Tav looked so far off it today

I genuinely think there are some folk who automatically want to blame Tavernier every time we don't win.

He wasn't great today, but his performance was nothing to do with us dropping points.
Like giving away a stupid foul which lead to the corner, and standing looking about giving the impression of a wee lost boy when the corner was being taken, instead making sure his area was defended.

The Tav fanboys will not like the OP.

However Tav was shocking today.
The free kick he needlessly conceded near the UBs in the 88th min which ultimately lead to the skittery fartz goal was amateur stuff.

The Mackay Steven dive?

Like giving away a stupid foul which lead to the corner, and standing looking about giving the impression of a wee lost boy when the corner was being taken, instead making sure his area was defended.
As soon as I saw he was selected I thought he is going to commit a stupid mistake and it may cost us, I see some are calling him calamity James unfair I would say to a guy who has gave as much as he can to the club but still hard to argue with.

2/10 score today.
One of the worst Captain’s performances I’ve seen. Poor defending. Nothing going forward.
Worst of all- absolutely terrible body language.
Can anyone imagine Gough or Barry Ferguson hiding like Tavernier did today? No chance.

Last edited:
I can see this being tavs last season here, him and Goldson will be away. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see aribo and kamara leave too next summer

He is finished and I don't think anyone who is truly honest or blinkered( our manager) can deny it he offers us absolutely zero, he was not the worst player today or near it but he does nothing to actually help us considering we play with wing backs, that's why English clubs are eyeing up Patterson and not interested in our first choice captain,
Ffs get a grip. Finished my ass. Our dropped points are caused by lack of goals. We should have been 3 up before they scored.
2 people caused that result today
Firstly Alfredo who was shocking, looks unfit and lacking sharpness and missed 3great chances.
Secondly The Manager, substitutions were terrible. Bacuna for Wright was crazy and Alfie should have been hooked on 60 mins.

I thought he was decent first half but second half I thought he looked so short on confidence. So many occasions which seemed ripe for him keeping the ball and driving forward and he passed up the opportunity. Very unlike him because even when he’s not playing well I generally think he looks fine mentally.

Hopefully something he can get over quite quickly because as much as Patterson is a huge prospect, Tav is our best RB on his day.

The problem is when Patterson plays the fans are expecting a 10/10 performance or crying for tav back in, The most in form should play and just now that’s Patterson.
Never happened with Tav, or will happen. He plays. End of. Run of nightmares or not, he starts. I've made peace with it.

I was going to create a thread on this topic but did not want to be accused of the usual tav bashing, he was not the worst player today however it's becoming more and more clear to me Patterson is the better option. Reasons why:

Tav looks to me like he either has lost a yard of pace or he is not as sharp as he was last season. In previous seasons he would take on the full back for pace and beat him. I've hardly seen this since prior to his injury last season. In the majority of games I've seen Patterson he will continue to drive at the opposite full back.

Our tactics rely on the full backs providing the creativity from the sides, he (tav) has been lacking in this department this season also. Often hitting the first man or his cross goes too long.

We have a youngster who we can all see is a special talent impacting games more than tav at the moment.He is not only doing it at club level (when given a chance) but at international level also.

Tin hat on but for me Patterson should be starting the next few games...

There was a thread on here the other day about Tav and Patterson.

I want to change my mind and say Patterson (is better) please. Tav couldn't cross a road just now.

The problem with tav today was that he never really done much. The only thing i can think of is giving away that silly foul by the corner flag in the lasy few minutes. That attacking threat seems to have gone this season.

He looked miles off it and a few times hagi was looking for him out wide and he was was nowhere to be seen.

Looked to be blowing out his arse in all honesty

I also noticed Bacuna was helping him out a lot towards the end, both of them doubling up against 1 Hearts player to stop crosses. Certainly not providing the attacking threat of last season. Maybe once Jack is back it will give Tav more licence to get forward.

Seemed to be 2nd to every ball, easily out muscled and skinned multiple times and absolutely woeful going forward. Looked nothing like himself in all honesty. If I was Nathan Patterson I'd be disappointed not to be in the team for Thursday after a performance like that from Tav.
Looks terrified to take an advanced role on the park. Just not the same player as last year.

I thought he was decent first half but second half I thought he looked so short on confidence. So many occasions which seemed ripe for him keeping the ball and driving forward and he passed up the opportunity. Very unlike him because even when he’s not playing well I generally think he looks fine mentally.

