, and she is there.
” hi boys, how are ye doin” as if we were in the night before.
Her daughter was working there as well.
Happy memories of Walkers, Regent ( before name changes) seven ways.
Would that be Sandra?

I know he's one of the ECWC Barcelona legends, but I can never think of him the same way as I do the other 10 in that team.

It's petty, and no doubt vindictive, but I don't like seeing his name in our Hall of Fame. Even though by playing in 1972 he obviously should be in it.
I always respect your views @dh1963. I was heartbroken when Alfie Conn left Ibrox for Spurs. There is no need for me to describe my feelings when he signed for them.

However as you know, Alfie Conn was a very important player for us in the early 1970’s and played in some never to be forgotten games. Do I understand the reasons why he signed for Celtic : obviously not and I understand the bitterness to him from some of our support. However he played for us in Barcelona and we cannot and should not change that. He deserves his place in the Hall of Fame.

I know Conn played in a Cup Final for them against us and a number of other games. I do not remember him really hurting us on the park and I saw all his games for them against us.

However, revenge is best served cold and it was served up ice cold in the shape of Maurice Johnston.

I always respect your views @dh1963. I was heartbroken when Alfie Conn left Ibrox for Spurs. There is no need for me to describe my feelings when he signed for them.

However as you know, Alfie Conn was a very important player for us in the early 1970’s and played in some never to be forgotten games. Do I understand the reasons why he signed for Celtic : obviously not and I understand the bitterness to him from some of our support. However he played for us in Barcelona and we cannot and should not change that. He deserves his place in the Hall of Fame.

I know Conn played in a Cup Final for them against us and a number of other games. I do not remember him really hurting us on the park and I saw all his games for them against us.

However, revenge is best served cold and it was served up ice cold in the shape of Maurice Johnston.
I get all that and agree with every word.

But there way Alfie's contribution to Rangers outside May 24th 1972 would get him within 100 miles of the Hall of Fame. Of course, I remember his last minute headed winner v them at New Year 1973, and his goal in the cup final against them later that year.

League titles 0.
Scottish Cups 1.
League Cups 0.
Only a few years a regular, and probably no more than 100 starts.

Barcelona is the one and only reason he is in the HoF, and I know it's a very good one. But apart from that glorious night, I don't think he contributed any more to the glory of Rangers than Alec Cleland!

I get all that and agree with every word.

But there way Alfie's contribution to Rangers outside May 24th 1972 would get him within 100 miles of the Hall of Fame. Of course, I remember his last minute headed winner v them at New Year 1973, and his goal in the cup final against them later that year.

League titles 0.
Scottish Cups 1.
League Cups 0.
Only a few years a regular, and probably no more than 100 starts.

Barcelona is the one and only reason he is in the HoF, and I know it's a very good one. But apart from that glorious night, I don't think he contributed any more to the glory of Rangers than Alec Cleland!
Alfie Conn also played in the 1970 League Cup Final winning team. I don’t know the reason why Conn left us for Spurs but we did not replace him with a better player and it made us weaker in 1973-74. However it is the forum and I respect the full spectrum of views particularly regarding the divisive figure that is Alfie Conn.

This must be from around 1985. Must be a senior 7-a-side Rangers team. Anyone remember the occasion or who they played?

gn20.png
Never seen this one before, cracker

Alfie Conn also played in the 1970 League Cup Final winning team. I don’t know the reason why Conn left us for Spurs but we did not replace him with a better player and it made us weaker in 1973-74. However it is the forum and I respect the full spectrum of views particularly regarding the divisive figure that is Alfie Conn.
You make a very good point about us being weaker in the 73-74 campaign, compared to the previous season (72-73), but Alfie Conn was still at Rangers for the entire 73-74 campaign, and didn't join Spurs until July 1974.

Also, with all due respect, but for injuries to John Greig (1970) and Colin Jackson (1972), it is unlikely that Conn would have made the starting line up in either the 1970 League Cup Final, or the 1972 ECWC Final.

