Alan McGregor

Twosignals

Ok so he ballsed it, however there have been a few signs age may be catching up, he is undoubtedly a shot stopper, cross balls even Andy Goram was suspect, how many have their heart in their hands with extremely dodgy kick outs close to the box. I would not like to see a player that has given great service to this Club be remembered for silly mistakes, be better if we used him sparingly.

All goalies drop clangers now and then. It’s easy to read too much into it based on age.

But it is clear when someone gets to a certain age they need to be phased out

I literally was happy and almost celebrating seeing him going to deal with the cross at their goal. It looked like he had it all the way and was going to relieve the pressure but sadly not.

He’s never been good at coming out for crosses, it’s been that way his whole career.

He makes up for it imo with his fantastic shot stopping which he’s showed on many occasions. Including today where our defense made Barrie Mackay look like prime Maradona at one point

His kicks to the full backs are behind them so it's puts them in trouble straight off. That said, his saves today were first class.

Players can make mistake but if its a keeper it usually means we've lost a goal

One of our better performers today. He made a few big saves, going by my view in the Main Stand.

It was an error, but McGregor is nowhere near showing signs of age, I would argue the only one that is is Davis and its happening rapidly.

McGregor if he wants, could play another 2-3 years.

Never been the best at dealing with cross balls or with the ball at his feet regardless of age. Made a couple of great saves prior to the equaliser.

The dropped points today are solely at players at the top end of the pitch imho

McLaughlin should be no 1, this season he’s just looked the better goalkeeper. McLaughlin comes and catches that ball out the air and we win that game. Plus the saves he made weren’t out of the ordinary, they were saves you’d expect your keeper to make.

I hope its not going to be something similar to what happened to iker casillas. Hero to zero in a season at madrid

OK mistake cost us a win but if it wasn't for him we would have lost. A bit of slack needed here. For me we missed a couple of chances at the other end which is more concerning as well as the defending in front of McGregor.
McGregor is the least of our problems.

Wtf is it with the constant barrage against mcgregor has proved time and time again he's the best goalie in scotland, every player makes a cant of it in games it just means unfortunately his fcuk up's costs a goal

His error cost us the points but he's not to blame. Don't know if that makes sense.

As other said he kept us in it with a couple top saves before that and if the forwards done their job the other 89-minutes and the manager never made those subs, then we're not talking about Alan McGregor here.

It's the age-old adage that sadly when a goalkeeper makes an error it's usually a goal. Other players don't have that responsibility on their shoulders.
When he lost the goal, we should have been 4-0 up, that's on Morelos & Gerrard for keeping him on the pitch after missing 2 sitters and one half decent chance.

Our keeper cost us today. Sadly when a keeper makes a mistake it usually leads to a goal.
But he has won us many a game with his saves.
McGregor knows he was at fault himself.

I'm afraid that Greegs has an error in every game now. Why does he try to punch every cross that could be caught?

He's been a tremendous keeper for us, but inevitably he's losing his edge.

I'm concerned.

When did McLaughlin last cost us any points? I love McGregor but overall McLaughlin is better now.
Aye but I think the perspective is clouded here, yes McGregor was at fault for the goal
Today however if it weren’t for him we would probably have conceded a further 2 at least.

The same people call for a settled 11 but as soon as someone has a bad game it’s a case of get him dropped.

McGregor is our best goalkeeper by far and large and when fit he starts every game.

Nonsense mate, when did McLaughlin last make a save worthy of its own thread on here?

He recently saved a penalty which usually gets some credit and his stats since joining are superb. In fact, I'm struggling to think of any huge mistakes he's made but due to the weird cult status McGregor has on here any other goalie on our books never gets a fair shout.

A horrible mistake today but nobody will be more disappointed than Allan himself. He has plenty of credit in the bank to cover this. Still our best keeper by quite a distance.

I said it in another thread. That was a straightforward keeper's ball every day of the week. As for this "he's got credit" argument, imo that was used up in the cup tie against St Johnstone in at Ibrox last season. That too imo was a goalie's ball every time as far as I'm concerned. Greeg's weakness is cross balls and it cost us again today. There is no room for sentiment imo. If gets losing goals like that he should be dropped.

All goalies drop clangers now and then. It’s easy to read too much into it based on age.

But it is clear when someone gets to a certain age they need to be phased out
Can only drop it if you've caught it. Only time I can remember that I can't even tell what he was trying to do

If he was not as good we would have got beat 3/1 today why is thus even getting disused

Back