Hopefully something he can get over quite quickly because as much as Patterson is a huge prospect, Tav is our best RB on his day.
Your having a laugh surely.

I don't think Tav has looked particularly fit all season to be honest.

He doesn't seem to be getting up and down the park like he was last season.

I lost count the number of times he failed to overlap when normally he'd be hitting the byline, no idea why this has changed.

Tav, Goldson etc don't look at it this season.

Too much partying in the off-season, I dunno, but they both looked sluggish on return, and it was the same story of Tav today.

Patterson would be getting a run now if it were up to me.

I lost count the number of times he failed to overlap when normally he'd be hitting the byline, no idea why this has changed.

There was an instance in the 2nd half, can't remember who it was, they were in central midfield, might have been Lundstram, they were looking to play the ball out to Tav around the half way line but he's 20 yards further back. That never usually happens.

He's always there showing for the ball.

There was an instance in the 2nd half, can't remember who it was, they were in central midfield, might have been Lundstram, they were looking to play the ball out to Tav around the half way line but he's 20 yards further back. That never usually happens.

It happened a few times, this may or may not be the same incident but there was definitely one with Lundstram where he had to take the ball all the way upfield himself as there was no one to pass it to. It was good play but it shouldn't be needed, time and time again today our players were slow to be where they had to be or failed to read the second ball.

On quite a few occasions passes aimed at him went out of play. Quite a few mix ups as well.

Tav getting pelters again . Why isn’t McGregor getting it tight for gifting hearts a goal Always seems to be tav getting it
Because he was rotten... Because he has been rotten all season. Name a game were he was good this season.. McGregor is getting stick, as is Morelos. And rightly so.

Seemed to be 2nd to every ball, easily out muscled and skinned multiple times and absolutely woeful going forward. Looked nothing like himself in all honesty. If I was Nathan Patterson I'd be disappointed not to be in the team for Thursday after a performance like that from Tav.
Patterson should’ve started . Tav needs to earn his place back , and again today he was off pace . Morelos’ lack of finishing cost us the points .Morelos needs a spell out the team . What does it say to ROOFE that again he doesn’t get to start . Seven points dropped against hearts , Utd and Motherwell . Basically the good work beating the peasants pissed up against the wall . We need to stop looking to the tims, stop shouting about 56 and get the hard work done

Really poor performance today, he should have been subbed off at half time.

Maybe Patterson should be first choice RB in future.

When Hearts were celebrating their goal and there were 4mins to go I would have expected Tav to be shaking his fist and exhorting his team mates to a final push. Instead he looked sheepish while Goldson gave him a dressing down. He provided little threat today.

A large percentage of the time his distribution is woeful,

that seems to be forgotten about by many whenever he lays on a pass for a goal or he scores one,

due to the fact he is a defender who spends a lot of his time so far up the pitch,

he gets away with a lot because he is fast and he is fit,

so the 70-80% of mistakes are dismissed for the 20% good,

it's his actual defending which is of prime concern, and I'm not talking specifically against the journeymen teams in Scotland so much,

it is against good players he really struggles to defend

I would go further and actually say that his bottle went today.
2 mins before the equaliser he lunged in on McKay-Smith who was going nowhere results in a dangerous free kick which leads to the corner they scored from.

It was a ridiculous lazy challenge which he shouldn’t have made.

He was excellent first half I thought. Like the whole team, fell away badly second half.

Not a critic of Tav generally however for anyone to suggest he wasn’t poor today is pretty mystifying. Morelos equally as poor but in general we were decent today while lacking the cutting edge. Patterson should play on Thursday, as for Morelos we need to hope he’s in the mood, he needs to work a whole lot harder and make things happen for himself.

Patterson can quite rightly feel aggrieved at not playing in front of tav.

Tav has been a fantastic servant but atm young Nathan is in superior form. Captain or not tav should be on the bench moving forward until Nathan's performance dips.

He gave away a cheap free kick that led to a cheap corner that led to a cheap goal. Few got pass marks today but

Tav getting pelters again . Why isn’t McGregor getting it tight for gifting hearts a goal Always seems to be tav getting it
Maybe because of the number of times he saved us even today a few times when Hearts were through on goal.
Big mistake for the goal but we lost as Morelos could not convert the many chances he had.

Back