You make a very good point about us being weaker in the 73-74 campaign, compared to the previous season (72-73), but Alfie Conn was still at Rangers for the entire 73-74 campaign, and didn't join Spurs until July 1974.

Also, with all due respect, but for injuries to John Greig (1970) and Colin Jackson (1972), it is unlikely that Conn would have made the starting line up in either the 1970 League Cup Final, or the 1972 ECWC Final.
Point noted re 1973-74 although I seem to remember Ally Scott being signed from Queens Park and playing in a position that Alfie Conn had filled in the previous couple of seasons. Whether that was due to Conn being injured or a falling out, I am taking the Nicola Sturgeon route and say I cannot remember.

With all due respect, the fact that Alfie Conn may or may not have played in either finals because of injuries to John Greig and Colin Jackson is not really relevant. I can see the positional change to cover John Greig’s injury but less so re Colin Jackson’s as possibly big DJ would have been sitting on the bench if the Bomber was fit or would the Bomber have even been playing in later rounds if Ronnie McKinnon not broken his leg against Sporting Lisbon. The fact that he (Conn) was picked for those games meant that Waddell was of the opinion he was able to play and Conn stepped up when called upon.

As I said before, I did not understand Alfie Conn’s decision to sign for Celtic. I do understand that a lot of our support have no time for him now because he signed for them but we and Alfie Conn cannot change history. He played for us at a time when we were still struggling domestically until the second part of season 72-73 but he was an important part of our side in the early 1970’s. So, imo, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for his career with us and playing in three critically important Finals. If others think otherwise, then they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Edited due to bad grammar and an extra thought.

Last edited:
Re Alfie Conn signing for them, I read a while back that he claimed that he'd always wanted to play under Jock Stein and when the opportunity arose he took it. It seems a pretty anemic excuse and he obviously gave no thought that in joining them he'd be burning his bridges with us.

Given that Stein was well practised in the dark arts, the thought of getting one over us wouldn't have been far from his thinking.

Alfie Conn worked behind the bar of the Louden in Duke Street and other than the inevitable banter, I'm told he didn't get much hassle, other than from one chap who refused to be served by him.

Re Alfie Conn signing for them, I read a while back that he claimed that he'd always wanted to play under Jock Stein and when the opportunity arose he took it. It seems a pretty anemic excuse and he obviously gave no thought that in joining them he'd be burning his bridges with us.

Given that Stein was well practised in the dark arts, the thought of getting one over us wouldn't have been far from his thinking.

Alfie Conn worked behind the bar of the Louden in Duke Street and other than the inevitable banter, I'm told he didn't get much hassle, other than from one chap who refused to be served by him.
I've only read that one recently and that was in Doddie's book. But ee said he'd have had to give a move serious thought if there had been a bid made for him at the time by Stein. Obviously not the words he used.

As for getting one over us? They all were loving it at the time regards Conn.

But when the roles were reversed 12 years later, Billy eight fingers was angry beyond belief. Even years later he didn't want to talk about it.

We can do what we want but don't dare do it to us.

Point noted re 1973-74 although I seem to remember Ally Scott being signed from Queens Park and playing in a position that Alfie Conn had filled in the previous couple of seasons. Whether that was due to Conn being injured or a falling out, I am taking the Nicola Sturgeon route and say I cannot remember.

With all due respect, the fact that Alfie Conn may or may not have played in either finals because of injuries to John Greig and Colin Jackson is not really relevant. I can see the positional change to cover John Greig’s injury but less so re Colin Jackson’s as possibly big DJ would have been sitting on the bench if the Bomber was fit. The fact that he was picked for those games meant that Waddell was of the opinion he was able to play sand Conn stepped up when called upon.

