Alfredo is wasted

Great at control is an exaggeration I'm afraid. His first touch was terrible the whole game. He leads the line and drops deep on occassion, that's his game same as today. Just today he was very wasteful.

Alfredo is turning himself from a 30 to 15 goal man with his lacklustre approach and poor touch

He needs to be front and centre. Great at control and bringing others into the game but we have lost our threat in the penalty box. We are turning a 30 goal man into a 15 goal man.

I disagree completely. His lack of goals has nothing to do with him dropping back.

He had 4 or 5 good chances today, one almost tap in and fluffed the lot, nowt to do with dropping back.

He needs to be front and centre. Great at control and bringing others into the game but we have lost our threat in the penalty box. We are turning a 30 goal man into a 15 goal man.

"Great at control". You must be joking?

Great at control is an exaggeration I'm afraid. His first touch was terrible the whole game. He leads the line and drops deep on occassion, that's his game same as today. Just today he was very wasteful.

Alfredo is turning himself from a 30 to 15 goal man with his lacklustre approach and poor touch
Must have been watching a different game. Alfredo is one of the players you can rely on controlling anything hit at him.

Where he was played was pretty normal today-he had an off day in front of goal and I'm imaging maybe even hoping that missed chance wasn't as bad as it seemed at the game.

How does his positioning relate to him not scoring at least a brace today?

So far this season I've had a little bit of sympathy for the strikers because despite not being on the form they've not had great service.

Today was different though, we played some great stuff and put a few chances on a plate for Morelos and he made a cünt of it.

Our football has seen an improvement recently, if the strikers can now wake up we'll be ok.

Must have been watching a different game. Alfredo is one of the players you can rely on controlling anything hit at him.
Folk on here either aren’t watching the games or know nothing. The guy is a 30 goal striker turned into 15. The others are not stepping upto the mark to replace his goals. So what do you do? Put him back front and centre and get the others to go wide etc

We’ve got a right strange support at times when it comes to talking down our own players. A player who at his best is brilliant at taking the ball in, making it stick and switching play, we’ve seen him do this countless times against top class opposition in Europe, yet we’ve got someone baulking at the idea his control is good. Makes you wonder why people bear such passionate grudges against some of our own. Weirdos

Combination of a few things.

We're missing Kent right now but even at the start of the season he was poor. We don't really have a settled best front 3. We don't really have a settled best midfield 3. That isnt a good situation as we're not creating enough from midfield and we're not getting enough creativity from the wide forwards. Those things improve then Morelos should find it easier to get back into the goals. I'd suggest that the front 3 needs to be sorted. Is that Morelos with Roofe and somebody else either side of him? Is it Morelos up front with Roofe playing off him? Thats for Gerrard and his coaching staff to find out.

But there's no way that Morelos isnt a little bit unsettled. He had the bid from Lille that we knocked back. It took him a while to get over that and to get his conditioning back, but he eventually knuckled down and played well in our European run and in the league. He even cut down on some of the daft things he has a history of being caught up in. But nobody came in again for him. He didnt get a move to a bigger club. The Champions League was an opportunity to put in in the shop window on Europe's biggest stage for club football but we blew our chance of qualifying. You also have to ask whether or not his utterly wasted trip over to South America for the Copa has him asking whether or not he needs to move in order to get a proper chance of international football? It's clear that whilst he'll sometimes make a squad, the Colombia manager doesnt rate him enough to give him meaningful match time. He's squad filler as far as the national team is concerned and that has to be playing on his mind.

Partly it's the team not really playing well. Morelos is part of that as well as suffering from it. Part of it has to be down to being slightly unsettled/frustrated. We're at a stage where it may be best for both parties if we can find a way to bring in a decent fee for him. If a team down south was in desperate need of a striker in the January window and willing to pay decent money for a chance of securing their place in the EPL then it may be time to cash in, give the player the move he wants and give the club the money we'll need in the summer to help fund our rebuilding.

Not good enough to be dropping deep and linking up play. So many times today the ball was out wide, ready to be crossed in and there was no one there.