As I said before, I did not understand Alfie Conn’s decision to sign for Celtic. I do understand that a lot of our support have no time for him now because he signed for them but we and Alfie Conn cannot change history. He played for us at a time when we were still struggling domestically but he was an important part of our side, in my memory, in the early 1970’s. So, imo, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. If others think otherwise, then they are perfectly entitled to do so.
I'm not sure why Conn seemed to fall out of favour, or if indeed he was carrying an injury in that 73-74 season either, but Wallace was using guys like Johnny Hamilton, Doug Houston and Alex O'Hara at the expense of Conn, who only got 16 starts the whole season.

As for ECWC Final, I'm pretty sure Johnstone would have started at Inside Right,
as he had done in both Semi Finals and Quarter Finals.
The forward line for all 4 CWC games prior to the Final was,
McLean, Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald and Johnston.
I think even Conn was surprised to get that call up, I think most people expected Andy Penman or Derek Parlane to get the nod for that Final.
But like you say, that cannot take anything away from Conn, who was picked, did a good job, and deserves his place as 1 of the 11 who brought us our European Trophy.

Terrible signing, but don’t remember that strip
Me and my mate were through in Murderwel for leaue match and in local boozer there and in strolled the bold Staale.
No one really knew him but we did and he joined us.
Stood his round at the bar and was just a decent guy.

Mental now when you think of how it all is today.

The singer Alex passed away a couple of years ago. It was and still is a cracking Rangers LP.
Sorry to hear that Alex has passed away and it is still the best Rangers album I've heard. The picture a memory of pre-troubles Belfast and the trips my brother and I made there, calling in with my aunt who managed a wee shop on Sandy Row.

I couldn’t argue with you. Just seem to recall coming back from that Cup Final to be told by my mates that the picture had gone off momentarily during the live broadcast and a religious image was shown. Was at the Cologne game as well so might just be my memory letting me down - again!
Was definitely Cologne game. STV used to show Jesus of Nazareth ( starring Robert Powell) on a Sunday and an advertising still picture from the drama showing the crucifixion was flashed up live during the game.

When was the last time a group photo of the squad in front of our iconic Main Stand was taken?
I've seen many team photos in fairly recent times of the squad in a preseason shoot taken in front of the Sandy Jardine Stand as the backdrop. The old pics with the criss cross Archibald Leitch creation behind them has a certain feel to it.
Also would like to see an open day like before when the squad would take up their positions seated and a full stand of fans behind them, like before, posing for a photo before the season starts.
Would love this to return, gets money in the coffers and the pics would go down in history like those from way back when.
They could even sell such photos in a club shop :cool:

Seriously though - it is a great idea. When I was younger, they always had the squad pictures with the Govan Stand, or Copland now & again, as the backdrop but the Main Stand would make for a wonderful image.

They could even sell such photos in a club shop :cool:

Seriously though - it is a great idea. When I was younger, they always had the squad pictures with the Govan Stand, or Copland now & again, as the backdrop but the Main Stand would make for a wonderful image.
I don’t know why the Club changed from taking the team photograph from in front of the Main Stand. The only team photo I have seen from Scot Symon’s era that was not taken in front of the Main Stand was one where the first, second and third teams were crammed in the warm up area within the Main Stand. It was as if weather conditions were not conducive to the photo being taken.

It has been over 35 years since I was last in the Main Stand but it was in the warm up area which you could look down into from the concourse above. Maybe it is still there.

I don’t know why the Club changed from taking the team photograph from in front of the Main Stand. The only team photo I have seen from Scot Symon’s era that was not taken in front of the Main Stand was one where the first, second and third teams were crammed in the warm up area within the Main Stand. It was as if weather conditions were not conducive to the photo being taken.

It has been over 35 years since I was last in the Main Stand but it was in the warm up area which you could look down into from the concourse above. Maybe it is still there.
I think the move from the Main Stand as the backdrop came in during the 1980s once the new stands were up and I assume the club wanted to show them off?

Back