Roofe done more in 10-15 minutes than he did in 90.

I think we have enough quality in other forward positions that it might be an idea to have Morelos staying higher / in the penalty box more like he used to. He had enough chances regardless but would be interesting

Hit the ball down the flanks to him and that's where he is at his best, pulling defenders out of the game to create space for others, his touch at times and short passing with his back to goal are letting him down.

There’s positives and negatives to it, but we need him to play the way he used to whilst also controlling his temper like he does in the new role.

His finishing today was abysmal.

He pulled the chance he was given by Roofe and that should have been the marker to get his shit together.

Then he went on to miss an absolute sitter, I couldn’t believe he missed it, I really couldn’t.

As for his positioning, I can see the point in him coming deeper and holding up play in Europe, but in the Premiership it should not be necessary.

He should be an out and out goal scorer in the league.

Take your pick of Kent, Hagi, Wright, Roofe, Aribo, Bacuna behind him and Borna, Bassey, Tav and Patterson overlapping.
We have plenty of ammo for Morelos to concentrate on doing a job in the box.

We bossed todays match for 80 minutes and should have went home with 3 points, I’m totally pissed off we let them back in and didn’t kill them off.

He doesn't seem to run in behind as much as he did in Gerrards 1st couple seasons.

Whilst not the quickest he got a lot of joy running channel between full back and centre back wish he would do it more often.

I don't really know what's better

Last season Morelos looked sublime at times and our whole team was scoring goals all over the place.

But I do miss the Morelos who was greedy and you could depend on him scoring basically every game.

totally agree. He is dropping into the midfield far too much. Total waste.

I disagree completely. His lack of goals has nothing to do with him dropping back.

He had 4 or 5 good chances today, one almost tap in and fluffed the lot, nowt to do with dropping back.
To be fair Morelos was always like that, the amount of threads I've read on here moaning about him missing a sitter or having a terrible game then out of nowhere he just scores 2 belters. I guess (don't have statics to look at/back me up) the only difference is when he was in a more direct role he was getting more shots so the goals were coming more often.

We’ve got a right strange support at times when it comes to talking down our own players. A player who at his best is brilliant at taking the ball in, making it stick and switching play, we’ve seen him do this countless times against top class opposition in Europe, yet we’ve got someone baulking at the idea his control is good. Makes you wonder why people bear such passionate grudges against some of our own. Weirdos

Agreed, in Europe it works.

Not in the league though, as it a completely different demographic we face, team formations in Europe and the league are vastly different.

Exactly I have been posting this for weeks we are losing a great penalty box striker for what reason I don't know but when he goes some team will use him to their benefit.

His finishing today was abysmal.

He pulled the chance he was given by Roofe and that should have been the marker to get his shit together.

Then he went on to miss an absolute sitter, I couldn’t believe he missed it, I really couldn’t.

As for his positioning, I can see the point in him coming deeper and holding up play in Europe, but in the Premiership it should not be necessary.

He should be an out and out goal scorer in the league.

Take your pick of Kent, Hagi, Wright, Roofe, Aribo, Bacuna behind him and Borna, Bassey, Tav and Patterson overlapping.
We have plenty of ammo for Morelos to concentrate on doing a job in the box.

We bossed todays match for 80 minutes and should have went home with 3 points, I’m totally pissed off we let them back in and didn’t kill them off.
Tav couldn't give ammo to me never mind Alfie.

That’s a fair argument pal. But he’s not a natural finisher of really high quality like I hate to say it edouard was. He’s still very good. He needs to be in the mix to get his goals and he will do it. The vast majority of the time he is doing his best work far too wide.

Alfredo today was a nightmare. A shadow of the player he can be. Former Rangers reserve Halkett had Alfie in his pocket all day and had time to notch an equaliser.

"Great at control". You must be joking?
No he’s not. Alfredo does have a very good touch. If you think he gets a called up for Colombia and can’t control a football then your judgment is clouded. A ball might bounce off him from time to time but that can and does happen to all footballers. He’s our best player, and there won’t be many arguments about that, and best players for clubs of our size, generally can control a ball.

Back